Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Gort posted:

If that's a problem, can't you just throw a few more waves of enemies at them?

Yeah. I was a little wary about doing that in Shadowrun since overloading the encounter on enemies can be unfairly deadly. The fourth person in that game was a decker, and his character actually hosed up a Full Defense roll and wound up getting punched so hard by a boss that the character's entire Stun track was filled up. If I'd made the melee attacks for the bass do Physical, the decker would've been a red smear on the wall.

D&D is obviously a bit different, and once I see how the party acts as a cohesive unit, I'll have a better idea what I can and can't throw at them to challenge them. The taclord and paladin are both seasoned vets of D&D, and so is Lightning Lord. The ranger has played a couple games, and this will be the psion's first D&D game, I believe. But once everyone is accustomed to their characters, I should be able to present them with bigger and bigger challenges.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Warlord reminds me of a minor mechanics question that came up last time:

Bravura Warlord can let allies gamble when they spend an action point: if they hit with the AP attack, they can make an MBA as a free action.
Barbarian has a feature: when he drops an enemy to 0 HP, he can charge.
The situation: Barbarian spends an AP, takes the Warlord's gamble, hits and drops the enemy to 0 HP. No other enemy is in melee range. He charges a different enemy and asks if he can make the Warlord's granted MBA after the charge. I rule no, the Warlord's granted MBA is lost, because if you can insert one other action between trigger and free action MBA you could insert as many as you want and in theory take the granted MBA one round later or two or in another fight altogether.
Accurate? More to the point: fair? We get things wrong with these new characters all the time.

We had this come up a couple times in the 4e game I just finished playing in. We had a Bravura warlord, and there were a couple times where someone would spend AP and that attack was fatal, and our GM ruled the same: you can't "store" the MBA. It has to be used at that moment, and for some reason, I am thinking the Bravura bonus action only applies to the same target you're attacking in the first place.

Skypie fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Don't you only get one free action attack per turn?

The full text of Bravura says you can take an MBA OR a move action as a free action, so basically tell them to just take another move action if they drop it to 0. And for the Rageblood Barbarian, I guess he gets to move AND charge. Which is sick and badass.

Bravura Presence: "When an ally who can see you spends an action point to take an extra action and uses the action to make an attack, the ally can choose to take advantage of this feature before the attack roll. If the ally chooses to do so and the attack hits, the ally can either make a basic attack or take a move action after the attack as a free action. If the attack misses, the ally grants combat advantage to all enemies until the end of his or her next turn."

Edit: I edited this damned post like 5 times in a minute.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 16, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mecha Gojira posted:

Don't you only get one free action attack per turn?
Knew I was missing something to resolve that question so much easier and with less grumbling. Both are free actions, checks out. Cheers.

Skypie posted:

It has to be used at that moment, and for some reason, I am thinking the Bravura bonus action only applies to the same target you're attacking in the first place.
Nope, it just says "make an MBA", no target specified. But you can take a move action instead of making an attack, presumably for just this case.

e: we did miss the "after the attack" part too vvv

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 16, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The actual rules text is pretty clear.

quote:

When an ally who can see you spends an action point to take an extra action and uses the action to make an attack, the ally can choose to take advantage of this feature before the attack roll. If the ally chooses to do so and the attack hits, the ally can either make a basic attack or take a move action after the attack as a free action.

The MBA/move happens directly after the attack. If the attack killed the target and nothing else is in range of a MBA, he has to take the move instead (or do nothing, obviously).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hi there!

I'm brand new to 4e, and just looking for some guidance on building an effective controller that will likely not go past level 3 in this one-shot. I've been looking at a Binder (Gloom), but I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics to know how valuable it is to move people or grant combat advantage or whatever.

The link to class guides in the OP has sadly been killed by WotC, so I hope this isn't too basic a question for the thread!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Hi there!

I'm brand new to 4e, and just looking for some guidance on building an effective controller that will likely not go past level 3 in this one-shot. I've been looking at a Binder (Gloom), but I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics to know how valuable it is to move people or grant combat advantage or whatever.

The link to class guides in the OP has sadly been killed by WotC, so I hope this isn't too basic a question for the thread!

You're playing at a low enough level that you shouldn't really be concerned with much beyond some basic chargen decisions (like making sure your primary stat is highest so you can hit things), but Binder is one of the few lovely classes in 4e. Controller sorta has two objectives, as a role; clear Minions (an enemy type with only 1 hp) with aoe and/or oppress enemies with debilitating effects (stun/daze to hurt action economy, blind to make them lovely at attacking, etc). Binder is bad at both these and unlike the Bladesinger (another bad controller) it doesn't really have mechanics that lend it to another role (Bladesinger can be built as a burst-y striker).

The two gold-standard controllers are Wizard (Mage if you're working with Essentials only) and Invoker; for the levels you're looking at, Hunter would also be fine. The original Warlock (which the Binder is based on), despite being a striker/having striker mechanics, has a powerset that tends to involve a lot of control effects, so that may also interest you. There are other controllers but figured I'd throw those out there for now; feel free to keep posting whatever questions.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Hate to do this to a new player, but Binders are one of the worst classes in 4e, and one of only a couple that people will tell you to avoid completely.

You can likely do much of what you're looking to do with just a regular Warlock. Sure, it says Striker on the tin, but many of their powers are pretty Controller-y.

Alternately, Wizard got a shitload of support over the lifespan of 4e, so it's always a top tier choice for Controller.

Here's the new location of the Warlock Guide. They had to be relocated when WotC took down their forums a few years back.

As an example of how unpopular the Binder was, it doesn't look like its handbook was saved in the same way.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My group is 28th level now. I never actually thought I'd run an Epic game, but here we are.

The biggest surprise, for me, is that things aren't that crazy different from when they were high Paragon. The complexity and length of combats hasn't changed much since then. There's some really killer special effects going on, and they can still do some pretty startling things, but nothing has been entirely game-breaking so far.

However, I'm looking ahead to Level 30. We'll be there for 1-1/3 adventures. Those Epic capstone abilities are kind of uh ... epic. Particularly Planeshaper and Unyielding Sentinel, I'd say.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

dwarf74 posted:

My group is 28th level now. I never actually thought I'd run an Epic game, but here we are.

The biggest surprise, for me, is that things aren't that crazy different from when they were high Paragon. The complexity and length of combats hasn't changed much since then. There's some really killer special effects going on, and they can still do some pretty startling things, but nothing has been entirely game-breaking so far.

However, I'm looking ahead to Level 30. We'll be there for 1-1/3 adventures. Those Epic capstone abilities are kind of uh ... epic. Particularly Planeshaper and Unyielding Sentinel, I'd say.

Still doing Zeitgeist? How is that wrapping up for you?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Hi there!

If you want a controller that's fairly easy to run out of the box and effective without having to worry about if you are doing the most you possibly can, that would generally be Invoker (easiest) or Wizard (ignore the feature that gives you additional dailies you can switch out; you will never need this and if you are using a builder you may as well not pick them).

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Go Illusionist Mage with Enlarge spell and Superior Implement Proficiency: Crystal Orb. Then take the tax feats: Orb Expertise, Unarmored Agility/Armor Proficiency: Leather, Improved Defenses, Improved Initiative, Dual Implement Spellcaster, depending on how many free feats you get (they hand out a lot here). For powers just take anything that does psychic damage: Winged Horde, Twilight Falls, Phantom Chasm, Color Spray. Easiest most effective controller I've ever played.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

but I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics to know how valuable it is to move people or grant combat advantage or whatever.
Moving is good if you know what positioning is useful. Move enemies between two allies to let them flank, move them closer to the defender, away from the ranged characters, or move enemies closer together to set them up for an area attack. Most likely your own.

The most useful thing in 4E is robbing the enemy of actions. Anything that stuns is great. Anything that dazes is good. Penalties to attack or defenses are also very nice.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mordiceius posted:

Still doing Zeitgeist? How is that wrapping up for you?
Quite outstanding, still, as far as structure and overall quality goes. The end is in sight; we're on Chapter 1 of Adventure 12. I expect we'll polish it off by the end of the year.

As time goes on, though, I find myself needing/wanting to fix more 4e stuff - it's clear the adventure at this stage was being written primarily for PF and then converted to 4e. So it's assuming a number of capabilities for the party (like, party-wide flight and quick/easy teleportation) that don't exist.

Monster stat blocks vary from "awesome!" to "solid idea, but needs polishing" Some encounters are too easy/boring, and I've needed to tweak them. (See below for a MAJOR one.) Also I switched to 1st Level Damage Forever calculations, and would encourage everyone to do the same at higher levels. That increases my workload, but it's been worth it.

As for the overall success of the mission so far ... I am probably too nice a DM by half, and I've probably prodded them in various directions without noticing it. But they've stuck really, really close to the 'assumed' structure, and have so far succeeded at every major goal. They've killed off a few NPCs here or there, which is causing some minor rewrites, but other than that it's been a coherent tale from start to finish.

They are also looking forward to creating this new world they're going to be building, icon by icon, and setting our next campaign in it. So this could be seen as basically 3 years of world-building and prelude, if you want to look at it that way. :D

I am also not 100% sold on the "climax helix" structure that joins Adventures 12 & 13. I will give it a shot, and hope it makes some degree of sense.

As for the major encounters that needed tweaked... The biggest one is from Adventure 9 and it still bugs me. The king is way too hard to assassinate. I think just cutting his HPs in half is probably a good enough start, verisimilitude be damned. Also, have Lya Jierre show up to do the dirty work. If you have a half-competent Defender in the party, he will almost definitely survive, and half of Adventure 10 simply won't work. (Well, unless Aodhan steps down at that point, which ... why would he do that?)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

they are still available on archive.org, just copy-paste the link

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cease to Hope posted:

they are still available on archive.org, just copy-paste the link
Or just download all the charop guides and keep 'em locally!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9qwm-rNX9YEMThmN3FrOHE1Skk

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
A bunch are also on ENWorld, some of which are actually still getting the occasional update (the monk one primarily I think?)

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Most of the stuff that has been saved to ENWorld can be found from here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks! I'm looking at Invoker now, but also Wild Shape Druid. I was worried that the latter might be a little mechanically involved for a new player, but it looks workable. There's a certain amount of complexity inherent in being a controller anyway, I suppose!

Thoughts on Wilden Wild Shape Druid? I'm reading the EN guide, and it seems reasonable.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the players in my campaign (level 11 right now) is a wilden druid. He settled on that race and class combo because he thought they kind of looked cat-like and he really likes cats.

He's enjoying the race and class, but keeping track of which of three racial powers he's got prepared is a pain. He definitely favours the aggressive, damage-dealing wildshape stuff (again, dude really likes cats and being a cat) over spellcasting and summoning, but his various dazes are still really strong with how much proning the party has. Just make sure the druid can get claw gloves early, or else their wildshape will never really do proper damage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, this is a level 1 one shot, so I'm not sure I'll be getting the gloves.

Q: with the errata, I'm able to use any powers in beast mode except implement/weapon (unless those are tagged beast mode) -- is that right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Double, but:

Is there a complete 4e character builder out there? Hero Lab only knows about Wild Shape Druids, Character Builder doesn't have Wilden, the JavaScript one doesn't let me pick bonus feats (which my DM is graciously providing).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Double, but:

Is there a complete 4e character builder out there? Hero Lab only knows about Wild Shape Druids, Character Builder doesn't have Wilden, the JavaScript one doesn't let me pick bonus feats (which my DM is graciously providing).

CBLoader modifies the old WotC offline character builder, you'll have access to everything if you get the right .part files.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Generic Octopus posted:

CBLoader modifies the old WotC offline character builder, you'll have access to everything if you get the right .part files.

Yeah, it puked on decrypting something. :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, it puked on decrypting something. :(
It can behave badly if it's in a location that Windows protects. I suggest installing to somewhere like c:\games\wotc

Let me know if you need the files.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dwarf74 posted:

It can behave badly if it's in a location that Windows protects. I suggest installing to somewhere like c:\games\wotc

Let me know if you need the files.

Yeah, no dice. I'd love the files!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, no dice. I'd love the files!

Same here, I'd love to keep a backup in case I ever want to run 4 again instead of Strike!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Is there a decent place to find games, or anyone here looking for players? Me and a friend are looking for a live game to join (preferably not starting from level 1), and there's just not a lot of people who'll run 4e in our circle of friends. It's not all we'd play, but it's where we're looking first.

dwarf74 posted:

Also I switched to 1st Level Damage Forever calculations, and would encourage everyone to do the same at higher levels. That increases my workload, but it's been worth it.

What's 1st level damage forever?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gharbad the Weak posted:

What's 1st level damage forever?

http://dmg42.blogspot.com.ar/2012/02/boot-on-face-of-level-1-damage-forever.html

http://dmg42.blogspot.com.ar/2012/03/damage-adjustment-follow-up-nightmare.html

Basically, some guy ran the math on monster damage versus player HP counts and found that monster damage, even using Monster Manual 3 calculations, still scales slower than player HP, such that the game literally gets easier* as you go up in level.

That series of posts discusses a new set of damage value calculations so that monsters will always deal damage equal to a proportion of a player's health similar to how lethal they were at level 1, while "Nightmare Mode" actually makes the monsters more lethal by the numbers as you go up in levels.

* as opposed to virtually getting easier, in the sense that players already acquire more special abilities as they go up in level, so even if the damage levels remained the same, it should still become easier as the characters become more capable, adaptable, versatile, specialized.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It's been a legitimate improvement to my game. It keeps the pressure on the PCs, when they're doing crazy bullshit like Inspiring Word healing 2 characters at once.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Is there a decent place to find games, or anyone here looking for players? Me and a friend are looking for a live game to join (preferably not starting from level 1), and there's just not a lot of people who'll run 4e in our circle of friends. It's not all we'd play, but it's where we're looking first.

You might have some luck in the Live Game Contact thread, although I think that's more for local, in-person games. Otherwise I'd like to know the same, honestly. :v:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Same. I check up on Roll20 ads from time to time, but the odd 4e game advertised invariably has some weird dealbreaker for me. Every Roll20 GM either wants to run a 20-person campaign of nothing but arena fights, is obsessed with critical failures on attack rolls, or has a three-paragraph "no SJWs" opening spiel (and God help you if you think anyone knows what the words "feat tax" or "inherent bonus" means). I've been running a game of my own for nearly two years now, but I'd really like to just play a character in a reliable game.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 29, 2017

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://dmg42.blogspot.com.ar/2012/02/boot-on-face-of-level-1-damage-forever.html

http://dmg42.blogspot.com.ar/2012/03/damage-adjustment-follow-up-nightmare.html

Basically, some guy ran the math on monster damage versus player HP counts and found that monster damage, even using Monster Manual 3 calculations, still scales slower than player HP, such that the game literally gets easier* as you go up in level.

That series of posts discusses a new set of damage value calculations so that monsters will always deal damage equal to a proportion of a player's health similar to how lethal they were at level 1, while "Nightmare Mode" actually makes the monsters more lethal by the numbers as you go up in levels.

I've been using Level 1 Damage Forever in my 9 player dungeon crawly campaign and even with all the healing / damage mitigation a party that size can put out they still end up on the floor regularly. Lots of wincing when I roll damage dice although I've not come close to actually killing anyone yet.

Also I asked for advice on running a big table a while back and I think a lot of responses were (sensibly) "don't". I didn't go that way.

In fairness so far we've only had one session with all nine players, but it went extremely well, with two combats and a bit of exploration over around 3 hours. I've been letting the players handle things like the initiative order and basic rules queries among themselves (I only step in when a ruling's needed), though it does help that we have another DM and players who know the rules forwards and backwards among the group.

I'd say that the weakness of big parties is that everyone needs to be okay with their time in the spotlight being very short as it'll whip to someone else almost immediately. This means that things like creative descriptions of what characters are doing suffer a bit, especially in combat. I've also kept puzzle solving as limited as possible, although a combat puzzle where they had to assemble a bell, book and candle to complete a ritual and lay to rest an otherwise unstoppable undead warrior went down pretty well.

Also to allow for open-ended exploration without my prep time ballooning, I've been putting a vote on our facebook group about what section of the dungeon they want to explore next. This means that for any individual session they're slightly rail-roaded, but they can change direction between sessions. So far the choices have been fairly limited but it's working okay for the moment. We'll see how it goes once they open up more areas.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Otherwise I'd like to know the same, honestly. :v:

What timezones y'all at? I'm Central, my friend is Eastern.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

The Crotch posted:

Same. I check up on Roll20 ads from time to time, but the odd 4e game advertised invariably has some weird dealbreaker for me. Every Roll20 GM either wants to run a 20-person campaign of nothing but arena fights, is obsessed with critical failures on attack rolls, or has a three-paragraph "no SJWs" opening spiel (and God help you if you think anyone knows what the words "feat tax" or "inherent bonus" means). I've been running a game of my own for nearly two years now, but I'd really like to just play a character in a reliable game.

When I was recruiting friends for my game, someone was telling me my setting doesn't have enough grimdark racism and I should remedy that by making it a Witcher-style game in which only humans were playable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Quick character check before I play tonight?

Wilden Druid (original)
Wilden +1 Reflex

S 12
D 13
C 16
I 11
W 18
C 10

At-wills:
- Grasping Tide
- Fire Hawk
- Savage Rend

Encounter:
- Thorn Spray

Daily:
- Summon Giant loving Toad

Skills: Nature, Insight, Perception, Athletics

Feats: Staff Expertise (Bonus: Versatile Expertise, Improved Defenses)

-------------

I thought about going Controller for Nature's Growth, but I want to change into a bear to emphasize sentences, and being a summoner seemed more fiddly than I wanted to start.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Be aware that named bonuses don't stack with other bonuses of the same name (i.e. feat bonus, power bonus, item bonus, etc.), so that staff expertise just gives you the OA protection. Is your DM giving out a free expertise, or free Versatile Expertise specifically? Because you don't really need both.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm, he said Versatile but I'll ask. It's probably not worth it for OA protection and reach 1, yeah.

Any other recommendations in its place?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Gah I'm <10 books from completing my 4e collection in hardcover. Any goons wanna sell me theirs?

In other news, I was reading the Balor stat block yesterday, and noticed a wording that I wasn't sure about in it's Beheading Blade statblock.
As that reads, do I roll 5d12+14 lightning damage on a hit, and just give 100 damage on a crit, or does the crit actually ROLL the 3d12+74? Crits maximise the dice normally right? I can't find anything that states otherwise, but it seems odd that they've worded it like that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
If you maximized 5d12 + 14 you get 74. So the balor maximizes damage on a crit like every other monster, but is ALSO effectively wielding a +3 vicious weapon and gets bonus damage dice on its crits the way PCs do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Spiteski posted:

In other news, I was reading the Balor stat block yesterday, and noticed a wording that I wasn't sure about in it's Beheading Blade statblock.
As that reads, do I roll 5d12+14 lightning damage on a hit, and just give 100 damage on a crit, or does the crit actually ROLL the 3d12+74? Crits maximise the dice normally right? I can't find anything that states otherwise, but it seems odd that they've worded it like that.

You roll. 74 is the max roll of 5d12+14.