Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Trading up for a qb has a long storied history of working out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Eli Wiggum posted:

I feel like I have to reiterate that Trubisky only worked out for the Bears once and they never communicated with him until right before they drafted him. Add in the fact that John Fox hates rookie QBs and you have someone who is set up for failure.

1. Workouts are a bit overrated. You can only learn so much from having a dude in shorts or in pads throwing against air. They met with him and talked with him at the combine and after the combine nothing matters. It's all just people losing their mind over analyzing things(outside of situations where someone like kills someone in that time frame)

Game tape of a QB making the throws, going through progressions, and dealing with pressure >>> scripted practiced routines.

2. That's a feature not a bug. Pace had John Fox pretty much forced onto him by Ernie Accorsi and the McCaskeys who wanted a more coachy coach after the trashfire that was Marc Trestman.

I think Pace has more of a leash than John Fox, and a young QB only empowers pace more.

Think about what happened to Lovie as a defensive coach who got backstabbed by the GM he hired and an OC when they drafted a QB.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Dexo posted:

Yes.

Glennon is a stop gap on a great deal(consecutive one year deals), Glennon is the starter this year and there are 3 outcomes; He either proves he sucks , He's mediocre/gets injured, or he plays good /great(lmao).

If he sucks, then back to free agency he goes. If he's mediocre/injured he gets brought back and competes with Mitch. If he's good/great(lmao), He's brought back as the starter Mitch sits another year, and you maybe start looking into trade options for Mitch, and you keep him as a backup for the time being.

This probably buys Pace extra time. And gives Pace a reasoning in the offseason to shitcan Fox with the cover of getting an offensive mind in here to mold the young QB.

Yeah, that makes sense. Pace did have a pretty good draft last year so this probably is more about Fox shitcanned next season because lol @ the idea of Fox developing young QBs.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Dexo posted:

The Bears weren't worried about the Niners. They were worried about other teams looking for QB's trading up for him.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

:allears:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Chiefs trade was less funny but still funny

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Dude it's okay your team made a bad trade. It's cool my team once let Mike Ditka trade all his picks to move up a few spots to get Ricky Williams

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Eli Wiggum posted:

I feel like I have to reiterate that Trubisky only worked out for the Bears once and they never communicated with him until right before they drafted him. Add in the fact that John Fox hates rookie QBs and you have someone who is set up for failure.

How many teams had multiple one-on-one workouts with their first round draft picks this year?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DariusLikewise posted:

How many teams had multiple one-on-one workouts with their first round draft picks this year?

The Packers didn't, so the Bears are clearly emulating success :smaug:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Christ, twice in one offseason

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lets assume that's true(Reports are dumb and often made up, as the Bears were linked to Solomon Thomas immediately after trading up, they were linked to Deshaun Watson, people were saying they were trading back like 2 minutes before the news of them trading up happened)

I still don't care. The process is the process. People get bluffed in poker all the time. Good for the Niners to bluff and get those 3 extra lottery tickets out of the Bears.

If Pace thinks Mitch Trubisky can be a top flight starter, then the 3 picks they gave up is more than likely miniscule compared to the value of having that QB.

Do you think the Eagles give a gently caress about what they traded to get Wentz? It's on the GM to put a team around him now. And Maybe he regresses and sucks from here on out, but fortune favors the bold rather than hoping some QB falls to you. and when it doesn't saying aww shucks guess we are still not gonna have a future at the position. Maybe next time.

The Rams care, but only because Goff is trash.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Dexo posted:

"Don't judge a player before they play!"

*Player plays half a season*

"What loving trash!"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Dexo posted:

but fortune favors the bold

*looks at last 40 years of teams trading up for QBs* hmmm not so sure about that one

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Jared Goff is much, much better than Tribisky. Like a lot better

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Also lol @ lottery tickets

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Also lol @ lottery tickets

I like how even in this metaphor, he's arguing that it's good to have fewer lottery tickets because the one you have might win

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Dexo posted:

Lets assume that's true(Reports are dumb and often made up, as the Bears were linked to Solomon Thomas immediately after trading up, they were linked to Deshaun Watson, people were saying they were trading back like 2 minutes before the news of them trading up happened)

I still don't care. The process is the process. People get bluffed in poker all the time. Good for the Niners to bluff and get those 3 extra lottery tickets out of the Bears.

If Pace thinks Mitch Trubisky can be a top flight starter, then the 3 picks they gave up is more than likely miniscule compared to the value of having that QB.

Do you think the Eagles give a gently caress about what they traded to get Wentz? It's on the GM to put a team around him now. And Maybe he regresses and sucks from here on out, but fortune favors the bold rather than hoping some QB falls to you. and when it doesn't saying aww shucks guess we are still not gonna have a future at the position. Maybe next time.

How does fortune favor the bold when it's worked out once in two decades

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Little early to have Stockholm syndrome about a bad trade and bad pick

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/858012213583294464

Another bad season coming for Rogers

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a neat cape posted:

How does fortune favor the bold when it's worked out once in two decades

it has to have worked out more often than that, right?

right?????

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mastershakeman posted:

right?????

it depends on how you think Vick "worked out"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

If a draft pick is a lottery ticket it would make sense to get as many of them as possible and use every one of them on a quarterback.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Will he be able to touch her or will the hoverhanding intensify?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

While I can appreciate the emotional appeal of "well, it may have been stupid and rash, at least it was different, and we need a change" it feels like a look around at our current political situation would provide a strong counter argument.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

right?????
Eli and Flacco is two.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

right?????

Eli.

Vick maybe

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a neat cape posted:

The Chiefs trade was less funny but still funny

Disagree. Not sure what you think it takes to move up 17 spots?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

Disagree. Not sure what you think it takes to move up 17 spots?

Trading that far for mahomes is funny

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Diva Cupcake posted:

Eli and Flacco is two.

I don't know if I'd include Flacco in there; the Ravens traded down from 8th, then back up from 26th to get Flacco 18th that year. They could have had him with their original pick

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

Trading that far for mahomes is funny

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Dexo posted:

Its true, if the HC and FO are on the same page on the QB of the future and this was well thought out and thoroughly deliberated and not spur of the moment, its a good tr--

http://twitter.com/SeifertESPN/status/858012438117142528

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
^ haha Fox is so hosed

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/858010506736619521

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Its true, if the HC and FO are on the same page on the QB of the future and this was well thought out and thoroughly deliberated and not spur of the moment, its a good tr--

http://twitter.com/SeifertESPN/status/858012438117142528

All that does is answer the question people have been asking around here for a while now. Who is actually in control up at Halas Hall, as it's been questioned if a Young GM in Pace could actually make his own decisions without having to run it by Fox's old rear end.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
At least the Chiefs have a chance to become the mid 90s packers

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I thought we had a deal!

You seen this FaceApp? Female Jimmy looks like Cobie Smulders that's gotta be worth another third.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hue baby come on we got all the QB you could ever need

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/857974454273572864

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Imagine what the new look browns would have gotten out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Wonder what they offered.

• Locked thread