Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

sassassin posted:

Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT and Dragonball Super are all different shows with distinct tones.

It was a comment on a DLC character in a video game that has characters from all eras of Dragon Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Truly Dragonball Z has never had goofy villains before, such as an energetic evil sentai force or a pink bubblegum genie who likes candy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ekusukariba posted:

I miss the days when Abridged was a separate thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5fHDE4V3BA

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

sassassin got probed for a facetious remark about misogyny in db fandom that was taken to be in earnest

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Cease to Hope posted:

sassassin got probed for a facetious remark about misogyny in db fandom that was taken to be in earnest

Sadly, we don't live in the world where you can just say terrible stuff and assume people will know you were just funnin'.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT and Dragonball Super are all different shows with distinct tones.

Mostly, but the last season of Dragonball is actually the first season of Dragonball Z in tone. Z starts when Goku grows up.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Zore posted:

You say about a series where a major character won a fight because halfway through he realized he's drawn without a nose so his opponent's gimmick stops working.

This will always be the best moment in the dragon ball universe

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Zore posted:

You say about a series where a major character won a fight because halfway through he realized he's drawn without a nose so his opponent's gimmick stops working.

I meant more adding in extra jokes/references just because, like didn't english Super alter some lines to make fun of Yamcha?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ekusukariba posted:

I meant more adding in extra jokes/references just because, like didn't english Super alter some lines to make fun of Yamcha?

There are plenty of jokes in both languages. "Yamcha is a joke" isn't an exclusively English joke. I mean his first move he teaches you is Play Dead which gives you the Yamcha Pose. There's an entire mission arc where the joke is "Yamcha becomes the strongest, how can this be?!"

Like yeah, TFS makes fun of Yamcha but you only have to look at the sequence in Super where Yamcha is utterly convinced they're going to try recruiting him for the tournament and tries to play it cool while everyone ignores him to get that isn't a joke exclusive to TFS.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

super's baseball episode should prove that much at least

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that the only fight Yamcha ever wins is either when his opponent is near dead from hunger, Goku, while also being a child

Or due to comedy

Should tell you everything you need to know.

Like seriously imagine if Krillin NEVER won a fight that wasn't because of poo poo like "Forgot he had a nose"

Or if he didn't put up a really goddamn good fight against both Goku and Piccolo

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

super's baseball episode should prove that much at least

'Yamcha sucks' transcending cultural barriers is the best thing.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Burkion posted:

The fact that the only fight Yamcha ever wins is either when his opponent is near dead from hunger, Goku, while also being a child

Or due to comedy

Should tell you everything you need to know.

Like seriously imagine if Krillin NEVER won a fight that wasn't because of poo poo like "Forgot he had a nose"

Or if he didn't put up a really goddamn good fight against both Goku and Piccolo

I think Yamcha KO'd kid Chichi with a sneak attack at one point?

...Not really helping his case, I admit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Jesus Christ, Saiyan Saga was 1989?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

StrifeHira posted:

I think Yamcha KO'd kid Chichi with a sneak attack at one point?

...Not really helping his case, I admit.

It wasn't a sneak attack. She was trying to straight up murder him with her helmet. It's kinda funny how Toei really tried to make Krillin the butt of all the jokes in Z movies but the manga would just embarrass Yamcha harder.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yamcha was too irrelevant to be the butt of the jokes in the z movies

tho I think piccolo has been clowned on almost as much as krillin in the movies since he was required to take a bullet for gohan at least once per movie for a while

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My dad was the same age as me when the Saiyan Saga was originally airing, Christ

The only people that Goku still has to recruit are Tien and Roshi right? Oh and I guess Vegeta. I can see the recruitment arc lasting another 5 or 6 episodes

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Ekusukariba posted:

If you don't like Goku forgetting his tractor then idk man

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

My dad was the same age as me when the Saiyan Saga was originally airing, Christ

I still wonder if part of Super isn't going to be Goku realizing he's been at this dumb poo poo literally for as long as we've been watching it as he comes to terms with his punches ruining everyone's good time

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Black August posted:

I still wonder if part of Super isn't going to be Goku realizing he's been at this dumb poo poo literally for as long as we've been watching it as he comes to terms with his punches ruining everyone's good time

this is leading into the epilogue of dbz that starts with goku training goten and ends with goku goading uub into fighting for real before the two of them fly off into the sunset to train more

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, especially with the Uub mention last episode, it's pretty clear this is all leading up to Goku changing enough to start training a guy for reals instead of focusing on his own fightmans

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rand Brittain posted:

Sadly, we don't live in the world where you can just say terrible stuff and assume people will know you were just funnin'.

I didn't say anything terrible, only that people want to see women fighting in Dragonball ("can't wait for Pan" etc.), but Toriyama prefers to draw Spopovich vs.Videl, Toei adds filler where Gohan throws his mother off a roof, and Android 18 is motivated entirely by money and sexual desire for a white knight.

Hopefully Broly (female) has a little more 21st century characterisation. Wouldn't bet on it, though.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Carlosologist posted:

The only people that Goku still has to recruit are Tien and Roshi right? Oh and I guess Vegeta. I can see the recruitment arc lasting another 5 or 6 episodes

I think next episode is Piccolo, since technically they still haven't asked him to join on camera. My guess is one for Big Green, one for Roshi, and two for "Wait, who else is there?" leading to Tien joining. If Vegeta isn't already on board from Beerus telling him he has to fight, it'll be interesting to see if Goku has to tell him the universe is at stake or if Goku appeals to his Saiyan Pride.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

I think next episode is Piccolo, since technically they still haven't asked him to join on camera. My guess is one for Big Green, one for Roshi, and two for "Wait, who else is there?" leading to Tien joining. If Vegeta isn't already on board from Beerus telling him he has to fight, it'll be interesting to see if Goku has to tell him the universe is at stake or if Goku appeals to his Saiyan Pride.

"you can wish for bulma to change your daughter's name"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vegeta will wish for lots and lots of toys for Bra.

Then Bulma whacks him on the back of the head and reminds him that he's married to the richest woman on the planet.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

this is leading into the epilogue of dbz that starts with goku training goten and ends with goku goading uub into fighting for real before the two of them fly off into the sunset to train more

In my head the last scene of Super is Goku asking Vegeta to a friendly fight that the credits play over and leave unresolved. Because the fighting never ends in DBZ-land.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, especially with the Uub mention last episode, it's pretty clear this is all leading up to Goku changing enough to start training a guy for reals instead of focusing on his own fightmans

I do hope Super eventually goes past the epilogue tho.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you just want them to disprove gt as emphatically as possible don't you

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Years later, Goku and Uub are training on the Lookout.

Little do they know, Pilaf and his pals have snuck into the Lookout in search of the secret Black Star Dragon Balls...

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
What if Super just redoes all of GT's arcs, only better.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

you just want them to disprove gt as emphatically as possible don't you

I want Pan to be cool.

So, kinda?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Funky Valentine posted:

Years later, Goku and Uub are training on the Lookout.

Little do they know, Pilaf and his pals have snuck into the Lookout in search of the secret Black Star Dragon Balls...

And Piccolo tells them they don't exist anymore, or never have.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

What if Super just redoes all of GT's arcs, only better.

I don't want to see cool Park Ranger Android 17 killed.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ImpAtom posted:

I don't want to see cool Park Ranger Android 17 killed.

He said better. So it'd be Super 16 and be sad as gently caress for the right reasons.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I literally can't think of any possible ways to make that arc good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno how any gt arc would even work with what super has established at this point

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dunno how any gt arc would even work with what super has established at this point

Goku blows up all the universes, decides to just regen them with the Super Balls and that fucks up the Balls spawning a bunch of stupid face Shenrons for him to punch.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Easy just follow the set beats and do its own thing with it

The Revenge Of The Tuffles
The Last Throw Of The RR Army
Consequences Of Abusing Dragons

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aren't Tuffles a thing made up by the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I believe you'll find that the only major arc of GT was the Moustache Saga.

• Locked thread