Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

CzarChasm posted:

How high up are the gutters we are talking about? Because something like this might help you
https://www.amazon.com/Guttermaster-Classic-Telescopic-Waterflow-12-Feet/dp/B00JVNHS98

Telescoping, hook shaped hose attachment to blow the poo poo out of your gutters. Doesn't need a pressure washer.

The gutters that are clogged are a good 20'+ high. Second story on a house on a slope....I can stand up straight in the crawl space, if that tells you anything about the ground versus the gutters on that side of the house.

I have no problem getting on a ladder for over the garage or anything on the 1st story...but this is pretty high up.

That said, there is a balcony....so something like that I might be able to reach from the balcony maybe. I'd have to crook it around, but it might be possible.

Is there any merit to the plumber snake idea? This would basically attack the clog from the bottom. I can swing by the hardware store tomorrow. I'm sure they have something similar to what you posted. I can get a hose up to the balcony, just need something crooked that can reach around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd be surprised if you can do anything effective to your gutters by putting a snake up your downspout. If the hose attachment listed can't reach just call someone. Don't die falling off a ladder.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 25, 2017

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd be surprised if you can do anything effective to your gutters by putting a snake up your downspout. If the hose attachment listed can't reach just call someone. Don't die falling off a ladder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCNiNmP2l2I

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

I had my 24' ladder full extended with stabilizers and it barely reached my soffits, poo was coming out after the half way point up the ladder. Wish I had a bigger one so there would be less flexing from being fully extended, or maybe I should lose weight, idk.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I have a couple windows that are really badly in need of replacement. I can do all that, but I'm curious about the outside trim, downstairs they are wood wrapped in aluminum, is that the best way to go or should I just use that fake vinyl wood instead?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
My (now functioning) washer causes lights in our house to surge as it agitates. Our house is a on a subpanel from a larger residence - will their lights be surging as well?

Thanks!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Who here knows about irrigation/sprinkler systems?

System is reclaimed water from the city.

I have 5 zones controlled by a Rain Bird ESP-6TM controller.

Water days are setup for Wednesday and Saturday morning. Has been working fine since we bought the house 8 months ago.

I came home monday afternoon for lunch to see that there was water coming out of my sprinkler heads. Not enough to actually pop up the heads, but enough that you could notice there was water. What was weird is that it was happening on all my zones, all sprinkler heads had water come up out of them.

I checked the controller and it was still set in the auto position, tried turning it to the off position and nothing happened. In fact, nothing I did on the controller did anything to the sprinklers. I had to shut the water off at the main valve near the road to get the water to stop.

I called the city and asked if there was something up. They said due to the drought we've been having around here they had to turn the reclaimed water off completely and while it was off they did some other maintenance on the system. Lady said normal water pressure should return by wednesday morning.

I notice tuesday night that some neighbors have their sprinklers on and they are working so water pressure is back. I turned the main water source back on and the same thing happens, all zones are on, this time with a little more pressure, barely enough to pop up some but not all of the sprinkler heads but the controller still does nothing.

I checked everything in the controller, battery/fuse/etc and the controller is fine. I asked my neighbor and he said he's had the valves in the backflow system blow out before when the city has turned off/on the water due to the sudden pressure increase on them. I noticed that this box is full of water now, so maybe an electrical short?

I plan on checking those tonight and also make sure the 24v current is making it from the control box into the backflow system itself and check to make sure the valves aren't damaged. Is there anything else I should check specifically? It seems that something has caused all the valves to be open and the control box is not closing them.

Basically after work I'm going to check to make sure everything in here

is ok.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yeah dying falling off a ladder is the last thing I want to do....not planning on it.

I picked up this at Lowe's yesterday:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-Telescoping-Cleaning-Wand/4363277

Looks like a cheap POS, and it probably is, but I figure all I need is some extra reach, which this affords, and a way to angle water the right direction. Worst case, if this can't blast the clog, then I can strap a wire coat hanger to the end of it and just use it as a long stick to jam in to the downspout elbow and loosen the clog...then the rest of the year I can use it to actually wash debris out of the gutters BEFORE they clog up.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah dying falling off a ladder is the last thing I want to do....not planning on it.

I picked up this at Lowe's yesterday:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-Telescoping-Cleaning-Wand/4363277

Looks like a cheap POS, and it probably is, but I figure all I need is some extra reach, which this affords, and a way to angle water the right direction. Worst case, if this can't blast the clog, then I can strap a wire coat hanger to the end of it and just use it as a long stick to jam in to the downspout elbow and loosen the clog...then the rest of the year I can use it to actually wash debris out of the gutters BEFORE they clog up.

Might consider getting a few estimates to clean the gutters/downspouts and install gutter screens. Work can really slow down around now for roofers/gutter installers and you might find someone who'll give you a good price.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I borrowed a neighbor's pressure washer and this part, called a Garden Hose Plug, broke.

Is there another place online I can order this product? This site charges a $7 "brokerage fee" and $15 shipping to Canada because they use UPS.

Edit: Is this the same thing?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 26, 2017

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Professor Shark posted:

I borrowed a neighbor's pressure washer and this part, called a Garden Hose Plug, broke.

Is there another place online I can order this product? This site charges a $7 "brokerage fee" and $15 shipping to Canada because they use UPS.

Pretty sure you can just pick those up from Lowe's/Home Depot if you have them there. There's this thing that includes that part for 5 bucks.

e: or a metal one for even less.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 26, 2017

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Professor Shark posted:

You can pick up quick-disconnects for a garden hose at almost any hardware store. The trick is to make sure it's exactly the same design as that one. They do vary. I have sets of at least 3-different configurations, and they are not interchangeable.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So I have a couple windows that are really badly in need of replacement. I can do all that, but I'm curious about the outside trim, downstairs they are wood wrapped in aluminum, is that the best way to go or should I just use that fake vinyl wood instead?

Siding installers use bent coil (that aluminum you've got) because it's fast, cheap and easy to color match.

Vinyl board is a good replacement. It's a little expensive, but a hand saw is easier than renting (and getting good at using) a coil bender.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eddiewalker posted:

Siding installers use bent coil (that aluminum you've got) because it's fast, cheap and easy to color match.

Vinyl board is a good replacement. It's a little expensive, but a hand saw is easier than renting (and getting good at using) a coil bender.

I'm more than happy to use vinyl boards since it's only two windows and I have a bunch of Home Depot / Lowes GC from friends that gave me housewarming gifts. I'm just going to get that. I Just need to find it online. I figured I'd just get like a 2x4 in Vinyl and cut it down, but it's all trim. I'm a little concerned about not having house wrap on the old house, though, but I think that I'm not going to tear off all my siding (cedar shake) until next year when I plan on residing the entire house.

Here's my plan in general:
  • Rip out the old inside window trim

• Measure the rough opening and see what I have to work with
    Right now, the exterior trim is about 2" from the window to the siding, so I have enough siding clearance to install new construction windows with the exterior flange

• Go buy some windows

• Rip out the old windows

• Review the window frame, maybe build it up with some ripped 2x4 if the rough window doesn't match what I can get at Lowes

• If the frame is super rotten, I can rip it out, and replace it with fresh 2X4 but I guess I'd have to cut away the drywall to get it at it, not the worst option but just more work

• tuck a bunch of insulation all over where ever I can get it in

• install aluminum sill pan flashing on the bottom of the opening, tuck it behind the siding and caulk all around it

• Install the new window, shim it up, tack it all and all that, cover the flange in flashing tape

• Caulk the nail holes

• Cut some vinyl trim to fit between the window edge and the siding, caulking all over the siding edge beside it like a madman

• Fix the inside dry wall if I had to tear it out, otherwise trim the inside with pine trim, maybe reuse what's already there since it's not too bad looking

Seems doable, I've never replaced a window before, but I've seen it done a ton of times when I worked in construction and I'm a good carpenter so I don't see an issue.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Seems doable, I've never replaced a window before, but I've seen it done a ton of times when I worked in construction and I'm a good carpenter so I don't see an issue.

I've installed a grand total of 4 windows so far, and it's not really complicated. There's a set process to install your flashing to ensure that water doesn't penetrate, and you want to take your time with getting things level and sloped properly, but it's nothing you can't figure out from watching a few YouTube videos.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've installed a grand total of 4 windows so far, and it's not really complicated. There's a set process to install your flashing to ensure that water doesn't penetrate, and you want to take your time with getting things level and sloped properly, but it's nothing you can't figure out from watching a few YouTube videos.

Can you suggest a reference on how to properly seal up?

I like this one, but I don't know whats under the trim on my super old house:

https://www.familyhandyman.com/windows/prevent-window-leaks-with-proper-window-installation/view-all

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Can you suggest a reference on how to properly seal up?

I like this one, but I don't know whats under the trim on my super old house:

https://www.familyhandyman.com/windows/prevent-window-leaks-with-proper-window-installation/view-all

Uh, sorry, I don't remember what resources I used at the time. I just googled a bunch and compared different approaches. But it's basically something like this (using rubberized adhesive roll flashing):

0) Nail down a small piece of trim set back a bit from the sill.
1) Cut a length of flashing to cover the sill of the opening plus 6-12 inches at either end. Press it down along the sill (plus your trim) and sides of the jack studs. The trim makes a slope that runs away from the interior of the house.
2) Make an angled upwards cut at the corners of the flashing.
3) Press down the flashing along the outer wall, so that the sill flashing goes underneath the side flashing.
4) Cut lengths of flashing for each side wall, install.
5) Install window, use screws (with threads covered in caulk) to hold it to the wall per manufacturer's instructions.

I didn't have any flashing along the header of the window, because I was able to just slip the window underneath the housewrap. I'm not sure how it works for installing a window when there's no housewrap. Probably you'd put the window in, then put flashing in that adheres to the wall and covers the top of the window flanges (edit: and then install the siding to cover over the top of the flashing). The overall goal is that as long as water is flowing downhill, it doesn't have a path into the structure.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 27, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

:perfect:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yes x 1000, vinyl forever and always for trim. I would never put wood trim on a window, especially in 2017. I replaced all my downstairs windows a few years back and went with vinyl, and it's zero maintenance, it's fantastic.

E: just a side note, but I would go ahead and get new construction windows and tear it all down to the rough opening. It's easier to install those. And pay careful attention to your flashing so you drain water without feeding it into the sill or behind the siding.

E2: When pulling out nails with a claw hammer, bend to the side, not straight back like it looks like you should do.

LiterallyAnything posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction and/or recommend a good hotair soldering station for small-ish home projects? I'm seeing some on Amazon for $80 but that just seems way too good to be true.

Probably too late to be helpful, but I would get a good hakko or aoyue soldering station and a separate hot air rework station if you feel like you need it, which isn't as likely. On the hot air station, don't worry about it being digital temperature, just get a cheaper analogue one because it's 100% feel, too many temperature variables so it's not like a soldering station.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 27, 2017

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

2) Make an angled upwards cut at the corners of the flashing.

Good instructions, thanks! Can you clarify this one? Do you mean the sides that run up the side wall cut them angled downward towards the outside so water would flow downhill out of the house?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Good instructions, thanks! Can you clarify this one? Do you mean the sides that run up the side wall cut them angled downward towards the outside so water would flow downhill out of the house?

I really recommend digging up some videos or photo walkthroughs for this, because it's hard to describe in words. But the basic problem is, you want continuous flashing covering three different surfaces: the top of the sill, the side of the jack studs, and the outside of the wall. You can't fold an uncut sheet of flashing to cover three surfaces like that without creating wrinkles and/or stretching the flashing, both of which are bad. So instead you need to cut it. But the cut introduces a potential area for water to intrude, so you need to make the cut in such a way that when you adhere the flashing to the structure, there's an overlap in the flashing, rather than a gap. Making an upward-angled cut is how you do that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

You can pick up quick-disconnects for a garden hose at almost any hardware store. The trick is to make sure it's exactly the same design as that one. They do vary. I have sets of at least 3-different configurations, and they are not interchangeable.

I guess I lucked out- I found one today for $2.50 and it seems to fit!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Pouring concrete question: say I have this setup:

I want to do three things: first, patch the gap in the concrete at the bottom of the image (which I cut when I dug the electrical/water trench). Second, replace those pavers with a concrete walkway. Third, add a short concrete path from the doorway around the corner to where the hose bib is.

First question: these all seem like things that are small enough to be doable by buying concrete mix and mixing it on-site. I don't have a wheelbarrow; recommendations for an appropriate container to do the mixing in? I could get a wheelbarrow, I guess, but I wouldn't have much use for it otherwise.

Second question: for the third pour, you can see my electrical conduit coming up out of the ground. Ideally I'd like the walkway to go right up to the edge of the workshop's slab. Is it OK to embed conduit, copper pipe, and the electrical grounding rod in concrete? Obviously I'd have to be very careful with my excavation prior to pouring, and smoothing the concrete around those protrusions would be rather difficult. I'd plan on doing this pour last for that reason, to get more experience.

Third question: the existing sidewalk doesn't have a gravel base, and seems to have been fine; there's no cracking and I didn't notice any issues with drainage when I cut through that section. My soil's pretty hard-packed stuff. Adding a gravel underlayment isn't expensive of course, but it does mean more excavation; how necessary would you consider it to be?

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Pouring concrete question: say I have this setup:

First question: these all seem like things that are small enough to be doable by buying concrete mix and mixing it on-site. I don't have a wheelbarrow; recommendations for an appropriate container to do the mixing in? I could get a wheelbarrow, I guess, but I wouldn't have much use for it otherwise.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Go to Ace, or whatever your nearby rental shack is. Give them a $20 bill. They will give you a wonderful mixing machine, which you can use for four hours. The style that holds two bags and is basically a combo mixer/ wheelbarrow is great.

Also digging and prep and foundations are everything in a project like this... That said I lazily put a "temporary" patch in my driveway that had no rights surviving even one winter, and it's still fine 5 years later.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I'm trying to figure out the most elegant solution for attaching a pergola to the side of the house. Without getting into all the details, the pergola is essentially a square over the driveway. The beams will run parallel with the driveway and the rafters will span across the driveway. On one end, the beams will be supported by posts on either side of the driveway. On the house side, I'm planning on having one of the beams supported by something like Sky Lift that bolts to the top plate of the exterior wall and pokes up through the roof to hold the beam. The other beam would run along the side of the house, so I can't support it on/though the roof.

What I'm wondering is whether or not this second beam could be supported by some sort of steel bracket that sits on the top plate and pokes out through the siding on the side of the house to make a "shelf" for the beam. Essentially, I want to use big countertop support brackets to hold up one corner of a pergola.

This is a top down drawing of the house and driveway. The green squares are the posts. The blue bars are the beams. The magenta square is the sky lift coming through the roof. The red bars are the support brackets I'm asking about. The picture shows the roof peaks, so that left side of the house is flat and these brackets could be bolted to the top plate/studs inside and then poke out through the siding.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Go to Ace, or whatever your nearby rental shack is. Give them a $20 bill. They will give you a wonderful mixing machine, which you can use for four hours. The style that holds two bags and is basically a combo mixer/ wheelbarrow is great.

Also digging and prep and foundations are everything in a project like this... That said I lazily put a "temporary" patch in my driveway that had no rights surviving even one winter, and it's still fine 5 years later.

Yeah, I know the foundations are the important thing. I just found it interesting that my back yard has a sidewalk that appears to be in perfect condition that doesn't have the kind of foundation I'd normally expect to find.

Thanks for the advice on the mixer. That feels kind of like overkill for a project of this size? I guess I don't have a feel for how many bags of concrete are involved here. There's also the issue of how I'd transport it, as my only vehicle is a Civic.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

The previous homeowner had a chicken coop and after removing it they reseeded with grass that is different from what was on the rest of the lawn. It grows a bit faster and has what looks to me like more field grassiness to it than the rest? More solid blades that are kind of stemmy I guess? I'm not sure how to describe it properly so I guess a picture would have been helpful. I want to do something about this to make it match up with the rest of my lawn. How do I do this? Do I need to kill it all off and reseed with the correct grass?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

The previous homeowner had a chicken coop and after removing it they reseeded with grass that is different from what was on the rest of the lawn. It grows a bit faster and has what looks to me like more field grassiness to it than the rest? More solid blades that are kind of stemmy I guess? I'm not sure how to describe it properly so I guess a picture would have been helpful. I want to do something about this to make it match up with the rest of my lawn. How do I do this? Do I need to kill it all off and reseed with the correct grass?

Buy a sod plugger, swap the plugs and wait a year or two. This assumes that you have even sunlight in the area. Not all grass does equally well when shaded.

This assumes you have spreading grass BTW.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 28, 2017

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

kid sinister posted:

Buy a sod plugger, swap the plugs and wait a year or two. This assumes that you have even sunlight in the area. Not all grass does equally well when shaded.

This assumes you have spreading grass BTW.
I'm guessing you're suggesting this to get both types of grass evenly distributed?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mr Executive posted:

I'm trying to figure out the most elegant solution for attaching a pergola to the side of the house. Without getting into all the details, the pergola is essentially a square over the driveway. The beams will run parallel with the driveway and the rafters will span across the driveway. On one end, the beams will be supported by posts on either side of the driveway. On the house side, I'm planning on having one of the beams supported by something like Sky Lift that bolts to the top plate of the exterior wall and pokes up through the roof to hold the beam. The other beam would run along the side of the house, so I can't support it on/though the roof.

What I'm wondering is whether or not this second beam could be supported by some sort of steel bracket that sits on the top plate and pokes out through the siding on the side of the house to make a "shelf" for the beam. Essentially, I want to use big countertop support brackets to hold up one corner of a pergola.

This is a top down drawing of the house and driveway. The green squares are the posts. The blue bars are the beams. The magenta square is the sky lift coming through the roof. The red bars are the support brackets I'm asking about. The picture shows the roof peaks, so that left side of the house is flat and these brackets could be bolted to the top plate/studs inside and then poke out through the siding.

Idk if there is an elegant solution with running that symmetrical with both the house and driveway, assuming your drawing is accurate with how the driveway lies; so I don't know if it kills the thing to shrink it in at least even with the house. I really do not like the idea of that thing jutting off the edge of your roof like that. But, that's just me.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Okay I have no idea what I did or how to fix it...

I have a Toro electric mower I got at an estate sale about a year ago. No idea how old it is (owner died and it was a service holding the sale), any repairs, etc. but it's chugged along pretty well the last year. Today I went to mow the lawn, got a few rows in, and it choked out (has happened before with the grass too tall/blade too low if I skip a week). Normally I just back up, pull the fuse key, clear any blockage, and keep going. I did my regular clear and...nothing. The fuse is fine and the battery is charged. The grass itself was dry but the ground is pretty waterlogged still - did I completely gently caress it up? What else could be wrong? What should I do to troubleshoot?

Related, my side yard is always a little marshy. The grading is fine (in that it's nto pushing water towards my house and messing with my foundation), what can I do to make it less so?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

I want to do three things: first, patch the gap in the concrete at the bottom of the image (which I cut when I dug the electrical/water trench). Second, replace those pavers with a concrete walkway. Third, add a short concrete path from the doorway around the corner to where the hose bib is.

Maybe this goes without saying but it's probably best to pour #2 and #3 at the same time.

For determining how much concrete you need, I've found the charts provided by the manufacturers to be pretty accurate. I always buy an extra bag or two because it's better to have to return a bag than to run out at the tail end of a pour.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-60-lb-Concrete-Mix-110160/100318478

You're in that middle area where renting a mixer and figuring out how to transport it may be too much trouble but mixing it by hand/shovel is going to be a workout, especially if you're going solo because once you start you can't stop. If you mix by hand these work well enough:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585

It also helps to pour on a cool, overcast day or make a makeshift sun shade both for yourself and the concrete. The key imo though is not doing this alone.

Second question: for the third pour, you can see my electrical conduit coming up out of the ground. Ideally I'd like the walkway to go right up to the edge of the workshop's slab. Is it OK to embed conduit, copper pipe, and the electrical grounding rod in concrete? Obviously I'd have to be very careful with my excavation prior to pouring, and smoothing the concrete around those protrusions would be rather difficult. I'd plan on doing this pour last for that reason, to get more experience.

I see conduit etc buried in concrete but I'd be inclined to box it on 3 sides with the 4th side being the slab (well technically it'll be the expansion material you'll line against the slab wherever the walkway meets the slab). Some day even if it's decades from now that conduit may have to be repaired or replaced and it would be easier if it wasn't embedded. The box could be level with the concrete or slightly proud and perhaps you can add pea gravel around the conduit for a more finished look. Also if possible it might be good to cut your expansion joints in the walkway such that if the conduit needs to be accessed you could cut out a single section along the expansion joints and not have to cut into two "separate" sections (each section defined by its expansion joints, if you catch my drift).

Third question: the existing sidewalk doesn't have a gravel base, and seems to have been fine; there's no cracking and I didn't notice any issues with drainage when I cut through that section. My soil's pretty hard-packed stuff. Adding a gravel underlayment isn't expensive of course, but it does mean more excavation; how necessary would you consider it to be?

You'd probably be fine without it but I'd do it anyway, because if I didn't do it and it failed sooner than expected it would bug me for cutting corners even if the lack of gravel was not the cause. Watering the area for a couple days before excavating might make it easier. Tamp the gravel down hard; you can make a tamper with a piece of 2x6 screwed onto a 4x4.

Good luck! That's one awesome project you've got going.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I'm guessing you're suggesting this to get both types of grass evenly distributed?

Yep.

13Pandora13 posted:

Okay I have no idea what I did or how to fix it...

I have a Toro electric mower I got at an estate sale about a year ago. No idea how old it is (owner died and it was a service holding the sale), any repairs, etc. but it's chugged along pretty well the last year. Today I went to mow the lawn, got a few rows in, and it choked out (has happened before with the grass too tall/blade too low if I skip a week). Normally I just back up, pull the fuse key, clear any blockage, and keep going. I did my regular clear and...nothing. The fuse is fine and the battery is charged. The grass itself was dry but the ground is pretty waterlogged still - did I completely gently caress it up? What else could be wrong? What should I do to troubleshoot?

Related, my side yard is always a little marshy. The grading is fine (in that it's nto pushing water towards my house and messing with my foundation), what can I do to make it less so?

Got a multimeter? Time to start testing it like a circuit. Start from the battery and see how far the electricity gets.

Is that just a low spot?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice! Too bad by the time you'd posted I'd already poured the first job! :v:

socketwrencher posted:

Maybe this goes without saying but it's probably best to pour #2 and #3 at the same time.
Yes, when I was estimating my square footage, I realized this.

quote:

You're in that middle area where renting a mixer and figuring out how to transport it may be too much trouble but mixing it by hand/shovel is going to be a workout, especially if you're going solo because once you start you can't stop. If you mix by hand these work well enough:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585

It also helps to pour on a cool, overcast day or make a makeshift sun shade both for yourself and the concrete. The key imo though is not doing this alone.

For the patch job, I only needed to do about 200 pounds of concrete (2.5 80-pound bags). I ended up doing it with an 80-gallon tub I had lying around; that mixing tub would have been a lot easier.

I'm not sure how realistic mixing by hand will be for the second pour, though, since there'll be so much more concrete involved. Just doing the walkway where I currently have pavers is about 25 square feet, or ~1200 pounds of concrete. Adding in a short bit of sidewalk around to where the hose bib is would probably get me to over 2000 pounds.

quote:

I see conduit etc buried in concrete but I'd be inclined to box it on 3 sides with the 4th side being the slab (well technically it'll be the expansion material you'll line against the slab wherever the walkway meets the slab). Some day even if it's decades from now that conduit may have to be repaired or replaced and it would be easier if it wasn't embedded. The box could be level with the concrete or slightly proud and perhaps you can add pea gravel around the conduit for a more finished look. Also if possible it might be good to cut your expansion joints in the walkway such that if the conduit needs to be accessed you could cut out a single section along the expansion joints and not have to cut into two "separate" sections (each section defined by its expansion joints, if you catch my drift).

This is excellent advice, thank you. Making a little ~6"x6" gravel bed for the conduit makes a lot of sense to me. And yes, planning the grooves so that it won't be too much work to access the conduit again is smart.

quote:

You'd probably be fine without gravel but I'd do it anyway, because if I didn't do it and it failed sooner than expected it would bug me for cutting corners even if the lack of gravel was not the cause. Watering the area for a couple days before excavating might make it easier. Tamp the gravel down hard; you can make a tamper with a piece of 2x6 screwed onto a 4x4.

I used gravel...didn't tamp it down though. I hope that won't get me into trouble. :ohdear:

I do find it kind of amusing that gravel is substantially more expensive than concrete.

Anyway, photos from the crappy patch job I did.

The site prior to starting: about 4' long and 15" wide.

Excavated (and I pulled that bit of greenery after taking the photo):

Poured, edged, and troweled into something vaguely resembling a smooth surface:

Getting a decent surface where the pour met the existing sidewalk was tricky. It probably would have helped if I'd bought one of those 4"x16" surfacing trowels; I did this with a pointing trowel instead. I'd thought I wouldn't need the surfacing trowel because I was going to go for a brushed surface, but the unfinished surface was so rough, even after application of the concrete float, that I needed troweling just to get something vaguely acceptable.

Covered with some plywood covered in plastic wrap, because while I could have used a tarp, this job was too small to really warrant one.

Biggest takeaway: I used too much water. The mix got a little soupy at points. I don't think I used so much that it won't cure properly, but it took longer to cure enough to do the surfacing than I'd thought it would, especially considering the sunny weather.

Also, keeping Pavlov (my dog) locked inside on a beautiful day is hard on my nerves, as he really wanted to be outside.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

If I want to replace grass with mulch/a flagstone path/plants/giant rocks what's the best way? I've seen people put cardboard and newspaper over it, which seems easy enough. Or is it better to dig it out?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

13Pandora13 posted:

Related, my side yard is always a little marshy. The grading is fine (in that it's not pushing water towards my house and messing with my foundation), what can I do to make it less so?

You're gonna need to drain it by installing some sort of drainage - how big is the side yard? Is there an obvious direction you could send that water?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

I'm not sure how realistic mixing by hand will be for the second pour, though, since there'll be so much more concrete involved. Just doing the walkway where I currently have pavers is about 25 square feet, or ~1200 pounds of concrete. Adding in a short bit of sidewalk around to where the hose bib is would probably get me to over 2000 pounds.

The Quikrete link says 20 sq ft = ten 80 lb bags, so 25 sq ft is about 12-13 bags, and that's for a 4" thickness, which is overkill for a walkway. I think you'd be fine using 2x4s as forms and going 3.5" thick. Another 8-10 bags for the walkway near the hosebib so yeah that's a lot of mixing by hand if you're going solo. Get two of those plastic tubs and a helper and you're done by lunch.

I used gravel...didn't tamp it down though. I hope that won't get me into trouble. :ohdear:

Eh no worries, it sounds like you're on solid ground. Tamp the rest of it though if the spirit moves you.

Getting a decent surface where the pour met the existing sidewalk was tricky. It probably would have helped if I'd bought one of those 4"x16" surfacing trowels; I did this with a pointing trowel instead. I'd thought I wouldn't need the surfacing trowel because I was going to go for a brushed surface, but the unfinished surface was so rough, even after application of the concrete float, that I needed troweling just to get something vaguely acceptable.

Yeah the pointing trowel is probably not suited for this, I'd even prefer a 10" drywall knife. That first smooth-over doesn't have to be anything fancy, just flat with the rocks submerged. Maybe the extra water messed things up a bit because usually the concrete float brings that nice layer of cream to the surface and it ends up pretty smooth.

Also, keeping Pavlov (my dog) locked inside on a beautiful day is hard on my nerves, as he really wanted to be outside.

Maybe Pavlov can get his name engraved in an out of the way spot in the fresh concrete. Paw prints a la Grauman's Chinese Theater. I like coming across things like that from years gone by.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
just a quick question, but, uh, I know it is not an encouraging sign when my kitchen/few other spots sometimes have a fit and randomly gain/lose power, but I'm super curious how inappropriate it is for an oven burner dial to be able to turn on my microwave? and then my entire kitchen? i mean it's an old house but, uhhh, well, hm. i don't really understand the mechanism of action, there.

i'm going to get an electrician, but I'm more wondering just how terrible a sign this is.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

just a quick question, but, uh, I know it is not an encouraging sign when my kitchen/few other spots sometimes have a fit and randomly gain/lose power, but I'm super curious how inappropriate it is for an oven burner dial to be able to turn on my microwave? and then my entire kitchen? i mean it's an old house but, uhhh, well, hm. i don't really understand the mechanism of action, there.

i'm going to get an electrician, but I'm more wondering just how terrible a sign this is.

I am dying for a video of this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiler Kiwi posted:

You might also want to get an old priest and a young priest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
and those fuckers told me that they hadn't just moved the tombstones

(in actuality, it was probably the handiwork of all those mice i killed a while ago, getting their posthumous revenge

or ghost mice idk)

e: and to be clear, by on i just mean, "gain power and beep ominously at me", not "start microwaving"

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 30, 2017