Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd personally recommend going with a PS3 (if they don't already have one) and vanilla Persona 4 if they want to get into SMT games, as it's still pretty drat good and you have all the PS2 Shin Megami Tensei games on the one platform via PS2 Classics.

Golden is far and away the superior version (save for the two replaced VA's, yeah I said it :colbert:), but it's not worth getting a Vita/PS TV for one excellent game. Unless you get P4: Dancing All Night as well, maybe.

I do have a PS3 but I had heard that P4G was worth getting it. Is your opinion the same if I can get a PSTV for ~$40? I haven't looked at the price of the game itself but it doesn't seem like that big of an expense, I surely won't buy a Vita for it but I'd rather play it on TV anyway most likely. Isn't P4 a PS2 game anyway? I only have a PS3 slim so I don't have backwards compat if that was how you meant.

Do you think Golden is worth it at that price? I thought there was a bunch of QoL stuff in Golden that was very nice as well but admittedly I don't know much about what the differences would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scorps posted:

I do have a PS3 but I had heard that P4G was worth getting it. Is your opinion the same if I can get a PSTV for ~$40? I haven't looked at the price of the game itself but it doesn't seem like that big of an expense, I surely won't buy a Vita for it but I'd rather play it on TV anyway most likely. Isn't P4 a PS2 game anyway? I only have a PS3 slim so I don't have backwards compat if that was how you meant.

Do you think Golden is worth it at that price? I thought there was a bunch of QoL stuff in Golden that was very nice as well but admittedly I don't know much about what the differences would be

Golden is probably worth it at that price since you can get it for like 15 dollars used off Amazon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If you can get a PSTV for $40 or less and a used copy of P4G I'd say it's definitely worth it over the original. That's doubly true if you're going to miss some of Persona 5's smoothness and QoL changes, because some of those were introduced with Golden (like being able to choose the skills a fused Persona inherits).

If you already have a PS3, you should also consider giving SMT Nocturne a try. You can get it on PSN as a PS2 Classic. It's the best of the mainline SMT games, in my opinion, and also a radically different game from Persona.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 28, 2017

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Cool thanks for the recommends guys, I'll keep my eye on ebay and see if I can snag a deal on those but I agree I don't want to go straight into it right after P5 so I'm OK with waiting a month or two. I haven't booted my PS3 in years, I'll fire it up this weekend maybe and take a look through the store at Nocturne also

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nocturne's soundtrack is also good as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_PfeIkfpaE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

If you can get a PSTV for $40 or less and a used copy of P4G I'd say it's definitely worth it over the original. That's doubly true if you're going to miss some of Persona 5's smoothness and QoL changes, because some of those were introduced with Golden (like being able to choose the skills a fused Persona inherits).

If you already have a PS3, you should also consider giving SMT Nocturne a try.

Okay, if they're that drat cheap in the US (:argh:), a PSTV and Persona 4 Golden are definitely well worth it.

Scorps posted:

There are several PS2 games available digitally in the PSN store, including all the Shin Megami Tensei games. (SMT: Nocturne/Lucifer's Call, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4).

Harrow posted:

I prefer the field battle theme, myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQhgTN7bNH8

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm sad because I'm getting near the end. I don't want the game to be over

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

e: nvm

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 28, 2017

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Motto posted:

Keep in mind that p4g needs a dreaded vita memory card and I dunno if you can find bundles that cheap anymore. I got one with a memory card and controller for 40 but that was when Sony was liquidating their online store.

No it doesn't. We went over this already. The PSTV has a gig of internal storage.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And P4G is more than that, right? :v:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ah, sorry.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bogart posted:

The game, but is the save file?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I heard people were making memes??

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harrow posted:

god this boss fight sucked so much

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Bogart posted:

Physical copies - this has been mentioned repeatedly

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Immunity Yoshitsune is bonkers BTW. It turns out the NG+ bonus bosses aren't immune to having their "50% of current HP" spells reflected back at themselves so, yup, I sure did more or less solo that fight at level 35.

With a setup like that, the first phase is actually the most challenging, since it's the only one where they aren't constantly throwing stuff at you that actively heals you.

I'm honestly somewhat amazed from hearing stuff like this that they weren't coded to respond to basically full immunities and gently caress you up another way.

Like, I went into the solo Mementos battle during Hermit link with an Arahabaki and immediately put up Makarakarn first turn... and the boss proceeded to spam Megidola until I finally swapped out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a gallery anywhere of the little black-and-white portraits that the characters have in the menu? The ones that show up when they gain a level?

I want Morgana's :3: face specifically

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

If I recall correctly, if you brought a Persona that nullified, repelled, or drained more than one thing, Elizabeth would just blast your rear end back into the stone age with Megidolaon.

The fact that they did this in P3 sort of demonstrates that they could've done something similar in P5.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LuiCypher posted:

If I recall correctly, if you brought a Persona that nullified, repelled, or drained more than one thing, Elizabeth would just blast your rear end back into the stone age with Megidolaon.

The fact that they did this in P3 sort of demonstrates that they could've done something similar in P5.

That's a holdover from the mother of all bonus bosses; the Demifiend in Digital Devil Saga. Bring a resist or null skill? Gaea Rage, 9999 damage to everyone.

Max health in DDS is 999hp, incidentally.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Demifiend was the best bonus boss because you go in and just get Nocturne's random battle music. You are nothing but random dungeon trash to him. :v:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

LuiCypher posted:

Liz had a whole bunch of unwritten, unspoken rules you had to follow or she'd just straight murder you. She was also literally unbeatable without four specific Personas, at least one of which was the Ultimate Persona from an Arcana you might not have maxed.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Instant Grat posted:

Liz had a whole bunch of unwritten, unspoken rules you had to follow or she'd just straight murder you. She was also literally unbeatable without four specific Personas, at least one of which was the Ultimate Persona from an Arcana you might not have maxed.

They probably don't need to make the bonus bosses as strict as Elizabeth, but if you can cheese the poo poo out of them with just Yoshitsune then they probably could've suffered to give them an easy counter that didn't go 'full party wipe, lol'.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Instant Grat posted:

Also a holdover from Demifiend, who required a specific strategy to even be able to actually have a chance.

(Specifically, it uses the above mentioned Gaea's Rage even in it's normal routine, and you need to be able to survive it)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

LuiCypher posted:

Orpheus Telos conveniently only resisting everything was kinda funny

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Countering Yoshi, or countering immunities, just moves the target to whatever the next most broken thing is. The NG+ bosses have never been particularly great but at least P5 only had a damage threshold for it's magical rule.

Instant Grat posted:

That's rough. In P3P you had items (I think... it's been some years) for Infinity/Armageddon but the process was the same. Wait a stupid number of turns while recording damage with a calculator and pray that the dice rolled in your favor. Hours of adding goddamn numbers together and praying for the RNG gods to favor you was the opposite of fun.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Supremezero posted:

Also a holdover from Demifiend, who required a specific strategy to even be able to actually have a chance.

(Specifically, it uses the above mentioned Gaea's Rage even in it's normal routine, and you need to be able to survive it)

Demifiend was actually pretty clever because the fight was a lot more open ended then some of the other superbosses in the series. He doesn't want you to cheese any attacks so he'll blow you up first turn if you walked in with any null/absorb/repel passives equipped, and there was a built in timer to prevent you from just stalling out incoming GRs by leaving the same demons alive for too long, but other then that you were free to try whatever you like.

You could set your own pace for the fight and the key was killing his helper demons exactly slow enough so they never stayed alive long enough to hit the trigger where they Recarmdra Demi back to full health, but didn't die so fast that you eat a billion GRs and eventually die to RNG. I had to fine-tune my damage output after a couple dozen tries so that my eventual victory only saw two GRs before I killed him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Demi-fiend having access to his stock and pulling poo poo out like Pixie and Arahabaki and Titania is so rad

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

If we're talking Nocturne battle themes, then it's all about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO6LWQhvzRw

But you can't really go wrong with anything on that soundtrack.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Mailer posted:

That's rough. In P3P you had items (I think... it's been some years) for Infinity/Armageddon but the process was the same. Wait a stupid number of turns while recording damage with a calculator and pray that the dice rolled in your favor. Hours of adding goddamn numbers together and praying for the RNG gods to favor you was the opposite of fun.

The calculator isn't strictly speaking needed - she heals herself up to full the first time she drops below 10,000, and then any subsequent time she drops below 9,000. Letting her counter herself below 10,000 just lets you skip that second phase.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The best Nocturne track is somehow the normal boss theme, yet the whole soundtrack is insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35l4sWjYzBc

If any non SMT people want to know what it's like to play Nocturne, just stare at this picture for like fifteen minutes and imagine constant buffs and numbers going everywhere while yelling WE WILL SACRIFICE THE SON OF OUR GOD to yourself the whole time

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Meiteron posted:

Demifiend was actually pretty clever because the fight was a lot more open ended then some of the other superbosses in the series. He doesn't want you to cheese any attacks so he'll blow you up first turn if you walked in with any null/absorb/repel passives equipped, and there was a built in timer to prevent you from just stalling out incoming GRs by leaving the same demons alive for too long, but other then that you were free to try whatever you like.

You could set your own pace for the fight and the key was killing his helper demons exactly slow enough so they never stayed alive long enough to hit the trigger where they Recarmdra Demi back to full health, but didn't die so fast that you eat a billion GRs and eventually die to RNG. I had to fine-tune my damage output after a couple dozen tries so that my eventual victory only saw two GRs before I killed him.

There was even a weird rear end way to completely negate Gaea's Rage involving a passive called Null Sleep. Despite what you would expect, no it does not just make you immune to sleep. Instead while the character is asleep they have 100% evasion to all enemy attacks. One of Demifiend's demons will throw out a party wide sleep spell before he uses GR so if you go in with Serph having low luck to ensure he gets hit by the sleep he'll survive GR no problem.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Pulling from the Overwatch meimeis thread:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Delsaber posted:

But you can't really go wrong with anything on that soundtrack.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

There was even a weird rear end way to completely negate Gaea's Rage involving a passive called Null Sleep. Despite what you would expect, no it does not just make you immune to sleep. Instead while the character is asleep they have 100% evasion to all enemy attacks. One of Demifiend's demons will throw out a party wide sleep spell before he uses GR so if you go in with Serph having low luck to ensure he gets hit by the sleep he'll survive GR no problem.

Let us bring these concepts together by linking the badass remix of the Nocturne normal battle theme that they added to SMT Imagine when said MMO added the demi-fiend as a bonus raid boss. Say what you will about Imagine, the one part of it that was consistently great was it's soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0fs8QAMBD0

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LuiCypher posted:

Pulling from the Overwatch meimeis thread:

The new DLC is revealing her to be a literal narc though

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I like the town battle theme in Nocturne the best out of the bunch. I heard the Imagine version of the Fiend theme and it's become an instant favorite.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What's the name of the track that plays in palaces after you send the calling card and are coming back to take the treasure?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mordiceius posted:

What's the name of the track that plays in palaces after you send the calling card and are coming back to take the treasure?

Life Will Change.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Supremezero posted:

Life Will Change.

Cool. It's my fav. track in the game so far.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's cool. As an oldster I also appreciated this mashup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Post Palace 4 spoilers I loving hate this beach scene so much, everything about it is so useless and dumb and the only saving grace is Yusuke spending $4000 on lobsters