Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

i think it's clear that the drew brees signing was completely a fluke for a bad team that does bad stupid things

Sorry, I can't hear you over this RINGING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

and carolina trades up for a guy that probably would have been there when they actually pick

of course

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheFlyingLlama posted:

and carolina trades up for a guy that probably would have been there when they actually pick

of course

People always say this and it's rarely true.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

if irrationally disliking every pick the panthers make is wrong than I don't want to be right!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I know they worked him out, but what is a Duke Riley?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

weird Asian candy posted:

A linebacker. He's not the most physically talented guy but he has good instincts and was a key part of what was a drat good LSU defense. LSU has had a good history of putting solid, if unspectacular, into the NFL lately, so I think it's a good pickup at that spot.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Godwin seems like a pretty good pick for the Bucs in the third.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

big money big clit posted:

A linebacker. He's not the most physically talented guy but he has good instincts and was a key part of what was a drat good LSU defense. LSU has had a good history of putting solid, if unspectacular, into the NFL lately, so I think it's a good pickup at that spot.

Quinn apparently is starting him off at WLB, so looks like our LB corps are set at Campbell/Jones/Riley? Reading up on him, he seems like a very Dan Quinny guy.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Lmao

https://youtu.be/JOuwNvDB0wk

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

TheFlyingLlama posted:

of course

Yeah I'm not sure about that either. I think by the time you get to the third round, teams have a lot more info on the guys they want compared to the TV pundits and mock draft gurus. ESPN has Hall as the 93rd ranked player, but I wouldn't be surprised if a handful of teams had higher grades on him or were placing higher value on pass rushers at that point.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
This looks promising at least.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/858164223595208704

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know that we needed a running back so high after getting Adrian Peterson, and I know we don't need a safety. I guess we're just preparing for when AP and 4 DBs inevitably get hurt.

Other picks seem good though?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know that we needed a running back so high after getting Adrian Peterson, and I know we don't need a safety. I guess we're just preparing for when AP and 4 DBs inevitably get hurt.

Other picks seem good though?

Honestly, finally drafting a DE (and one that looks pretty decent against the pass) has made me like this draft more. If Kamara can play like Bush/Sproles, that would be a big bonus.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Panthers draft so far:

1st Round (8) - Christian McCaffrey - RB/WR/Returner
2nd Round (40) - Curtis Samuel - WR/RB/Returner(?)
2nd Round (64) - Taylor Moton - RT/G
3rd Round (77) - Daeshon Hall - DE

So this clearly checks off a few big needs. I'm not sure it was smart to address the RB and WR need with two hybrid players. It seems that it makes the learning curve that much steeper, though the reward would be two guys who can really confuse defenses. I like the second two picks, even if they aren't the best value.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

All the pr people for the panthers are referring to our 2nd rounder as a wide receiver.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

If carolina had taken one of McCaffrey or Samuel he'd probably be a swiss army knife, but with both of them they'll probably be set at RB and WR respectively.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The panthers are really harping on "evolving" the offense and quite honestly I'm horrified to think what that means with mike shula.

This moton boy though. Holy crap.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Much as I despise the Saints, "dumbest team in the history of football" is juuuuusssttt a bit too strong.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FizFashizzle posted:

The panthers are really harping on "evolving" the offense and quite honestly I'm horrified to think what that means with mike shula.

It's 3rd and 18 because of another holding penalty. What play do I call, what play do I call? Well we got this really shifty running back...

Got it! Lets run HB Draw weak side out of the shotgun. They'll never see it coming!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

His profile on NFL.com says he's not a "quick-twitch linebacker" so I'm going to say he's not black.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 29, 2017

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Chilichimp posted:

His profile on NFL.com says he's not a "quick-twitch linebacker" so I'm going to say he's not black.

Ahh. So he must be "cerebral" then.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Very similar measurables to Debo so typical DQ player. Fast. High motor.

He has a brother named Cooter, so no way he black.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
We are definitely going all in for the aggressive defence

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

Honestly, finally drafting a DE (and one that looks pretty decent against the pass) has made me like this draft more. If Kamara can play like Bush/Sproles, that would be a big bonus.

Payton keeps coming back to the hilariously mediocre Travaris Cadet to do what Sproles and Pierre did for that backfield. If Kamara can be the guy that can make overly-predictable screens work, it'll be a huge improvement.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

WE HAVE DRAFTED THE ELDER OF MAIZE

BOW DOWN AND FEAR OUR POWER

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Very similar measurables to Debo so typical DQ player. Fast. High motor.

He has a brother named Cooter, so no way he black.

He should go good with "The Love Motor" that we drafted in the first, then.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I hope butt kicker makes the team to make my girlfriend happy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Pershing posted:

Much as I despise the Saints, "dumbest team in the history of football" is juuuuusssttt a bit too strong.

They were really, really dumb in the 70s and first half of the 80s, and then again in the second half of the 90s. So much dumb.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

A.o.D. posted:

They were really, really dumb in the 70s and first half of the 80s, and then again in the second half of the 90s. So much dumb.

The Saints hired an astronaut to be the general manager back then, so yeah I'm glad I wasn't alive back at that point. I at least grew up with the dome patrol.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

A.o.D. posted:

We live in a world where the Browns exist is all im saying.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm ready.

https://twitter.com/ScottSBucs/status/859443931674812416

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I'm still pissed he fell to you bastards :mad:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm still pissed he fell to you bastards :mad:

I'm shocked. Surely one of the other 18 teams head of us needed a good TE too.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

I'm shocked. Surely one of the other 18 teams head of us needed a good TE too.

I was coming here to post about how lovely 1st round tight ends have been, but upon researching, it's a pretty shockingly consistent group.

Since Tony Gonzalez until 2016: (*= still active)

Since 2010:
Eric Ebron* - 3 seasons, 40 games, 133 receptions, 1496 yards, 7 touchdowns
Tyler Eiffert* - 4 seasons, 37 games, 123 receptions, 1491 yards, 20 touchdowns
J. Greshamn* - 7 seasons, 105 games, 335 receptions, 3336 yards, 27 touchdowns
Prior to 2010:
B. Pettigrew - 4 seasons, 47 games, 112 receptions, 1450 yards, 9 touchdowns
Dustin Keller - 5 seasons, 72 games, 241 receptions, 2876 yards, 17 touchdowns
Greg Olsen* - 10 seasons, 158 games, 622 receptions, 7365 yards, 52 touchdowns
Vernon Davis* - 11 seasons, 162 games, 502 receptions, 6362 yards, 57 touchdowns
Heath Miller - 11 seasons, 168 games, 592 receptions, 6569 yards, 45 touchdowns
Kellen Winslow - 9 seasons, 105 games, 469 receptions, 5236 yards, 25 touchdowns
Benjamin Watson - 12 seasons, 163 games, 434 receptions, 4963 yards, 38 touchdowns
Dallas Clark - 11 seasons, 143 games, 505 receptions, 5665 yards, 53 touchdowns
Jeremy Shockey - 10 seasons, 136 games, 547 receptions, 6143 yards, 37 touchdowns
Daniel Graham - 10 seasons, 142 games, 224 receptions, 2490 yards, 25 touchdowns
Jerramy Stevens - 9 seasons, 121 games, 202 receptions, 2217 yards, 22 touchdowns
Todd Heap - 12 seasons, 161 games, 499 receptions, 5869 yards, 42 touchdowns
Bubba Franks - 9 seasons, 122 games, 262 receptions, 2347 yards, 32 touchdowns
David Lafleur - 4 seasons, 60 games, 85 receptions, 729 yards, 12 touchdowns

I'd have to do data analysis to see which of these picks were "worth the 1st round pick" but the majority of these guys seem to be solid career starters.

Recent first rounders have been a somewhat mixed bag, although, obviously, we haven't see the full careers of all of them at this point.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Chilichimp posted:

I was coming here to post about how lovely 1st round tight ends have been, but upon researching, it's a pretty shockingly consistent group.

Since Tony Gonzalez until 2016: (*= still active)

Greg Olsen* - 10 seasons, 158 games, 622 receptions, 7365 yards, 52 touchdowns

Oh Greg :allears:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/860114501039009793

https://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/860112351177175040

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Dammit I just posted this in the N/V thread from insta. Using Twitter was smarter

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Dammit I just posted this in the N/V thread from insta. Using Twitter was smarter

I got ya.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

This is one of the best loving things ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Bucs social media game is strong

• Locked thread