Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Really hammering home the point about Hot Karl Marx's love of tweet links, the serena thing is :drudge: fake news :drudge:

http://honisoit.com/2017/04/anti-ab...rly-advantaged/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Lets face facts, nuclear is dead and buried under an avalanche of left and right bad science and NIMBYism.

Which is amazing given how good nuclear has the potential to be. All these moronic facebook memes proclaiming how Germany switched off their nuclear after Fukushima without looking at what they had to replace it with (coal or nuclear from other countries) doesn't really help either.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Man, that seems like a very round about way to ban gay marriage...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ASAPI posted:

Republicans are like children playing "I'm not touching you!"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Watch out USA we have a new defence minister and this is what he's got to say

quote:

However, if Trump says jump we won't be asking how high. "No, I think we should be proud we have an independent foreign policy -- and defence policy as well."

:laffo:

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11846952

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Man that Fyre Festival Fuckup got so bad it's being covered by all the major news agencies and the government of the Bahamas even had to make an official statement.

https://twitter.com/VisitTheBahamas/status/857949787513139200

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Third World Reggin posted:

sell that solar panels were not energy efficient until a few years ago and for years democrats were lieing about how efficient they were and were just trying to make money or bilk the government of money

but now they are ok, its all the dems fault

http://energyrealityproject.com/lets-run-the-numbers-nuclear-energy-vs-wind-and-solar/

Nuclear is the better option, especially if we can get thorium up to speed, but as someone said, NIMBY.

People would rather have a coal plant pumping radiation into the atmosphere than a nuclear reactor, and the single biggest and most sustained complaint I have heard against solar is that solar panels are ugly everywhere, so stay with coal/gas.

People are stupid

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Nuclear is the way to go. But when even people like Bill Nye say nuclear is bad, what the hell can you do really?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Even counting Chernobyl, solar power kills almost 5x as many people as nuclear on a per-kWh basis. Will rooftop installers ever learn to tie off?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2012/06/10/energys-deathprint-a-price-always-paid/

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Sebastian "Alpha Male" Gorka, probable Hungarian Nazi, can't get a security clearance in the White House, since he couldn't even get a clearance in Hungary.

So Donnie is looking to get rid of him from the NSC....

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/858057566320029697

.... and make him a member of the Senior Executive Service. Confirming drat near everything I've ever been told about 1) failing upward and 2) being reassigned somewhere else instead of fired when it's too much of a pain in the rear end or too embarrassing to just shitcan you.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

ASAPI posted:

Oh it doesn't just do that. It does a lot more.

The kicker is it joins with HB1406. Which "repeals statute that deems a child born to a married woman as a result of artificial insemination, with consent of the married woman's husband, to be the legitimate child of the husband and wife.".

Take a look at what that loving thing is.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Genocide Tendency posted:

Oh it doesn't just do that. It does a lot more.

The kicker is it joins with HB1406. Which "repeals statute that deems a child born to a married woman as a result of artificial insemination, with consent of the married woman's husband, to be the legitimate child of the husband and wife.".

Take a look at what that loving thing is.

So off the top of my head that can lead to

1. The woman demanding and getting child support from a donor.
2. The donor suing for custody after the birth.

What a mess. I'm sure there is a bunch more poo poo that could happen also.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

facialimpediment posted:

Sebastian "Alpha Male" Gorka, probable Hungarian Nazi, can't get a security clearance in the White House, since he couldn't even get a clearance in Hungary.

So Donnie is looking to get rid of him from the NSC....

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/858057566320029697

.... and make him a member of the Senior Executive Service. Confirming drat near everything I've ever been told about 1) failing upward and 2) being reassigned somewhere else instead of fired when it's too much of a pain in the rear end or too embarrassing to just shitcan you.
Gorka is unqualified and should not be on the NSC, but it's really unfair to call him a Nazi.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ded posted:

Nuclear is the way to go. But when even people like Bill Nye say nuclear is bad, what the hell can you do really?

Bill Nye's only use is for the "I loving LOVE SCIENCE, but only pictures of space and cool facts that can be distilled to about two sentences, I'm not a big fan of reading long boring science journals and thesis' " crowd to feel smug about poo poo with. So I wouldn't be too concerned, except for the damage he can do to the general cause of climate change by looking as bad as Tucker Carlson in a debate.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 28, 2017

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

ded posted:

So off the top of my head that can lead to

1. The woman demanding and getting child support from a donor.
2. The donor suing for custody after the birth.

What a mess. I'm sure there is a bunch more poo poo that could happen also.

Depends on the states laws but it can affect everything from parental rights to whether or not a parent has to pay child support in the event of a divorce.

Also can affect inheritance and in the event of a sole surviving relative, the ability to make decisions in the event of incapacitation.

The list of very bad things is potentially very loving long. Its a disaster.

Speaking of disasters.. Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The Fyre Festival is amazing.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ded posted:

I mean nuclear is bad. The waste lingers for drat near forever, you need an inordinate amount of security around everything associated with it. Everything is over-engineered to hell and back to avoid any catastrophes. It's expensive as gently caress.

It's just far less bad than any of the fossil fuel alternatives

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Man that Fyre Festival Fuckup got so bad it's being covered by all the major news agencies and the government of the Bahamas even had to make an official statement.

https://twitter.com/VisitTheBahamas/status/857949787513139200

It is, it really really is.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 28, 2017

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I found a forum post from someone who was there. Post is worth reading in its entirety, but excerpts:

quote:

So we started gettind wind that something wasn't right on Monday, a friend of mine who owns a contracting company that specializes in outdoor events told me that they got a frantic call Saturday and they got offered the contract to "finish" some minor changes to the island. He said when he got there he startd laughing because he really though this was pracitcal joke. He was with me on a aid mission to Haiti and told me that the tent village in Haiti after the earthquake was better put together and more sanitary than this place. I asked him to send me pics and he said he couldn't because they signed a non disclosure, they paid him 100% up front. So this is saturday at like 6, he didn't get there until after 1pm so all the places he would have loaded up on supplies was closed and he wouldn't be able to do anything really until monday. The promoters NEW all of this and still didn't want to cancel.
[...]
I wanted to go see the fuckery for myself. These pictures are nice. When we got on land, one girl was at the Medical area having the worse panic attack, she was chased in her tent by a ferile dog, and when she made it in her tent there was another dog on her bed and one was tearing up her Louis duffle bag. And then tents, dear gawd. I know for a fact they got them used from some disaster relief contractor, I know what the new ones look like from setting them up in Haiti for the last decade. There was a shower truck, not sure if you've ever seen one but it's like a big rig trailer with shower sections. Some people couldn't call home because their phones died and there weren't power stations, and the staff wasn't letting them use the generators.

I'm glad we stocked up on our own food because the bullshit they were giving the people on the free menu was sad, I've seen better options in jail (yes my saddity rear end spent 1 night in jail). If you wanted to get better food you had to use your wrist band. You had to BUY WATER. They later hanged that and allowed bottle water to be free, You got 1 free bottle with each meal, but after that you had to buy, but the did fix that.

I'm still gathering the good tea so i'll hopefully have more, but it all comes down to YES it was a scam, the promoters knew on Monday this poo poo wasn't going to work. What i did get was they were counting on the villa sales and yacht charters to be there to provide the budget for the cheaper tickets, and they didn't get a lot of them. They allowed to many people to book the smaller packages and there just wasn't enough money. Also they thought there would be more people booking actual villas and compounds, they weren't prepared for the more or less "regular" people booking most of the tickets.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/857646459973509120

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

*Donnie hands folded flag to parents
"Congratulations"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm sure the 82nd will act delicately and professionally and there won't be any more escalation.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Casimir Radon posted:

"Congratulations"

loving nice

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

"Congratulations"

Fuuuuuck

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

"Congratulations"

tremendous

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bolow posted:

I mean nuclear is bad. The waste lingers for drat near forever, you need an inordinate amount of security around everything associated with it. Everything is over-engineered to hell and back to avoid any catastrophes. It's expensive as gently caress.

It's just far less bad than any of the fossil fuel alternatives

I don't have a degree in nuclear physics so I can't outline the exact formulas or anything but the reading I did on more modern designs said this was a mostly-solved problem. Basically if something is radioactive enough sitting around that it needs to go under a mountain, it's still got energy that can be captured with reactor designs more modern than the 1950s.

And of course even if you completely ignore that and go with the old school stuff, it's still less radioactive than a similar amount of energy from coal. Just the coal radioactivity goes into the air along with all the soot, smoke, sulphur, CO2 etc, where we can magically ignore the problem because the "clean coal" fairy solves it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

RFC2324 posted:

http://energyrealityproject.com/lets-run-the-numbers-nuclear-energy-vs-wind-and-solar/

Nuclear is the better option, especially if we can get thorium up to speed, but as someone said, NIMBY.

People would rather have a coal plant pumping radiation into the atmosphere than a nuclear reactor, and the single biggest and most sustained complaint I have heard against solar is that solar panels are ugly everywhere, so stay with coal/gas.

People are stupid

I've heard the same argument (They're ugly!) about wind turbines in New England. People are loving dumb.

Though my girlfriend's parents own a farm in Maryland and they have their house and all their barns covered in solar panels. They bought into it mostly because of the ability to save money as well as sell energy back to the grid. Otherwise, they are solid Trump Supporters and "I don't think climate change is nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be" types.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

"Congratulations"

Motherfucker. :golfclap:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Casimir Radon posted:

"Congratulations"

Bigly

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

"Congratulations"

:trumppop:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Depends on the states laws but it can affect everything from parental rights to whether or not a parent has to pay child support in the event of a divorce.

Also can affect inheritance and in the event of a sole surviving relative, the ability to make decisions in the event of incapacitation.

The list of very bad things is potentially very loving long. Its a disaster.

Speaking of disasters.. Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I just looked at the actual Fyre Festival website, and holy gently caress.

People thought "Yup, that's a good use of my money and not at all shady, let's go there".

/edit:

Behold, a luxury festival:

https://twitter.com/FyreFraud/status/857660012122058752

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 28, 2017

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Best Korea just had another missile failure

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-idUSKBN17U2XB

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 28, 2017

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just looked at the actual Fyre Festival website, and holy gently caress.

People thought "Yup, that's a good use of my money and not at all shady, let's go there".

I knew it was shady when I read Music Festival and Blink 182 was involved.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Meanwhile, at the NRA Leadership conference in Atlanta, Wayne Lapierre is claiming that Liberals, Teachers, and Bernie Sanders are destroying America

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/nras-wayne-lapierre-teachers-journalists-and-bernie-sanders-are-destroying-america/

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I knew it was shady when I read Music Festival and Blink 182 was involved.

Speaking of Blink 182:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.1162e320464d

quote:

In his search for information, DeLonge said he made his way into upper echelons of the American government. In October, the Wall Street Journal reported that DeLonge corresponded with John Podesta, the chair for Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign, according to emails WikiLeaks had released; Podesta, for his part, has frequently advocated for the United States to declassify any information regarding Area 51 or other UFO incidents.

It took DeLonge a year, but he managed to set up “very high level meetings” with members of the Defense Department, he said. “And I got to the people that are in charge of this stuff.” He declined to confirm to The Washington Post whether he had met with Podesta or any specific government officials. “I can’t comment on who I met with,” he said, “or what those meetings were about.”

A Defense Department spokesman said in an email to The Washington Post that neither the Defense Department’s Community Relations nor the Air Force had records of such a meeting. The spokesman “did see one open source story that named generals who supposedly worked with Mr. DeLonge.” Both of the generals mentioned had retired, the representative said, the first in October 2013 and the other in June of 2014.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Though my girlfriend's parents own a farm in Maryland and they have their house and all their barns covered in solar panels. They bought into it mostly because of the ability to save money as well as sell energy back to the grid. Otherwise, they are solid Trump Supporters and "I don't think climate change is nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be" types.

That's the thing - there are tons of arguments to be made for green energy that don't have anything to do with saving the planet. Don't get so hung up on changing a global warming denier's mind when you can just tell them that renewable energy is cheaper and distributed energy generation systems are more resilient to North Korean/ISIS attacks.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Meanwhile, at the NRA Leadership conference in Atlanta, Wayne Lapierre is claiming that Liberals, Teachers, and Bernie Sanders are destroying America

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/nras-wayne-lapierre-teachers-journalists-and-bernie-sanders-are-destroying-america/

The NRA is the greatest threat to the Second Amendment.

Every time one of their idiots opens their mouth, it makes it harder to convince non gun owners that not all of us are that god drat stupid.

Edit:

Buca di Bepis posted:

That's the thing - there are tons of arguments to be made for green energy that don't have anything to do with saving the planet. Don't get so hung up on changing a global warming denier's mind when you can just tell them that renewable energy is cheaper and distributed energy generation systems are more resilient to North Korean/ISIS attacks.

My entire "ban fracking" rant is centered around earthquake prevention. Scares the poo poo out of people when they think their house is going to get leveled and because its man made their insurance won't cover it.

No idea if the insurance part is wrong, but I don't feel the need to correct them.

Genocide Tendency fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 29, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
FINALLY signed. Government officially funded through May 5th.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/858097526414729221

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The NRA is the greatest threat to the Second Amendment.

Every time one of their idiots opens their mouth, it makes it harder to convince non gun owners that not all of us are that god drat stupid.

Jesus Christ, this! After Trump got elected I helped three ultra-liberal friends get their CCW and none of them will talk about it with our other friends because no one wants to be associated even tangentially with the idiot reactionaries who run the NRA.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

shame on an IGA posted:

Really hammering home the point about Hot Karl Marx's love of tweet links, the serena thing is :drudge: fake news :drudge:

http://honisoit.com/2017/04/anti-ab...rly-advantaged/

My last dozen or so posts aren't really that serious. I'm mainly trying to keep things light cause the world sucks right now (it always sucks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zeroisanumber posted:

Jesus Christ, this! After Trump got elected I helped three ultra-liberal friends get their CCW and none of them will talk about it with our other friends because no one wants to be associated even tangentially with the idiot reactionaries who run the NRA.

Don't some states require a NRA membership for CHL/Firearm purchases?

• Locked thread