Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
well like you can drive them to work and poo poo, i dunno

back to your original question: minis are bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

back to your original question: minis are bad

This, and I couldn't fit two sets of hockey gear comfortably in a mustang GT.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I guess I'll test drive the GTI and the Mini, I suppose it will be way easier to get out of my Jetta lease and into the GTI than a mini...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xsf421 posted:

This, and I couldn't fit two sets of hockey gear comfortably in a mustang GT.

Plus any of those "pony cars" have absolute poo poo for resale if you buy new.
You can't jam nearly as much poo poo in them as you can a hatchback.
Who cares how many cylinders it has, in a straight line they're almost the same speed.
On the curves it will smoke any pony car.

Update to my uninsured rear end in a top hat story. I got 1 check back in december. Apparently he was supposed to show up for another court date in February and didn't. So now the rear end in a top hat has a warrant out for his arrest. So basically I'm never getting back my money that I spent out of pocket to fix my car. gently caress people.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Heh, resale value. That's probably not a good argument to make in this thread full of Fords and VWs...

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

PaintVagrant posted:

Heh, resale value. That's probably not a good argument to make in this thread full of Fords and VWs...

Speaking of, when looking for cars I was shocked to see the absolute nose dive the 2016 Mazda MX-5 took in re-sale value.
New the dealer was asking $28k for a new GT. I was finding them on Autotrader for $18k with <8k miles. Glad I dodged that bullet.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Why are octanes so low in the US? We only have 95 and 98 here in Sweden.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Voltage posted:

I just got a Miata :v:

But seriously why recommend a car that's nearly double (R/RS) what I said I was looking at (Cooper/S). It wouldn't be any different than if I came in asking for a base V6 mustang and someone recommends a 1LE Camaro.

Sorry man, didn't mean to over recommend. Yeah, just get the mini.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MrOnBicycle posted:

Because you are using RON only and the US uses the average of RON and MON. Your 95 / 98 is our 91 / 93.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

Different measurement methodology. Europe uses RON and the US uses R+M/2. Your 95 is the same as our 91. Your 98 is about the same as our 93.

edit goddamnit blackmk4

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

veedubfreak posted:

Plus any of those "pony cars" have absolute poo poo for resale if you buy new.
You can't jam nearly as much poo poo in them as you can a hatchback.
Who cares how many cylinders it has, in a straight line they're almost the same speed.
On the curves it will smoke any pony car.

He said a Camaro SS 1LE. 3/4 of these things you're absolutely wrong about. It doesn't matter which hot hatch flavor you choose, be it the Golf R or the RS.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That car is no joke. But hey at least I can see out of my fiesta :D

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The 1LE is pretty dope but I find the fascination with cylinder counts pretty weird. Are you going to to be pissed about the Ford GT because it's a V6?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Seriously. Even the V6 1LE was only 0.1s slower than a focus RS on the lightning lap. It's a crazy fast car that will handle better than about anything else for the money.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Larrymer posted:

He said a Camaro SS 1LE. 3/4 of these things you're absolutely wrong about. It doesn't matter which hot hatch flavor you choose, be it the Golf R or the RS.

Sorry I don't keep up with American muscle cars. Apparently they can corner now?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Sorry I don't keep up with American muscle cars. Apparently they can corner now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKjnbOsSEs

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Somebody did a comparo with the new SS and a BMW M4 that cost twice as much. The Camaro won. Don't downplay the achievements with your brand snobbery. :colbert:

Even last gen Camaro could handle very well despite it's heft. It was the first of them to get IRS which the new Mustang followed suit with.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 28, 2017

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Yeah motor trend and others AFAIK are saying even the V6 Camaro can smoke an M2 now, and the V8 hangs with an M3/M4 no problem around a track.

As to the small engine thing - yeah it's weird as hell that even crazy expensive cars have tiny little engines now, but I guess that's unavoidable with emissions standards and increases in efficiency. But it just feels weird that a $55,000 (and easily spec-able to 100k) Cayman is "only" an H4. The Ford GT being a V6 reminds me of how the Jag XJ220 was also only a V6 instead of it's planned V12, just seems odd it's not an 8 like all the other GT's.

I just think, why not get a bonkers V8 while we still can, since it's unquestionably the end of the road for huge engines, and quite possibly ICE's in general. Along with fairly cheap gas, why not enjoy it before we are all in self driving electric/hydrogen cars?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Voltage posted:

Yeah motor trend and others AFAIK are saying even the V6 Camaro can smoke an M2 now, and the V8 hangs with an M3/M4 no problem around a track.

As to the small engine thing - yeah it's weird as hell that even crazy expensive cars have tiny little engines now, but I guess that's unavoidable with emissions standards and increases in efficiency. But it just feels weird that a $55,000 (and easily spec-able to 100k) Cayman is "only" an H4. The Ford GT being a V6 reminds me of how the Jag XJ220 was also only a V6 instead of it's planned V12, just seems odd it's not an 8 like all the other GT's.

I just think, why not get a bonkers V8 while we still can, since it's unquestionably the end of the road for huge engines, and quite possibly ICE's in general. Along with fairly cheap gas, why not enjoy it before we are all in self driving electric/hydrogen cars?

I think we have a while before ICE stops being the engine of choice for the average person. Just look how many 20+ year old cars there are still out there being driven every day. Not to mention the way things are going in this country, it's not like like more people are going to be buying new cars than in the past.

e: It's not brand snobbery. Muscle cars have just never been on my list of vehicles to keep track of simply because for the past 6-7 years I've been essentially required to have a car that you can stuff tons of poo poo in for my job. The last time muscle cars had my interest was probably in high school when the 5.0 mustang was king of poo poo hill. Back then for muscle cars, cornering was a definite 2nd to straight line speed.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 28, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

GM's performance game has been on point for years now. They punch way above their weight on the track.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Kinda wish GM would sell some small performance variant vehicles in the US. Think they have a few rolling around Europe under the Opel/Vauxhall brand at least.

May have to just learn to deal with the visibility issues and get a Camaro SS 1LE at some point; they're pretty amazing for the price.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Voltage posted:

Any opinions on the new Minis?

I'm looking to ditch my seriously boring Jetta lease and get something smaller for the city that's going to actually be fun to drive. My wife went absolutely bonkers over Mini's when we were just at the the NY auto show.

Looking at a new 2 door Cooper S hard top 6 speed - are they worth it at all? Reasonably quick? I want to go test drive a few first but maybe someone here has one?

I used to have a Fiesta ST, so I want something different than that - I don't want a Fiat Abarth, and not sure about a GTI since it may be just as boring/too similar to the jetta and you can't really turn off traction control and that has been an absolute nightmare for snow driving in my Jetta, I mean cmon, no e-brake drifting???

Really can't think of much else - The new Civic SI is not coming in a hatch, the type R is probably going to be too expensive and has the world's thinnest tires that will shatter at the thought of NYC potholes, and the Focus ST/RS are too similar to the Fiesta.

It really sucks that there aren't many hot hatches in the US - I was just in Europe were literally everything is a tiny hatchback :(

The current crop of Minis appears to be massively more reliable than the last generation, in which the Cooper S was plagued with issues. They're quick fun cars, but not particularly practical.

I would suggest a BMW M135i/M140i as a happy medium, but apparently you can't get it in the US. Guess there isn't much of a market for small RWD hatchbacks there.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I could only wish we got the M140i here.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Ludicro posted:

The current crop of Minis appears to be massively more reliable than the last generation, in which the Cooper S was plagued with issues. They're quick fun cars, but not particularly practical.

I would suggest a BMW M135i/M140i as a happy medium, but apparently you can't get it in the US. Guess there isn't much of a market for small RWD hatchbacks there.

What makes them impractical? Expensive parts?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
You can fit a decent amount into a Mini with the rear seats folded down actually. Shape is kinda boxy and that maybe maximizes usable interior space- kinda like a teeeeny Scion xB/Honda Element? I also think they've finally given up and moved the speedo out of the center console and in front of the driver. Hard to recommend unless you're in love with the styling as there are better things out there for less money but they aren't bad. Have no clue on the longevity and maintenance of the current models, though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PaintVagrant posted:

Except backwards. But yeah, the Camaro is basically a bunker that can haul rear end around a corner while making loud noises.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Monkey Fracas posted:

You can fit a decent amount into a Mini with the rear seats folded down actually. Shape is kinda boxy and that maybe maximizes usable interior space- kinda like a teeeeny Scion xB/Honda Element? I also think they've finally given up and moved the speedo out of the center console and in front of the driver. Hard to recommend unless you're in love with the styling as there are better things out there for less money but they aren't bad. Have no clue on the longevity and maintenance of the current models, though.

I remember seeing the consumer reports test drive of the Mini, and the shift knob came off in their hand while they were driving.

Lol, found it:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/06/2014-mini-cooper-s-shifter-comes-off-while-driving/index.htm

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

I bought a 2017 GTI this week. Love this car.

EDIT: Saw a post earlier about flying to get one cheaper, such as in VA. Bought that one in VA for about 23K.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 29, 2017

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

whatspeakyou posted:

I bought a 2017 GTI this week. Love this car.

EDIT: Saw a post earlier about flying to get one cheaper, such as in VA. Bought that one in VA for about 23K.

Looks good, how do you like the wheels?

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Candlelight Virgil posted:

Looks good, how do you like the wheels?

Eh they're alright. Kinda growing on me, but I'm thinking of replacing them with some VMR 710s in gun metal.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

whatspeakyou posted:

Eh they're alright. Kinda growing on me, but I'm thinking of replacing them with some VMR 710s in gun metal.

Yeah I'm trying to let the 2012 wheels grow on me so I can spend money on other things and it's happening slowly..

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I have no concerns for reliability since I am leasing whatever I get, if I was buying it to keep long term I wouldn't even remotely consider a mini. My friend had a first gen cooper works and it was an absolute disaster, just never functioned 100%. I'm sure its better now but im just not going to get a used bmw after my e46 and its insane cooling system debacles.

I do really wish I could get a 1 series hatch, they were everywhere in Europe, every single one was a stick and I was so jealous.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Anyone ever put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the Fiesta ST stock wheels? Stock tire size is 205/40/17 and the Pilot SS's are 215/45/17. People on the FiST Forums say they fit without rubbing, but a lot of people on those forums are retarded. Also, does anyone have any experience with Pirelli P Zero Neros? They seem to have about the same performance as the Bridgestone Potenzas the Fist comes with, but with a slightly better treadwear rating and lower price tag.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Rape Stink posted:

Anyone ever put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the Fiesta ST stock wheels? Stock tire size is 205/40/17 and the Pilot SS's are 215/45/17. People on the FiST Forums say they fit without rubbing, but a lot of people on those forums are retarded. Also, does anyone have any experience with Pirelli P Zero Neros? They seem to have about the same performance as the Bridgestone Potenzas the Fist comes with, but with a slightly better treadwear rating and lower price tag.

I had p zero neros on my '96 integra in high school but it was an LS and not even vtec so vov but I was nice knowing I had Pirellis.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rape Stink posted:

IIRC that's what Smoking Tire were running on theirs, and I they said they had rub at the extremes but not anything you'd notice in most situations.

That's my current plan B if I decide not to buy a set of 16" wheels and Potenza RE-71s

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Candlelight Virgil posted:

What makes them impractical? Expensive parts?

Nah parts weren't too bad, it was the labour cost. You had a relatively large engine with FWD crammed into a tiny engine bay, so it takes time to get all the other bits out the way first. Not that this is a concern if it's under warranty.

I was referring more to the fact the current Mini hatch isn't much smaller than say a Golf, but the latter has way more room inside.

Voltage posted:

I have no concerns for reliability since I am leasing whatever I get, if I was buying it to keep long term I wouldn't even remotely consider a mini. My friend had a first gen cooper works and it was an absolute disaster, just never functioned 100%. I'm sure its better now but im just not going to get a used bmw after my e46 and its insane cooling system debacles.

I do really wish I could get a 1 series hatch, they were everywhere in Europe, every single one was a stick and I was so jealous.

Traditionally it was the forced induction Minis that had all the problems (especially the first gen R56), but they're all turbocharged now so...

I absolutely love my 1 Series, mine isn't exactly a hot hatch but I'd say definitely qualifies as a warm hatch. You know you could go with a 2 Series? It's not a hatchback but it's literally the exact same car apart from the rear end.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BlackMK4 posted:

Because you are using RON only and the US uses the average of RON and MON. Your 95 / 98 is our 91 / 93.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Different measurement methodology. Europe uses RON and the US uses R+M/2. Your 95 is the same as our 91. Your 98 is about the same as our 93.

edit goddamnit blackmk4

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah I see. Thanks. Figured it can't be that much difference.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm still considering a base 230i, really like the look and size. If i can find a cheap lease I'll snag one, but they again seem fairly overpriced if you factor in raw performance, and a base 2 is pretty spartan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

Voltage posted:

I'm still considering a base 230i, really like the look and size. If i can find a cheap lease I'll snag one, but they again seem fairly overpriced if you factor in raw performance, and a base 2 is pretty spartan.

I'm guessing it's different in the US, but in the UK it's possible to get huge discounts off the m240i - discounts which make the 230i more expensive.