Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That would make sense for the Fool always being the Wild Card, the Fool even overwriting previous arcanas, it says Justice so i unno

Loki was always a lovely dude, gently caress Loki, the original antagonist of the series. I liked his earlier design a lot more

Not just a purple Namekian with a cloak

sorta related, I saw the Persona 1 design of Lucifer the other day, and while it's super dumb, it's a different take and I like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Moltrey posted:

Both Loki and Robin Hood are of the Justice arcana, so I imagine he got both at the same time and Robin Hood sprung from Akechi's duel nature of loved public hero and Trickster

Shame there seems to be no official art of Robin Hood aside from the art book cause it's a pretty cool Persona, All Might lookin rear end. It's original designs had a big "AH" on it's chest that I don't think made it, I assume it stands for A HERO

It's an RH. It stands for robin hood.

UberJew posted:

bonds go both ways, its joker

joker was probably the only person who engaged with akechi as a human being, ever

Yeah that's better. I was enjoying the idea that instead of a bond of friendship he had a bond of hate.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 28, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I actually really like the new Loki design. Anything that reminds of the freaky designs of P2 is good in my book.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Moltrey posted:

Loki was always a lovely dude, gently caress Loki, the original antagonist of the series.

Actually I was wondering. I definitely want to play SMT 1 and 2 sometime soon, but are the original Megami Tensei games worth checking out?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

Actually I was wondering. I definitely want to play SMT 1 and 2 sometime soon, but are the original Megami Tensei games worth checking out?

They're a hard sell. Very much old-school dungeon-crawl stuff. You could probably just play Strange Journey and save yourself the trouble.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Relin posted:

it's not canon but this is sure to get a rise out of people bent out of shape at naoto for embracing her sex in p4

"Unlike Naoto's former Personas, it lacks any combat proficiency due to Naoto's desire to support her friends. When Naoto asked Touko Aoi and Tetsuma Tsuge about the reason why her new Persona is so different from the others she had before, she was told that Personas are representations of the user's psyche, hence the Persona's rather female appearance after Naoto started to embrace her femininity."

Fuuuuuuck my life.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ROFL Octopus posted:

I have a hard enough time recommending people play SMT 1 and 2, as they're extremely rough and maybe unfair games that I feel have toooons of cool story, music and imagery, but I personally can't say the same for Megami Tensei 1 and 2. I didn't play them for too long, but they didn't hook me like SMT 1 and 2 did instantly so maybe someone who beat them has better things to say?

If you can track it down on like Youtube or Dailymotion or whatever, the original OVA for the source material for SMT, Digital Devil Story, is a cool 80's anime thing. Heavy warning for violence and sexual assault, but it's a neat time capsule of watching a kid summon Loki into the world by using his school's computer lab

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The best part of the original Megaten and SMT games are the OSTs, just listen to those and skip the games.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Pollyanna posted:

Fuuuuuuck my life.

Just ignore the non-game EU, it's for your own good.

Alsoo, anyone have a link to the 100% guide? I figure since I'm in NG+ it'll be easy without as many days burned to stats, but it'd be nice to have on hand.

vv: Thanks bud!

Bogart fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 28, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bogart posted:

Just ignore the non-game EU, it's for your own good.

Alsoo, anyone have a link to the 100% guide? I figure since I'm in NG+ it'll be easy without as many days burned to stats, but it'd be nice to have on hand.

Here you go boss

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/835628-persona-5/faqs/74549

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Pollyanna posted:

The best part of the original Megaten and SMT games are the OSTs, just listen to those and skip the games.
no

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

smt 3 and 2 are actually very good

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

2 is probably pretty hard to get into these days if you dont have a long affection for its genre but man, it is good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I had more fun with 1 than 2 I think, but 2 has a really cool story and a neat post- post apocalyptic setting, it was rad

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Since we're speaking of old SMT games.

In every Persona game since 3 Igor brings up the MC accepting the consequences of their actions. Is this just Igor repeatedly throwing shade at Tatsuya or am I misreading the situation?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

So the Prison of Regression is there to hold captive people that are too lazy to think for themselves. All the security devices are simple logic puzzles. Clever narrative integration or just normal gameplay?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Moltrey posted:

I had more fun with 1 than 2 I think, but 2 has a really cool story and a neat post- post apocalyptic setting, it was rad

one's pretty great if only for the actual moment of being annihilated in nuclear hellfire and then the game continues

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

ChrisBTY posted:

Since we're speaking of old SMT games.

In every Persona game since 3 Igor brings up the MC accepting the consequences of their actions. Is this just Igor repeatedly throwing shade at Tatsuya or am I misreading the situation?

Probably not, but now that you mention it, I want it to be true.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

UberJew posted:

one's pretty great if only for the actual moment of being annihilated in nuclear hellfire and then the game continues
Thor disguised as the US's ambassador to Japan activates ICBM's, nuking you and Tokyo so hard you die and end up in Vajradhatuaka aka The Diamond Realm and then a powerful spirit man revives you and it's been thirty years since the world was destroyed by demons and atomic fire and hey welcome to Disc 2 gamer.

also like fifteen minutes in, a demon kills your mom, wears her skin and eats her

SMT 2 takes place in the exact same Tokyo 100 years later where the followers of God have created a giant cyber pyramid around the city everyone of Tokyo to live in called Tokyo Millennium where you work as an amnesiac pit fighter

smt owns

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 28, 2017

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think in SMT you end up fusing your pet dog with a demon to get Cerberus which also owns

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
You don't even HAVE to do that, but you can and he's OP as hell

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm glad that Koromaru isn't the only Good Boy in SMT

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Pascal is the best

Pascal the dog is here

very strong boy

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Moltrey posted:

talking bout the top left of this pic where I'm like 90% sure that's the kanji for Justice

Considering the mythology blurb is just placeholder text, though, that's clearly not something you're meant to see. Couldn't the arcana also be a placeholder?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's definitely a placeholder, but I don't see any reason it shouldn't be Justice. Since, you know, its user is Justice. And apparently whoever was assigning Arcana that you'd never see just assumed Loki should be Justice by default.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Clarste posted:

It's definitely a placeholder, but I don't see any reason it shouldn't be Justice. Since, you know, its user is Justice. And apparently whoever was assigning Arcana that you'd never see just assumed Loki should be Justice by default.

Well yes but all Wild Card holders have been aligned with The Fool, and Loki, Norse Trickster God of Deceit and Betrayal, who for all his crimes gets sentenced to suffer for all eternity (till Ragnarok happened, at any rate) under a giant snake that drips venom onto him, seems more a Fool than Justice Persona.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I mean, Loki is the starting persona of a person who is the Justice Arcana so I'd put my money on Justice.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if it came out of Goro Akechi's brain then it's probably Justice. Kid loves ustice

FractalSandwich posted:

Considering the mythology blurb is just placeholder text, though, that's clearly not something you're meant to see. Couldn't the arcana also be a placeholder?
Yeah prob. I wouldn't be surprised if there was Loki Picaro DLC at some point like they've been doing with past Personas. It sounds silly but they're releasing the Christmas outfits DLC in like July so w/e

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I assumed that Goro has the power of the Wild Card since he was able to summon multiple persona. Loki is just his original fool persona like Arsene, Orpheus, Izanagi, etc.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I don't think Wild Card means you are necessarily aligned as The Fool at all. There's certainly been more people who could summon anything that weren't Fool than there have been that are.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
'Goro's a little doofus who can probably only barely summon a couple personas of a matching, compatible arcana and gets his poo poo pushed in by someone with real power' is my own interpretation I guess.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

My guess would be that from his perspective he's The Fool, and started with Loki. His only meaningful link is with Joker, who appeared as Justice to him, and gave him Robin Hood.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So I am trying to collect the treasure demons to fill my compendium and for some reason Down Shot isn't working on Regent. I t keeps missing and I don;t know why.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Sacrificial Toast posted:

My guess would be that from his perspective he's The Fool, and started with Loki. His only meaningful link is with Joker, who appeared as Justice to him, and gave him Robin Hood.

Akechi and Adachi have the same problem. They have the power of the Wild Card and have no idea how to utilize it because they're so socially dysfunctional. Apparently "Igor" really sucked at explaining the Velvet Room to Akechi?

Or Akechi's charismatic facade and attempts at hanging out with Sae are how he is trying to create social bonds and completely failing at it. :smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

'Goro's a little doofus who can probably only barely summon a couple personas of a matching, compatible arcana and gets his poo poo pushed in by someone with real power' is my own interpretation I guess.

Akechi's a shitwrecker even by the own team's confession, though. Guy's basically been effortlessly soloing dungeons that take the Thieves multiple days, full teams and cup after cup of delicious coffee to conquer.

Though I'm not sure where the "his fate is ambiguous" talk is coming from. Guy's clearly dead as hell after his encounter in the engine room.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mateo360 posted:

So I am trying to collect the treasure demons to fill my compendium and for some reason Down Shot isn't working on Regent. I t keeps missing and I don;t know why.

It's weak to Psy and Nuke, hopefully it doesn't die to one cast of frei/psi

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

dragon_pamcake posted:

Akechi and Adachi have the same problem. They have the power of the Wild Card and have no idea how to utilize it because they're so socially dysfunctional. Apparently "Igor" really sucked at explaining the Velvet Room to Akechi?

Or Akechi's charismatic facade and attempts at hanging out with Sae are how he is trying to create social bonds and completely failing at it. :smith:

It's less of "Igor" explaining it poorly and more of he gave it to somebody who clearly wasn't capable of forming strong bonds with others to see what would happen if that person would face off against his opposite, someone who has formed strong bonds with others.

Which is why Akechi only has 2 Persona and we've been through like, 40 by that point.

Akechi's warped psyche clearly has its benefits but it just ain't good enough against good ol' Friendship Power

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's weak to Psy and Nuke, hopefully it doesn't die to one cast of frei/psi

it did unfortunately the weakest persona I had with one of those was lv20

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Akechi's a shitwrecker even by the own team's confession, though. Guy's basically been effortlessly soloing dungeons that take the Thieves multiple days, full teams and cup after cup of delicious coffee to conquer.

Though I'm not sure where the "his fate is ambiguous" talk is coming from. Guy's clearly dead as hell after his encounter in the engine room.

Two Gunshots and an "I can't sense him anymore" are like the flimsiest confirmation of a death ever. And I don't buy it one bit!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

He's been at it longer though. Peaked too soon. Died a jerk.

• Locked thread