Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Easy fix

rules update posted:

400.7i
When a card moves to a new zone, it becomes a new object with no relation to the object it was in its previous zone. The 400.7 subrules list exceptions to that rule. Madness is joining them: if you don't cast the card you exile with madness, the game can track it when it moves to your graveyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
So far amonkhet has been a blast to draft. All the color pairs seem draftable and most games I play are 'real games.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Necronomicon posted:

Holy moly don't do this. Don't sell them, don't trade them. Don't be that guy.

To be fair, even the best-looking counterfeits can have a weird gummy texture to them that differs greatly from the real deal. I know this because of reasons.

Speaking of which, what's a good jeweler's loupe for magic cards? I don't want some cheap $5 one, just something that'll last a while.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man i want to draft tonight but i have the flu real bad :(

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Having drafted Amonkhet a few times in MTGO. It's pretty good. Way more fun than Kaladesh / Aether Revolt

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think I'm gonna draft tonight, I missed the pre-release so tell me, in the all of a week this set has been draftable, anything standing out as good.

I've done a few drafts online and I'm 3-0, 2-1, 1-2, and 0-2, so pretty much all over the place. That said I like to be aggressive in this format if possible. Exert feels a lot like landfall in that it makes you want to be attacking. Maybe for that reason removal is really strong in my experience.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Eela6 posted:

So far amonkhet has been a blast to draft. All the color pairs seem draftable and most games I play are 'real games.

Every set needs a cycling-style curve lubricant. So many non games averted. Favorite format since KTK so far.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's so nice to have a set with mana sink and cardflow mechanics again after the 'your 7th+ land is an actual dead draw' world of Kaladesh.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

The Shortest Path posted:

Don't actually do this. Not only is it just a lovely thing to do, but if you get caught a lot of stores will send your name around to a bunch of other stores and you'll get blacklisted from your local area. Store owners don't tolerate that poo poo at all.

Counterfeits are for playing the game without having to take a second mortgage out on your house, not for screwing other players out of their money.

That's when you sign up for a new DCI number but with a fake name!!!!!!!!!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Every set needs a cycling-style curve lubricant. So many non games averted. Favorite format since KTK so far.
Went 1–2 despite Glorybringer, should've probably played more cyclers. :(

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i guess what i mean isn't so much "what should i draft", i meant more "what should I look out for"

tho yeah you're right, that's just as open-ended haha, so yeah nevermind

I'd say this set requires even more than usual to be very aware of what colors are open, because you want to make your two-color deck as consistent (and synergistic, in many cases) as possible. If you're BW, you want to prioritize zombies, anything that makes zombies so that means embalm cards (cycling is secondary). In RW, prioritize low curve/high power and removal - exert is very good here. In BG, get all the things that care about -1/-1 counters. In BR, get the removal and combat tricks (and a good amount of creatures, of course). In WU, get fliers and removal - embalm and exert are good to utilize here. In UB you want to be taking advantage of cycling payloads and generally being more midrange-y/controlling, so 2-for-1s and big butts are a must. UG likes to be tempo-based and rampy, so mana dudes, big dudes, and stuff that counters, bounces, or taps down are good. RG wants to beat face with big, hasty, trampley creatures supported by removal and combat tricks. WG cares about going wide, so anything that makes tokens, embalms, or pumps your team is choice - plenty of untap effects and exert creatures, so look out for those interactions as well. UR is the spells-matter deck, and cycling is a sub-theme - you want efficient removal, synergies, and finishers.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheAsterite posted:

Speaking of which, what's a good jeweler's loupe for magic cards? I don't want some cheap $5 one, just something that'll last a while.

Those ARE the good ones. Have had mine for 6-7 years now and keep it in the front pocket of the hobby backpack with everything else.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

Cause he makes videos of funny, improbable decks. I don't watch him, but playing well obviously isn't the point of his content.

SaffronOlive is the best content creator in Magic right now.

I legit think there's something wrong with people who find some reason to hate on either him or the website (which is by a wide margin the most helpful website for various MTG needs for me). He isn't doing anything that should even vaguely upset anyone.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I assume you mean morally never good, because the guy makes wacky brews that people assume are far better than they actually are which creates an upward force on prices and they never go down due to cards' persistent price memory.

mcmagic has admitted he does not derive any fun from Magic other than winning.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 28, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah Saffron Olive is great and you guys are a bunch of Johnny Rainclouds

The problem that this thread has with him is that he audibly has fun while playing Magic, which is heretical

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sit on my Facebook posted:

The problem that this thread has with him is that he audibly has fun while playing Magic, which is heretical

Lets compare his articles and videos against everything starcity has made in the past 2 years. If that wasn't enough to make you laugh then realize how much of starcity's was behind a paywall.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Given how the last wacky deck builder in this forsaken game was a nazi sympathizer, I don't know if I can trust another one.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

actually saffron olive is super johnny and these are all spikey rainclouds :v:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

He's having fun playing wacky goofball decks, which is cool and good.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Saffron Olive has the worst voice imaginable and keeps retweeting obviously fake spoilers. Worse than Hitler, obv.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

His videos aren't quite my favourite, but I love his goofball decks.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Walked posted:

Having drafted Amonkhet a few times in MTGO. It's pretty good. Way more fun than Kaladesh / Aether Revolt

I didn't play 3KLD, but I really like AER, AER, KLD (not as much as Chris Pikula, but a lot). And I still agree this set is much more fun.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

TheMaestroso posted:

[A good post]

In addition to this, Karsten's pick order is up: https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/a-pick-order-list-for-amonkhet/

Commit the top commons and uncommons to memory for your P1P1 convenience. Shockingly, it's premium removal that edges out the lower-tier rares and mythics.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

Lets compare his articles and videos against everything starcity has made in the past 2 years. If that wasn't enough to make you laugh then realize how much of starcity's was behind a paywall.

I'm not sure which way you're going with your value judgment here

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cactrot posted:

He's having fun playing wacky goofball decks, which is cool and good.

Passion is good and I enjoy the videos for the most part. But god drat is Serra Angel really that hard to pronounce?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't enjoy SaffronOlive's content and I solve that by not watching his content

I unironically hope that the people who enjoy it watch it and continue to enjoy

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
MtGGoldfish is a healthy, new font of information & content for the community (even if the crew can be annoying at times)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

He's somehow a lot more reasonable on the MTG Goldfish podcast, which is honestly a good podcast. Probably because there are 2 other people there including Chas, who I find imminently reasonable and normal.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

In addition to this, Karsten's pick order is up: https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/a-pick-order-list-for-amonkhet/

Commit the top commons and uncommons to memory for your P1P1 convenience. Shockingly, it's premium removal that edges out the lower-tier rares and mythics.

This reads very much like a list created before actually playing the set, which is what it is. I see so many things on here that are clearly way off after just a handful of drafts.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm happy people enjoy SaffronOlive and I use his site all the time but I can not watch anything he does because his voice is the absolute worst.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Alright, now that everyone has listed how much they like or dislike SaffronOlive, let's get to the real MTG chat: Exemplar of Strength looks like a gay Lando Calrissian.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I know it looks a lot like a moustache, but that's actually the lady's curled lip.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Tales of Woe posted:

This reads very much like a list created before actually playing the set, which is what it is. I see so many things on here that are clearly way off after just a handful of drafts.

Are you seeing things that are way off in the first three sections? I should have clarified I think this is mostly useful for ranking the commons for P1P1. If I open my first pack, shuffle through the commons and don't see Final Reward, Electrify, Magma Spray, Compulsory Rest, or Cartouche of Strength, I'm going to hope the Uncommon/Rare slots have something good for me. I do agree he should have Edifice of Authority higher.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Tales of Woe posted:

:justpost:

If you want to show how cool and good you are, share your actual opinion instead of tearing down something else.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Procrastinator posted:

If you want to show how cool and good you are, share your actual opinion instead of tearing down something else.

You must be new to this thread

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Procrastinator posted:

You must be new to this thread

He freely admits that he made that list without ever actually drafting the set, lol. Unless you are really new to drafting, it is legitamitely not helpful. At least read the LSV reviews where he explains the cards a little bit. Karsten's article is just images of the cards in a mostly arbitrary order.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I have not played the set at all yet, but in my expert opinion the 3/3 flyer that embalm for 5 mana is extremely good, and you should draft them if glory-bringer is not available

that blue 2/3 for 2 that embalms is pretty nuts as well

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Basically anything that flies is good, fighting on the ground gets really grindy really fast.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

little munchkin posted:

that blue 2/3 for 2 that embalms is pretty nuts as well
Not if you try to put a cartouche on it!

related, playing a WB zombies deck because I opened Lili. Have 1 of each Trial and 2 of each Cartouche and they're really powerful once they get going.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

little munchkin posted:

He freely admits that he made that list without ever actually drafting the set, lol. Unless you are really new to drafting, it is legitamitely not helpful. At least read the LSV reviews where he explains the cards a little bit. Karsten's article is just images of the cards in a mostly arbitrary order.

He doesn't claim that the imaged cards are listed in order at all, just that those groups of cards fit in the categories he made. And after drafting several times over the past week I can say that the top categories are pretty spot on (at least in regard to the cards I've played with/against). There's obviously going to be some disconnect because very few people will be able to see every card played in their time with the format, especially in an actually good shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

odiv posted:

Not if you try to put a cartouche on it!

The cool thing is that there are so few ways to get screwed by the half-illusion clause. Either the opponent spends a card on it, or you personally mess up and target it yourself. That's pretty solid for a two-mana 2/3 at uncommon.