Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Friends, lay your Jim Lee opinions on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

For some reason, I assumed it was Liefeld and went looking for any feet.

I thought Jim Lee was the greatest thing ever when he started on Punisher War Journal. :blush:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Who's the dude with the padded facemask and sword upfront?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Didn't mind him much during the era pictured but he was never a draw for me. Now and for a long time he's actively a turn off for me though. I avoid Jim Lee books unless I absolutely have to read them. I guess I understand the appeal on some level but it's not for me and I don't think it's good.

redbackground posted:

Who's the dude with the padded facemask and sword upfront?

You don't know who Shatterstar is? I find that surprising from you. He's a fairly well known character. Not so much from a wider public perspective but I'd expect most comic fans to recognize him.

X-O fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 28, 2017

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

You don't know who Shatterstar is? I find that surprising from you. He's a fairly well known character. Not so much from a wider public perspective but I'd expect most comic fans to recognize him.
That's who I was guessing it probably was, but I honestly don't think I've read a single comic with him in it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, happy Superhero Day, everybody!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 28, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

It's sort of distracting how everyone at the bottom is standing and posing while all the flying guys seem to be in motion.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

zoux posted:

He's bad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

80s and 90s Jim Lee was really cool and good, but I think he got too...stiff? in his art? I'm having trouble coming up with the right way to describe it. I wouldn't say him drawing a book is a turn-off except for the fact that I know he won't last more than a couple issues.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

That's who I was guessing it probably was, but I honestly don't think I've read a single comic with him in it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You're honestly not missing much as far as I know. He's just one of these characters I figured most people would know since he was at his most popular during the most popular era of comics that I assume most of us were around for.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I liked Jim Lee as a kid. He was the best guy at the style that sold books at the time but he's really not much better than Liefeld. He's got more confidence with human anatomy but he's got no soul whatsoever and his character designs are hilariously dumb.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

The 90's X-Men costumes that Jim Lee designed will forever be branded in my brain as "THIS IS HOW THE X-MEN ARE SUPPOSED TO LOOK" regardless of how silly they are. It's easily entirely childhood nostalgia getting the better of me, but I just can't get enough of that style.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's the platonic ideal of the 90's style and yeah, I get him, he's definitely majorly influential but not a fan of the style.

It's so weird how early Image compares to modern Image. Pretty much all of the founders have become punchlines.

purple death ray posted:

I liked Jim Lee as a kid. He was the best guy at the style that sold books at the time but he's really not much better than Liefeld. He's got more confidence with human anatomy but he's got no soul whatsoever and his character designs are hilariously dumb.

Yeah Jim Lee owns when you're 13.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

purple death ray posted:

This is the thing that bothers me now. Because his '90s X-Men designs are so iconic he's still the go to guy for designs at DC even on books he's not on. Most of his N52 designs were god awful. And some of Rebirth designs were better at least but I wish they'd let someone else take over character design.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

This is the thing that bothers me now. Because his '90s X-Men designs are so iconic he's still the go to guy for designs at DC even on books he's not on. Most of his N52 designs were god awful. And some of Rebirth designs were better at least but I wish they'd let someone else take over character design.

I thought most of the Rebirth looks weren't him, they just had him do a lot of the artwork for the promo stuff using other people's designs. Like I know Capullo did the new Batman and I'm pretty sure Gleason did the Rebirth Superman costume.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

The 90's X-Men costumes that Jim Lee designed will forever be branded in my brain as "THIS IS HOW THE X-MEN ARE SUPPOSED TO LOOK" regardless of how silly they are. It's easily entirely childhood nostalgia getting the better of me, but I just can't get enough of that style.

That those designs are the ones used is why X-Men '92 is one of the many reasons that book is too good for this world.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like most of the X-Men '92 designs except for Jean's costume, which I thought looked really bad even when I was a kid watching the cartoon.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jean doesn't have any good designs because her most iconic identity is the Phoenix, which not only have a lot of people chomped that flavor, but also suggests that she's about to go nuts and eat a star. "Marvel Girl" was always a garbage name but they've never been able to find anything else for Jean to be or do. So she's always just Jean, a regular person with a regular name, and it turns out that's a really hard thing to design a sweet superhero outfit for. Everyone else has an obvious theme that tells you more or less what they do. The short hairy brawler with the claws. The huge man made of impervious metal. The woman with the regal bearing and lightning bolt earrings. The dude covered in ice. Jean is just Jean and there's not really ever been a good, non Phoenix costume that expresses anything about her despite how important she is to the franchise.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

zoux posted:

My friend bought me a hoodie that has this on the chest on the front, and the back is a similar piece will all the villains. I love it.

EDIT: I think it is this one:

But with it center on Magneto. I have no idea who the green hooded guy is next to him.

IUG fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 28, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mesmero.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

purple death ray posted:

I dunno how broadly you want to define that style but I think Silvestri was one of the GOAT Uncanny X-Men artists and his issues hold up a hell of a lot better than Lee's.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IUG posted:

My friend bought me a hoodie that has this on the chest on the front, and the back is a similar piece will all the villains. I love it.

EDIT: I think it is this one:

But with it center on Magneto. I have no idea who the green hooded guy is next to him.

Not gonna lie, that sounds like a dope hoodie.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Is that Loki? Why would Loki be in an XMen promo?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
X-Men and New Mutants both had a few adventures in Asgard during the 1980s (drawn in each case by Art Adams) and Loki was the main villain in each of them; they were pretty popular, so he was included in X-Men villain line-ups for a while.

Loki's a lot like Dr Doom in that he's one of the villains who's adaptable to fight just about any hero, though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheat Loaf posted:

X-Men and New Mutants both had a few adventures in Asgard during the 1980s (drawn in each case by Art Adams) and Loki was the main villain in each of them; they were pretty popular, so he was included in X-Men villain line-ups for a while.

Loki's a lot like Dr Doom in that he's one of the villains who's adaptable to fight just about any hero, though.

The X-Men/Alpha Flight mini was excellent.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I still think Jim Lee draws one of the best Batman designs. His Wolverine is pretty great too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is he currently on any books?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like Lee but I'm not a huge fan. Something about his shading and detail is a little too busy. I don't know who that elfish blonde is between Gambit and Shatterstar but she has a way cleaner look than almost anybody in that image. Compare her to Jean or Psylocke, or to Cyclops' chest and arms. Is there supposed to be a difference in the fabrics of their costumes? Storm I get because a shiny, chrome-like look needs lots of line work to create the effect (if indeed she is supposed to have a shiny costume and not just plain white) but I don't know about the rest of them.

Also, good thing Captain Britain twisted his legs out of the way or else Strong Guy was going to get a knee to the back of his head.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 28, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

I like Lee but I'm not a huge fan. Something about his shading and detail is a little too busy. I don't know who that elfish blonde is between Gambit and Shatterstar but she has a way cleaner look than almost anybody in that image. Compare her to Jean or Psylocke, or to Cyclops' chest and arms. Is there supposed to be a difference in the fabrics of their costumes? Storm I get because a shiny, chrome-like look needs lots of line work to create the effect (if indeed she is supposed to have a shiny costume and not just plain white) but I don't know about the rest of them.

That's Captain Britain's girlfriend (wife?), Meggan. I think she is literally some kind of elf. Also a shapeshifter.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Meggan becomes what others believe she is, and she's in love with Captain Britain because he believes she's a beautiful fairytale princess. It kind of makes sense that she would have a brighter style than anyone else in the picture.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Lobok posted:

Also, good thing Captain Britain twisted his legs out of the way or else Strong Guy was going to get a knee to the back of his head.

Knee-to-the-head is the *good* result for Guido, considering he's sticking his finger (or ??? :ohdear:) into the muzzle of Cable's Herniator Cannon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Meggan becomes what others believe she is, and she's in love with Captain Britain because he believes she's a beautiful fairytale princess. It kind of makes sense that she would have a brighter style than anyone else in the picture.

One of the many good things from Paul Cornell's Captain Britain run was him deciding that her power isn't just about receiving. If she's confident and has faith in herself, she can project that outward and inspire others to see her the way she sees herself.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Jim Lee used to be pretty awesome; as has been said, those '90s X-Men designs were solid as hell. Plus the dude draws great hair, which isn't always easy to do. I think his success has really accentuated the worst aspects of his art, though; his current art has too many busywork detail lines for my taste. Still, while I don't seek out his art anymore, I don't actively avoid it, either; even at his worst he's still better than some of the artists out there, so I'll take it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

zoux posted:

Not gonna lie, that sounds like a dope hoodie.

Tag says it's by Mad Engine, but otherwise it's a Marvel tag.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

zoux posted:

As others have said, the 90s X-men style really is my go-to conception of the group and Lee's designs have a lot to do with that. His X designs in particular embraced ridiculous comic-aesthetics but usually grounded them with something. Gambit, for example, has the trenchcoat contrasted with the hot pink chestplate and shin guards. It's a completely useless design for someone whose backstory is basically King of Thieves, but it's unique enough for a 14 year old to forget about that. I guess he was just there at the right time, before a more critical approach followed character design.

His Cyc and Archangel designs are rad as all gently caress, though. At the very least, he made the characters visually engaging. As dumb as Cable looks, you at least wonder what his deal is.

I usually like his Batman/Superman designs as well, but his NU52 stuff was just terribly overbusy, and the segmented armor thing as a unifying look really, really didn't fly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wiegieman posted:

I also think that design is from Alan Davis, who I am honestly surprised hasn't been hired for more stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

I also think that design is from Alan Davis, who I am honestly surprised hasn't been hired for more stuff.

Alan's gotten a pretty sweet deal in recent years. Because Alan Moore is such a cock about reprints of his old works, he decided his artistic partners should get his half of the royalties. Davis definitely got Moore's share for the Captain Britain omnibus and the Miracleman reprints they worked on together.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gaz-L posted:

One of the many good things from Paul Cornell's Captain Britain run was him deciding that her power isn't just about receiving. If she's confident and has faith in herself, she can project that outward and inspire others to see her the way she sees herself.

The best thing from Cornell's work on Captain Britain was him reminding everyone that Blade is actually British.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Rhyno posted:

Alan's gotten a pretty sweet deal in recent years. Because Alan Moore is such a cock about reprints of his old works, he decided his artistic partners should get his half of the royalties. Davis definitely got Moore's share for the Captain Britain omnibus and the Miracleman reprints they worked on together.

That is pretty awesome of Alan Moore actually.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Moore has always been up front about how much he values the artists he's worked with and how much they've contributed to the overall success of those works. I'm pretty sure he's said that he considers The Killing Joke in particular to be a bad story redeemed by Brian Bolland's illustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Android Blues posted:

Moore has always been up front about how much he values the artists he's worked with and how much they've contributed to the overall success of those works. I'm pretty sure he's said that he considers The Killing Joke in particular to be a bad story redeemed by Brian Bolland's illustration.

Which is probably the nicest thing he have ever said about the Killing Joke.