Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

Gummy vitamins are the least effective way to get vitamins into your body. And it's one of the most expensive ones, too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/teen-vogue/do-gummy-vitamins-actuall_b_7034380.html

Just eat an apple and regular gumdrops or whatever instead.

the article you posted posted:

“natural and organic gummy vitamins are great supplements to get in a variety of vitamins and minerals in an easily-digestible and delicious way,” says NYC-based nutritionist Tara Ostrowe, MS RD. “They’re also good alternatives for clients who feel that regular multivitamin tablets make them nauseous or are too large to swallow.”

Lol did you just read the title and like the first paragraph and decide that was that? The first paragraph said it can't replace a well balanced diet (just like any other multivitamin, which is why they are vitamin "supplements"), and the rest goes on to say that they contain sugar, which shouldn't be an issue if you use them as directed and brush your teeth. Also to be careful to not let kids, or anyone, eat them like candy because they are full of vitamins and minerals that could be toxic above the RDA.

I can't imagine these nutritionists having anything different to say as far as the main message goes, that while they contain necessary vitamins and minerals but aren't a replacement for healthy eating, than they would about any other multivitamin. The main difference is that kids might OD on them because they're tasty, and that they have a small amount of sugar so you should brush your teeth like a civilized human being and probably not use them if you have diabetus.

Edit: I guess I should read replies before posting, I didn't realize that was like 2 pages ago. I stand by it though. Also have a baby with expressive facial hair. Sorry for the lovely snipe.

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Wait, this is the actual product packaging ? But those are almonds.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Istari posted:

Those almonds are very much activated.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I dunno what they do but I heard it's good for health *eats cyanide*

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Istari posted:

Apricot pits are ugly.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
just SMH if you dont eat fist fulls of cyanide

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

It was in Watchmen.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

What's his Reddit name?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

spog posted:

Fancy playing the odds?

quote:

In 1993, the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets tested the cyanide content of two 220 gram (8 oz) packages of bitter apricot kernels imported from Pakistan that were being sold in health-food stores as a snack. The results showed that each package, if consumed entirely, contained at least double the minimum lethal dosage of cyanide for an adult human.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

RFC2324 posted:

When I was in high school, I had a friend who maintained a supply of cyanide, 'just in case'. He gathered it by cooking it out of apple seeds, and would pass it around so we could all smell how almondy it was.

I wonder if he is dead yet.

I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but your friend just had a bottle of almond extract.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If eating them can literally kill someone how are they able to be sold?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

RatHat posted:

Caveat emptor?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

They're supplements

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

spog posted:

Fancy playing the odds?

Not the most important part.

Sunfood's Apricot Kernels posted:

Warning: Sweet apricot kernels contain amygdalin (Vitamin B17) which can cause symptoms of cyanide poisoning when eaten in excess. DO NOT EAT MORE THAN 8 SEEDS PER DAY

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but your friend just had a bottle of almond extract.

Nah. I watched him cooking down the apple seeds. Never actually smelled almonds tho.

I mostly wonder if he's dead yet because he was an idiot.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
You know. In fairness. Amygdalin isn't cyanide.

It just metabolizes INTO cyanide within the body. An honest mistake.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I prefer to bake n' dump

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

rodbeard posted:

B17 is literally cyanide if anyone doesn't know.

And It's literally not a vitamin:

quote:

Since the early 1950s, both amygdalin and a modified form named laetrile have been promoted as alternative cancer treatments, often using the misnomer Vitamin B17. But studies have found them to be clinically ineffective in the treatment of cancer, as well as potentially toxic or lethal when taken by mouth, due to cyanide poisoning. Neither amygdalin nor laetrile is a vitamin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdalin

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dammit Japan, you just had to make inflict anime onto other species, didn't you. :mad:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

This doesn't have such a funny ending though.

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys
Surely removing the stupid cartoon character picture would have been a better option than a fence...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jerk Burger posted:

Surely removing the stupid cartoon character picture would have been a better option than a fence...

Once anime is introduced into an ecosystem it's almost impossible to truly remove it.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

I love the blurb on that apricot kernels bag "...also known as vitamin b17, a mineral that has largely disappeared from western diets".
GEE I WONDER WHY

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
That penguin knows what's up.

I wonder if there's a reason they can't put his food next to the cutout so he can have a date with it, or does he not eat even then?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

RCarr posted:

Fools. I've spent years building an immunity to cyanide.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Honestly, if an animal is too stupid to support itself, you should probably just let it die. Like pandas. Pandas deserve to go extinct.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

Honestly, if an animal is too stupid to support itself, you should probably just let it die. Like pandas. Pandas deserve to go extinct.

I am Jack's complete lack of an orginal joke.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

bobjr posted:

This doesn't have such a funny ending though.

So is this gonna end like The Notebook, or like Hunchback of Notre Dame? :ohdear:

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

Not the most important part.

Interestingly, the "B-17 Blast Off Smoothie" was an alternative provided for gluten-free members of Heaven's Gate.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

BrandorKP posted:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Heh

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Great Burrito posted:

vitamin, a mineral

Yeaup. Yeah. Yeaup yup yup. Now what are some more words I've hurd.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Failmale

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8rNRmmosmA

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Excuse me, I identify as a High School Visit in April and I am furious that this form does not have an option for me.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

BrandorKP posted:

Fight Club is 18 years old.

[edit] Now I feel old. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I am Jacks cake dumps.