Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyone know why the Brewhaus is locked?

there's a new one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyone know why the Brewhaus is locked?

I put up the new thread right as the Cat Ban happened.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

I like this one alot

Creature (5)
4 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

Sorcery (2)
2 Confiscation Coup

Instant (27)
4 Censor
4 Commit // Memory
4 Disallow
4 Engulf the Shore
4 Essence Scatter
4 Glimmer of Genius
3 Pull from Tomorrow

Land (26)
4 Fetid Pools
4 Irrigated Farmland
18 Island

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Lands - 23

4 Aether Hub
4 Evolving Wilds
2 Canopy Vista
2 Island
2 Lumbering Falls
2 Mountain
1 Needle Spires
1 Plains
1 Wandering Fumarole
1 Botanical Sanctum
1 Cinder Glade
1 Forest
1 Inspiring Vantage

Spells - 37

4 Fevered Visions
4 Dynavolt Tower
4 Haze of Pollen
4 Commencement of Festivities
4 Repel the Abominable
4 Glimmer of Genius
4 Censor

3 Void Shatter or Negate (I can't decide right now)
2 Anticipate
2 Fateful Showdown
1 Rise from the Tides
1 Wildest Dreams

SB - 15

4x Negate (Debating on Mainboarding 3)
3x Radiant Flames
2x Dispel
2x Release the Gremlins
1x Sphinx of the Final World

3x ??? Still thinking

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

Hazorat the Pervent in Mardu is hot fire.

Hazoret has my vote for best AKH card that people are still sleeping on. Its been good everywhere I've tested it. It's an insanely gamebreaking topdeck

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Let's make some wagers out of curiosity.

What wins the SCG Open tomorrow? Mardu Vehicles, Tower or something new?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

80s James Hetfield posted:

A lot of people are going to show up with Mardu Vehicles and BG because they've had 2 days to prepare. Probably one of those two but cycling and Censor gave control a real boost so Torrential Gearhulk might be about to spike.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My vote is either G/B stomping Mardu now that Saheeli is gone, or Temur tower doing work with Censor and essence Scatter.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It says in the OP that Legacy has skyrocketed in popularity lately, but then it says nobody plays it anymore?

Assuming I can find my decks this is what I would actually be able to use them in so just wondering which it is.

legacy literally can't skyrocket in popularity

there are only so many duals in print

i could believe that it's skyrocketed in interest, as somebody who quite likes the idea of legacy but can't blow thousands of dollars on a lands deck

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I like this one alot

Creature (5)
4 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

Sorcery (2)
2 Confiscation Coup

Instant (27)
4 Censor
4 Commit // Memory
4 Disallow
4 Engulf the Shore
4 Essence Scatter
4 Glimmer of Genius
3 Pull from Tomorrow

Land (26)
4 Fetid Pools
4 Irrigated Farmland
18 Island

What the hell is Ulamog doing in that deck lol

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
So, this morning I learned that BW Zombies is one of the most oppressive limited decks in this format, because I wrecked face with it. Had two Lords of the Accursed, a ton of zombies, flash O-ring, etc.

Then I drafted again, opened Glorybringer P1P1, and went all in on aggro. Succeeded in putting together a very aggressive WR deck with him, Oketra, and her attendant as the top end. Could've been even better, but hey - I took what I could.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

UberJew posted:

i could believe that it's skyrocketed in interest, as somebody who quite likes the idea of legacy but can't blow thousands of dollars on a lands deck

I'm in the same camp, I think this thing looks like tons of fun, but I can't afford to blow $1600 on the seven cards I don't have for it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

UberJew posted:

I think you're forgetting China exists. People will get their legacy cards if they really want them, one way or another.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I assume you mean morally never good, because the guy makes wacky brews that people assume are far better than they actually are which creates an upward force on prices and they never go down due to cards' persistent price memory.

I'm still convinced that he buys 20 of every card in every deck he makes and makes a killing on them a few days after posting one of his terrible videos where somehow his 19 card combo that folds to any interaction comes together perfectly several times in a row.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

UberJew posted:

People are complaining about the high prices of modern, there's no way they're going to get into legacy with authentic cards. Though I don't understand the mentality of wanted to purchase a modern deck all at once and needing to do it now.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheAsterite posted:

People are complaining about the high prices of modern, there's no way they're going to get into legacy with authentic cards. Though I don't understand the mentality of wanted to purchase a modern deck all at once and needing to do it now.

only reason i have a modern deck at all (tron) is b/c i picked it up exploiting price differences from MM2

it'd cost a helluva lot more to just buy these days

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

suicidesteve posted:

I'm still convinced that he buys 20 of every card in every deck he makes and makes a killing on them a few days after posting one of his terrible videos where somehow his 19 card combo that folds to any interaction comes together perfectly several times in a row.

As long as he doesn't become too blatant, idgaf, his videos are awesome and keep me from spending money on this terrible hobby.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

UberJew posted:

only reason i have a modern deck at all (tron) is b/c i picked it up exploiting price differences from MM2

it'd cost a helluva lot more to just buy these days

Right, and I put off building a modern deck until fetches got reprinted. I get that they're still expensive, but all modern cards will eventually get reprinted, just gotta be patient and watch the market.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheAsterite posted:

Right, and I put off building a modern deck until fetches got reprinted. I get that they're still expensive, but all modern cards will eventually get reprinted, just gotta be patient and watch the market.

well the problem is if you tell people to wait years to play modern when they don't want to waste money on standard decks that'll rotate out and like constructed more than limited then you're basically just saying magic is terrible and you should go play a more modern card game instead

which is true but not a good look

E: example, I am cautiously optimistic about new l5r

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All constructed formats are and have always been bad

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

UberJew posted:

well the problem is if you tell people to wait years to play modern when they don't want to waste money on standard decks that'll rotate out and like constructed more than limited then you're basically just saying magic is terrible and you should go play a more modern card game instead

which is true but not a good look

E: example, I am cautiously optimistic about new l5r

Yep that's true. But I have a small feeling the ones most vocal about modern being expensive play budget standard anyway so there's no money to shift into modern cards to build up a deck.

Edit: I guess I just like the fact Magic is both for collecting and retaining some value, and playing a popular game with other people.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

sit on my Facebook posted:

Hazoret has my vote for best AKH card that people are still sleeping on. Its been good everywhere I've tested it. It's an insanely gamebreaking topdeck

Yeah, I've only played against it in limited, but seeing Hazoret come down on the other side of the table is a huge "oh, gently caress" moment. Once she's on she basically never turns off, she's indestructible so that gets around most removal (and the removal that exiles isn't really putting you up on the Hazoret player), and even if you have infinite chump blocks she just throws cards at your face until you die.

I feel like this is one of those instances like Walking Ballista where Cube players note a card before most constructed players do.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cactrot posted:

I'm in the same camp, I think this thing looks like tons of fun, but I can't afford to blow $1600 on the seven cards I don't have for it.

Good news, you can get the whole deck for under a hundred bucks as long as you don't take it out of sleeves or let people get too close with loupes.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DoctorOozy posted:

I'm at work so can't post it but I did play a dozen games on xmage with it last night. It was pretty bad... I just got stomped by Mardu, GB and RG Glory.. and most other things. It just felt anemic and weak and my few game wins were only ever due to bad luck across the table.

That's a bummer, I love me some mono black aggro.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Good news, you can get the whole deck for under a hundred bucks as long as you don't take it out of sleeves or let people get too close with loupes.

And if you sell them to some unsuspecting sucker, you can get the real cards for much less too!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheAsterite posted:

And if you sell them to some unsuspecting sucker, you can get the real cards for much less too!

Don't actually do this. Not only is it just a lovely thing to do, but if you get caught a lot of stores will send your name around to a bunch of other stores and you'll get blacklisted from your local area. Store owners don't tolerate that poo poo at all.

Counterfeits are for playing the game without having to take a second mortgage out on your house, not for screwing other players out of their money.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i think I'm gonna draft tonight, I missed the pre-release so tell me, in the all of a week this set has been draftable, anything standing out as good.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheAsterite posted:

I hope this is a bullshit post because otherwise GFY.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Shortest Path posted:

Don't actually do this. Not only is it just a lovely thing to do, but if you get caught a lot of stores will send your name around to a bunch of other stores and you'll get blacklisted from your local area. Store owners don't tolerate that poo poo at all.

Counterfeits are for playing the game without having to take a second mortgage out on your house, not for screwing other players out of their money.

also its you know, fraud

just b/c nobody would ever prosecute for it doesn't make it any less criminal

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

The usual instinct when a new set drops is a large number of aggro decks. I bet we'll still see plenty of Mardu Vehicles since it's a safe bet, but we'll probably also see RG/x decks popping up, since Rhonas, Hazoret, and Glorybringer among others seem to be the top dogs in speculation thus far.

I'd like to see at least some variant on WR humans that focuses on Exert + Always Watching. Also, some sort of UR or RB prowess deck using Soul-Scar Mage would be cool. I'm anticipating that will be the best way to deal with Rhonas for red since lightning axe + fiery temper is as effective as ever, and giving them wither gets around indestructible.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think I'm gonna draft tonight, I missed the pre-release so tell me, in the all of a week this set has been draftable, anything standing out as good.

This question is so ridiculously open ended, draft is self correcting, and it will all depend on your seat and the pack particulars of that one event, so, yes. A good draft deck will be good.

Generally I think all the archetypes can get there.

RB and RW beats & tricks. UW UG Tempo, UB cycling, BG Counters. Haven't seen much BW.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Open a Glorybringer, turn it sideways, and win.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I can heartily recommend drafting Glorybringer. Preferably in foil. :smaug:

Also Edifice of Authority is a house and you might want a couple of cards of artifact hate just in case?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This question is so ridiculously open ended, draft is self correcting, and it will all depend on your seat and the pack particulars of that one event, so, yes. A good draft deck will be good.

Generally I think all the archetypes can get there.

RB and RW beats & tricks. UW UG Tempo, UB cycling, BG Counters. Haven't seen much BW.

i guess what i mean isn't so much "what should i draft", i meant more "what should I look out for"

tho yeah you're right, that's just as open-ended haha, so yeah nevermind

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Star Man posted:

Can confirm

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Star Man posted:

Glorybringer being a non mythic rare is pretty obnoxious.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Walked posted:

Can confirm

I can see Glorybringer being compared to Drana from Rise of the Eldrazi. It's going to win so many games it's ridiculous.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Star Man posted:

I can see Glorybringer being compared to Drana from Rise of the Eldrazi. It's going to win so many games it's ridiculous.

It's SOOOO much better than that card.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

TheAsterite posted:

Holy moly don't do this. Don't sell them, don't trade them. Don't be that guy.

To be fair, even the best-looking counterfeits can have a weird gummy texture to them that differs greatly from the real deal. I know this because of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
btw if I ever get the cat lord p1p1, I am forcing GW Cats.