Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Did you actually read what it said? You should.
I did. In reality though Zuck thinks he has a shot and that's why he's going around doing this poo poo.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Thread on Fyre Festival here. poo poo now has mainstream exposure and the U.S. Embassy is even involved to get people home.

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/857868428752953344

The one-week CR cleared the House on a 380-32 vote, heads to the Senate where they've fast-tracked it for a quick vote later.

Edit: Senate passed CR by voice vote, now at Donnie's desk for signature.

https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/857988087758114819

And the US is for direct talks with Best Korea, per Tillerson.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/857965333180821505

The US is no longer for direct talks with Best Korea, per Tillerson.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 28, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looks like we come to work on Monday :toot:

Don't know about the week after though! :downs:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
CNN pop'd me an alert that US is "ready for military action if necessary"

I wonder what SPF I need to protect myself from a man made nuclear glow

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Chichevache posted:

Black people didn't vote Trump.

There's enough blame to go around!

Trump won by ~100,000 votes in the Rust Belt. Compared to 2012:
  • Clinton lost 400,000 minority votes in the Rust Belt.
  • Trump gained 130,000 minority votes in the Rust Belt.

:patriot:

(I haven't seen black-specific stats)

Edit: I should probably source that.

Compared to 2012, across the Rust Belt:
  • DEM: -1.35m votes
  • GOP: +0.59m votes
(Source)

Note: "BIPOC," is, "Black, Indigenous and Person Of Color."

Clinton lost/Trump won due to a combination of Democratic support collapsing across the board and Trump achieving meager gains across the board. Every demographic played a part.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 28, 2017

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think most of Trump's gain in minority votes came from Hispanics. Pundits misread Hispanic American views on immigration by a mile, assuming some sort of weird unified racial consciousness. There's a significant fraction of Hispanic Americans who really hate the concept of illegal immigration.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You know why trump keeps talking about the election? Because everyone else does too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Alex Jones lost his kids. Took the jury 9 hours.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarzel/jones-trial-verdict?utm_term=.tceQBQ7M4X#.qvxvzv4kmD

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

is he counting on millennials voting for him bc :lol:

Haha! You think anyone under 30 actually uses Facebook. It is the place where olds get all their fake news.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

TBeats posted:

You know why trump keeps talking about the election? Because everyone else does too.

Because Democrats will repeat their mistakes in '18 and '20.

Did you know that the party spent eight years dissolving under Obama?

Article: Have Democrats lost 900 seats in state legislatures since Obama has been president? | [True]
From: Politifact
Date: January 25, 2015

Overall, Sabato wrote, Democrats during Obama’s presidency lost 11 governorships, 13 U.S. Senate seats, 69 House seats, and 913 state legislative seats and 30 state legislative chambers. (Our analysis of legislative seats is off from Sabato’s by three. The small discrepancy is likely due to run-offs and recounts.)

Article: Republicans Now Control Record Number of State Legislative Chambers
From: CBS News
Date: November 16, 2016

Republicans are now in control of a record 67 (68 percent) of the 98 partisan state legislative chambers in the nation, more than twice the number (31) in which Democrats have a majority, according to the bipartisan National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL).

“That’s more than at any other time in the history of the Republican Party,” according to NCSL. “They also hold more total seats, well over 4,100 of the 7,383, than they have since 1920.”

Next year, the GOP will control both legislative chambers in 32 states - an all-time high, according to NCSL - while Democrats will have total control of just 13 state legislatures.

In 24 of the 32 states with Republican-controlled legislatures, voters have also elected Republican governors. In contrast, Democrats have a “political trifecta” in just six states.

They learned nothing from these failures, just like they'll have learned nothing from Clinton's loss.

If the Democrats make gains in '18 and '20, it won't be because of them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The CE thread is a flat circle.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

quote:

Testimony from Jones' March 4 deposition revealed that he was unable to recall the names of his children's teachers after eating a big bowl of chili. He admitted to occasionally smoking marijuana — nearly yearly — “to monitor its strength, which is how law enforcement does it.” And in typical Jonesian fashion, he told the court he tested the drug because he believes it is now too strong, thanks to billionaire and political donor George Soros

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

facialimpediment posted:

Thread on Fyre Festival here. poo poo now has mainstream exposure and the U.S. Embassy is even involved to get people home.

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/857868428752953344

The one-week CR cleared the House on a 380-32 vote, heads to the Senate where they've fast-tracked it for a quick vote later.

Edit: Senate passed CR by voice vote, now at Donnie's desk for signature.

https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/857988087758114819

And the US is for direct talks with Best Korea, per Tillerson.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/857965333180821505

The US is no longer for direct talks with Best Korea, per Tillerson.

I really don't get it. The North Koreans won't dismantle their nuclear program without getting something in return. By saying there won't be negotiations before they scrap their nukes you are basically ruling out diplomatic options entirely, right?

Or perhaps Tillerson and co. believe that diplomacy is impossible. That Kim won't give up his toys because he thinks (probably justified) that only having nukes will make him safe from America (or even China) deciding to do regime in North Korea.

Either way, it's a bad sign all around.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Best Friends posted:

I think most of Trump's gain in minority votes came from Hispanics. Pundits misread Hispanic American views on immigration by a mile, assuming some sort of weird unified racial consciousness. There's a significant fraction of Hispanic Americans who really hate the concept of illegal immigration.

Anecdotally, the most outspoken fan of Trump that I know is a second generation American of Mexican descent. He voted for Trump purely based on let me keep my guns, and gently caress the illegals. His parents came from Mexico legally, so gently caress you got mine is fully in effect.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

TBeats posted:

The CE thread is a flat circle.

It's the the same drat twitter posts posted over and over.

Rename to the twitter thread.

E: like why not just link the news articles instead of linking to a twitter post that links to a news article :psyduck:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

It's the the same drat twitter posts posted over and over.

Rename to the twitter thread.

E: like why not just link the news articles instead of linking to a twitter post that links to a news article :psyduck:

I'm lazy and tweets have a small abstract. Plus I like giving credit to people who say something funny/smart

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'm lazy and tweets have a small abstract. Plus I like giving credit to people who say something funny/smart

I am thoroughly unoriginal and with the onset of FAKE NEWS, it's good to link sources. Plus, on PC, there's a cool forum function that blows up the tweet as a picture (which is why you really shouldn't quote twitter links).

As for Best Korea, the Trump administration's policy is the same as all of their other policies: react. They have no strategy, no plan, and no overarching goal to try and hit. poo poo just happens and the administration reacts. That's why Tillerson flip-flopped in a day and went back to Obama's "pre-step" policy and just renamed it "concrete steps". Hurry up and wait.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Democrats don't do themselves any favors in Texas with their national platform of 'gently caress energy that isn't renewable' because if there is one thing people love it's the best game in town for jobs and pay being attacked

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Democrats don't do themselves any favors in Texas with their national platform of 'gently caress energy that isn't renewable' because if there is one thing people love it's the best game in town for jobs and pay being attacked

Its okay, we've opened up our national Marine wildlife refuges, they can drill, baby, drill all day every day now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Democrats don't do themselves any favors in Texas with their national platform of 'gently caress energy that isn't renewable' because if there is one thing people love it's the best game in town for jobs and pay being attacked
It's a tough situation when a sizeable portion of the population down there is completely hostile to even the suggestion that we might transition to renewable energy some time in the future. Look at West Virginia, those idiots are completely convinced that we're all going to start driving coal powered cars any day now and they can go back to living the way they did 100 years ago. Which was also in extreme poverty but the coal companies totally have their best interests at heart.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It's kinda hard to run an effective government when a sizeable chunk of the population is voting against its own best interests kinda like a death cult.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Two Rangers killed in Afghanistan

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Best Friends posted:

I think most of Trump's gain in minority votes came from Hispanics. Pundits misread Hispanic American views on immigration by a mile, assuming some sort of weird unified racial consciousness. There's a significant fraction of Hispanic Americans who really hate the concept of illegal immigration.

I think almost everyone read that group wrong. My wife is first generation American, her father and mother immigrated from Mexico. They HATED illegal immigrants. Like with a passion.

Also, either side could really "sweep" and election if they just made very minor changes. Like if the Dem's would lay off the gun control debate, they might get more Rep's heading their way. And if the Rep's got off the abortion bandwagon some Dem's might swing.

Either side could swing huge numbers with one bill proposal. Put solar panels on EVERYTHING. It could be spun as a infrastructure, green energy, jobs, and defense bill all in one. It could work for either party, and bring in others from the opposing faction. The talking heads could spin that bill for days, energy independence, distributed energy grid = less chance of crippling attack, jobs for the production/installation/maintenance of the panels, green energy, etc. They just aren't thinking, on either side.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/857998966977384453

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

ASAPI posted:

And if the Rep's got off the abortion bandwagon some Dem's might swing.

https://twitter.com/PollyRosey/status/857561041781305344

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Is it time yet for CENSORED control to come up for 15-30 posts then get smashed down by decree again?

Lets just talk about how awesome Trump is please.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jesus gently caress these people are morons.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Democrats dropping the great boogeyman is slot easier than Republicans dropping abortion

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Democrats dropping the great boogeyman is slot easier than Republicans dropping abortion

Got it. Republicans get a pass for their bogeyman because it sells to morons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Poe's Law? This sounds a lot more like "hey fetal personhood is dumb as gently caress" but lmao if it's serious.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ASAPI posted:

Either side could swing huge numbers with one bill proposal. Put solar panels on EVERYTHING. It could be spun as a infrastructure, green energy, jobs, and defense bill all in one. It could work for either party, and bring in others from the opposing faction. The talking heads could spin that bill for days, energy independence, distributed energy grid = less chance of crippling attack, jobs for the production/installation/maintenance of the panels, green energy, etc. They just aren't thinking, on either side.

Oh you sweet naive little child, tell me more about how Republicans could easily sell moving to renewable energy :allears:

It's not like the Republican base has a massive hatred for renewable energy as a concept, to the point of attempting to cripple our national r+d pipeline and straight up passing blocking legislation to keep us from using renewables or anything

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Homeowner solar power also scares the gently caress out of utilities and their lobbyists. There are already laws in place in certain cities that force solar homeowners to STILL pay a utility company some minimum cost, even when they're actually sending more electricity back to the utility than what they use from the utility.

To some extent, that makes some sense, since utilities would go into deathspirals if they actually lost too many paying customers. Still, the utility lobbyists will be all over Washington DC before any semblance of a bill that big gets close to passage, Democrats or Republican, so it's really just not a purely Republican thing.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Professor Bling posted:

Oh you sweet naive little child, tell me more about how Republicans could easily sell moving to renewable energy :allears:

It's not like the Republican base has a massive hatred for renewable energy as a concept, to the point of attempting to cripple our national r+d pipeline and straight up passing blocking legislation to keep us from using renewables or anything

You have a point. Either party that tries this would have to come after a purge of sorts. I never understood why people tend to vote the incumbent back into office all the time. You would think that there would be more turnover. Congressman/Senator/Mayor/Whatever didn't do what they said they would do? Vote someone else in.

As for how the Rep's could sell it, just focus on the the party lines of "energy independence", "strengthening our power infrastructure from attack", "lets make poo poo loads of money off of practically free energy", "think of how much oil we could sell to the other guy"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ASAPI posted:

You have a point. Either party that tries this would have to come after a purge of sorts. I never understood why people tend to vote the incumbent back into office all the time. You would think that there would be more turnover. Congressman/Senator/Mayor/Whatever didn't do what they said they would do? Vote someone else in.

As for how the Rep's could sell it, just focus on the the party lines of "energy independence", "strengthening our power infrastructure from attack", "lets make poo poo loads of money off of practically free energy", "think of how much oil we could sell to the other guy"
I can't maks my kids ketchup soup with a solar panel. Good thing the coal companies are looking out for my best interests.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

Homeowner solar power also scares the gently caress out of utilities and their lobbyists. There are already laws in place in certain cities that force solar homeowners to STILL pay a utility company some minimum cost, even when they're actually sending more electricity back to the utility than what they use from the utility.

To some extent, that makes some sense, since utilities would go into deathspirals if they actually lost too many paying customers. Still, the utility lobbyists will be all over Washington DC before any semblance of a bill that big gets close to passage, Democrats or Republican, so it's really just not a purely Republican thing.

I think you did a better job hitting the nail on the head with the issue. The more I look at it, the more sense it makes to go a solar and/or nuclear route for power. (preference on solar with battery technology).

So the solution is kill all lobbyists?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I hate how Twitter's new album thing makes embedded posts useless and also that everyone makes sure to include a bunch of images in tweets to trigger it.

https://twitter.com/repjimcooper/status/857709095238938624

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lets face facts, nuclear is dead and buried under an avalanche of left and right bad science and NIMBYism.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Professor Bling posted:

Oh you sweet naive little child, tell me more about how Republicans could easily sell moving to renewable energy :allears:

It's not like the Republican base has a massive hatred for renewable energy as a concept, to the point of attempting to cripple our national r+d pipeline and straight up passing blocking legislation to keep us from using renewables or anything

sell that solar panels were not energy efficient until a few years ago and for years democrats were lieing about how efficient they were and were just trying to make money or bilk the government of money

but now they are ok, its all the dems fault

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Lets face facts, nuclear is dead and buried under an avalanche of left and right bad science and NIMBYism.

Not entirely true, we're seeing a slight uptick in new licenses for construction, Canada just announced they want to include modular small nuclear reactors as energy supplements, China is building their 5 year plan around them, etc.

  • Locked thread