Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Junpei posted:

Well, I'll be darned. Wasn't there a portion named The Magic Flute (A Mozart composition) in German, as well?

That would be Die Zauberflöte, already in the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...man, I'm wondering how deep the rabbit hole goes here. Did LABO personnel deliberately allow all those fires to be set to see how people would react? How much of this has been in their control all along?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Fight Fire With Fire: 09/16/2030, 06:26

Jun followed through with her plans, first by enrolling in firefighting school. She graduated at the top of her class, above all the boys who were there. She probably had the talent for it to begin with. But becoming a member of Sirius was far more difficult than becoming a firefighter. As a result, Kazami, who had overcome many obstacles to become a rescue worker, was like an idol for the female firefighters of the Rokumei City Fire Department.

(So what if I'm a shrimp!? What matters is effort, guts, and spirit!)

She kept training every day to compensate for her small body. Her peers were astounded by how she worked herself to the bone. By the time she could bench press 90 kg, do 250 pushups, and run 1500 m in five minutes-- No more obstacles remained in her path. And thus the second female rescue worker in the Rokumei City Fire Department's history was born.

She then easily completed several dispatches, waiting for the opportunity to truly shine.

--September 16, early morning. Just when Jun's night shift was nearing its end--

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

''Explosions of unknown origin have occurred in the 6th Laboratory of Atomic and Biological Organization.'' And with that ominous report-- The curtain rose on the longest day of Jun's life.

They received their orders from their commander, and LABO's staff provided them with AD and Procyons. The group was split into two teams before they entered the facility-- Team A and Team B.

Countless people are trapped in this lab as we speak! And due to the nature of this facility, this will be no ordinary dispatch. We don't know what will happen here, nor what unforeseen circumstances await us.
... (Unforeseen circumstances...!)

Radiation exposure, radiation damage, and death-- those phrases all clouded her head. This was the first ''N disaster'' that Jun-- no, that the whole Rokumei City Fire Department-- had encountered. There was a possibility that a meltdown actually would happen.

(But I can't wuss out...! I have to protect Sis! C'mon, put some spirit into it, Jun!)

New orders from the commander and a map of floors 1 and 2 were sent to Jun just as she finished steeling her resolve.

...According to what the Commander has been able to learn so far, all the researchers in the basement have already evacuated. The only ones still trapped are on the surface floors. That's where we will conduct rescue efforts.
Yes sir!
Form two-man cells! Tachibana, you're with Moribe! Dojima, you're with Hiyama! Make sure to keep in constant contact with Team B! Don't forget this! All right, get to work, people!
Sir, yes sir!

Jun ran off with Kazami. They were equipped with the minimum gear necessary-- air tanks, a rope, and an engine cutter. --The search of the surface floors went smoothly. There were no signs of fire on floors 1 and 2, so the evacuation of the survivors was smoothly completed.

That means we're all done with our search territory, right!?
Yes. Let's head back to the command post.
Roger!

So they planned to go back to the command post to Check if they were all right... but then Kazami suddenly came to a halt.

...!?
What's wrong, Lieutenant?
I thought I just heard someone's voice...

Kazami looked down the stairs. It went down to the basement floors.

(But didn't they say they already finished evacuating the basement?)

Just as she thought that-- Kazami gasped.

Ah!

Jun then heard a voice coming from the basement.

???: Hey, you! Over here, over here!
(!?)

For a moment, Jun couldn't help but feel she'd heard that voice somewhere before. They then heard footsteps running off somewhere.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Wh-what was that!?
I don't know! It appears to have come from the basement...!
Huh!?

That was odd. There wasn't supposed to be anyone down there according to the commander.

(Did some people go down to the basement after the fire broke out!? Why!? Why would they do that!? To get some top-secret data or something!?)

She didn't know why they would go down after the fire or why they would run away from them. But one thing was absolutely clear--

Moribe! There are still people in the basement!
Khh... l-let's go, Lieutenant!

Though neither of them had a clue what was going on, they both headed down to the basement.

No one's here!? Why!?
Let's look for them! They couldn't have gotten far!

Jun and Kazami ran through Area 2, looking for the survivors. --But they were nowhere to be seen. They tried looking in Area 1 too, but no one was there.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Lieutenant, there's another fire here!
Wait, Moribe! It's too much for you to handle by yourself!
But we've gotta put out this fire first or we're in trouble!

Jun took a fire hose and stood before the hallway--

Jun, look out!

--Kazami saved Jun in the nick of time. But their protection suits were damaged in the process, rendering them unusable. Despite that setback, they just removed the suits and continued the search as they fought fires. All while fearing the meltdown that could happen any moment.

Yes!

Jun and Kazami then returned to Area 2-- just as an ominous siren suddenly bellowed.

Wh-what's happening!?

The loud alarm was accompanied by an automatic PA announcement.

Automatic PA: --A 'Case N' has just been detected. In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Looking down all gates and bulkheads. All facility personnel, please administer AD, take shelter in the nearest room, and stay in place.

Jun looked at the connecting passageway in shock.

--It can't be!

Kazami ran up to the gate and tried opening it. But no matter how much she tried to use the opening mechanism or how much strength she used, the gate wouldn't budge.

This is horrible...!
Wh-what's going on!?
I do not know why, but it appears 'Evacuation Mode' has ended... All of the gates that were open up until this point are now locked.
Th-then that means...!
Yes. It seems we have been trapped inside this block...!

Jun started shuddering at Kazami's statement.

T-trapped...!? Wh-what are we gonna do!?
What, you ask? We only have one choice. We continue with the search. There's a high probability that the survivors have also been trapped.
...!
Once we've concluded the search, we shall secure an escape route. Actually, wait, we have to find a security card before we can do that. There is much we have to do. We do not have time to be standing around.
I-I know, but... How can you be so calm...!? Don't you realize we're stuck in the basement of a nuclear research facility without protection suits!?
I am calm precisely because panicking will not change our situation for the better. You must keep a cool head in any situation to accomplish all necessary tasks at hand. Also... you'd get scared if I panicked, right?
--

Jun gasped at how simply Kazami had seen through her. The lieutenant then continued in a teasing voice.

It's because you are still a greenhorn. The team would fall apart if I were unable to uphold my dignity as a veteran.
H-hey! Don't treat me like a kid! I'm not scared at all!
Are you sure about that?
Hell yes I am. I'm a member of Sirius too, y'know!

Kazami smiled at Jun's words.

...Good, keep up that attitude and you'll be fine. Well, if anything -were- to happen, I'd protect you, so don't worry.
...That's my line! So let's work together, rescue the survivors... then find a way out for sure, okay?

Jun and Kazami exchanged a firm handshake. They then walked off with strength in their step. --Jun and Kazami found two Level 2 security cards after that. They used those to search for an escape route and survivors as they put out the fires in the facility. But they weren't able to find either. And just as they were about to finish searching Areas 2 and 1--

Is that the Captain!?

They found Watase lying in a hallway in Area 1. The three rescue workers then began their long and arduous battle through the facility...

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

A floral scent suddenly wafted in from somewhere.

(The floral scent...! The memories after this point were tampered with!)
{Ms. Jun should go back to normal if you repair those memories!}
(Yeah!)

Natsuhiko agreed, resuming memory access. His search criterion was-- ''floral-scented memories''.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Normally Natsuhiko would have a problem with this since Kazami always smells of flowers but fortunately right now she smells of burnt flowers :v:

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

EponymousMrYar posted:

Normally Natsuhiko would have a problem with this since Kazami always smells of flowers but fortunately right now she smells of burnt flowers :v:

inb4 every one of Kazami's memories is floral scented.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Dark Side of the Moon: A: 09/16/2030, 09:30

The group rescued ''Yuuri'', a civilian who'd been caught up in the accident... but Watase had lost his memories. Jun hadn't especially liked him since he was always blunt and cold, but she was worried about him this one time. --Be that as it were, they reformed the team and continued the search.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

But she grew very angry after she was told about the situation and started harping on the group.

We can't figure out why it happened either...!
Then why don't you just destroy the drat thing with some sort of special equipment or something!?
We've tried everything we can! But not even our engine cutter could make a dent in that thing!
We can't destroy the bulkhead with any of the equipment we have on hand.
Hmph! I never thought a rescue squad could be this useless!

So this is the other part where you actually like need to do something apart from setting everything high. This and the next chapter.

It's true that -we- can't destroy it with our equipment-- but the workers on the surface should have explosives with them. So it's only a matter of time before that bulkhead is destroyed and reinforcements come. So please try to understand for now.
...I see, then I guess there's nothing you can do about it.

The woman let out an exasperated sigh.

Huh?
How about being a little more thankful we saved you?
Oh my, whatever do you mean? Isn't saving lives what we pay you people for? It's only a given that you're supposed to save people on the job.

Unable to sit back and let her continue berating them, Jun planned to give the woman a warning, but Kazami held her back.

More importantly, we need to give her some AD.
Oh, you're right! She'll be in big trouble without it!
AD? What's that?
Well you see, it's--

She also told her about the radiation filling the facility, the danger standards, and the Procyon. The woman's attitude took a complete 180 after she'd heard all that.

R-radiation...!?
That's correct. Furthermore, subjective symptoms of radiation damage easily appear in the internal organs, skin, and eyes. Are you experiencing any nausea, skin pain, or blurry vision?
No, I think I'm feeling okay...
Good. Then you'll be fine as long as we give you some AD now.
But you'd better do it quick, you hear? If you don't, then you won't be around to keep telling us off like that.
O... okay. Then all l have to do is inject myself with this?
Righto, now that's better.

She wasn't thrilled by the woman's attitude, but Jun decided to let it go for now. She felt that it was her natural duty as a rescue worker.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Dark Side of the Moon: B: 09/16/2030, 09:54

As a result, they focused their efforts on rescuing them. With limited AD, rising radiation levels, and no escape route in sight, the situation was extremely harsh.

So, here, we have to reverse what we did last time. I suppose this is one place where the RAM system might actually trip you up, though it's pretty blatant in telling you that you hosed up and how not to gently caress up.

Yet someone disrupted that teamwork.

And that someone was none other than Ena. Jun had called the search to a halt when she'd spotted smoke filling the outer ring, only to get another earful from Ena.

You're a civilian! What right do you have to get so high-and-mighty!?
I may be a civilian, but you're just a rookie, right? That's not much better.

(But as a rescue worker, I just can't accept that!)

Watase, Kazami, and Yuuri came running over just as Jun thought that.

Wh-what happened!?
Moribe, what's all this commotion about!?
Ah, Lieutenant! There's smoke in the outer ring up ahead. Looks like there's traces of a fire there. But we don't know where the fire's coming from since there's a ton of rooms, so I was telling Ms. Tsubakiyama and Mr. Ukita to wait somewhere safe, but--
Don't be an idiot! If there's traces of a fire, then that's all the more reason why we should -all- be searching!

Ena started yelling again.

Do you want to die?
Huh...?
If you don't want to die, then please stop complaining and listen to us.

But she was rendered silent by Kazami's blunt words.

...I-I just wanted to help...
And I truly am grateful for that. I apologize for being harsh on you. But you can't take even the smallest of fires lightly. Please trust our judgment when it comes to disaster sites. Our mission is to ensure that everyone gets out of here in one piece. So please--

Not even Ena could resist caving in to Kazami's kind yet firm appeal.

All right... then I'll leave it up to the professionals.

Jun was impressed.

(That's Sis for you... She managed to persuade Ms. Tsubakiyama so calmly in less than a minute. I should follow her example.)

She resolved to deal with these situations more like Kazami in the future.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Dark Side of the Moon: C: 09/16/2030, 11:20

(I hope we can regroup with Dojima and Hiyama as soon as possible.)

She would feel much more at ease if they were able to rendezvous with Dojima and Hiyama, her two coworkers. But when they finally found Dojima--

...The tragic sight of that room had done a serious blow to Jun, Watase, and Kazami's willpower. But they were still short on AD, and time was wasting away by the second. So they overcame their comrade's death and continued the search. They managed to make their way through a gas-filled zone and turned on the sprinkler system. Jun and the others decided to take a short break in the little time they had from then until the system finished its job and the gas had ventilated...

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

My fingertips are a bit numb... but I'm fine.
I think I'll be all right after a little rest, myself.

So now we're back to business as usual. However, I feel that I should mention something here. The altered version of this scene is *amazing*. I'm not going to show you yet, but you'll see when we come back for completion. It will be absolutely amazing.

...But we can't relax.

Watase glanced at his Procyon and said that.

Look, it's '3090 mSv' right now... Seems like it won't be long until it passes the first danger standard of '4000 mSv'.
I hope Mr. Tenkawa and the others have some AD, but...!

Oh yeah, that's right, you said you were acquainted with those high schoolers, right?
Yeah, though we only talked, like, twice or so...
So they're basically strangers then.
But that doesn't mean I'm not worried about them.
I see... that's probably because you're not that much older than they are. You're nice, Moribe.

(She's worrying about her students first even though she's also in danger... She may be harsh and too critical... but she really is a teacher, huh?)

Jun felt like she could understand Ena's heartfelt concern for Natsuhiko and her other students.

(B-but we've been fighting with each other so much... so it's kinda awkward to admit that...)

Jun struggled with her conflicting emotions, but Watase spoke up first.

Teach, don't panic. The fact that we've seen empty medical boxes and AD means that there's a high chance they found some too.
(Ooh, nice support, Captain!)

Jun decided to quickly follow suit.

H-he's right, Ms. Tsubakiyama... rushing things will only lead to more danger. Let's just rest now while we still can.
Mmm... good point.
Ms. Tsubakiyama... this has all been really harsh on you, has it not?
To be honest, yeah, in it's own way. I've gotten tired from running around from place to place... ...Oh geez, why the hell did all this happen...!? Everything was totally normal until yesterday, but I guess it's true when they say no one knows what the future holds...

Ena said that in a choked voice. Jun felt sympathy welling inside her.

(All right, this is where I've gotta play it cool and act like a rescue worker.) C'mon Ms. Tsubakiyama, let's stop being all gloom and doom here. We'll get you and your students outta here safely, just you wait.
Ah... I'm sorry, it looks like I let everything get to me for a second there...
S-stop, don't jinx us all like that!
You mustn't say that. Showing weakness will only double the danger.
Got that right. I'll be damned if I let a single person die here.
...You three sure are strong. ...I'm sorry for having been so rude to you up until now. You guys really are a fine rescue squad... Compared to you, all I'm good at is being all talk and no action with nothing to back it up...
Huh? Oh, uh... it's fine, don't worry about it.
But... I'll try to make sure I do as you all say from now on.

Ena smiled apologetically. That smile alone made Jun want to forgive her for everything she'd said up until now.

(... Yeah, Ms. Tsubakiyama may be a bit full of herself, but when you get down to it, she's just a ''civilian''... I can let a little selfishness slide.)

Jun decided to switch to that way of thinking. She had a creed about letting the minor details go and treating those who were cooperative with kindness.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Dark Side of the Moon: D: 09/16/2030, 11:31

They continued to search the facility for the survivors that were almost certainly there. But then, as if to crush those hopes--

♪ BGM: Abyss

It's too late... he's already... dead.
No... no...
Hiyama, not you too...!

...Dying in the line of duty is an unavoidable risk in this line of work.
But Tachibana...
Please don't say anything, Captain. We can save our grief for after we've rescued the survivors and gotten outside.

Kazami's noble words just served to pierce through Jun's heart.

You have to do the same, Moribe...
But... today was the first time... I've ever lost a coworker on the job...

And once again, back to everybody high.

I know. But you have to hold your head high. You discarded your womanhood when you joined Sirius. Remember that.
But... Sis...!

Jun said that in a frail voice like that of a normal girl.

(Why is everyone around me dying...!?)

Huh...? C-Captain, what're you doing!?
Don't worry about that. Just listen to me. I know it must be hard for you to have lost two squadmates. I don't even have memories, and it's hard on me too. I know you're scared. No matter what, you're still a girl.

The radiation levels throughout the whole facility were already past 3000 mSv.

In the first place, they didn't even have enough AD at the moment.

(Everyone here could die...! I'm gonna be broken down to my genes too... all battered and dead in this dark basement!)

Just as Jun thought that--

Tachibana, Moribe... can I have a minute?

Watase suddenly spoke up.

Huh?
We're changing leaders. I'll lead the group from this point onwards.
C-Captain...?
I'll be the leader for now until you've both calmed down. Let me shoulder all the weight you've been carrying so far.
Didn't you hear me? Then let me make it an order-- as Sirius' captain. As of this point onwards, Lieutenant Kazami Tachibana and Ensign Jun Moribe will hereby defer to Captain Watase Kasasagi's command!

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

!!

Jun and Kazami's bodies shook at those words. It was like Watase was back to being the man he was before he lost his memories.

Now let me hear you say it!

Jun and Kazami instinctively clicked their heels and replied in response to that command.

Sir! Lieutenant Kazami Tachibana deferring to Captain Watase Kasasagi's command, sir!
E-Ensign Jun Moribe deferring to Captain's command, sir!
Good!

Watase gave a broad grin, then continued.

...And there you have it. Well, that was mainly for formality's sake-- I'm still counting on you both to basically keep things running the way they've been so far.
Y-yes... please.
Good. Then now that we've finally got our hands on a Level 6 card, let's use it to press onwards. ...Hiyama left that card for us. We can't let it go to waste.

''Hiyama left that card for us''-- those words reignited Jun's spirit. She managed to recover just as she was about to fall off the brink of despair.

You're right... we can't keep staying down in the dumps forever. The fires are out and we've got a card, so now we can now go all the way to Area 6. We have nothing to fear!
Yeah, that's the spirit!

Watase grinned and patted Jun on the shoulder. She could feel the strength and warmth of his hand though that gesture.

(That's right... we're still alive. Which means we've gotta do everything in our power... to survive!)

Jun looked at Hiyama's body. His legs had been broken, he'd caught on fire, and he most likely had spent his last moments in utter despair, but despite all that, he'd still tried to survive. He would never come back. But he had left their group the key they needed to keep moving forward. In that key lay what was most certainly the will of someone who had lived to their fullest. Those who had been entrusted with that will would accept it and carry it with them for the rest of their lives. Much like how it was Nagisa's existence that had brought Kazami and Jun to where they were now.

(Thanks, Captain. And thank you too, Hiyama... I'm still alive, and will do everything I can to survive until the bitter end.)

Thus-- she would use her life to accomplish what had to be done: Saving human lives.

(That's right... that's the whole reason I came here, after all.)

Jun clenched her hands into tight fists when she thought that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Crossroads

(...Will this be enough to bring Jun back to normal...?)

But there was still one other thing he had to do first: Erase the phantom Subject N that was nesting in Jun's brain--

(She's probably just up ahead. Around that memory of finding Subject N's body by the cargo lift...!)

Alrighty then.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Can't wait to see how Natsuhiko gets easily duped yet again.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

TheMcD posted:

So now we're back to business as usual. However, I feel that I should mention something here. The altered version of this scene is *amazing*. I'm not going to show you yet, but you'll see when we come back for completion. It will be absolutely amazing.

Oh good I was going to mention this if you weren't. It's 100% true.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

CirclMastr posted:

The corpse is not N's corpse it's your corpse ah hah hah hah hah!

Kinda hoping something different happens because even with the whole Senses Sympathy bleed-through explanation it'll be the third time it's happened.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Subject N isn't much but a ball of hate at this point, are they?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CirclMastr posted:

"OK, this time I am for real not going to let my guard down around her."

"Whoa, I made the mistake of letting her talk at all and she almost got me! How does this keep happening?!"

(I really don't get why he doesn't erase N the instant he finds her, other than the usual Natsuhikoing.)

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

quote:

Much like how it was Nagisa's existence that had brought Kazami and Jun to where they were now.
Yeah... uh... that's for sure. :smith:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

asymmetrical posted:

Yeah... uh... that's for sure. :smith:

Hey at least they didn't make Kazami live with a hallucination

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Sympathy for the Devil: 09/16/2030, 12:15

and finally, when she watched them force open the gate to the cargo lift with a crane.

(Yes, this is it... this is where that memory is...!)

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Yeah, we're counting on you.
Yep, just leave it to me--

Jun went through the opening in high spirits. But on the other side of the gate--

...all they'd found there was the unidentified body of a girl.

(This is when Jun was infected with malice...! Then shouldn't that girl be showing up any second now!? A remnant of Subject N's spirit must be here!)

Natsuhiko spoke to the corpse.

Now come on out... I'll erase your malice from Jun!

When Natsuhiko shouted that--

???: --You come to kill me?

Subject N answered.

(...!)

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

Natsuhiko looked back at her, then replied.

...No, not to kill. I'm just repairing these memories back to their original state.
Wrong. What you're doing sure as hell ain't repairing, bro. And what the hell do you mean by their 'original state' anyway? Aren't you just deluding yourself to believe that? You're just distorting these memories and rebuilding them as you see fit... If that's your idea of repairing, then that's hilarious.
...Well, maybe it's exactly as you say. But if I leave you alone, people will really die. I'm not talking about this mental world here. I mean the real world. I can't just let that slide. Not a chance.
So you're killing in the name of justice, huh? Wow, looks like we got a bona-fide hero here. My body is long dead. And you erased the traces of myself that I left in Jun's memories. You're annihilating me. No matter how you try to sugarcoat it, in the end, it's still murder. You even do it without a moment's hesitation. You've got the makings of a killer, bro. ...Just like Jun.

Those words sent a shock through Natsuhiko's mind.

Just like Jun...!? You're telling me that Jun... has the makings of a killer too, and not just me!?
Well, duh? You just now picking up on that?

Subject N snorted.

Hey, you ever heard the phrase 'kill one to save a thousand'? Jun hates that phrase.
Where's this coming from?
The full way of thinking is 'if killing one will end up saving many in exchange, you should do it'. Though she hates it, that's exactly the path Jun chose. You heard her earlier, didn't you, bro?

At that moment, Subject N's voice turned into Jun's.

Listen! It's too late to act once someone's been killed! The dead are never coming back! It's not like I wanna do this either, dammit! But if the alternative is to regret the loss of another victim-- I'd rather take this guy down myself, even if his blood on my hands means I'll never work with Sirius again!
...!
...The only thing this girl has is 'saving people'. She believes it's fine to hurt others if it means getting that done. It looks like a paradox, but it all checks out. You've seen enough of her mind so far that you catch what I'm saying, right bro? Jun's a weak girl. She's a bundle of complexes which make her push herself to the point of recklessness. She's also real dependent on others. She's always chasing after someone, whether it's Nagisa, Sis, or the Captain. Relying on others and being relied on is the only way she can find any sense of value in herself. And she hates just how drat weak she is. That self-loathing turns into aggression towards others. She jumps way too easily at the idea of 'protecting Iives' just 'cause it's a just cause.
You know what happened to Jun after I altered her memories? She got so drat obsessed with saving everyone's lives that she grew willing to slaughter anyone suspicious.

The scene in front of them changed the moment Subject N said that.

Jun was walking through a connecting passageway while cursing under her breath.

Where the hell... is that bastard...!? (... That bastard hit me on the head from behind...!) I see... so that really was it all along... (It wasn't the Captain. Mr. Ukita was the culprit...) Then... I have no choice... (If he stole the AD-- then I gotta do something.) I gotta do it or I can't protect anyone... I gotta kill that son of a bitch... (I gotta do it if I wanna save everyone...) I gotta bite the bullet and go through with it...!

Get it now, bro? Jun wanted to kill Mr. Ukita after he attacked her.
Shut up...!
I didn' t alter that memory. Jun said those things for a 'fact'. She knew the AD had vanished and thought everyone's lives were at stake... but snapping like that? A little over the top, don'tcha think? She doubted the Captain too, remember? Then she even doubted you guys after all her efforts to keep you safe... Man, talk about putting the cart before the horse. She called Mr. Ukita a weak person, but the real weakling here was obviously J--
I told you to shut up!

Natsuhiko interrupted Subject N.

You know nothing about Jun...! She wanted to be a hero! Not a hero that beat up bad guys, but one that saved people! ...Do you even know how much blame she put on herself? Do you realize just how much it mentally traumatized her to be unable to save her friend? But she endured that trauma, faced her weaknesses, and overcame them... And that made her strong!

Subject N's face warped slightly at those words.

...Of course I knew that much. Because I'm Jun, and Jun is me.
Then why are you pouring salt in her wounds!? Shouldn't you at least understand that Jun's mind isn't in the right place anymore!? And also-- that you're the one who made her this way!
...! Hmm... so you're saying that I'm possessing Jun? That it's not just the memory alteration causing this?
It's not exactly what you'd call possession... But you used BC on Jun. BC isn't just the power to convey words and memories to others-- but 'feelings' too. Things that can't be expressed in words, memories that can't be imagined-- and your vast malice. All of those feelings are now in Jun's brain as information energy... And once she took them in, Jun ceased to be her normal self.
...Hmph, now ain't that sentimental? 'The life of the dead is retained in the memory of the living' and all that jazz?
Yeah... the fact that you're talking with me is proof that you actually exist here. Much like how that Nagisa girl still lives on in Jun's memory...
...Don't you dare say that name.

Subject N glared at Natsuhiko.

That girl pisses me off. That bitch died nine years ago, yet she still remains in Jun's mind...!
...Did you want to live on in Jun's mind too?
No poo poo, Sherlock. We want to connect with others' hearts and minds, leaving our thoughts and feelings behind within them... That's what we Communicators desire above all else.
...I see. Maybe you're right. But... Jun just can't be herself as long as you're still here in her mind. ...I have to erase you.

Subject N gave a resigned laugh when she heard that.

...Ha, so in the end, you're still erasing me. You have the 'kill one to save a thousand' mentality too.
It's nothing as impressive as that... It's for my own selfish reasons.
Well that's just nasty. That makes you no better than someone who kills for fun. No, it's kinda odd in hindsight, but maybe that's just what it is to be a hero.

It was getting too painful for Natsuhiko to keep on listening to her. He heard Yuuri's voice echo in the corners of his mind.

{... Hikorin, it's time... You have to erase her. If she's an incarnation of Ms. Jun, then she isn't saying those words because she wants to...)
(Yeah... I know.)

Subject N probably regretted her own actions and longed to be erased. So she had been egging Natsuhiko on the whole time to goad him into finishing the job. --Natsuhiko had to justify his actions that way or else he couldn't bring himself to carry out his duty.

...I'm going to kill you, Subject N.

She smiled at those words.

Just hurry up and get it over with already, hero. Then live a long life suffering from the guilt.
Yeah... I'll live with it until the day I die.

Natsuhiko erased Subject N from Jun's mind.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ena Tsubakiyama: 09/16/2030, 16:52

----
--

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

The first thing Natsuhiko saw... was Jun, slowly falling down with the engine cutter still in hand.

Jun!

Natsuhiko promptly caught Jun by her hand. An intense shock ran through his body and pain ran through his wounds-- and yet he still did not let go. But his body wasn't the only thing in pain.

Ghh...!

Pain ran through his head again just like what happened when he had erased the Subject N inside of Ukita.

The pain and discomfort were clearly more intense this time.

H-Hikorin? Don't tell me it's happening ag--

Yuuri raised her voice when she noticed something wrong with Natsuhiko-- but he promptly replied with telepathy.

{Yuuri, please don't bring that up now!}
!?
{Just as I feared, it looks like my brain takes damage each time I come in contact with Subject N. But please don't say that out loud here. It'll just make everyone worry. It won't improve our fortunes at all. So please, let's keep this a secret.}

Yuuri looked at Natsuhiko in worry... but she eventually replied with telepathy.

{... Okay. But... please, don't force yourself...}

Natsuhiko nodded at those words.

He appreciated the sentiment, but there was no way he could take Yuuri up on those words. No matter how much damage his brain took, he had to keep fighting Subject N until everyone was free from malice. In the same way that Watase had tried to save everyone no matter how much damage his body took.

(Will my brain crumble first, or will I erase all of Subject N's malice first...? It's a battle of wits.)

A smile of bravado formed on Natsuhiko's lips. Ena and Ukita called out to him as he waited for his headache to subside.

...What's wrong, Mr. Tenkawa?
D-do your wounds hurt?
Yeah, a little... but Jun's more important now. Jun, are you okay? Jun?

After Natsuhiko called her name, Jun eventually groaned.

...Mmm.

With vacant eyes, Jun looked at each person in the shelter one by one-- And then, as if realizing something, she gasped.

Wh... what have I done...?
Jun, are you fully conscious now?
Y-yeah... but... That's odd... I was completely bonkers just a moment ago, wasn't I? Did I just suddenly go back to normal or something...?

Natsuhiko was relieved to hear those words from Jun.

That's fine, then. The you right now is the original you.
The original me...?
Long story short, there's something in this facility that's caused people to become aggressive and paranoid, much like you were until just now...
Huh... Why's that?

She had the power to change the minds of those around her into ones full of malice. And because of that, everyone inside the facility went crazy.
No way... BC has that sort of power...?
It does. Though do I realize how unbelievable it is.

Jun looked a bit dubious for a while, but--

...Judging by what happened to me, I guess I have to believe it, huh... Wait, did Mr. Ukita go crazy for the same reason?
Yeah... But having said that, I don't expect you to forgive me for attacking you.

Ukita and Jun looked at each other awkwardly. A little while later, Jun politely bowed her head.

No... I should be the one to apologize. I chased you around with an engine cutter and said extremely rude things...
No, it's okay... I deserved at least that much disparagement.

It seemed that the discord between the two of them was settled for now. Ena took a deep breath and whispered to Natsuhiko.

Thanks for trusting me, Mr. Tenkawa. Looks like you were able to tie things up.
No... it's all thanks to you, Professor.
It was a really big help that you weren't infected with malice, Ms. Ena.

Natsuhiko and Yuuri bowed their heads in gratitude.

Don't be foolish, you two. It's too early to celebrate, you know?
...Huh?
Judging by what we saw of Ms. Moribe, those infected with malice aren't aware of it themselves, right? In that case, you can't be entirely sure that I'm not infected with malice, can you?
!?

Once Natsuhiko heard that, he promptly stood between Ena and Yuuri. But Ena just placed her gun on the floor and spoke with a smile.

Don't panic. I'm probably not infected. But I still want you to check my mind just in case.
You're serious? You're telling us to peek into your mind even though there's not a shred of evidence that you've been infected with malice?

He certainly felt guilty about doing something like that. But Ena tried to persuade him.

Mr. Tenkawa, I understand why you don't like the idea. You've never liked the idea of using BC abilities in the first place, have you?
Huh...?
The reason you've been unable to manifest you BC abilities despite your Rank S Aptitude is because you've been rejecting them yourself. You've avoided trespassing into other people's minds this whole time, haven't you?
...I have.

Now that he thought about it, Ena was exactly right. The manifestation of BC abilities was greatly affected by the user's ''will''. And that was why Natsuhiko's BC abilities had never flourished.

But listen, Mr. Tenkawa. Now you can use BC at will. And that's because you believe that you need it right now.
But... I don't believe that I need to peek into your mind now, Professor.
No, you do. That's the only way I can completely gain your trust. After all, you and the others see me as suspicious, don't you?

Ena smiled wryly as Natsuhiko found himself at a loss for an answer.

It's only natural. I've closed my heart to everybody and said nothing but lies. So much so that nothing I say really carries any weight anymore... If you peek into my mind, I believe you'll be able to understand all of the thoughts behind my actions.

Ena placed her hand on Natsuhiko's shoulder.

...Memories don't tell lies. So dive into my mind and experience my life vicariously through them. I'm sure that you'll come to trust me if you do...

Indeed, that probably would help them understand her feelings.

So once again, we have the question of ''do we want to look into more memories or less memories'' and once again, we're giving the answer of ''more memories''.

(But what should I do...? If I do go through with memory access, how exactly do I go about it?)

What he needed to confirm was ''Ena's true identity'' and ''what motivated her to mobilize in LABO today'', as well as ''whether or not she was infected with malice''.

(Should I look in detail, or just do a quick check...? I think it's best to keep exposure of other people's minds to a minimum, but...)

That's what he thought for a second, but then another thought suddenly welled up in his gut.

(No... I really should learn about Prof. Tsubakiyama in detail. That seems to be what she wants too, after all...)

And with that thought in mind, Natsuhiko declared to Ena.

Understood... If you insist, I shall go ahead and peek through your memory, Professor. Please allow me to experience your life.

And as Natsuhiko said that, Yuuri nodded beside him.

Please allow me to do so as well. I want to believe you from the bottom of my heart, Professor...

Those words brought a gentle smile to the teacher's face.

...Thanks, you two. I'll open my heart for real this time... And remember, what you see in my head is the truth of this country.

And as Ena gave them that veiled warning, the kids walked up to her-- --and activated Senses Sympathy.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 29, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

The reason you've been unable to manifest you BC abilities despite your Rank 8 Aptitude is because you've been rejecting them yourself. You've avoided trespassing into other people's minds this whole time, haven't you?

Rank 8 Aptitude, the ultimate beyond Rank S.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

Rank 8 Aptitude, the ultimate beyond Rank S.

Would you believe the OCR does that constantly? That has to be the #1 thing I have to correct next to it randomly Capitalizing words that start with C.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

TheMcD posted:

...Memories don't tell lies.
Except for the part where they're apparently very easily altered and erased! Not to mention the subjectivity of the human brain when it records and stores information! How oddly sentimental for a game that spent so much time elaborating on the pseudo-science behind BC.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

asymmetrical posted:

Except for the part where they're apparently very easily altered and erased! Not to mention the subjectivity of the human brain when it records and stores information! How oddly sentimental for a game that spent so much time elaborating on the pseudo-science behind BC.

To be fair, they are "very easily altered and erased" by an incredibly elite group of Communicators, the number of which you can probably count on two hands. Think about LABO - they had Subject A, Subject N, Subject Y-II, and Special Observation Target Na2 under their wing over all this time BC has been known. If they could have gotten their hands on another Senses Sympathy user, they'd have done so, and they seem to have a pretty good ability to get their hands on subjects. Not to mention two out of those four are the result of a freak accident unexpectedly giving them the ability to use Senses Sympathy.

Still, yeah, it is kinda odd. Natsuhiko and Phantom Yuuri had a whole bit about memories being ambiguous during Route Before.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I feel it's pertinent that this is Teach saying this and thus you can weave up a whole myriad of reasons why she's saying it (even when trying to tell the truth she can't help lie because habit/SECRET SERVICE TRAINING etc.) aside from taking it as gospel since the ambiguity of memories was already covered.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Song for my Father: 04/04/2014, 13:28

Back when Ena was still 8 years old-- She was strolling around town with the father she loved.

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

Tips posted:

TIP: Parapsychology Research Center
Category: Fiction

More specifically, the Rokumei City Parapsychology Research Center. Rokumei City's facility for BC research. Also called the PRC for short.

In the past, the PRC produced many remarkable research results at the hands of those like Miyoko Tenkawa and Jin Tsubakiyama, but with the completion of LABO, most of the PRC's equipment and documents were secretly relocated. The PRC currently only functions as a front to hide the truth that LABO is currently the real BC research facility.

That said, anyone who has the opportunity to see inside the PRC, even non-specialists, would be able to realize that it is not a cutting-edge research facility at all. When Ena took Rokumei Academy Class 1-B to the PRC, part of her motivation was to take full advantage of her position as a teacher to inspect and reconfirm the current state of the PRC. It is also easy to imagine that she felt a little happy to see the workplace of her deceased father.

Full disclosure, the tip said ''diseased father'', but we know that's not correct. We know her father died in the Rokumei City Arson.

Ena: Wow, it's such a pretty building!

Ena's father took her to his workplace. He gently responded to her innocent voice.

Mr. Tsubakiyama: It's called the Parapsychology Research Center. It's a somewhat odd facility that's been studying things like ESP for along time. You see, what we call ESP was recently proven to actually exist.
Ena: ESP? Wow!
Mr. Tsubakiyama: Exciting, isn't it? All the grownups are really excited about the discovery too. And so this place is set to get a lot of new staff members. So Daddy's been reassigned here too.
Ena: So are you going to study ESP too, Daddy?
Mr. Tsubakiyama: No, no. Daddy's a government official, not a researcher.
Ena: So what will you do then, Daddy?
Mr. Tsubakiyama: I'm going to protect the espers.
Ena: Protect them...? From who?
Mr. Tsubakiyama: From the bad guys. So far, espers have been bullied a lot... and what's worse is that nobody's stood up to protect them.
Ena: Poor things...
Mr. Tsubakiyama: I know. So that's why we established a post to protect the espers since they need protection. If an esper gets bullied, we'll protect them from the bad guys. On the other hand, if an esper misuses their power, then we'll stop them. It's a very rewarding duty.
Ena: That's so cool. You're like a policeman.
Mr. Tsubakiyama: Hahah. I guess. After all, we are a sort of 'BC police', I guess.
Ena: I wanna do work like you when I grow up too!
Mr. Tsubakiyama: Oh, sounds good. I guess I'll look forward to the day we can work together.

Ena's father smiled.

But about half a year afterwards-- --she realized that day would never come. September 16, 2014.

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

Ena visited her father's workplace alone.

Ena: Daddy...

No matter how many times she called out, there was no answer. She would never hear that gentle voice again. The tears that had streamed down on the day of the funeral service dampened her cheeks once again. Her father had been killed that day trying to protect someone from an arsonist. Ena did not know who her father had died protecting. But even without knowing who it was, she understood one thing:

Ena: (Daddy was probably trying to protect an esper... from the bad guys...!)

And swore to protect what her father had tried to. To one day take up the same work her father had--

Ena: Daddy... I'll keep my promise. So please watch over me in Heaven until then, okay?

For a young girl like her, it was still a lofty dream. But Ena swore on that dream in her heart nevertheless as she wiped her tears.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead: 04/05/2028, 07:50

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

Ena and her mother moved away from Rokumei City to a neighboring town. Her mother refused to stay in a town that served as a constant reminder of sad memories. But even in the new town, Ena grew to follow in her deceased father's footsteps. She continued to pursue a job to protect Communicators just like her father had. But it was by no means an easy path to follow. For her father was a government official at the ''ESP Bureau'' of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT).

Tips posted:

TIP: ESP Bureau

A department of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) established in April 2014 in reaction to the ESP Synchronization Hypothesis proposed by Antoine Courbet in 2012, as well as to the Andresy Witch Hunt in February 2014. The bureau was hastily formed to receive the concerned party of the witch hunt, Alice Enflamme, as Communicator A, and thus at the time, it was seen as a disorganized group of just a handful of people.

The bureau conducts administrative activity in Rokumei City. Its main function was to cooperate with the PRC to encourage Communicator migration into Rokumei City and support their lifestyles, but after the Great Rokumei City Arson, the importance of the bureau was reevaluated and all BC-related administrative activity was delegated to them henceforth. The bureau has roughly equal authority as the police to expose BC-related crimes, and thus today, some jokingly call the ESP Bureau the ''BC Police''.

The ESP Bureau, founded in April 2014, was the organization single-handedly responsible for the administration of BC-related activities. She had thought that by entering that organization, she'd be able to obtain the same work as her father, but-- Once she had gone into middle school and started investigating her father's life, she noticed something curious. For some reason, all employment records of him beyond his assignment to the PRC in April 2014 had been erased. And there was an absolute dearth of information on what sort of work he did for the five months leading up to his death on September 16.

(What's the meaning of this...? Was he doing some sort of special work?)

When Ena questioned her about the anomaly, her tight-lipped mother eventually caved in and spoke about her husband's work. Ena's father was a ''Communicator commissioner''.

Tips posted:

TIP: Communicator commissioner

A government official attached to the ESP Bureau, tasked with the management, protection, and observation of Communicators. The existence of Communicator commissioners is hidden from the public, and thus, commissioners are issued false titles and identification to hide their status.

Everything a commissioner learns on the job is confidential, including even the fact that they have the job. The business requires complete understanding of both the dangers Communicators pose and why they need to be protected. The position is extremely mentally taxing, and thus commissioner candidates are often transfers chosen from the best of other departments like the National Police Agency or the Public Security Bureau.

Communicator commissioners managed and protected Communicators outside of the public eye. With that knowledge, Ena pursued her father's footsteps even more fervently. She majored in parapsychology at university, earning exceptional grades-- And as she graduated, she slipped through all the obstacles to enter the ''ESP Bureau''. Before she knew it, 13 years had passed since her father's death. --On her first day at the ESP Bureau, Ena went to greet her direct superiors. In a certain building in Tokyo, Ena opened a door and went inside a room.

Excuse me.

On the other side of the door were two men. They turned to look at Ena and spoke up.

Kuroda: Oh, you must be the new girl.
I am Ena Tsubakiyama, newly assigned here today. Pleasure to work with you.
Kuroda: I'm Kuroda, chief of Communicator Commission Division 1.
Higa: And I'm Commissioner Higa of the same division.
Kuroda: Well, no need to be so stiff. We may be teased as a sort of 'BC police', but we're not actual police, obviously. So relax.
Yes, thank you, sir.

Despite her words, Ena didn't relax her posture at all. The man named Kuroda smiled wryly to see that as he spoke up to her.

Kuroda: --Well, okay then, how about we change the topic? I'm sure you're aware of this, but we are in charge of various administrative duties regarding BC-related activities. Our work is quite extensive, ranging from Communicator protection, management, and observation, all the way to the exposure of BC-related crimes. Our staff consists of people transfered from not only MEXT, but also the Police Agency, Public Security, and the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Anyway, at best we're a team of experts, and at worst, we're a ragtag gang of misfits. At any rate, the situation around Communicators has gotten tense over the years and outgrown what the MEXT can handle by itself. So compared to when your father was with us, we've been strengthened into quite a large scale organization.
Huh... Chief Kuroda, you knew my father?
Kuroda: He was my superior when I was young. He taught me quite a few things. I'm truly in his debt. Back in those days, there weren't any more than ten of us, including me and Chief Tsubakiyama. But now we've grown into quite an extensive family.
Is that so...!?

Ena was pleased to have met someone who knew her father professionally.

Kuroda: Now then, daughter of Chief Tsubakiyama, what sort of commissioner do you wish to be?
I want to be like my father... a commissioner who will protect Communicators, even at the cost of my own life.
Kuroda: ...I see.

Kuroda smiled sadly at that declaration.

Kuroda: I don't want you to become like your father.
Huh?
Kuroda: I understand why you'd want to follow in your father's footsteps, but you still lack awareness of the true dangers of Communicators. And because of that lack of awareness, you'll end up with the same fate as your father.
...!?

Kuroda watched Ena as she caught the meaning of those words.

Kuroda: What gave us that awareness was, unfortunately, the Communicator who was under Chief Tsubakiyama's protection. She was the Communicator brought into the PRC as a BC research subject, codenamed 'Communicator A'. Unlike your ordinary Communicators, she possessed an extremely dangerous ability known as 'Senses Sympathy'.
Senses Sympathy...?

That was an ability that even Ena, a parapsychology major, had never heard of.

Kuroda: It's only natural that you haven't heard of it. Its very existence is hidden throughout the country. It's extremely dangerous even compared to the other BC abilities. The reason we manage Communicators so strictly is directly related to that danger.

--Kuroda explained the ability to Ena. Sensory sharing. Memory manipulation. Memory erasure. And the final phenomenon associated with the ability, the collapse of the Communicator's mind. With repeated usage of Senses Sympathy, the Communicator's sense of self would cease to function-- And at the same time, they'd become a lump of malice, spreading curse-filled thoughts throughout their surroundings... But it was hard for Ena to believe.

...Is that true?
Kuroda: I wouldn't get anything out of lying about it, would I? In any case, Communicator A used Senses Sympathy on countless occasions throughout her lifetime-- and in the end, she became a lump of malice.
Why...!? For what purpose would A use such a dangerous ability!? There was no reason for her to use it, was there!? Did my father or any of the PRC researchers not stop it!?
Kuroda: ...

A bad feeling welled up in Ena's chest as she watched Kuroda fall silent.

...Don't tell me the PRC researchers forced her to use Senses Sympathy... all for the sake of BC research...!?
Kuroda: No.

Kuroda forcefully interrupted Ena.

Kuroda: Many people make that misunderstanding, both in and out of our organization... but the reality is completely different. At the time, the PRC was exerting all its efforts in an attempt to cure Communicator A. She didn't become a lump of malice after coming to Japan. She was already showing symptoms when she was in her homeland in France.
Huh...!?

As Ena's eyes widened, Kuroda handed her an old newspaper article.

This article's about... the 'Andresy Witch Hunt'!?
Kuroda: Good, you know your stuff.
It's because I researched documents on my own back in my school days...

--As Ena majored in parapsychology, she gained a fairly deep understanding of the history of BC. And from there, she learned the details of this particular incident as well. There was a modern witch hunt incident in February 2014 in Andresy... The victim, Alice Enflamme, was a girl who was 18 years old at the time of the incident. Ever since she was young, she demonstrated various abilities, and as a result, she was shunned by people around her, including her biological parents. Regardless, Alice's parents profited off of her abilities. They founded a new religion, labelling Alice as a ''child of God'' and her telepathy as ''oracles'' as they ripped money off of believers in what was essentially fraud. Those fooled resented her. Her parents never loved her, and instead used her as part of a money-making scheme day after day... Her spirit must have worn down considerably. The years went by, and by the time she turned 16, a new phenomenon occurred. Lawyers who had sued the religious organization for fraud were inexplicably falling victim to memory loss and stupefaction, one after another. The local police hypothesized that religious officials had used some form of drug to induce memory defects in the lawyers, but... The lawyers' bodies showed no sign of drug reactions, and thus, the investigation made no developments.

--But one day, the dark side of the church was brought to light. A certain scientist had established a genetic test to determine ''BC aptitude''. Townspeople began to recognize the existence of Communicators. Eventually, people investigating the religious organization's illegal acts began to think, ''Is Alice actually a Communicator, and not a child of God?'' To check their suspicions, they ran a genetic test on Alice-- and found a result that nobody had ever seen before. ''IGF2R Gene Abnormality Type S''. Alice was the world's first confirmed Rank S Aptitude Communicator. Fraud victims and believers alike were enraged at the test results. ''The Child of God we believed in was just an ordinary human with a genetic mutation. Alice is nothing but a filthy phony who used the bizarre powers granted to her by her defective genes to deceive people. Her power is by no means a power of God. Rather, it is a power of the devil-- a witch's power.'' The devoutly faithful had clung onto that delusion.

Their resentment for having been deceived intensified, and in conjunction with their fear of Communicators, their malice reached critical heat-- and the people became insurgents. The building that served as both the Church and Enflamme family home was set aflame. Alice's parents died in the fire, but Alice herself narrowly escaped the burning church. And the next morning, once the local firefighters had her in protective care... An abnormal spectacle unfurled. A group of insurgents who tried to attack Alice all lost consciousness and fell around her. ...And afterwards, Alice went missing. Those were the details of the ''Andresy Witch Hunt''.

Tips posted:

TIP: Andresy Witch Hunt

The French government has defined some antisocial religious groups as sects and made efforts to clearly define the line between these sects and other religions. The government was faced with the problem of religions abusing the precedence in laws and human rights afforded to them by France's value systems. In 2001, France adopted an anti-sect law, prompting legislation from the rest of Europe. And in March 2012, a certain French sect triggered an incident. A sect named ''Under the Name of God'' which deified a 16-year-old girl as a child of God was accused of committing fraud against its believers. Lawyers who attempted to prosecute the sect fell victim to memory loss and stupefaction one after the other.

Local police in charge of the investigation suspected the sect of drugging the lawyers, but there was no trace of evidence. The investigation reached a deadlock. But afterwards, the investigation tackled the the incident once again from an unexpected angle. That December, Antoine Courbet, a Betelgeuse New Treatments brain physiologist who had placed himself in France, proposed the ''ESP synchronization hypothesis''. According to that hypothesis, inspection of the IGF2R gene would allow for the screening of so-called ''espers'' who possessed extra-sensory perception. Many scholars brushed off the theory as mere quackery, but the plausibility of ESP's existence began to spread by mouth throughout the town.

And in February 2014, Alice Enflamme, age 18 at the time, underwent a genetic test on the basis of the theory. The results turned the situation on its head. For she turned out to be a top-class esper-- the world's first Rank S Aptitude Communicator. The faithful who had believed Alice was a child of God now deemed her as a witch born of a genetic mutation. Their rage surged into an insurgency, and they set fire to the church that served as her house.

The local fire department's efforts quelled the insurgency in just one night, but two major mysteries remained from the tragic incident: First, why did the insurgents that attacked Alice all lose consciousness? Second, where did Alice disappear to afterwards--? Such is the incident known to the world as the Andresy Witch Hunt.

The incident that became the first page in the history book of anti-Communicator terrorism. It was an incident that Ena had already known about-- but by connecting what she had just heard from Kuroda, she realized a new truth.

(It's not written in the article, but... could Alice have used Senses Sympathy...!? So then was the string of incidents of lawyers losing their memories a result of Alice using memory manipulation? And the insurgents fainted as a result of her using that ability in self-defense...!?)

But there was a more important matter at hand. Ena questioned Kuroda with a trembling voice.

Wh... why would you show me this article...? Does this incident have something to do with my father?
Kuroda: Of course. The Communicator that your father was protecting while he was alive-- --was that very same Alice Enflamme. Later known as 'Communicator A'.
!!

Kuroda continued as Ena gasped in astonishment.

Kuroda: After the witch hunt, worldwide Communicator discrimination and persecution became a frequent occurrence. But at the same time, Rokumei City and the PRC worked against that trend, promoting protection for Communicators. Discriminated Communicators were recommended to migrate to Rokumei City and in exchange for becoming test subjects for BC research, they'd receive financial aid for their entire livelihood... It was a win-win situation for both the Communicators who wished to live in peace, and the PRC who wished to advance BC research. And miraculously enough, the first Communicator to be received by the PRC, as well as the first to be put under Chief Tsubakiyama's protective care, was none other than Communicator A.
No way...! That can't be...!
Kuroda: It is unbelievable, isn't it? Try reading this, then.

Kuroda handed Ena a printed stack of papers.

Kuroda: This is a journal of A's probation, as written by Chief Tsubakiyama. It was left in his government-provided computer. It appears to not be an official report log, but a simple personal journal... This document is an extreme necessity in order to understand what had happened in this town at the time.

Ena read her father's journal as instructed. It was a very informal journal. In it was a record of the ''after days'' Alice had experienced once she had survived and overcome the crime that had come before.

Tips posted:

TIP: Taiho-jutsu
Category: Nonfiction

A general term for martial arts techniques used for the apprehension and restraint of suspects, culprits, and other ruffians by the police, coast guard officers, self-defense force military police and other such judicial police officials granted the authority to perform criminal searches by the provisions of the Criminal Procedure Code. Empty-handed techniques are based off of Nippon Kempo, judo, and aikido, while baton techniques are based off of kendo. In the event the official has a police cane, they use jojutsu, and in addition, they practice combat with imitation guns and other tools for all sorts of situations imaginable. Taiho-jutsu is built from the accumulated knowledge of police organizations, public safety departments, the self-defense force, and security guard departments, but since the most important principle is that the art is to be used only for restraining the opponent, the techniques are devised to minimize any unnecessary damage dealt to them.

Tips posted:

TIP: Nippon Kempo

A competitive martial art devised by judo practitioner Muneomi Sawayama, where practitioners wear armor and gloves to use punching, kicking, and judo locking techniques. Often referred to simply as Kempo or Nikken in Japan. Nippon Kempo is a ''ran'', or free-form, kempo. Instead of relying on structured kata, its core revolves around both practitioners freely exchanging blows as they master their fists. This free-form style of hand-to-hand combat was conceptualized from the ancient Greek martial art of pankration, and since it allowed for the free use of many different techniques long before mixed martial arts, Nippon Kempo had a big influence on such things as the Japan Self-Defense Force's barehanded combat drills and the police's Taiho-jutsu.

Tips posted:

TIP: Chanting in unison

The choral chanting of a single line in unison at a stage is called sprechchor in German and in Japanese. It can also in turn refer to demonstrators or protesters chanting slogans or demands in unison. Many German Ioanwords have entered the Japanese language, particularly medical terminology, such as karte (medical chart), kranke (sick person), gaze (gauze), gips (gypsum [cast]), kapsel (capsule), vakzin (vaccine), and neurose (neurosis). As for everyday words, the Japanese language has adapted hierarchie (hierarchy), gelaende (ski slope), rucksack, baumkuchen, and arbeit ([part-time] job). Also, while not German loanwords, some words in the Japanese language are surprisingly rooted in Portuguese, like kasutera (from pao de Castela) and kompeito (from confeito).

Tips posted:

TIP: N-ification

Refers to the condition of loss of self that Communicators experience after the excessive use of Senses Sympathy. Initial symptoms include megalomania, speaking of the personalities of Senses Sympathy targets as if they were their own, and the use of the malicious untargeted telepathy known as NBC. Terminal symptoms include total loss of self, the indiscriminate use of Senses Sympathy on everyone who comes within range, and altering the memories of those people by coating them with malice. No treatment has been found. Merely approaching a terminal patient requires the injection of AD.

It is no exaggeration to say that a terminally N-ified Communicator is no more than a living weapon that corrupts minds. It is unknown to what extent LABO's top researchers were considering that point, or if they were considering weaponizing N-ified Communicators themselves, but it wasn't long before LABO began to unilaterally confine Rank S Aptitude Communicators without reporting their activity to the government. Communicators as a whole are not obligated to live in top secret cities, but Rank 8 Aptitude Communicators are an exception. To these elite Communicators, the top secret cities are both cradles and cages.

Tips posted:

TIP: NBC
Category: Includes fiction

An acronym standing for Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical. NBC disasters thus include nuclear disasters such as meltdowns, biological disasters such as bacterial infections, and chemical disasters such as the spread of poisonous gas. Strictly nuclear disasters are called N disasters. Japan is equipped with various forces to deal with NBC disasters, including the Counter-NBC Terrorism Squad, the Chemical Weapon Defense Unit, HAZ-MAT, and naturally, the rescue squads. However, in the field of BC research, the forerunner LABO coined the term ''Negative Beyond Communication'', which also has the abbreviation of NBC. This NBC refers to the untargeted, curse-like telepathy used by Communicators in the process of N-ification. Furthermore, within LABO, when the WX particle amplifier malfunctions and increases the energy levels above 1 mSv (milliscalar value), the ensuing ''meltdown'' is also called an ''NBC disaster''.

As Ena finished reading, she muttered in dumbfoundment.

Kuroda: Yes. That is what he devoted himself to. ...The cause of N-ification is currently still unclear, but it's said that the most likely cause is the overuse of Senses Sympathy. By the time A had gone from France to Japan, her N-ification had already progressed considerably. As a result of the dedicated efforts of Chief Tsubakiyama and the researchers at the PRC, she temporarily regained tranquility, but... The truth of the matter was that her mind was already on the brink of collapse. Unfortunately, at the time of her arrival, Rokumei City was rife with a citizen group's anti-BC demonstrations. The persecution of that citizen group triggered A's N-ification to progress all the way to completion. The malice she had held back came gushing forth-- The completely N-ified A escaped from the PRC. And then that tragedy occurred.
What tragedy...?
Kuroda: The Great Rokumei City Arson.
No way!? You mean the Great Rokumei City Arson was caused by A!?
Kuroda: Yeah. Fifteen people infected with A's malice committed various crimes throughout the city that night. And for some reason, half of those crimes were arson. Most likely as an influence of A's thoughts. Commissioner Tsubakiyama and I looked all over town to protect A...

Kuroda: Right at that time, a man infected with malice was trying to stab A to death with a knife. Commissioner Tsubakiyama was stabbed trying to protect A. The stunned culprit tried to run away, but I apprehended him. ...The problem was what came afterwards. I didn't know how to resolve the situation. I was so afraid of being infected with malice that I couldn't approach A. But if I left her alone, then even more people would've been infected with malice. In all seriousness, the entire town could've burned to the ground, and I couldn't do a thing about it...

Kuroda: ...In the end, it was Commissioner Tsubakiyama that saved the city. Even though he sustained heavy injuries and became infected with malice, he injected A with medication that put her to sleep.
Wha...!?
Kuroda: After A had been taken back to the PRC, Commissioner Tsubakiyama was brought to the hospital, but it was already too late. ...The town survived in exchange for his life.

Tips posted:

TIP: The Great Rokumei City Arson

At dawn on September 16, 2014, fifteen locations in Rokumei City were set on fire in quick succession, starting with Rokumei City Hospital. The fires blazed up, engulfing several lives in a matter of moments. There were 118 deaths and 232 injuries. The suspects caught red-handed by the police were members of the citizen's group, the ''Anti-BC League''. The city and the general public fervently blamed the incident as an act of anti-Communicator terrorism and evicted them from Rokumei City--

The event was known worldwide as the Great Rokumei City Arson, but it was not entirely the fault of the Anti-BC League that put the Communicators through such hardship. In reality, the true cause was none other than a Communicator. A few hours before the Great Arson, an incident happened in the city's Parapsychology Research Center (PRC). The completely N-ified Communicator A escaped from the facility. She used Senses Sympathy on the people she came across on her path, amplifying their malice and causing them to commit acts of violence. Some set fires. Others stabbed citizens with knives. One person even attacked a police officer and stole a gun. (It is thought that some of A's memories of her time in France as Alice Enflamme had some influence in their actions.)

The situation was thought to have been beyond all help, but the commissioner in charge of A, Jin Tsubakiyama, was able to safely secure her. Though many victims were lost that day, the worst-case scenario had been prevented. Researcher Eriguchi, whose negligence gave A the chance to escape, was found in a state of extreme confusion. In his police interview, he incomprehensibly shouted ''A saw my secret past. A was me.''

She could say nothing about her father's heroic life and death.

Kuroda: ...And that incident triggered the government to finally understand the gravity of the situation. And after just two years, the government put forth some serious efforts: the BC Law was put into place, Rokumei City became a government designated top secret city, and LABO was established, among other things. They recognized the deteriorating social climate and strengthened the ESP Bureau as well. We've been given authority equal to the police in regards to BC-related crimes. A spent around two more years confined in the PRC, but once LABO was established, she was transferred there. LABO may be a BC research facility, but it's also a facility for the confinement and treatment of N-ified Communicators. It's the fortress Chief Tsubakiyama had wished for in life. But before she could be cured... A died a year after her transfer. And thus the incident reached its conclusion.

Ena gulped and then looked Kuroda in the eyes as she spoke.

...Is that the true history behind this town?
Kuroda: It is. Now do you understand why I said 'I don't want you to become like your father'? The person Chief Tsubakiyama risked his life to protect was a mind-maddening monster. If you act on your desire to just 'protect' Communicators without knowing that fact, you very well may face the same fate as your father. Are you sure you still want to do this work?
--... Yes!

Once Ena finally gave that answer, Kuroda faintly smiled.

Kuroda: I like your guts! Then keep that in mind! From today henceforth, you live in the shadows behind society. You must not bring to light any of the truths you learn through this work. If you were to divulge any of the truths we just discussed, then Communicator persecution would likely explode all across Japan. The world would revert to the dark times of 2014. Therefore, we cannot speak the truth to anyone. You must commit everything to memory, mask your true character, and still come in contact with Communicators.
Kuroda: You never know when or if the one you're protecting will become a monster. Protection and surveillance are two sides of the same coin. If you want to protect Communicators, then you must never let your guard down around them. Keep your distance. Observe them calmly. It's a tough job... but can you do it, 'Commissioner Ena Tsubakiyama'?

Ena smiled at those words.

Tough? Preposterous. It's a job worth doing.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Enflamme

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Yeah, that was a bad last name choice.

Still, I was surprised to learn what N-ification meant. What with everyone running around speculating I thought it'd be the same thing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Good lord Teach, your memories have so many words in them.

Figures.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm guessing Salyu is Alice's daughter. The reason she's emotionless is because MEXT tried to remove anything that can cause malice in her.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Now that her particular job name/description has been specified, I'll note that Root A Normal ending mentioned the bodies of three BC commissioners.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This game loves music. Sympathy for the Devil is another Rolling Stones song, Fight Fire With Fire is a Metallica song, and Ding-Dong! The Witch is Dead is, of course, from The Wizard of Oz.

Going over everyone Natsu has SS'd...

Watase: Germanic classical music
Ukita: Computing and programming terms
Jun: American rock music
And Ena... musicals?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ten generations of people don't set the world on fire, you think the name's perfectly safe! Little do you know...

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Cyouni posted:

Now that her particular job name/description has been specified, I'll note that Root A Normal ending mentioned the bodies of three BC commissioners.

I may be misremembering, but wasn't Eriguchi one of the people Watase mugged for their keycards and eyes at the start?

Also, I would just like to draw everyone's attention to this:

TheMcD posted:

Ena read her father's journal as instructed. It was a very informal journal. In it was a record of the ''after days'' Alice had experienced once she had survived and overcome the crime that had come before.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

OddHaberdasher posted:

I may be misremembering, but wasn't Eriguchi one of the people Watase mugged for their keycards and eyes at the start?

Also, I would just like to draw everyone's attention to this:

That would be correct. The other one was Kashiwagi, who was also mentioned here.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Something else I just thought of. First, these quotes:

TheMcD posted:

...Hmph, now ain't that sentimental? 'The life of the dead is retained in the memory of the living' and all that jazz?

...Did you want to live on in Jun's mind too?
No poo poo, Sherlock. We want to connect with others' hearts and minds, leaving our thoughts and feelings behind within them... That's what we Communicators desire above all else.

Now, what was the backstory Salyu gave us after she was cut loose by LABO? French, wealthy background, uncaring parents? Seems familiar somehow...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

School Days: 04/08/2030, 07:31

For the two following years, she tackled various BC-related incidents alongside Kuroda and Higa. Commissioner duties had grown considerably in the past 16 years. They were now close to a police or public safety department. In 2029, they exposed researchers guilty of illegal Communicator confinement and experimentation. Victimized Communicators were recommended to migrate to government designated top secret cities. --But there were also times when Communicators were the victimizers rather than the victims. Criminals found uses for BC abilities. Empathy, for example, could be used in industrial espionage to gain corporate trade secrets. Ena had sought and apprehended such Communicators herself. Throughout those days, she became fully aware of the meaning behind Kuroda's words. ''Protection and surveillance are two sides of the same coin''... Communicators were to be both protected and put under surveillance. To protect herself, she had to take lessons in marksmanship and self defense. Ena trained her body, and at the same time-- she steeled her stoic heart.

(In the same way that there are good and bad ordinary people, so too are there bad Communicators. Even if they aren't N-ified, Communicators can still be dangerous. I mustn't let my guard down. They're a different breed from us with their own unique abilities...)

When she thought about it, the cause of her father's death was actually created by a Communicator. Eventually, it became a natural habit of Ena's to close her heart towards Communicators. --But then one day, Kuroda assigned Ena with a new duty.

Kuroda: Yes. Well, to be more accurate, you'll be stationed at a BC specialty school as a commissioner to protect and observe the Communicators. I know it's hard, but don't forget that at the core, we're part of the Ministration of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. Considering the Education part, it shouldn't be odd to teach, should it?
B-but... I've never even imagined taking on such an assignment...
Kuroda: No, you actually need this sort of experience right now. Since your heart's been hardened considerably these past two years, you see.
...?
Kuroda: Well, you'll understand as soon as you take up the assignment. Go interact with some pure-hearted children and soothe that heart of yours.

--And thus, on her third year in the bureau, Ena reached a turning point as a commissioner.

The BC specialty school established in Ena's hometown.

(Starting today, I'm going to be playing teacher...? I know it's for work, but it's such a pain...)

Ena shook her head in frustration as she headed for the school building. She closed her heart as always and masked her true character from those around her.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

I'll make up for my lack of experience with my surplus of eagerness, so I look forward to working with you all!
Students: Yes ma'am!

The students obediently answered Ena's greeting. To live as a teacher, the first thing Ena kept in mind was to befriend the students. The students being wary of her would hinder her work as a commissioner. So to prevent that situation, she played the part of ''a friendly teacher who was enthusiastic about education, but still had some playfulness to her''. It wasn't a job she exactly wanted to do, but now that she had to do it, she thought she might as well give it her best.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, okay?

One student called out in response to that invitation.

Oddly enough, it was a girl who asked that staple question.

(Since she has Rank B Aptitude, I wouldn't be surprised if she demonstrated empathy at some point. Need to be wary of her.)

As she kept that thought in mind, Ena smiled and answered the question.

No, I don't. Actually, I just moved into Rokumei City, so I don't have very many friends or acquaintances yet.
Ah, then you can be my friend!

As Mashiro said that, the boy in the next seat accosted her.

C'mon, Mashiro. You're being rude to the professor here.

(An extremely peculiar student with a clear gap between aptitude and ability. I need to observe him extremely carefully.)

See, Natsuhiko? Looks like my hunch was right.
You always get carried away like this...
Heheh, now, now, settle down, children. Now then, class, how about we start the lesson already!?
Students: Okay!

At any rate, Ena's life as a teacher began thusly. --Rokumei Academy's students were all obedient, and a lot of the children were honest and bright by nature. A likely cause for the students' positive attitude was because they were raised in a Communicator-only environment from a young age. By treating mind reading and mind conveying as normal matters of life-- --it seemed almost naturally easier to raise Communicators with such straightforward personalities. But nevertheless, Ena felt stressed in that environment. An environment where almost everyone around her was a Communicator. It pained her frayed heart.

(I need to acclimatize to this environment, and quick...)

Ena couldn't quite understand what Kuroda's aim was. True, it might have been the perfect environment to test her aptitude as a commissioner and to temper her spirit and ability, but still...

Ms. Ena, are you going home now?

One day, just as Ena was about to head home, Mashiro called out to her in the hallway. Beside her was Natsuhiko.

Oh, you two going home as well?
Yes.
Then how about we go together for just a bit?

Ena thought it'd be a good opportunity to observe these two surveillance targets.

All the while carefully choosing harmless and inoffensive words that fit the image of a new teacher.

Say, I hope you two don't mind me asking, but... were there any problems with my lesson?
Huh? What do you mean?
I'm only just starting out, so I'm not too confident. If there were any parts that were hard to understand, it'd be a big help if you told me.
There weren't any at all. It was really easy to understand.
Yeah. Besides, you were enthusiastic and engaged the class directly. You're somewhat different from the other teachers.
Huh... different from the other teachers how?
Welllllll~ I guess it has to be how all the other newly appointed teachers to this school would build up a defensive wall against us. I guess it's easy to make the misunderstanding that all Communicators are espers that read minds and stuff...
That's true. Normally we're not all that conscious of how we're Communicators, but... It might seem a little uncanny to newcomers, so it's a bit of a shock to them, perhaps.
But you didn't shy away at all, Ms. Ena, so it was a relief to us all.
...Well, it's only natural. I am a teacher, after all. I'd be a failure of a teacher if I let my students intimidate me.

Natsuhiko and Mashiro smiled in relief to hear that. --But in the back of Ena's mind, she felt a little guilty. For she was only playing the role of an ''amicable teacher'' temporarily, while her true mission was something else entirely: To keep Rokumei Academy's students under constant surveillance to see if any of them became N-ified... The school constantly monitored the students' aptitude and ability through genetic tests and ability level exams entirely for that purpose as well. Particularly Natsuhiko, one of only six Rank S Aptitude Communicators currently in Japan. Both the ESP Bureau and LABO had recognized him as a ''top-priority observation target''. If by any chance Natsuhiko were to awaken to his BC powers and demonstrate Senses Sympathy, he'd be restrained immediately. That was both part of Ena's job and the nation's regulations. But unaware of that disturbing truth, Natsuhiko and Mashiro looked at Ena with affectionate eyes.

--Um, please be more confident in yourself, Professor. I think you're a great teacher. I'm not good at parapsychology, but even I think your lesson was easy to understand.
Hmm? Natsuhiko, you've never complimented a parapsychology teacher before, have you? Man, you reek! I can smell an ulterior motive all the way over here!
Huh, ulterior motive?
Please be careful around him, okay Ms. Ena? This scoundrel's got a thing for older women, so he sucks up to any woman older than him.
I-idiot! What are you saying, Mashiro!?
O-oh my, now you've put me on the spot... I'm happy, but we have to maintain a healthy student-teacher relationship...
Don't play along with her, Professor!

Ena smiled at those words. Her smile was still fake, but at least a little bit of it was genuine.

At first, she was only playing the part of an ''amicable teacher'', but little by little, she genuinely grew into that role. During lessons, she received students' questions as cordially as possible. Ena had originally studied parapsychology quite earnestly in college. She had vast stocks of BC knowledge in store, and if sharing that knowledge made the students happy, it pleased her too. And thus, she gradually became accustomed to the academy.

♪ BGM: Helper / Theme of Mashiro

Ms. Ena~ Can you help me with the career survey from the other day~? I'm stumped. I just can't decide...
Oh my, you don't have any dreams for the future?
Mmm, nothing definitive yet. I want to at least do something that puts my talents to good use for others, at least. Like a chef, or a counselor...
Or how about Mr. Tenkawa's wife?
Huh!? Wh-wh-wh-wh-what are you talking about, Ms. Ena!?
Heheh, you're so easy to figure out. Oh, to be young again.

Natsuhiko turned toward the two after hearing his name in their conversation.

Hmm? Did you call for me, Professor?
No, she didn't, she didn't! Go away, Natsuhiko!
Wh-why do you have to be like that...

Ena smiled at that little exchange.

(... If you ignore the fact that these kids are Communicators, they're just normal children, huh? Even though I have to keep my guard around them, they really are still kids that I need to protect...)

Before she knew it, Ena had regained her original pure state of mind.

If Natsuhiko showed even the faintest sign of N-ification, Ena probably wouldn't hesitate to restrain him. Their peace was built upon a foundation of dangerously thin ice. If even the smallest crack were to form on the ice, it could spell a repeat of the tragedy 16 years ago.

(... And I need to hide that fact as I interact with them. So, for the sake of these kids at the very least...)

Ena would protect that temporary peace with all her might. She would protect what her father could not.

(If I had one wish, it'd be for a world where these kids could live in peace forever...)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

In the Dark: 06/16/2030, 16:21

Ena put forth her effort into her commissioner work once again. She analyzed data from all students, not just those in her class, but everyone from elementary to high school. She also scoured archival data to find if any students in the past had shown signs of N-ification.

(A female student of this school died nine years ago...? And she met with a fire that happened in LABO...?)

The student's name was said to have been ''Yuuri Kotono''. For some reason, this knowledge stuck in Ena's mind. LABO was supposed to have been protected by perfect disaster prevention and security systems, so why would a fire happen there?

(... I'll go look into it a little.)

Ena began a personal investigation into the matter.

As she fished for documents and gathered information here and there, various unusual points came to light.

(... Mr. Tenkawa was there too at the time of Yuuri Kotono's death? And immediately afterwards, Mr. Tenkawa's aptitude rose...)

Furthermore, LABO's performance improved soon afterwards. It became the top performing BC research facility in Japan, releasing innovation after innovation: Development of the BC-inhibitor, ''AD''. Development of the BC particle energy measuring instrument, the ''Procyon''. Development of anti-BC suits. Improvement of BC insulators. Enhancement of the WX particle amplifier output. Verification of the informational field hypothesis and upgrading it to the informational field theory. Among many other results. --How was LABO able to produce so many different results? Ena couldn't find the connecting thread among all of these facts, but she really didn't think it could've been a coincidence.

(There was another time when LABO'S performance improved this much... A year after LABO was established in 2016. When Communicator A was still alive and confined as a test subject within LABO...)

Around that time, the AD prototype was made and the WX particle amplifier's output was vastly strengthened. But with Communicator A's natural death in LABO in 2017, they had no results that stood out all the way through 2020.

(But starting in 2021, their productivity rose again-- and it's still rising to this day. It'd be great to write it all off as a ''coincidence'', but...)

But there was one other thing that bothered Ena. After A's death, thirteen years passed without them confining ''a single test subject''. That in itself might have been a joyous occasion, but it instead felt unnatural. Communicators who demonstrated Senses Sympathy were all confined to various labs. And each lab's administrator reported the confinements to the ESP Bureau. That was the secret law of the nation. But Rokumei City, with its 350 Communicators-- --had not reported a single Communicator demonstrating Senses Sympathy. Was that not odd?

(Have there really not been any appearances of Ability Level 6 Communicators in Rokumei City... Or has one really appeared, and they're already confined in LABO? And LABO has merely neglected their obligation to report it to us at the ESP Bureau...?)

There was only one reason to neglect the obligation to report.

(They must be doing something they really don't want us to know about...)

Ena's skin broke out into goosebumps the moment that thought crossed her mind. --Human experimentation. That was the term that came to mind.

(No way, that can't be...?)

But as Ena had traveled across the country as a Commissioner, she had encountered a similar incident before. She had arrested researchers that had abducted and entrapped a Communicator to perform illegal experimentation.

(The same exact incident's happening in a government designated top secret city!?)

It was just baseless conjecture without proof on her part. But as soon as she had harbored that suspicion-- Ena's eyes changed from that of a teacher... to that of a commissioner. --After that, she continued her investigation even further. And after three months of investigation, she brought her results to ESP Bureau headquarters.

Yes.

Ena gave a clear answer to Kuroda's doubtful question.

First, concerning 'Yuuri Kotono', a victim in the LABO fire nine years ago-- By putting the heat on the company that carried out her funeral service, I found out something quite interesting.
Kuroda: That being?
Yuuri Kotono's funeral service was a complete farce. When she was laid in that coffin, she wasn't dead. They gave her sleeping medication, applied funeral makeup, and passed off the real Yuuri Kotono as her own corpse.
Kuroda: They what!?
And before they cremated her body, they replaced it with a monkey's corpse. The bereaved family believed those ashes to be the remains of Yuuri Kotono and laid them to rest. And thus, she was dead to the world.
Kuroda: Impossible... Isn't that too elaborate for an act? Yuuri Kotono's death was a sudden accidental death, wasn't it?
It appears the funeral service company had prepared for the opportunity beforehand. Somebody had commissioned them to do it. They did not disclose any information about the client... but it was probably somebody from Rokumei City, or perhaps LABO.
Kuroda: So then you say they feigned Yuuri Kotono's death and confined her in LABO?
The possibility's extremely high.

After hearing Ena's report to the end, Kuroda took a deep breath.

Kuroda: Tsubakiyama... you investigated this far on your own?
In my spare time as a teacher, yes.
Kuroda: Well I'll be... You're not the same type as your father, but you seem to be quite capable in your own right, I'll give you that.

As Kuroda smiled wryly, Ena continued.

...More importantly, how should we handle this case, Chief Kuroda? Our duty is, first and foremost, to protect Communicators... Any illegal experimentation on them must be exposed.
Kuroda: ...Yes, of course.
Then we should conduct an on-site inspection of LABO posthaste. Given the ESP Bureau's authority, that shouldn't be much of a--
Kuroda: We can't, Tsubakiyama.

Ena's eyes widened at Kuroda's response.

Kuroda: Higa and I have already suspected that LABO and Rokumei City are up to no good. But even if we requested a compulsory inspection, the higher ups wouldn't approve it.
Why!? Are we not a national agency!? So why are we unable to search a facility administered by a local self-governing body!?
Kuroda: Normally, we could. We do have the authority to inspect every government designated top secret city and research institution. But for some reason or another, Rokumei City's LABO is the only place that's off-limits to our inspection. The reasons for the top brass' refusal seem to be 'insufficient evidence' and 'to ensure LABO's secrecy'.
Impossible... Even for just a simple inspection? If they don't have anything to feel guilty about, then there shouldn't be a problem at all...
Kuroda: Yeah. So what I'm thinking... is that even the top brass here at the ESP Bureau have probably fallen to LABO's side. Perhaps by bribery or by blackmail.
...!

When Ena became speechless, Kuroda continued.

Kuroda: ...LABO is an independent administrative institution. Strictly speaking, they're not under the rule of a government agency like us. Naturally, at first they received national guidance and were set up in accordance with national policy, but they gradually grew out of our control. Currently, LABO's management is handled by Rokumei City, but the research results are sold over to a corporation called Betelgeuse New Treatments. In short, LABO is a commercial corporation posing as an administrative institution. Furthermore, since it's protected by the city, LABO can withstand all sorts of strain. It's an extremely nasty secret research facility.
Then... the facility that my father wanted established to protect Communicators... has been reduced to a sinister corporate entity, performing human experimentation for profit?

Tips posted:

TIP: LABO's True Face

A BC research facility on the outskirts of Rokumei City, with two ground floors and three basement levels. Its full name is the 6th Laboratory of Atomic and Biological Organization.

While it is a research facility, it is also a facility meant to confine Rank S Communicators with or without their consent to treat and observe them in order to fight against N-ification. Though there is little else that can be done, it is still a violation of human rights, and thus people are kept away from LABO under the pretense of confidentiality and the risk of nuclear power. The national government is aware of that much, and so LABO is obligated to notify the national government whenever they discover and secure a Rank S Communicator. However, according to the official government documents, the last Communicator LABO secured was Communicator A (Alice Enflamme), and thus the national government is unaware of the confined test subjects Yuuri and Subject N, as well as LABO's many observation targets like Natsuhiko. Both LABO's brilliant achievements and its unbridled rampage began in 2021 -- with the ''Subject N escape incident''.

Kuroda: We only have circumstantial evidence, but yes, that appears to be the case.

Ena gritted her teeth at those words. --When her father was alive, he and the BC researchers he worked with all supposedly attended to the Communicators with good faith. Did the researchers' ethics decay through the sixteen years following? Based on the nature of the facility, if LABO so wished, they could conduct inhuman experimentation without anyone being the wiser. Had they gone so far off the deep end to do just that...!?

Kuroda: ...There's also another reason why the higher ups are reluctant to do a compulsory inspection.
Huh?
Kuroda: National interest. Regardless of what happens internally in there, LABO undeniably produces results. Do you know just how much foreign money the development of BC insulators and AD earned? Roughly 800 billion yen. A sum that large more than compensates for the abduction of one or two Communicators in the eyes of the Japanese government. Even if the confined Communicators become N-ified, it should be fine if they've been shut away from the beginning. Public safety shouldn't waver. An' nobody bats an eye. Nobody's sad, and they all lived happily ever--
Please don't joke like that!

Ena's angry voice interrupted Kuroda's cynical sneering.

What happens to abducted Communicators...!? True, Communicators at risk for N-ification should be confined. We can't have a repeat of the tragedy 16 years ago. But Yuuri Kotono had Rank C Aptitude, you know!? There wasn't any need for her to suffer confinement! If I just ignore this incident, then LABO could even start abducting my own students one day for all I know! So please... I don't care what anyone says. I can't let LABO's crimes pass!

Once Ena finished shouting all of that in one go, Kuroda gazed at her hard.

Kuroda: ...You've really become a 'teacher', haven't you, Commissioner Tsubakiyama?
Huh? Ah...
Kuroda: So I take it you place priority in the dignity of the confined Communicators as individuals over the nation's agenda, then?
...I do. Is that so wrong? What about you, Chief Kuroda? Commissioner Higa? Do you feel nothing? It is our duty to protect Communicators, is it not?

Kuroda answered Ena's plea.

Kuroda: ...Exactly...

And Higa nodded as well, finaly breaking his silence.

Higa: Tsubakiyama. You are correct.
Huh...?
Higa: I didn't know your father, but I've read his journal several times. According to his accounts, Communicator A was unmistakably 'someone in need of protection'. Regardless of how dangerous she may have been.
Higa: I was transferred from Public Security. From an objective position, the national agenda is absolute, and I believe that the safety of the public should receive priority over everything. But unless it comes at the cost of the safety of the public, the dignity of the individual should be protected with the utmost care as well. Two types of people live in this country. The great majority who does not know the truth, and those of us who do know. Those who do not know the truth should be allowed to live in public peace in blissful ignorance, unaware of both justice and evil. But we're different. Among those who know the truth, we are the only ones who can execute justice. If we forget justice, it means the decay of ethics. Isn't that correct, Tsubakiyama?
Y...yes!

Kuroda smiled at Ena's response.

Kuroda: Heh, guess that settles it... We don't need no stinkin' permission. Let's make that compulsory inspection.
Higa: With which members?
Kuroda: Well, we don't know who's in the pockets of the Rokumei City government. So let's just go with the three of us. It's a dangerous mission, though, so you don't have to come with us if you don't want to, you know, little missy...?
No. I'll go with you.

Ena answered without hesitation. For she believed that was what her father wished for...

Early morning, September 16. A fateful day for Ena's division, as it was the anniversary of her father's death. Their prepared provisions included a forged inspection warrant-- and a single handgun for Ena's self-defense only.

Tips posted:

TIP: SS12 Sagitta

The small pistol carried by ESP Bureau members during escort missions. It has a loading capacity of 15+1. A Swiss model from 2012. The gun barrel has an integrated silencer and is made of a Zylon fiber reinforced plastic (ZFRP), allowing it to pass through metal detectors undetected. It uses bullets with lower than average amounts of gunpowder, reducing its killing force. However, since it is meant to be used only as a last resort, Ena sees its reduced power as a positive as it prevents her from complacently relying on the gun. The nickname Sagitta comes from the constellation Sagittarius, the archer, equating the gun's quietness to that of a bow firing an arrow.

Kuroda: LABO is a den of demons. We don't know what's waiting for us in there. If worse comes to worst, you need to be prepared to use this.

And with those words, Ena steeled her heart.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I know it's a big reveal, but it still feels like a tad too much info to come out aaaaall at once, I gotta say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

A bundle of it is stuff we already know/suspected (Come on, 'Alice' and Salyu look pretty similar that's kind of a dead giveaway in these games where art assets are at something of a premium.)

That still doesn't forgive Teach for being boring about her Good Guy Secret Service lifestyle :colbert:

• Locked thread