Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kokoro Wish posted:

Some people consider them to be a closed bubble of post-grad intellectuals speaking to other post-grad intellectuals in post-grad intellectual language that's impenetrable to the regular person.

It's clearly aimed at a fairly niche audience but going by the articles I've read it's generally not impenetrable, and my eyes usually glaze over with that sort of waffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I mean, yeah? But that consideration was kind of part of the point I was not really very well making. Allotments are for old retired people because young people by and large just don't have it in them to bother.

Yeah, anecdotal. But my anecdotes are worth ten to twelve times everyone else's anecdotes. Keep that in mind.

Come the post-Brexit breakdown it's the weak ones who will starve :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EmptyVessel posted:

Yeah, I knew a couple of people involved in arms. They were pretty hosed up, not sure these niceties would register to be honest.
tbf the official non-counter tax paying arms trade will sell to any set of bastards if they serve national interests in some perverse way so maybe that's the more accurate counter.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

Come the post-Brexit breakdown it's the weak ones who will starve :colbert:

And feed us, the remeating leftovers.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

tbf the official non-counter tax paying arms trade will sell to any set of bastards if they serve national interests in some perverse way so maybe that's the more accurate counter.

Bastards all the way down. Strikes me that the only way to play that game as counter would be to amass so much firepower that you could decisively end all opposition in one go, otherwise you are simply perpetuating strife and suffering not negating it.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

And feed us, the remeating leftovers.

Some applesauce and parsnips for your longpig perhaps? :discourse:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Zephro posted:

This is your periodic reminder that Brexit is really happening, that the chances of crashing out of the EU with no transitional deal at all are quite high, and that this is a foreign policy fuckup of epic proportions that will impoverish everyone in the country for the rest of their lives. If you're young and unattached and in a position to leave this country for somewhere less self-harming, you should do so as soon as you can and in any case before 2019.

Well, let's not be hyperbolic here. There are kids being born today who, by the time they're old codgers at the start of the next century, might see a country that has prosperity again.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Well, let's not be hyperbolic here. There are kids being born today who, by the time they're old codgers at the start of the next century, might see a country that has prosperity again.

As long as they live in Londonderry and have a decent pair of binoculars, yes.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Wales and Ireland seem to be popular destinations these days, especially if you're looking on finding a place to live off the grid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EmptyVessel posted:

Strikes me that the only way to play that game as counter would be to amass so much firepower that you could decisively end all opposition in one go, otherwise you are simply perpetuating strife and suffering not negating it.
Eagerly awaiting Corbyn to abandon nuclear disarmament and announce Trident GPLv2, maker edition. Suspect disappointment.

kingturnip posted:

As long as they live in Londonderry and have a decent pair of grandparents, yes.
fixed

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Had to share this:
A complete “s--t show”
Rich millennials paid thousands for Ja Rule's Fyre Fest and are now stranded on an island in disaster-relief tents

It's not Britain but look, the elites can't even camp let alone grow anything, they're hosed eventually.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

So, all we need to do to get the rich into the gulags is have Kendall Jenner and Ja Rule advertise #GulagFest. Going through the #FyreFest on Twitter and seeing all the rich kids throwing temper tantrums about being mocked by poor people for their idiocy and acting like this is the greatest crime against humanity ever committed us top tier schadenfreude btw.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

EmptyVessel posted:

Had to share this:
A complete “s--t show”
Rich millennials paid thousands for Ja Rule's Fyre Fest and are now stranded on an island in disaster-relief tents

It's not Britain but look, the elites can't even camp let alone grow anything, they're hosed eventually.

Rich white people spending thousands to travel to a safe, exciting, fun country just to be stuck in camps in terrible conditions, then forcefully sent back to where they came from?

Its a work of artistic genius.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Rich white people spending thousands to travel to a safe, exciting, fun country just to be stuck in camps in terrible conditions, then forcefully sent back to where they came from?

Its a work of artistic genius.

That's so good I might have to steal it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Preferably without the "...forcefully sent back to where they came from" part.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Tigey posted:

Ronya.txt

it's leftie The Economist, basically, yeah. It is explicitly run on a certain kind of conceit. There's also the older Dissent magazine and n+1, in increasing order of artsy pretension.

I feel like the quality of Jacobin has been slipping slowly - it's run on submissions, which I suppose avoids the Yglesias problem where a regular columnist takes the political direction of the column away from what was intended (also: much cheaper). But it also means that it needs to do more gruntwork weeding out the crappy submissions. It doesn't seem to have the editorial labour to do it - it has the EIU problem of trying to build credibility as an international observer but where its regional thinkpieces are a bit off. Letting Chavist agitprop through the gate is only the most egregious example.

ronya fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 29, 2017

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I quite like the London and New York Review of Books.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Baron Corbyn posted:

So, all we need to do to get the rich into the gulags is have Kendall Jenner and Ja Rule advertise #GulagFest. Going through the #FyreFest on Twitter and seeing all the rich kids throwing temper tantrums about being mocked by poor people for their idiocy and acting like this is the greatest crime against humanity ever committed us top tier schadenfreude btw.

It's kinda funny but mainly it's just a depressing reminder that these people exist. In a couple of days they'll all be back home and still be exactly the same idiot rich kids with millions of people hanging on their every tweet.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jabby posted:

Labour really have walked all over the Tories at campaigning, I'm pretty shocked. Even the fact that they have decisively picked one issue per day and trailed it to the media the night before is a welcome improvement.
Did you perhaps sleep through the 2015 election? Labour aren't doing well, they're repeating all of Ed Miliband's mistakes and failures. He too had new policy announcements and daily issues to talk about (and received some favourable coverage as a result from bored hacks) while David Cameron spent his time doing carefully stage-managed events away from the general public and endlessly repeating a few soundbites - "long-term economic plan" and all that - until everyone who followed politics on a day-to-day basis was thoroughly sick and tired of them. The thing is, the campaign isn't for persuading people who follow politics on a daily basis - almost by definition, anyone who is that engaged with politics will have decided how to vote long before the campaign begins and won't be open to changing their mind unless their preferred candidate self-destructs spectacularly like Francois Fillon did in the French elections. The campaign period is for persuading people who don't spend a lot of time thinking about or discussing politics and maybe only really pay attention to what the candidates and parties are saying on a few occasions during the campaign. For those people, the Tory campaigning style means they see Cameron/May talking three or four times, talking about the importance of "strong and stable leadership" or the "long-term economic plan" every single time. "OK," they think, "the Tories are offering strong and stable leadership/a long-term economic plan." They also see Miliband/Corbyn three or four times, saying something or other about housing the first time, then something or other about the NHS, then something or other about chatting to a nice chap named Gareth, and the end result is that Labour looks like it doesn't really know what it stands for or what it intends to do. Also, it's led by a bloke who looks a bit like a plasticine cartoon character or a laughable old duffer who loves him some terrorisms.

And then they go off to vote Conservative.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Did you perhaps sleep through the 2015 election? Labour aren't doing well, they're repeating all of Ed Miliband's mistakes and failures. He too had new policy announcements and daily issues to talk about (and received some favourable coverage as a result from bored hacks) while David Cameron spent his time doing carefully stage-managed events away from the general public and endlessly repeating a few soundbites - "long-term economic plan" and all that - until everyone who followed politics on a day-to-day basis was thoroughly sick and tired of them. The thing is, the campaign isn't for persuading people who follow politics on a daily basis - almost by definition, anyone who is that engaged with politics will have decided how to vote long before the campaign begins and won't be open to changing their mind unless their preferred candidate self-destructs spectacularly like Francois Fillon did in the French elections. The campaign period is for persuading people who don't spend a lot of time thinking about or discussing politics and maybe only really pay attention to what the candidates and parties are saying on a few occasions during the campaign. For those people, the Tory campaigning style means they see Cameron/May talking three or four times, talking about the importance of "strong and stable leadership" or the "long-term economic plan" every single time. "OK," they think, "the Tories are offering strong and stable leadership/a long-term economic plan." They also see Miliband/Corbyn three or four times, saying something or other about housing the first time, then something or other about the NHS, then something or other about chatting to a nice chap named Gareth, and the end result is that Labour looks like it doesn't really know what it stands for or what it intends to do. Also, it's led by a bloke who looks a bit like a plasticine cartoon character or a laughable old duffer who loves him some terrorisms.

And then they go off to vote Conservative.

So...what? Are you suggesting that since the dawn of Lynton Crosby all campaigning is now dead except avoiding the public at all costs while spewing meaningless soundbites? Do you think Labour should simply copy that style and remove all discussion of policy from the election because campaigning on the issues is now a 'mistake'?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Some people are just really invested in the narrative of 'Labour cannot win'. Which as it seems to be a universal constant, completely absolves Corbyn.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Labour are not going to win, though. They just aren't

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Lemondrizzle is right - the Tories aren't doing badly, they're doing exactly what they intend to do.

I don't think it matters what labour do while the current leadership is in place.

This election was lost months ago.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I like the part where the left, the people on the grass roots especially, and the press, who are supposed to be election campaigning are still arguing over who should be in charge and are winning the election for the conservatives.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

learnincurve posted:

I like the part where the left, the people on the grass roots especially, and the press, who are supposed to be election campaigning are still arguing over who should be in charge and are winning the election for the conservatives.

:qq: but I'm just a voter and that entitles me to complain endlessly about my situation while absolving me from the sins of doing gently caress all but whinge :qq:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

What, you think that Pissflaps and lemondrizzle are leftists?

I'm also curious about what exactly better leadership actually means if an effective campaign means repeating two talking points.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'm also curious about what exactly better leadership actually means if an effective campaign means repeating two talking points.

Leadership needs to be Strong & Stable, didn't you know?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

Leadership needs to be Strong & Stable, didn't you know?

Much like campaigning, it seems.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Some people are just really invested in the narrative of 'Labour cannot win'. Which as it seems to be a universal constant, completely absolves Corbyn.

But Corbyn is less popular than his party?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jabby posted:

So...what? Are you suggesting that since the dawn of Lynton Crosby all campaigning is now dead except avoiding the public at all costs while spewing meaningless soundbites? Do you think Labour should simply copy that style and remove all discussion of policy from the election because campaigning on the issues is now a 'mistake'?
No, I'm saying Labour is doing a bad job of communicating its message to voters who don't pay a lot of attention, while the Tories are doing comparatively well at communicating theirs. Being able to sell your message in a single sentence or a couple of minutes to voters who aren't paying close attention isn't the be-all and end-all of campaigning, but it's a very important part and has been for a long time. Labour sucked at it in 2015 and are sucking at it now.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The continuing adventures of Gideon and his raging Class A addiction sees him attempting to connect with the youth of the country

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/858087321811521539

Does this man ever look like he's not on drugs?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

DesperateDan posted:

:qq: but I'm just a voter and that entitles me to complain endlessly about my situation while absolving me from the sins of doing gently caress all but whinge :qq:

It absolutely does. Yes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Note that Tory campaigning isn't complete vacuous - there are policies and they are very well targeted in audience and time, see: brexit referendum, pension triple lock, no NI rise (lets not talk about whether those were wise or good, they were popular).

I also don't think we've seen the end of negative campaigning. I think that Crosby will be very happy to let Labour spend the next few weeks in a fruitless attempt to rehabilitate Corbyn in the eyes of the public, and then in the last couple of weeks there will be a barrage of it. There won't be anything new, but I suspect there will be relentless reminders that Corbyn has taken money from Russia and Iran to appear on their propaganda channels and has said things about the IRA and Hamas that nobody who wanted to be PM would ever say, and I think in an election that's going to come down to 'who do you think will best stand up for Britain' that's going to be devastating.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The IRA are good. gently caress the Queen.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jabby posted:

It is an established theory that the 'average voter' thinks about politics for around 4 minutes per day during an election cycle. This is why the endless 'Long term economic plan/Strong and stable leadership' bollocks happens. Because if you only enter the brain of an average voter for 4 minutes you need to effectively communicate your position in that time period.

Now for people in this thread, and the wider world of people far more engaged in politics than the average person we can clearly see how stage managed and repetitive this gets and rightly mock it. But there is a reason sound byte culture exists. Now we can be happy that polling is showing that people are realising this time around, after so many elections so close together the pattern is becoming obvious and its not having quite the effect before.

More to the point journalists are loving bored of it and are calling it out themselves. See all the 'How many times has May said strong and stable' pieces lately.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

The IRA are good. gently caress the Queen.

Are you Jeremy's new campaign manager?

serious gaylord posted:

Now we can be happy that polling is showing that people are realising this time around, after so many elections so close together the pattern is becoming obvious and its not having quite the effect before.

Is it?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Are you Jeremy's new campaign manager?

Yes. Oh ah up the ra.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I know two things about this election, the conservatives are aiming for a strong and stable future and pissflaps hates Corbyn.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

learnincurve posted:

I know two things about this election, the conservatives are aiming for a strong and stable future and pissflaps hates Corbyn.

I don't hate him. I think he's a bad labour leader.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
There was a good opinion piece from a French lady in the Guardian:

"Macron’s ascendency could encourage those in Britain who would like to see another path open up. One that would help counter the kind of narrative deployed by May; one that could soften Brexit. A left-leaning Labour offers little solace in that regard. The best antidote seems to be a confident centre, one built on pragmatic, moral, optimistic beliefs, and, as we see in France, rich in potential. If Macron prevails on 7 May, the immediate effect of his centre revolution will probably be felt in France. But its most important effect should be to galvanise like minds abroad, and certainly here."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/28/macron-rise-extremism-not-inevitable-le-pen-france

Seems that France may be about to teach Britain a lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Marcon is just a french David Cameron.

• Locked thread