Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KingShibby posted:

Really enjoyed the Buxton article, he makes some amazing points

Best of her tweets

https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/857967635732066304

I mean I've seen some pretty egregious eating habits in the media center, but nothing like that. Just more fake news

https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/857979841114767360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

I've attended over 20 IndyCar race/testing events over the last 2+ seasons, and I can't recall ever seeing Jenna anywhere so I guess she wouldn't be saving the AP much money

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KingShibby posted:

I've attended over 20 IndyCar race/testing events over the last 2+ seasons, and I can't recall ever seeing Jenna anywhere so I guess she wouldn't be saving the AP much money

AP doesnt care anyways about motor racing if Jenna is writing for them.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Yes noted Indycar Fan Jenna "whats the indy 500" Fryer.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Cygni posted:

im starting to change my mind about alonso running the 500 if only because its caused these worst threaders to escape the containment zone

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Indycar - welp we kinda need to look at driver protection

F1- welp we looked at it but like killing guys instead, ok cya

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Racing is good race fans are bad

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Racing is good race fans are bad

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Peanut President posted:

Yes noted Indycar Fan Jenna "whats the indy 500" Fryer.

I liked how she claimed to not have read Will's article but still went on a huge twitter freakout over it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

She's annoying the hell out of me.

The finger wagging down at IndyCar is annoying as hell. "HOW COME THE INDY 500 IS THE ONLY BIG RACE IN INDYCAR", "WHY CAN'T IT BE MORE LIKE NASCAR" that and the other passive aggressive lovely arguments that we've heard come from :911: sports writers since 1992 or so. (Gordon Kirby article in RACER in '92, ESPN doing a "IT'S OVERRATED" segment in the early 2000's, etc).

Like I get it if yiou're a guy like Viking or Robin Miller going "Yeah they need more ovals and to have a ladder from dirt track". Generally that's coming from a place of sincerity, and just kinda wanting to rebuild that bridge that got burnt down and pissed on many-a-time. (Plus Dirt Track racing is awesome and even 'Nando said as much when he took the Andretti shop tour)

But it's just this constant pissing and moaning about TV ratings, and how NASCAR promotes itself.

Both series are fine for what they are. She needs to stop with this nonsense that you're going to be able to clone Cup in the form of the IndyCar series.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, I think that the Chase (:haw:) for ratings needs to die. Focus on keeping your current fans, then make new ones.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IndyCar is in a weirdly great position, I think, because their ratings aren't great, and their TV deals aren't particularly massive, which means they might be one of the first major sports "leagues" (in the US, at least) to make the jump to their own streaming service. Obviously the 500 needs a broadcast network deal, but otherwise put everything on an IndyCar app, broadcast every session without ads, include Indy Lights, old races, etc. I'd pay for that in a heartbeat.

wicka fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 28, 2017

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Grand Prix of Long Beach is a big race. :colbert:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

Grand Prix of Long Beach is a big race. :colbert:

Attendance wise? Indy car HAS big races.

St. Pete, Barber, Long Beach (like you mentioned), Toronto, Road America, Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio, etc. To IndyCar's credit? They've gone back to a lot of markets that love them rather than trying to jam races like China and Boston down people's throats. (Cleveland, Portland are still missing though...:smith:).

What Fryer doesn't understand is that historically? This has always been the case. IndyCar ratings tv wise have always been historically "bad", but they always made up for it with Indy getting a poo poo ton of attention, good attendence and the sport being subsidized by Marlboro up until the late 2000's.

It's really not difficult to understand.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

wicka posted:

IndyCar is in a weirdly great position, I think, because their ratings aren't great, and their TV deals aren't particularly massive, which means they might be one of the first major sports "leagues" (in the US, at least) to make the jump to their own streaming service. Obviously the 500 needs a broadcast network deal, but otherwise put everything on an IndyCar app, broadcast every session without ads, include Indy Lights, old races, etc. I'd pay for that in a heartbeat.

This isn't going to happen. Sports leagues that already offer a domestic paid streaming service for their games, like MLB or the NHL, have hundreds and hundreds of games to make the economics work. Indycar only has 17 races. I don't foresee a scenario where Indycar gets more money by catering to its fanbase and missing out on TV network money. There may be less money for TV nowadays, but Indycar being on the upswing, it having the Indy 500, and live sports still being the golden goose of TV would give the series good leverage.

The biggest indicator of the direction that Indycar is going is what they negotiate once the TV deal expires at the end of the 2018 season. The goal should be to get more money for the same amount of coverage, or better coverage (more races on broadcast) for the same amount of money. Anything less than that would be disappointing. You could very well see Indycar doing something where international markets have the option to pay for the season, like V8 Supercars or whatnot. But I'll eat my hat (:toxx:) if they move ANY race to online-streaming only.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah the deal they signed with Versus was a turd, but it's still far more money than they'll make on a standalone streamlined no service. Racing fans are generally pretty old, which makes online streaming an even worse idea.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

This isn't going to happen. Sports leagues that already offer a domestic paid streaming service for their games, like MLB or the NHL, have hundreds and hundreds of games to make the economics work. Indycar only has 17 races. I don't foresee a scenario where Indycar gets more money by catering to its fanbase and missing out on TV network money. There may be less money for TV nowadays, but Indycar being on the upswing, it having the Indy 500, and live sports still being the golden goose of TV would give the series good leverage.

The biggest indicator of the direction that Indycar is going is what they negotiate once the TV deal expires at the end of the 2018 season. The goal should be to get more money for the same amount of coverage, or better coverage (more races on broadcast) for the same amount of money. Anything less than that would be disappointing. You could very well see Indycar doing something where international markets have the option to pay for the season, like V8 Supercars or whatnot. But I'll eat my hat (:toxx:) if they move ANY race to online-streaming only.

I'll eat every hat in the entire world if a sports league signs a TV rights deal for more money in 2018.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Also, none of this requires going streaming ONLY, just that IndyCar reserves streaming rights and allows anyone anywhere to sign up for a service that allows them to watch every race, independent of a cable subscription.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

attendance is the lifeblood of the series outside of the 500. the series really needs to continue to support/groom their promoters to offer as much on track action as possible, and as much off track expo/hospitality area as possible, to maximize them and ensure that they are successful long term.

conversely, the series needs to do everything it can to get the 500 as much high quality TV coverage as they can get. aka, please fuckin fire goodyear and cheever. some teams make more than 2/3rds of their yearly advertising revenue at the 500.

im hopeful that the slight uptick in TV viewers, solid uptick in attendance, solid uptick in internal industry attention, and big cost cuts coming next year will keep the series as successful as its been the last few years. there are still too many blank sidepods and we could use 2-5 more full time cars, so there is still work to be done.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Were green for a 2 hour practice at Phoenix, video feed is up:

http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id0S8Db6ZT8

e: Sandstorm caution (????) ha

Cygni fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 29, 2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah it's been windy as poo poo all day here.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

wicka posted:

Also, none of this requires going streaming ONLY, just that IndyCar reserves streaming rights and allows anyone anywhere to sign up for a service that allows them to watch every race, independent of a cable subscription.

Right, but also have to consider that broadcast networks are also interested in streaming rights. ESPN3, Fox Sports Go, NBCSN's streaming, etc. There's no need for Indycar to do it if someone else is OK with paying for the rights or adding it as a kicker to land a better TV broadcast deal, i.e. put one more race on broadcast TV if you give them streaming rights on their platform.

There are a lot of moving parts to broadcast deals now that networks have sports channels and streaming platforms. You say that there's no way Indycar is going to get more money, but like I said they could get the same amount of money, or even less money, but if that means having more races on NBC or FOX (or ABC, lol) then it's a win.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

There's no need for Indycar to do it if someone else is OK with paying for the rights

Wrong. The need is that none of these networks do it in a way that's greater than simply being secondary to a cable package. It's just the TV broadcast on their app, and you sign in with your cable credentials. The way IndyCar should do it would be a standalone service, totally unrelated to any cable package, commercial free, includes broadcasts of every session and the junior series, plus any historical races they could get their hands on. There's absolutely value in this, people are already doing it. And as Cygni touched on, attendance and viewership is more important than whatever pitiful TV rights deals they can land. So long as this is done side-by-side with a cable broadcast, there's no way they're going to do anything but gain viewers.

This is almost unquestionably the future anyway, there is no need whatsoever for channels to exist in the long-term, it's just a matter of someone making the leap and proving it can be done.

tldr the networks do a bad job of covering races and they do it in a way that leaves viewers and money on the table

wicka fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 29, 2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Slightly related, but I still wish Verizon would allow pay access to the good parts of their app for people that are not on their network.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's juuuust a bit dusty outside. I'm regularly getting pelted from pebbles carried on the winds. Glad tomorrow should not be like this.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Bentai posted:

It's juuuust a bit dusty outside.

Just put the sand tires on the cars, it'll be fine.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/indycar/status/858115913199087617

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Conor and his dad are having similar careers.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Continuing to cater to the unlucky 13 is the only thing that makes it perceived as unlucky. It's the 13th spot, Indycar. Scott Dixon will be fine. Or maybe he'll crash. Unlucky number 12a?!?!?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wind seems to be dropping down a bit, should make qualifying quicker.

Only downside is I pulled up to the track pretty late today, but I still figured there would be people showing up later for qualifying. There's not a single car parked behind me.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Allen Bestwick was also released by ESPN. His last assignment for ESPN will be Detroit:

https://twitter.com/AllenBestwick/status/858126592576454656

Does this pretty much seal up that IndyCar/ESPN/the 500's time together are coming to an end?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Only downside is I pulled up to the track pretty late today, but I still figured there would be people showing up later for qualifying. There's not a single car parked behind me.
I saw a lot of people hitting the gates to leave after the only Indy practice. Best guess I say there's maybe 100-150 people in the stands right now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Punch and Bestwick are no brainer pickups, but i would say that about Varsha too and i dont think hes doing any major announcing?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Punch and Bestwick are no brainer pickups, but i would say that about Varsha too and i dont think hes doing any major announcing?

I think Varsha pretty much decided to retire.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Varsha/Matchett/Hobbs forever :smith:

Those guys single-handedly made the awful 2004 F1 season watchable.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Those guys single-handedly made the awful 2004 F1 season watchable.

I'm going to have "THAT'S TIMO GLOCK!" engraved on my tombstone.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Bob/Benny/Ned also forever :smith:

Who would we put in Indy's best commentary booth? Paul Page and who else?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Quals starting now, Chunk out first.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

wicka posted:

I think Varsha pretty much decided to retire.

Didn't he have some sort of awful contract with FOX which left him with nothing really to call after F1 moved to NBCSN, but limited ability to go pinch hit on other networks' broadcasts? I remember he did one IndyCar race at Pocono in 2014 and wasn't able to do Barrett-Jackson when that moved to Velocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jesus christ the way these cars turn in the center of the corner with 6klb of downforce is insane

• Locked thread