Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Breath Ray posted:

Is there a scheme to use private gardens because I have some space if so and I can let it for a fraction of the cost the council would

No reason why you couldn't advertise your garden to let in the back of the paper if you live somewhere where gardens are a premium.

If young people are made aware that allotments are no longer just for your grandad (much to the annoyance to a lot of grandads) then they will get involved, getting them when they are still in school is the absolute key. There is a well known story about the Brixton Riots, whole place was trashed and on fire apart from a small community garden with sunflowers in it that was left untouched. This is because everyone knew the kiddies from a local school had planted those sunflowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Maybe I'm being cynical but I can't see allotments catching on with young people.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

There was a big upsurge in young people using allotments down this way, up until they kept getting raided by the police who were acting on reports by concerned locals about youths acting suspiciously around the allotments. As far as I know not a single arrest was made because of these raids, but it did cause the youngsters to stop going.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gorn Myson posted:

And according to the Guardian, they've already spent £37.4m of public funds on this and they haven't even started building it.

Crikey. Imagine if you ran a racket that extortionate but weren't a member of the toff classes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You are being cynical pissflaps, I know it's a bit boring to harp on about this but you can trace the demographic by how hosed the economy is. When we are in hard times the demand for allotments amongst the young 'uns shoots up. During the miners strikes everyone, especially younger people with families, were fighting for allotment space. Problem is that councils have sold off a lot of community land to developers and we need to fight to claw more stuff back to meet the current demand. In most places the waiting list is over 2 years if you are very lucky.

It's a real tangible thing the left could be fighting for and actually win, it may seem like a little thing to white collar workers but it does make a huge difference to the poor and is a big thing in a lot of places. it seems a shame the left seems to think it's beneath them and are more interested in fighting each other over who should be in charge.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I looked into getting an allotment in the local patch when I lived in Leeds but the waiting list was two years or something.

e: oh right that's literally what you just posted sorry

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/28/tory-mp-steps-down-after-telling-pupils-homosexuality-is-wrong

quote:

A long-serving Conservative MP has said he will not stand in the general election, just hours after A-level students revealed he had told them that he believed “homosexuality is wrong” and “dangerous to society”.

lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Also notable for getting to ask a question at PMQs and using it to ask for better conditions for a tiger in a zoo on the Isle of Wight.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
This is all well and good but when is the Lib Dem leader stepping down over this.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jBrereton posted:

This is all well and good but when is the Lib Dem leader stepping down over this.

He's already said gay people aren't sinners what more do you want?

It just took him 2 years to do it because he was waiting back for a message from YHWH

PIGS BREXIT
Mar 29, 2017

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe I'm being cynical but I can't see allotments catching on with young people.

Because the supermarkets presently have food being delivered to them?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hey you got a new custom title but you hosed up and also changed your av for some reason?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GEgkQQgGdE

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Nah someone from the dota thread changed it to this lol

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

big scary monsters posted:

I looked into getting an allotment in the local patch when I lived in Leeds but the waiting list was two years or something.

e: oh right that's literally what you just posted sorry

A few years back my housemate got an allotment, not in leeds but nearby. He was a green voting, council mental health working morally perfect dude who once spent a whole week's worth of his free time trying to establish whether our inherited breadmaker could be a financially viable alternative to bought bread. He concluded, rather dejectedly, no.

Anyway, despite the waiting list ( I never properly established whether he jumped the queue due to his council contacts) he eventually got his allotment. He realised he had not the time, money, experience, tools or much else to make use of this small, apparently desirable patch of mud a mile or so from our house and so spent the next, i dunno, 18 months receiving threatening letters from the council telling him to make some vague use of the allotment or lose it.

I drove him and a borrowed hoe to the allotment and watched for a while as he mumbled to himself. We no longer talk much.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
This is your periodic reminder that Brexit is really happening, that the chances of crashing out of the EU with no transitional deal at all are quite high, and that this is a foreign policy fuckup of epic proportions that will impoverish everyone in the country for the rest of their lives. If you're young and unattached and in a position to leave this country for somewhere less self-harming, you should do so as soon as you can and in any case before 2019.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Well, the time has come. Tomorrow Labour focuses on Jeremy Corbyn's leadership, and attempts to contrast it with Theresa May.

Reading the article it sounds like they have a pretty good angle. Corbyn being on the right side of history plays well with BoJo's recent acknowledgement that the government can't say no to the US, and playing up the 'man of the people' bit comes right after May was caught out avoiding the public and filling her events with invited activists.

Meanwhile May is going to Scotland to say the same boring poo poo she's been saying everywhere else. Labour really have walked all over the Tories at campaigning, I'm pretty shocked. Even the fact that they have decisively picked one issue per day and trailed it to the media the night before is a welcome improvement.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Zephro posted:

This is your periodic reminder that Brexit is really happening, that the chances of crashing out of the EU with no transitional deal at all are quite high, and that this is a foreign policy fuckup of epic proportions that will impoverish everyone in the country for the rest of their lives. If you're young and unattached and in a position to leave this country for somewhere less self-harming, you should do so as soon as you can and in any case before 2019.

This is true. I moved after the referendum, but before Article 50.

Pros: New country, new language, something a bit different, might actually be able to buy a home here

Cons: No clue what's going to happen in 2 years' time. So it's a bit of a gamble.

But I suppose if we get deported back to the UK after we crash out, I might get to drive one of those tank buildings in the ensuing chaos.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

If you're young and unattached and in a position to leave this country for somewhere less self-harming, you should do so as soon as you can and in any case before 2019.
haha I'm going to die here.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Don't worry, I'll marry all you guys and we can start up a hipster cafe in Berlin, call it "Die Pissklappen"

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Zephro posted:

And if you are not well off enough to gently caress off and leave the rest of us to it, take learnincurve's advice and learn how to produce at least some of your own food*. It's not hard and can be fun. NotJustANumber99's mate baffles me - why even apply for an allotment if you know nothing of growing things and apparently are incapable of finding out what is easy to grow for a beginner? Presumably he'd never heard of this new fangled thing called the internet, loads of info right there in your hand.

Or develop useful skills to trade. Black market barter will boom.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Bobstar posted:

This is true. I moved after the referendum, but before Article 50.

Pros: New country, new language, something a bit different, might actually be able to buy a home here

Cons: No clue what's going to happen in 2 years' time. So it's a bit of a gamble.

But I suppose if we get deported back to the UK after we crash out, I might get to drive one of those tank buildings in the ensuing chaos.

What country, out of curiosity?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zephro posted:

Most of the world is either much worse than the UK or veering just as hard right into isolationism.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I built a deck over 80% of my garden because I hate all the things that were growing out there.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Pochoclo posted:

Don't worry, I'll marry all you guys and we can start up a hipster cafe in Berlin, call it "Die Pissklappen"

Is being fluent in German a requirement? Because I'd be down for this.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ronya posted:

2) it's Jacobin magazine and Matt Zarb-Cousin is a real person who exists, so I don't think this one's a trick

What's wrong with Jacobin? Do they have a sensationalist track record? -I have no experience with them so honestly asking.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

double nine posted:

What's wrong with Jacobin? Do they have a sensationalist track record? -I have no experience with them so honestly asking.

Some people consider them to be a closed bubble of post-grad intellectuals speaking to other post-grad intellectuals in post-grad intellectual language that's impenetrable to the regular person.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 28, 2017

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

sassassin posted:

I built a deck over 80% of my garden because I hate all the things that were growing out there.

It's okay, they hate you too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EmptyVessel posted:

Black market barter will boom.
In anarchist circles it's preferably called counter-economics.

In right-libertarian circles it's also called counter-economics but they all secretly dream of loving other people over so don't trade with them.

sassassin posted:

If you live in a terraced house where the sun goes up one long wall of the back yard then you can make some great vertical gardens for growing herbs or vegetables (or just decorative plants) out of wood and drainpipe offcuts. The footprint is like 10" from the wall if that, and there's less of the issues with managing land. Works well with decking or stones over the rest.

e:

Kokoro Wish posted:

Some people consider them to be a closed bubble of post-grad intellectuals speaking to other post-grad intellectuals in post-grad intellectual language that's impenetrable to the regular person.
Like a left-wing The Economist?

Speaking of such, new Zizek book out next week - The Courage of Hopelessless

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

And if you are not well off enough to gently caress off and leave the rest of us to it, take learnincurve's advice and learn how to produce at least some of your own food*. It's not hard and can be fun. NotJustANumber99's mate baffles me - why even apply for an allotment if you know nothing of growing things and apparently are incapable of finding out what is easy to grow for a beginner? Presumably he'd never heard of this new fangled thing called the internet, loads of info right there in your hand.

Or develop useful skills to trade. Black market barter will boom.

I didn't mean to be mean about my friend, as I said he was a much better guy than me and... even... he... struggled with it.

Turns out poorly paid council workers in pretty urban area, who don't own cars, or tools and so on, soon discover that an allotment is quite a commitment, time wise, financially and morally. He knew he was depriving someone else cos of the waiting list and wanted to be that guy that had and maintained an allotment and grew his own food and yet realistically he just couldn't do it. I mean I guess he could but not also be a twenty something trying to commit to a partner's non allotment needs, play cricket with his mates and so on.

I guess my point is the reason we have supermarkets and not an allotment each is because, despite our best hopes and dreams...well hope is a lie.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

In anarchist circles it's preferably called counter-economics.

But that loses the alliterative Bs.

We never called it gently caress all we just did it. Also, 'counter-economics' is a theory term not a practical label - "Hey, can I counter-economically exchange this rug for those beans?" Not feeling it.

E: Wiki tells me the term was defined as "The Counter-Economy is the sum of all non-aggressive Human Action which is forbidden by the State." by it's coiner which is a little wider than me giving you some apples for your beetroots (other exchanges are possible).

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 28, 2017

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pissflaps posted:

I think fruit picking is one area of works that ripe for automation.

Very drole. :) I sat through an interesting pitch by a company manufacturing the next generation of fruit picking machines and apparently there are particular fruits that are inherently extremely hard to pick with an automatic machine, for which there is no immediate technological solution in sight.

You're quite right that there is scope for increased automation, which immigration controls might make economically viable. It does impose a lot of site requirements though to allow the machines to traverse up and down, where humans are much better able to cope with dodgy ground etc.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
All you need is a spade and a rake and you can pick them up off a second hand market, or get them from the basic wilco range he could even eBay the bread maker and stretch to a hand trowel. I fail to see how a 20 something with a job who can afford the gear needed to play cricket can't afford to buy a spade, when miners who were getting literally no money could manage it. :psyduck:

Is it not more likely that an office worker looked at a bed of weeds and thought "gently caress that"?

(You don't need to clear the weeds if you are lazy, you go "no dig" and with that you just have to block out the light over winter using something like tarp, old carpet, or cardboard covered in the free manure you get at allotments and then start planting in the spring)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EmptyVessel posted:

But that loses the alliterative Bs.

We never called it gently caress all we just did it. Also, 'counter-economics' is a theory term not a practical label - "Hey, can I counter-economically exchange this rug for those beans?" Not feeling it.
Counter-economic commerce?

You wouldn't say "Hey, can I exchange this rug for those beans over the black market?" either, you'd say can I swap you or trade you or switch you or something.

quote:

E: Wiki tells me the term was defined as "The Counter-Economy is the sum of all non-aggressive Human Action which is forbidden by the State." by it's coiner which is a little wider than me giving you some apples for your beetroots (other exchanges are possible).
This is where the :anarchists:/:ancap: split over the term really begins.

One might call the land monopolist demanding rent to be aggressive, but the squat trading between themselves without declaring taxable income in kind to be non-aggressive. The other might call the child agreeing to work for the mine owner to be non-aggressive, and be huge wankers.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Counter-economic commerce?

You wouldn't say "Hey, can I exchange this rug for those beans over the black market?" either, you'd say can I swap you or trade you or switch you or something.

This is where the :anarchists:/:ancap: split over the term really begins.

One might call the land monopolist demanding rent to be aggressive, but the squat trading between themselves without declaring taxable income in kind to be non-aggressive. The other might call the child agreeing to work for the mine owner to be non-aggressive, and be huge wankers.

I might not have been totally serious there. But I don't think you need to introduce that detailed a label to do it or show the value in doing it.

Also from further into that Wiki entry:

"Voluntary practices of counter-economics include:
Arms trafficking
Bartering and alternative currency use
Being an illegal immigrant or hiring illegal immigrants
Drug trafficking
Mutual credit
Smuggling
Subsistence farming
Tax evasion
Prostitution"

Wait, arms trafficking is non-aggressive? I'm seeing the split. Something something self-defense I guess?

e: just noticed that list is alphabetical apart from Prostitution* which they sneak in at the end there.

*e2: this reminds me, just finished Cosey Fanni Tutti's autobiography, if you are at interested in the end of British 70s/80s counter-culture that produced Throbbing Gristle and industrial, or her singular approach to making art through pornography it's an excellent read.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 29, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The act itself is non-aggressive, even if what the recipient does with it isn't.

The split falls on whether you're trafficking arms to communist guerillas in a state taken over by a CIA right-wing puppet or uMkhonto weSizwe; or trafficking arms to ISIS or Thomas Mair.

e: Or even the super-amoral trafficking arms to people who announce in advance that they're going to kill you immediately after, which I'm sure someone like Rothbard has argued is good.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 29, 2017

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Is it not more likely that an office worker looked at a bed of weeds and thought "gently caress that"?

I mean, yeah? But that consideration was kind of part of the point I was not really very well making. Allotments are for old retired people because young people by and large just don't have it in them to bother.

Yeah, anecdotal. But my anecdotes are worth ten to twelve times everyone else's anecdotes. Keep that in mind.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

ronya posted:

LemonDrizzle alert, an interesting claim from an insider

remarkable confidence, even if true

Yeah people keep saying "just wait until you see the Tories drop all their opposition research on Corbyn" but I've never really been convinced that there's much out there that people don't already know about.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The act itself is non-aggressive, even if what the recipient does with it isn't.

The split falls on whether you're trafficking arms to communist guerillas in a state taken over by a CIA right-wing puppet or uMkhonto weSizwe; or trafficking arms to ISIS or Thomas Mair.

e: Or even the super-amoral trafficking arms to people who announce in advance that they're going to kill you immediately after, which I'm sure someone like Rothbard has argued is good.

Yeah, I knew a couple of people involved in arms. They were pretty hosed up, not sure these niceties would register to be honest.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Thank you for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Kokoro Wish posted:

a closed bubble of post-grad intellectuals speaking to other post-grad intellectuals in post-grad intellectual language that's impenetrable to the regular person.
Ronya.txt

• Locked thread