Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Now, the Tau fleet. Very interesting fleet, some would say and I would agree, that this is the best fleet in the game outside of extremely well handled Eldar or well decked out Orks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
The khornate Tau destroyer swarm was a moment of true glory.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Wow... the Tau accents are... kinda racist.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Samovar posted:

Wow... the Tau accents are... kinda racist.

Yeah it's, unfortunate, like how all the portraits of the IM are all white men.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Annointed posted:

Yeah it's, unfortunate, like how all the portraits of the IM are all white men.

One of the redeeming features about the Imperium is that it's pretty tolerant of a lot of things real world fascists hate, like PoC, LGBTQIA people, and women. But this usually only appears in some of the expanded universe books. In the mainstream material it's mostly straight, white men with english accents.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

White Coke posted:

One of the redeeming features about the Imperium is that it's pretty tolerant of a lot of things real world fascists hate, like PoC, LGBTQIA people, and women. But this usually only appears in some of the expanded universe books. In the mainstream material it's mostly straight, white men with english accents.

In the Grim Dark Future, there is only equality amongst all minorities. Except the Xenos, gently caress them, with a chainsword.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Discriminating for petty reasons like this just distracts from the important goal of Purging The Xenos And Smiting The Heretic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Annointed posted:

In the Grim Dark Future, there is only equality amongst all minorities. Except the Xenos, gently caress them, with a chainsword.

After seeing the Xenos, can you really blame 'em?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

White Coke posted:

Something that always gives me a good giggle is that in their respective expanded universes, Warhammer 40k has more, and more positive, depictions of LGBT people than Star Trek and Star Wars combined.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Whats the diffrence between diffuculty settings anyway? Im thinking of switching to hard because normal is too easy for the most part. Except orcs. They still screw me over.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Cythereal posted:

Something that always gives me a good giggle is that in their respective expanded universes, Warhammer 40k has more, and more positive, depictions of LGBT people than Star Trek and Star Wars combined.

But hey at least the latest star wars movie had a badass gay couple

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I haven't been keeping up with my lore for some years, who's LGBT in 40k?

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

sleepy.eyes posted:

The standing joke is that the Sisters of Battle, as a whole, are almost entirely LGBT.

For actual lore, I'm in the same boat as you.

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg

sleepy.eyes posted:

Some fucks on a hive planet about to be turned into a writhing chaos flesh-mass probably

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sel Nar posted:

The standing joke is that the Sisters of Battle, as a whole, are almost entirely LGBT.

For actual lore, I'm in the same boat as you.

There was a confirmed lesbian Sister of Battle of some high rank in one of the Ciaphas Cain novels.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Hunter Noventa posted:

There was a confirmed lesbian Sister of Battle of some high rank in one of the Ciaphas Cain novels.

You're misremembering. The SOB was confirmed as not celibate but was sleeping with a dude.

Sgt Magot and Cpl. Griffen are the lesbian couple. Whose love was strong enough to get them through a necron tomb with Cain and Jurgen.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

You're misremembering. The SOB was confirmed as not celibate but was sleeping with a dude.

Sgt Magot and Cpl. Griffen are the lesbian couple. Whose love was strong enough to get them through a necron tomb with Cain and Jurgen.

Ah right, been a while since I read those books.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
On topic of the Tau, while most of their ships (other then their imho overpriced battleship) are good, the best ship is actually the Demiurge Fortress.

It is tough (1000 hit points, 400 shield points), especially for a Tau unit, does pretty decent damage (mostly to the sides, frontal armament isnt great) has torpedoes and fighters and can wreck any other ship if stuff happens in an asteroid field.
Add having a lot of turrets, which can be upgraded to damage ships. If you invest in the 2 turret upgrades, thats an always hitting extra 6 dps on very short (3K) range. It is especially great vs. Eldar because I think it ignores holofields but not armor.

The fortress is also good at ramming. Whatever it rams gets hit by the defense turrets upgrades and the big fuckoff cutting beam.

Strategically, you place it to create a big "gently caress you here be dragons" zone in an asteroid field. Keep the asteroid field between the enemy fleet and your squishier but longer ranged Tau vessels and enjoy the fireworks.
If they try to bypass it, they get hit by the broadsides, and leave a very dangerous combatant behind (fully loaded cutting beam wrecks poo poo pretty quickly, even really tough stuff). Flushing it out of its cover is hard to due to its organic fighter cover, and you need a pretty specialized fleet to outrange and outshoot Tau.

The only problem is that taking 2 of them gets expensive.

Oh, the Kroot sphere is junk. It may have edge uses in very low point games, but it basically is a more or less stationary fortress that occupies a slot that could be a demiurge fortress.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Ah right, been a while since I read those books.

There's also been several in the Horus Heresy novels, mostly remembrancers (think state-sponsored artists, historians, and propagandists commissioned by the Imperium to record its glories and triumphs).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

An overview of the Archenemy. An extremely powerful early game fleet, and I wish we got a Chaos campaign expansion.

Mightypeon posted:

Oh, the Kroot sphere is junk. It may have edge uses in very low point games, but it basically is a more or less stationary fortress that occupies a slot that could be a demiurge fortress.

I love the Kroot sphere because its the dumbest thing. It's great even though it is useless.

Also, I've streamed 2 hours of Man O' War Corsair, the Warhammer Fantasy ship game, and in roughly half an hour from this post I'll be streaming it again.

Man O'War Corsair, Part 2

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 30, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

An overview of the Archenemy. An extremely powerful early game fleet, and I wish we got a Chaos campaign expansion.

I love the Kroot sphere because its the dumbest thing. It's great even though it is useless.

Also, I've streamed 2 hours of Man O' War Corsair, the Warhammer Fantasy ship game, and in roughly half an hour from this post I'll be streaming it again.

I'm gonna tune in to Man O' War. Ever since they put Captain's skills and more time compression/waypoint options in I've been having a lot of fun with it. I don't play it at work, though. Why would you even accuse me of such a thing?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the real heresy the chaos ships do is not have a proper prow for ramming.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Spiders are cool.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So what's your beef with DoW 3 (and sorta 2)?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Those Chaos soundclips are very... lackluster.

Heck, I'd say they sound almost Ork-y.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 30, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

So what's your beef with DoW 3 (and sorta 2)?

Dawn of War 3 shipped with only three factions, homogenised them, introduced "Elite units" that are way overpowered and is pushing multiplayer over singleplayer. It removed the cover and morale systems from previous games, and I hate how it looks. I like the Ork Waagh mechanic though, that is really cool. Everything else seems like simplifications and trying to appeal to everyone while really pleasing nobody (or at least, not me).

Dawn of War 2 is just not my speed. Moving around with hero squads with special abilities, fast micromanagement and tactical squad manoeuvring without base-building would be more fun if it had a slow-down/planning mechanic. I'm not a high APM RTS player. I still kinda enjoyed it but not enough to play through its full campaign, let alone Chaos Rising or Retribution. I might revisit it now that I've gotten into MOBAs and have become more accustomed to hero unit control rather than Supreme Commander style games, which is pretty much what I exclusively played around that time.

Atomikus posted:

DoW2 is much better in co-op anyway. It pretty much cuts the required APM in half

Never got a chance to play it in co-op. Does sound great, but GFWL had previously put me off trying it. Might try it now its Steamworks.

my dad posted:

Spiders are cool.

mods, please ban him

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 30, 2017

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
DoW2 is much better in co-op anyway. It pretty much cuts the required APM in half

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
This news about DoW 3 bums me out, because I just recently got a new desktop to run games like DoW 3 that my work laptop can't handle, but I had assumed (optimistically) from glancing at previews that DoW 3 would incorporate the best parts of the first two, because I loved both those games for different reasons.

Doesn't bum me out that much though. At least now I won't have to play Total Warhammer at 1280 windowed resolution or whatever I was doing to get it to run smooth.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Cathode Raymond posted:

This news about DoW 3 bums me out, because I just recently got a new desktop to run games like DoW 3 that my work laptop can't handle, but I had assumed (optimistically) from glancing at previews that DoW 3 would incorporate the best parts of the first two, because I loved both those games for different reasons.

Doesn't bum me out that much though. At least now I won't have to play Total Warhammer at 1280 windowed resolution or whatever I was doing to get it to run smooth.

From what little I've played of the campaign... it basically does what you're saying (incorporates pieces of both) but in the worst way possible. It's also kinda like Red Alert 3 in that many of the units (although not all of them) have a special ability that is attached, meaning that you're gonna need to be APM'ing and keeping VERY good track of the battlefield to take full advantage of the situation.

I liked DoW2 personally, because it seemed to catch the basic idea of it's main protagonists (the Marines) in that a single squad could win an entire planet. So every unit and ability felt more meaningful.

Admittedly I'm only on level 3 of the campaign, but this also brings up the other major issues with DOW3. You don't get to settle into a faction and figure it out before they jump you to another faction. The first three levels have been tutorials for each race rather than actually letting me feel like I'm learning their system.

Svanh
Apr 20, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Dawn of War 3 shipped with only three factions, homogenised them, introduced "Elite units" that are way overpowered and is pushing multiplayer over singleplayer. It removed the cover and morale systems from previous games, and I hate how it looks. I like the Ork Waagh mechanic though, that is really cool. Everything else seems like simplifications and trying to appeal to everyone while really pleasing nobody (or at least, not me).

I'd disagree that the factions have been homogenised. If anything, I think they're less homogeneous than in the previous two games.

Eldar units all have regenerating shields but very little health so you need to make hit-and-run attacks. They also receive a movement speed and shield regeneration bonus when somewhere near a webway gate and they can still teleport their buildings everywhere.

Orks have high health but lose squad members easily. All their units can upgrade by looting wrecked vehicles and buildings and their builder unit can build vehicles cheaper than normal by looting. They have the same teching structure as in DoW1 but the Waagh towers can now start a Waagh. Orks are probably the best they've been in any Dawn of War game.

Space Marine units all have decent health but few units in a squad so they don't lose as much DPS when they take damage. They can build units in droppods as well as from a production building and can call down a chapter standard to buff nearby troops.

Great work on the LP by the way. The videos going over each fleet are great. :)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Summary of Chaos Skirmish:
"alight we are going to send this ship to engage -" FOR THE DARK GODS", and this ship "COMMAND ME!!" will "SET ENGINES TO FULL!!!!" will ram "ADJUSTING ENGINES FOR ROTATION!!!" these guys, and this ship "FOR THE DARK GODS!!!"......

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

SugarAddict posted:

Summary of Chaos Skirmish:
"alight we are going to send this ship to engage -" FOR THE DARK GODS", and this ship "COMMAND ME!!" will "SET ENGINES TO FULL!!!!" will ram "ADJUSTING ENGINES FOR ROTATION!!!" these guys, and this ship "FOR THE DARK GODS!!!"......

The voice acting seems similarly balanced for the Space Marines and Tau. That is to say- poorly.

Herp, did you turn it down on the LP's save file?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Im on the eldar alliance mission in my normal playthrough. Im a lot less focused on hit and run tactics and more on brute strength. The Orcs are still kicking my rear end :negative:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Teledahn posted:

Herp, did you turn it down on the LP's save file?

What, the voice? My audio settings are all whack, but voice is higher than before.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Ork skirmish and fleet overview. Following this, normal service will continue.

And Man O' War Part 3.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 2, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh, Space Orks. Will you ever not be endearingly psychopathic?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Samovar posted:

Oh, Space Orks. Will you ever not be endearingly psychopathic?

I hope not. It's what makes them fun. Without the endearing psycopathy, what would be tyhe point/

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Wait no Eldar skirmish?

Also I am super sad there is no deffskull favour availible. When I get the game I guess I will just have to run an IN fleet in blue and pretend

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Orks, the best race. I will never love another as much as you! Only the IG come close.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Herp already showed off the Eldar in Skirmish.

It didn't go well. Because the Eldar are crap. :v:

• Locked thread