Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Isn't the IMEI usually somewhere on the device itself? Back in the days of removable batteries, it was often on the battery lid or behind the battery. I'm reading that on the nexus 6 it was on the sim tray, so maybe check there if you don't still have the box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Edit: I'm a big dummy and didn't realize IMEI printing was still required on the physical device somewhere.

Verizon's website says the Pixel's IMEI is printed on the SIM tray.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 28, 2017

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Either the box or the device will list the IMEI. Additionally your Verizon account will likely have the IMEI listed under your phone number's info.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

cage-free egghead posted:

Either the box or the device will list the IMEI. Additionally your Verizon account will likely have the IMEI listed under your phone number's info.

Google dashboard also has imeis for devices

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

So, Samsung Galaxy S8 is the first phone with Bluetooth 5 in it, which is supposed to double the range. This is pretty important for me, because I've had like 10 different models of LG Tone headsets and they all cut out on me. Phone is in my front pants pocket and headset is on my neck.

My question is, wouldn't both the phone and the headset need to support BT 5 to get the range benefit? And are there any BT 5 headsets in existence yet, or announced?

I own a pair of LG Tone headphones and I can literally put a wall between myself and my phone without issues.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I just rage bought an iPhone 7 Plus because the Nexus 4 I was using as a spare while my 6P was being repaired was doing my head in.

I wish Google would release the Pixel here, there's no way I'm paying iPhone prices for a shady parallel import with no proper support.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

IMEI chat:

The IMEI is not on the SIM tray, it just shows the address for Google HQ or some poo poo. I got my Pixel straight from Google, idk if Verizon models are different.

I'll check the refurb box it came in when I get home for the IMEI.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Using the Awful app this afternoon and my phone freezes up, then reboots. It's now stuck in a bootloop at the Google logo. I've tried going into the Power+Vol. down menu and selecting recovery but the same thing happens. Any idea on what I can do?

It's a Nexus 5X, should have the latest version and it's not rooted or anything. Bought it in December 2015, think it's just out of warranty.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

It's a Nexus 5X, should have the latest version and it's not rooted or anything. Bought it in December 2015, think it's just out of warranty.

An LG stuck in a bootloop? We might have to investigate this further.

Spoiler:LG's are poo poo and routinely fail and bootloop out of warranty. Sorry.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/lg-bootloop-defect-lawsuit-expands-to-cover-g5-v20-and-nexus-5x-devices/

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 28, 2017

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mental Hospitality posted:

An LG stuck in a bootloop? We might have to investigate this further.

Spoiler:LG's are poo poo and routinely fail and bootloop out of warranty. Sorry.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/lg-bootloop-defect-lawsuit-expands-to-cover-g5-v20-and-nexus-5x-devices/

Apple here I come! :regd09:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Apple here I come! :regd09:

Buy a pixel

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Taffer posted:

Buy a pixel

For $1000 NZD? No loving way.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Red_Fred posted:

$1000 and not even God knows if you'll get it while it's still relevant.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I overwrote the wrong partition or something when I was installing root and my phone no longer had an IMEI number and could make no calls or get a signal. :waycool: Thank god downloading and flashing the factory images worked.

Edit: don't buy a Pixel.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 28, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's not the phone, it's you for trying to root it and failing miserably.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not the phone, it's you for trying to root it and failing miserably.

It's not what the post is saying, it's you for trying to read it and failing miserably.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I know we're mostly talking about phones here - but I bought an Acer CB 14 because I'd heard it made ~the list~ of Chromebooks that'd get the Play Store without having to jump through hoops to get it. But they're never going to *simply* enable it, it'll forever require unlocking, because hey, if you want easy Play Store app access, buy a tablet, too!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Go yell at the retailer - it's pretty hard to argue that amount of time is reasonable for a midrange smartphone.

dont be mean to me posted:

$1000 and not even God knows if you'll get it while it's still relevant.

Oh you can get one easily enough, it'll just be a parallel import with questionable warranty. Which is why I'm typing this on an iPhone.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Buy a Moto G5+.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Not available in NZ, even the parallel importers don't have them

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

IMEI chat:

The IMEI is not on the SIM tray, it just shows the address for Google HQ or some poo poo. I got my Pixel straight from Google, idk if Verizon models are different.

On new devices it comes on a sticker stuck on the device itself. I always peel mine off and stick them on the box for safekeeping.

On refurbs...I don't know because I've never received a refurb when doing a device swap with Google.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

rapeface posted:

I overwrote the wrong partition or something when I was installing root and my phone no longer had an IMEI number and could make no calls or get a signal. :waycool: Thank god downloading and flashing the factory images worked.

lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rapeface posted:

There's no way flashing a factory stock image, which is the same for everyone who downloads it, could restore an erased, unique IMEI number. What you're saying is not what happened and is not possible.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

IMEI is stored on its own chip, so while you can change it, it's also possible to break the phone in a way where it can no longer read the IMEI. And this can be fixed by reinstalling the image.

In summary: Breaking a phone might cause it to be broken? gently caress GOOGLE

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Not available in NZ, even the parallel importers don't have them

Ok I got nothing. Enjoy your beautiful, far-away land!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

I haven't investigated this at all but wouldn't this basically require that your screen lock be keyed to a device that is blasting out all the trivially-spoofable info you'd need to impersonate it 24/7?

So it's about the same level of security as putting a fingerprint reader on a device covered with your fingerprints?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ShoogaSlim posted:

IMEI chat:

Go here.

Click this:

Read this:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tamba posted:

So it's about the same level of security as putting a fingerprint reader on a device covered with your fingerprints?

If it works like Smart Unlock did, it's the same level of security as a permanent PIN lock, since you need to unlock via PIN (or pattern or whatever) in the trusted zone before it enters unlocked status. So spoofing the WiFi doesn't matter.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Maybe you should move somewhere good so you can buy good phones at non-astronomical prices

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ola posted:

IMEI is stored on its own chip, so while you can change it, it's also possible to break the phone in a way where it can no longer read the IMEI. And this can be fixed by reinstalling the image.

In summary: Breaking a phone might cause it to be broken? gently caress GOOGLE

It's pretty hard to do since the Galaxy S/Nexus S though. That phone in particular had a deletable folder (/efs, if I'm remembering correctly) in the file system that would, if deleted, render the IMEI gone forever. It turned out the tools for rooting at the time did this as a matter of course. Since that time, though, I've never heard of anyone permanently losing their IMEI trying to root an Android and certainly not on a Nexus (I'll admit I haven't kept up with how things are on the Pixel).

If in the process of rooting your Google phone you lose your IMEI, you really went far off the beaten path. It's like three lines in the command line.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

What's even the point of rooting a Nexus or Pixel device though (or really any android phone these days tbh)? Seems kinda pointless.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

What's even the point of rooting a Nexus or Pixel device though (or really any android phone these days tbh)? Seems kinda pointless.

I could kind of see if a game didn't use Google's backup and you didn't want to lose everything but beyond that, there's not really a good reason left.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I used to do it for backups and ad blocking.
Then I realized all my content is stored in the cloud and ad blocking can be done with the GitHub version of Netguard, so there really wasn't any point to it anymore.

Even on a Nexus 5 with a run-down battery, I didn't notice battery usage got worse using Netguard. Same on my Pixel.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yeah, I've never done it before and was going off an outdated guide (before they had the dual boot partitions, I think). I was actually using android dialer codes like *#*#4636#*#* and getting unknown IMEI messages.

I think the backup situation still isn't great as you can't just restore a new phone to be like an old one if it's a different model unless I've missed something. Aside from that and a few disabled Tasker commands, I don't think you need root, I was just curious and getting a new phone is the time to do it.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 28, 2017

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LastInLine posted:

I could kind of see if a game didn't use Google's backup and you didn't want to lose everything but beyond that, there's not really a good reason left.
You still cannot control which app responds to a media button (play/pause, skip, etc) being pressed in TYOOL 2017

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Go here.

Click this:

Read this:

MVP. Thanks!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
The man Google snagged from Amazon to head up the Pixel division has left Google to go back to Amazon.

Hopefully this won't have a negative impact on future Pixel devices, but knowing Google, they'll soon end the Pixel line and come up with something new and probably worse.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They still got the Moto guy, so that's good enough for me.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The man Google snagged from Amazon to head up the Pixel division has left Google to go back to Amazon.

Hopefully this won't have a negative impact on future Pixel devices, but knowing Google, they'll soon end the Pixel line and come up with something new and probably worse.

I think another article somewhere mentioned that he joined after the first Pixel was already fully developed, so I'm not sure he was responsible for Pixel 1 in any substantial way. Still probably doesn't bode well for Pixel 2.

Of course now I can't find that article, so maybe I'm imagining things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That entire position was eliminated by Google and I don't think this will affect the Pixel 2 in literally any way whatsoever. That's my hot take as a phone-obsessed nerdlord, at least!