Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

I have been kidnapped by a group of loving Shitizens at Fyrefestival. Send help!

http://observer.com/2017/04/fyre-festival-supermodel-influencer-promotion-rumors/

...and they stole all my poo poo!

These are the same bozos who pulled this stunt. I am searching corp records to see if Ortwin is involved.

http://www.businessinsider.com/magnises-complaints-from-members-2017-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

XK posted:

I think one of the necessary improvements for home VR use, of they want it to be anywhere near mainstream, will involve some kind of visual overlay of your environment so you can see that you aren't about to tackle your bookcase.

I don't know exactly how that will work, but it kind of seems like a necessity.

Microsoft Hololens is supposedly working on that capability.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

That I've gotten this many responses on blind flailing in VR causing problems, in this thread alone, in 30 minutes, suggests that I'm totally correct in thinking everyone will smash into things while using VR. I don't even understand how you don't stomp on the wires and rip them out.

You're basically blindfolding yourself and throwing your body around. You might as well be sleepwalking while dreaming you're in an MMO fight.

Why hasn't any video game website ever done an article on this? I'd be more worried about punching my stove while in VR than whether my gender was properly represented in an FPS.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

XK posted:

Nearly breaking your hands while in VR, Giant Bomb's Vinny smashes the poo poo out of his hands:
https://streamable.com/513w

This is one of the reasons why cockpit games work so much better in VR than most other types of games. Wandering around and flailing your limbs while blind is just a bad idea.

Best space fighter cockpit game with a little RTS mixed in:

House of the Dying Sun
http://store.steampowered.com/app/283160/House_of_the_Dying_Sun

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

XK posted:

You're basically blindfolding yourself and throwing your body around.

Don't kink shame

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

XK posted:

I think one of the necessary improvements for home VR use, of they want it to be anywhere near mainstream, will involve some kind of visual overlay of your environment so you can see that you aren't about to tackle your bookcase.

I don't know exactly how that will work, but it kind of seems like a necessity.

In the rift you do have a play area defined and it shows up in game as an overlay if you are near it to prevent accidents. I have this turned off because I am loving hardcore

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

In the rift you do have a play area defined and it shows up in game as an overlay if you are near it to prevent accidents. I have this turned off because I am loving hardcore

:same: but in Vive

Also do you regret your life choices in buying that knock-off Facebook clone instead of the Vive? :colbert:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

First day with Oculus Rift, I almost broke my hand swinging around to shoot some defective robots. Flippin' hurt. My daughter faceplanted trying to lean on a desk to see the back side of a bomb that needed defusing....

So yeah, count me in the group that think it is a ubiquitous problem, that no one talks about because it is purely a FirstWorldProblem.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

XK posted:

This Fyre Festival disaster going down right now seems like a fast forward version of Star Citizen.

http://ibankcoin.com/zeropointnow/2...-rule-involved/

https://twitter.com/FyreFraud/status/857779518987132929

https://twitter.com/trev4president/status/857776562615308288

https://twitter.com/ErinLea7/status/857845889448243200

#FyreFestival

It seems the US embassy is involved in rescue operations now, ie getting people flights back to the US. At least Star Citizen won't leave people stranded in foreign countries, unless a Citizencon goes really badly.

There's clearly exaggeration going on with some of the more concerning reports, but it's still fun to watch people blow tons of money only to get completely stiffed when reality rolls around.

You know, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if CIG DID manage to find a way to strand people in a foreign country with their trip.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I love days when my name sake over in Ireland, pops up in my GoogleAlerts. His news are always more interesting than those other Derek Smarts here in the US :D :D :D

Michael Murray 'has done the State some service, and by God does this State knows it’

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

What the heck is a Fyre Festival?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

XK posted:

You guys got to stop trying to get with The Titanic. You aren't going to get anything special; the Titanic goes down on everyone but women and children.

I'm just always down for quality post surprises in a shitposter's paradise. vOv

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

peter gabriel posted:

Most people have smallish living rooms, or wherever they'll be using the VR thing. My living room is totally fine in size, but I could take a step forward or backward, and swing my arm, and hit various walls or pieces of furniture.

VR games seem to work really well in a cockpit setting due to motion sickness issues. They also seem best suited for cockpit settings so that you don't uppercut your piano.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DarkRefreshment posted:

:same: but in Vive

Also do you regret your life choices in buying that knock-off Facebook clone instead of the Vive? :colbert:

No, I have been working with a small game dev place for a couple of years so I had access to Rift and Vive for ages, I chose the Rift because of how it felt on my head, just felt nicer. The Vive felt like a bigger version of my DK2 tbh and more like a prototype than the Rift. But really the way the Rift runs stuff is (to me) better, less issues and overall I am happy, I don;t feel I made the wrong choice.
Touch is really nice too.
Having said all that I think both are great and no one should have any buyers remorse / crazy loyalty to either, they both do their jobs well.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Meridian posted:

What the heck is a Fyre Festival?

A scam weekend music festival promoted by Ja Rule and "Instagram influencers" for young rich idiots who think they're too good to hang out with the Coachella young rich idiots.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Waiting for a CIG schedule setback when a developer hurts himself during a VR session.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

XK posted:

Most people have smallish living rooms, or wherever they'll be using the VR thing. My living room is totally fine in size, but I could take a step forward or backward, and swing my arm, and hit various walls or pieces of furniture.

VR games seem to work really well in a cockpit setting due to motion sickness issues. They also seem best suited for cockpit settings so that you don't uppercut your piano.

Anything cockpit related works well, they are the kind of games I only play in VR now, things like racing sims, Elite, War Thunder. I could never play those on a monitor now. Games that I have no interest in like Euro Truck Sim are amazing in VR, makes a huge difference. For example I think Elite is poo poo on a monitor, but in VR it blows my loving mind.

Walking around and hitting stuff is a bit trickier, I have a bit more room where I am and it works well but I haven't ever needed to take more than a couple of steps in any game, I can't think of any anyway.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

Waiting for a CIG schedule setback when a developer hurts himself during a VR session.

You know, for people who have had VR since the DK1 days we've seen it mature. We've seen the lessons get learned and the days of using VorpX or Tri Def to shoehorn a FPS into VR seems like such a distant memory now. Always fiddly, always a disappointment. This is what CIG are aiming at as their best case scenario and it's something that VR left behind years ago, for good reason.

Give people the option to play a FPS using Vorpx or on a monitor and they'd choose a monitor, unless they are in the VR honeymoon period, which lasts a couple of months where you think 'oh man WoW would be awesome in VR!' then after hours of loving around you find that actually, no it isn't, not with Vorpx anyway.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

TheAgent posted:

I'm the trust fund 20 year old wandering through the maze of shrink wrapped pallets

We used to call the hippie variant Trustafarians but either way this whole Fyregate thing was such a retarded super custyfest -even if they loving delivered- lmao

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
can we talk about Star Citizen please :colbert:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

his nibs posted:

I think we pretty much covered it at this point.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Meridian posted:

He's right, I bored myself up there

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

I have nothing to add :negative:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

Lots of people have already done things CIG can't do. Ideas are useless without execution.

GoodSpaceGames : Transformers :: StarCitizen : GoBots

Yeah, but you know, GoBots actually came out.

Sadly.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

XK posted:

You guys got to stop trying to get with The Titanic. You aren't going to get anything special; the Titanic goes down on everyone but women and children.

Uncalled for.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEK3ANXyA08

heh they're taking the piss out of Chris

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/683lrb/new_branding_for_star_citizen_crowdfunding/

XK
Jul 9, 2001

his nibs posted:

We're basically waiting until the 3.0 deadline of ~June 30, unless CIG does more bullshit, which they surely will.

We have a lot of ghost wandering internet time until then.

XK fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 28, 2017

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Man, Solaire really let himself go.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_HS04MZYmM

:laugh:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Latest Bensday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3qgBgXmE3U

Cliffs:

Does the Polaris have better sensors than the Hornet Tracker? Sensors aren't necessarily defined by size; they have different roles. The Tracker is intended as an SWACS platform. "Command and control for a strike package". I must admit some of the military terms here went over my head.
Drake isn't currently working on any new ships.The Drake Marauder might show up later but it's not currently in the plans.
Confirms that the teaser in the Defender brochure was for the 600.
Indicates that we'll be exposed to new alien species through the Banu and their assimilation of alien technologies. Also possibly that there is some alien tech in the Defender from a species we don't know yet (possibly referring to the tachyon cannons from unknown origin).
There will probably be a concept sale for the Pisces snub craft before the Carrack comes out, however it's not currently on the schedule.
There will be around 10 concept ships this year (including the Defender and Hurricane).
Redeemer rework is coming but Ben can't say when.
Ben would like to see ships landing in water (such as the 890J), but if they do end up doing that it won't end up coming for quite a while.
They are moving away from having ship variants at the time of the concept sale. As a ship gets more fleshed out in the production pipeline they might add a variant as they see fit

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

These are the same bozos who pulled this stunt. I am searching corp records to see if Ortwin is involved.

http://www.businessinsider.com/magnises-complaints-from-members-2017-1
:lol:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
https://twitter.com/Ruleyork/status/858025172942675968

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

No, I have been working with a small game dev place for a couple of years so I had access to Rift and Vive for ages, I chose the Rift because of how it felt on my head, just felt nicer. The Vive felt like a bigger version of my DK2 tbh and more like a prototype than the Rift. But really the way the Rift runs stuff is (to me) better, less issues and overall I am happy, I don;t feel I made the wrong choice.
Touch is really nice too.
Having said all that I think both are great and no one should have any buyers remorse / crazy loyalty to either, they both do their jobs well.

How dare you have a reasonable and logical approach to a topic on the internet and not allow us much spirited debate. GOOD DAY SIR.

And yeah I do agree that the Vive kind of hangs on your face much in the way a brick doesn't.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Gary Oldman speaking about Star Citizen/SQ42.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

smith gregg is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_DQ6EhwDt0

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Starcitizen: I truly apologise as this is NOT MY FAULT

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

He really is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Xncwmx6xY

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

XK posted:

Gary Oldman speaking about Star Citizen/SQ42.

For twooo thouussaand yeaaarrrssszzzz, IT AINT EVEN A QUESTION HOW MY DOUGH FLOWS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DarkRefreshment posted:

How dare you have a reasonable and logical approach to a topic on the internet and not allow us much spirited debate. GOOD DAY SIR.

And yeah I do agree that the Vive kind of hangs on your face much in the way a brick doesn't.

We could totally argue if you like though, I mean after all the vive is a piece of poo poo!