Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Star Platinum posted:

I just noticed that Grim Fandango, Machinarium and Kathy Rain are available on Humble Mobile Bundle for $1. I mainly care about the first two, are they good ports?
Machinarium seems to be, I can't remember if I played the entire game on my phone but I at least did most of it. I haven't played Grim Fandango on mobile though. I've heard Kathy Rain is a good game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I've played through grim fandango on mobile. The UI was about as good/bad as the PC version.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bored, need a new game, overwhelmed by the amount of choices on the play store. Also kind of irritated because I don't know what kind of game I'm in the mood for.

Not a puzzle game or puzzle RPG, I'm sick of those. And Boom Beach fulfills my quota of 'build a city and attack other cities and try not to die when yours is attacked' poo poo. It also fills my quota of timer games, right now I could use one that'll entertain me for a short while in a row and not just checking in once an hour or day.

Thinking maybe a tycoon style or something similar? Anything new that stands out?

khy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 28, 2017

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've been playing some Tinker Beach on my phone for the past week or so, and been enjoying it. At its core, I suppose you could classify it as one of those timer-based games, where you tap a thing to build it and wait X time for it to build. But it's a lot better than that.

See, you assign people to do one of four things: build a building/item, gather resources, explore, or work at a resource point (which is like gathering, but gives stuff at a constant rate). Everything you do has a 'goal' and a timer. For example, gathering wood from a tree may have a goal of 250 and a timer of 10 minutes. For each survivor you assign to that tree, their skill value will contribute to that goal, and when all your survivors have been assigned to something, the timers actually start.

Things will happen while you attempt to accomplish goals - maybe you'll find more resources to work with while performing an exploring task, maybe an enemy will show up that you need to fight, maybe you'll get a pack of resources, that sort of thing. And there are journal entries where you sometimes make choices to get resources, or affect things later on, etc.

My biggest gripe with it is the premium currency - you don't get a whole lot of it, and everything uses it - getting new survivors (though there are a bunch you can get in the game), speeding up timers, healing your guys, etc. But I kind of like the game, exploring this island to see what I can find on it. Plus there's a light little flower minigame that you can play while waiting for timers to pass, and to get other bonuses, like one-use survivors.

At its core, its a timer game, but it's a surprisingly well-done one.

Edit: I built a mech that I can fit four people in to explore an ice floe.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 28, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any opinions on C.A.T.S.,that build your own machine and fight another machine physics game?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Morpheus posted:

I've been playing some Tinker Beach on my phone for the past week or so, and been enjoying it. At its core, I suppose you could classify it as one of those timer-based games, where you tap a thing to build it and wait X time for it to build. But it's a lot better than that.

See, you assign people to do one of four things: build a building/item, gather resources, explore, or work at a resource point (which is like gathering, but gives stuff at a constant rate). Everything you do has a 'goal' and a timer. For example, gathering wood from a tree may have a goal of 250 and a timer of 10 minutes. For each survivor you assign to that tree, their skill value will contribute to that goal, and when all your survivors have been assigned to something, the timers actually start.

Things will happen while you attempt to accomplish goals - maybe you'll find more resources to work with while performing an exploring task, maybe an enemy will show up that you need to fight, maybe you'll get a pack of resources, that sort of thing. And there are journal entries where you sometimes make choices to get resources, or affect things later on, etc.

My biggest gripe with it is the premium currency - you don't get a whole lot of it, and everything uses it - getting new survivors (though there are a bunch you can get in the game), speeding up timers, healing your guys, etc. But I kind of like the game, exploring this island to see what I can find on it. Plus there's a light little flower minigame that you can play while waiting for timers to pass, and to get other bonuses, like one-use survivors.

At its core, its a timer game, but it's a surprisingly well-done one.

Edit: I built a mech that I can fit four people in to explore an ice floe.

I'm not seeing a Tinker Beach in the play store. Is it maybe Tinker Island?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kongregate.mobile.tinkerisland.google

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Tsietisin posted:

I'm going to create pay-2-win: the game.

All it will be is an online scoreboard that ranks you depending on the amount of IAP you buy.

I'll be a millionaire by Tuesday.

IIRC this was actually done in the early days of the iTunes App Store by... someone involved with Cheapass Games, I wanna say. Literally, you bought leaderboard rank. It got pulled pretty quickly.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

EzEight posted:

As a Summoner War like game its polished and as its a new game its great time to build an account.

If you're talking about War of Crown, which parts of the game do you consider polished? The rest of my post is bitching about a thing that I didn't like, but I am genuinely curious about what people like about it, and I am certainly open to being persuaded to install it again.

Anyway, for me, a big pet peeve is when the screens and menus that you see all the time in a game are not designed very well, and this is why I uninstalled the game without really even playing it. The "equip items to your units" screens, for example, are set up so you can't see any stats about your unit when you're thinking about equipping stuff. You can only see stats if you long-press on a unit's portrait in the unit-list window, which IMO is pretty bad. It got even worse for me when I got through to a unit stat sheet and found that the stats are listed in a tiny pane in one corner of the screen, and to see all the stats that you have to swipe with your finger to scroll down through each one. I admit I didn't spend much time trying the game out, but I can't see myself playing something where I have to do a dozens of taps and swipes going back and forth to different screens just to figure out whether this shiny new +2 axe of butt-bashing is an upgrade.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 28, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Goons, how good is YMBAB? I didn't play the previous game, but I heard that this one makes it kind of obsolete.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
If you want to play a match game and don't mind it being kinda grindy it's fun.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Goons, how good is YMBAB? I didn't play the previous game, but I heard that this one makes it kind of obsolete.

They are both tightly designed upgrade based match 3 games with definitive endings, play them both if you like that kinda thing.

incogneato posted:

I'm not seeing a Tinker Beach in the play store. Is it maybe Tinker Island?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kongregate.mobile.tinkerisland.google

That's definitely Tinker Island, yes. I will echo his sentiment that it's a well made branching story based timer game. It has some trappings of a survival game but ultimately it's just timers and they do get a bit long. It's worth checking out though if you don't have other timer based nonsense on your docket.

the auschwitz diet fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 28, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks for the thoughts on YMBAB. One more question: what do you goons think of Knights of Pen and Paper? I'm really trying to find something new to play.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

KoPP is a goon favorite from way back. I got it in a bundle and never got into it, but it was well-received. I don't remember if that was one where the sequel was better/worse/different.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

KoPP is a goon favorite from way back. I got it in a bundle and never got into it, but it was well-received. I don't remember if that was one where the sequel was better/worse/different.

Goon opinion was that two was worse I believe

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Hmm, I'm not seeing the sequel on the Play Store.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hmm, I'm not seeing the sequel on the Play Store.

Shows up as not available on my device, so maybe it's not available in America or something.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paradoxplaza.kopp2

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Polytopia is such a great simplified Civilization game but is there a way to save my game so I can start another match without losing the other?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

WebDO posted:

I've played both and I would say that the sequel is a little worse than the original, but if you play the original and like it, it's definitely worth playing.

The sequel is pretty much the same as the original in concept, but they layer on some extra bits and pieces that don't really add anything to the game, so they end up feeling tacked on for the sake of doing something different.

Also, the game felt a lot easier than the original. Not sure if that's just being familiar with the original helping in picking classes, but fights in general seemed a lot shorter. Not sure if that's a positive or a negative, but there it is.

All that said, if you liked the first one, the second one is a solid pickup and definitely worth the time.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal

WebDO posted:

I played 2 when it was first released. It was obviously unfinished, and just ended abruptly with no fanfare, just a little message along the lines of "well, i guess that's it". The final battle didn't feel like the climax of the game either. Very underwhelming. Maybe they've finished it now? Doubtful.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Negrostrike posted:

Polytopia is such a great simplified Civilization game but is there a way to save my game so I can start another match without losing the other?

Nope. 3 player games only take about 30-40 minutes though, so unless you're in a perfect run game you might as well just quit and start new.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Speaking of KoPP, you guys might be interested to know there's another sequel coming out in July called Galaxy of Pen and Paper. Unlike KoPP2 it's done by the developers of the first game.

I'm still waiting for them to get Chroma Squad out to mobile though :mad:

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 29, 2017

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I played war of crown for about a day, not really that impressed. The pvp takes far too long than I would like to spend on a mobile game. I have a ton of good units from rerolling a ton.

That being said for a game that's been out for 6 months, monster Super League is really loving good if you are looking for something similar to summoners war.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Goon favorite Galaxy Trucker is $2.99, down from $4.99.

Also, Mystery Of Fortune 2 is free.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013

EzEight posted:

As a Summoner War like game its polished and as its a new game its great time to build an account.

Sorry which game are you talking about?

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
War of rose

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Okay, I think I like Gems of War enough to put some cash into it. It seems like everything, however, is a very temporary/consumable bonus. Is there some some sort of 5-10 dollar purchase that makes things slightly easier/more convenient in the long run? What few games I've played tend to have consumable purchases and also a single [Small permanent bonus to XP/Resource/Daily income].

Is there anything like that for Gems of War that I'm missing?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Got Dungeon Defense for free in the last hour or so of the deal period, it's good and I'll have to remember to toss $2 the dev's way when I have more survey money.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Morter posted:

Okay, I think I like Gems of War enough to put some cash into it. It seems like everything, however, is a very temporary/consumable bonus. Is there some some sort of 5-10 dollar purchase that makes things slightly easier/more convenient in the long run? What few games I've played tend to have consumable purchases and also a single [Small permanent bonus to XP/Resource/Daily income].

Is there anything like that for Gems of War that I'm missing?
I haven't played in a few months, but when I did, they had a VIP thing that gave you gold and glory points and something else that I'm forgetting. I don't have it currently installed, but I remember it making it easier to level up kingdoms.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Got Dungeon Defense for free in the last hour or so of the deal period, it's good and I'll have to remember to toss $2 the dev's way when I have more survey money.

I ended up uninstalling because it looked like the progression line turned it INTO an idle game after multiple hours? Somehow, mentally, that was worse than just aiming bullets at monsters manually.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Lone Goat posted:

I ended up uninstalling because it looked like the progression line turned it INTO an idle game after multiple hours? Somehow, mentally, that was worse than just aiming bullets at monsters manually.

One of the Ascension skills lets the AI take over player shooting? It should have been an option from the start to let the AI do that but the skeleton archer's ability to clean house and stragglers so far makes it feel fine. Of course I've also played idle games that have committed far greater and more frustrating design sins for longer so whatever. :shrug:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Navyfield is a garbage game that came out more than a decade ago which I also sank a decade of my life into. It featured: Awful grinding. lovely pay elements. Garbage balancing.

Now it got an Android game and boy does it not look really any better.
Any goons wanna play it with me?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Shiny Ski Resort is a really good Kairosoft game. Great, even. Yes there's a few microtransactions but they're mostly for cosmetic stuff. The only thing that would change the game is Fast Mode.

Their new tapjoy thing probably gives you enough, but if you finish the game you get a Wairo Coupon for normal and one for hard. I guess, and you can use those for fast mode.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I want to give a tentative thumbs up to Fantasy War Tactics R. It's a turn based fantasy battle game on a grid. The graphics are extremely sharp and well animated. The interface is clean and there are no ads. It has a large assortment of characters that are unlocked through progression and fragment collection rather than gatcha mechanics and they range from the typical anime waifus to a cyborg bear and a burly man in a French maid's outfit.

I did come in the middle of an event but I got a bunch of 5 star promotion tickets, an awakening ticket, and a ticket for a 6 star equipment set. It seems like every freemium game turns into a grind at some point but I've had a couple weeks of enjoyment out of this game and I'm still enjoying it without paying a cent which is more than I can say for most of the mobile games I try.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 1, 2017

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Fantasy War Tactics thread is here, there's two guilds available for joining. Also the gatcha mechanics is for Set Items instead of characters, they're super useful/important for end game stuff, and like Summoners War (and similar) you get 1+ through doing the Tower. It's about as generous as Summoners War for premium currency too, maybe a bit less but it's viable to do a 10x pull a month at least.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 1, 2017

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Oh sweet I didn't even know it had a thread.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Been playing Dungeon Defense since it was free a few days ago--I'm not usually one for idlers, and I guess this one has a little more action than most, but I can't stop playing. It's extremely repetitive, but that doesn't bother me as much as it does in some other games.

Question though--when you're enhancing weapons, what's Equalized Enchant, and how's that different than the default one?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

tonytheshoes posted:

Been playing Dungeon Defense since it was free a few days ago--I'm not usually one for idlers, and I guess this one has a little more action than most, but I can't stop playing. It's extremely repetitive, but that doesn't bother me as much as it does in some other games.

Question though--when you're enhancing weapons, what's Equalized Enchant, and how's that different than the default one?

Special or equalized? Equalized divides your remaining enchants among equipped weapons. Special supposedly links an item so that when you enchant other items, it gets enchanted too. Can't confirm that since I haven't unlocked it.

The game is neat in concept, but grindy as hell for something that was a paid app and that pops up a warning that the dev does not want you to pay for IAP (and even labels the tabs for IAP purchases "forbidden"). It looks like it opens up a lot later on, even adding a new currency and store to spend it in, but also that it would take weeks to months to get to that point.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

once you've maxed merc slots its pretty easy to just not attack during each battle. Your mercs should be good enough on the normal difficulty.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

Boozie posted:

Sorry which game are you talking about?

Gamevils new game War of the Crowns.

To put things simply as people compare it to Fantasy War Tactics R.

This is all my preferences, but I'm playing WOC because its new and its taken some key mechanics and polished it. When it comes to events and gatchas you're on the same starting line as others.

Characters.Rather than messing with the shard mechanics as is popular back in 2016.
You get a character and its future * level depends if you want to invest in it, increasing stars/rarity is done via evolution and the materials can be gotten as stage drops and from different element daily stages. Build a team hit auto and hit repeat at the end of the stage. No requiring a 5 unit to have to canibalize another 5* unit to evolve(cheap money grab).

The random aspect is that each character has 5 elements with different skill sets, so some element characters are better. This applies to 4* and above characters.
3* characters have the same skill set so pick an element you like and raise it.

Dupe characters can be fused to increase skill levels, for additional effects. Not percentages for upgrades aka Puzzle And Dragons- you upgrade and a number goes up.
Another method is to use skill upgrade units(Darknyan) that can be gotten from arena.

Equipment system. Its simple equip and a number goes up. Numbers and stats look simple enough to understand. Again there is no % based upgrade.

Gatcha system is standard 5* are the rarest to draw and are key backbone units if you can get it. But later on in the game they will lose out to max skill leveled 3* units that have been upgraded to 6*. All units can be upgraded to 6*.

If you do decide to give it a whirl keep in mind gold is not as scarce as you think, selling equipment is the fastest way to amass gold. Unequipping equipment cost crystal (a new seperate currency) its simple to get just sell junk units.

For the shop as in gems/garnets. If you spend money you can use garnets for more draws, buying energy/mandolins. You can buy unit space but you start with 70 space and equipment and unit spaces are undividual slots of their type which is a lot.

Overall its not going to be game of the year. Its still just another Tactics RPG and auto battle makes some questionable decisions along with a gacha system. But again new game, same starting line and they've taken existing mechanics on the market and polished it. There are a few text bugs but this released last week, so it should be patched soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
New Kairosoft: Home Run High, which looks to be a baseball take on Pocket League Story.