Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

FredMSloniker posted:

That reminds me. Usually in a game or anime, this:

...would just be an image full of symbolism, not something that happens in-world. The way the image was presented, though, makes me wonder if the boss tried to escape into the protagonists' heads...

If that image happened in-universe, I'd say it's an accidental broadcast by the dying boss. 2B firewalls held up quite nicely there.

On the other hand, though, will 9S's firewall hold just as well? I could see that as a mid-game twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

If they're trying to become human, they're doing a real lovely job at it. On the one hand, imitating sex. Totally believable no questioning things there. But on the other one they're trying to imitate working at a Theme Park.

The two most important things about humanity are orgies and Disneyland.
Soon, we'll find out what number 3 is.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Pigbuster posted:

Lookin' awesome. :colbert: Which is probably what Simone was up to! Guess she downloaded too much data on that, though, the poor dear. So many conflicting styles...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pigbuster posted:

it's really just sex and violence tbh

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Wellp just bought the soundtrack.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Skylight posted:

Lookin' awesome. :colbert: Which is probably what Simone was up to! Guess she downloaded too much data on that, though, the poor dear. So many conflicting styles...
Now I'm imagining Simone downloading archival footage of Tim Gunn to help with choosing outfits.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

exploded mummy posted:

it's really just sex and violence tbh

Nah, it's sects and violins.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Never saw the xenomorph dick, and I had to restart a lot of times because I suck at this genre.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"But Disneyland is the happiest place on earth!", said no one who has actually worked there

I've actually mostly read positive things about Disneyland as a workplace.

I mean, to be clear, it's still a job where you have to deal with lovely kids crying and trying to kick you in the dick, adults who insist their lovely kids could never be lovely or who have "hilarious" jokes involving looking up people's skirts or whatever, but the corporate culture on the ground level is (again, according to what I've read) built keeping in mind that the park sells itself as a magical experience full of wonderment and joy and crap, and that doesn't work so well when the guy in the Goofy costume is only able to hold it together by fantasizing about slicing everyone in the park open with twin katanas. Basically, happy employees make for happier guests make for happier shareholders since the park's taking in more cash.

Nowhere near paradise, but if you're coming off an infinite robowar, I can see how it would play that way.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

ManSedan posted:

Wellp just bought the soundtrack.

You have made a good life choice.

(I still wish the soundtrack had some of the song variants that it doesn't, like Birth of a Wish with words)

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Zagglezig posted:

I wonder a bit about how long this has been a thing machines have been doing. 9S was familiar with the speech phenomenon and the giving birth thing is obviously new, but I wonder if there was maybe some issue in the past as well that maybe ties into the whole "emotions are prohibited" rule. I mainly wonder about the latter cause, why do you need a rule?
Clearly all the androids have emotions: 6O and the office girls doing love life fortune telling, 9S being a dork trying to get a nickname going on, 2B being clearly sad about 9S not remembering the tutorial. If they didn't want the androids to have emotions, then why build them that way?
So, maybe it just didn't matter until now.

I get the impression 2B is trying and failing to play at being an emotionless murderbot.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
A sound I will have stuck in my head for the rest of the night: No. No. No. No. NO! (boom) No. No. No. No. NO! (boom)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Love 2B's deadpan 'That's new.'

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So, how do you go about suing someone for using your normal-rear end surname? Because I know a bunch of Smiths and Simmonses who could be making mad bank.

Anyway, my boy 9 "Nines" S just wants to chop up all the crazy robots so he can get back to winning this forever war. It's not his fault he's been stuck with some moody rear end in a top hat who writes Linkin Park lyrics on her swords.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?
Hypothetical question here, but would Pod C's missiles be good for clearing up the crucified androids? If it doesn't just focus fire in Simone because the camera is stuck on her, I'd imagine it'd be an easier way to sweep the Jesusroids than struggling to point the camera at them and firing away with Pod A

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zagglezig posted:

I wonder a bit about how long this has been a thing machines have been doing. 9S was familiar with the speech phenomenon and the giving birth thing is obviously new, but I wonder if there was maybe some issue in the past as well that maybe ties into the whole "emotions are prohibited" rule. I mainly wonder about the latter cause, why do you need a rule?
Clearly all the androids have emotions: 6O and the office girls doing love life fortune telling, 9S being a dork trying to get a nickname going on, 2B being clearly sad about 9S not remembering the tutorial. If they didn't want the androids to have emotions, then why build them that way?
So, maybe it just didn't matter until now.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

AccidentalHipster posted:

Hypothetical question here, but would Pod C's missiles be good for clearing up the crucified androids? If it doesn't just focus fire in Simone because the camera is stuck on her, I'd imagine it'd be an easier way to sweep the Jesusroids than struggling to point the camera at them and firing away with Pod A

In my opinion I didn't find the missiles useful in any part of the game. I didn't try them there but I get the feeling it still would have been easier/faster just to strafe the androids with Pod A. I don't mind that, as having the auto-lock-on Pod be the best one in the game would have sucked.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The missiles are really not as good as you would think a swarm of auto-lock-on robot-seeking missiles would be. Their firing rate is awful, they tend to lock onto things other than the ones you'd prefer to target, they have much less hitstun than the gatling and just plain don't seem to do a lot of damage. The main functional purpose of the extra pods is really to give you more pod program cooldowns and charge-up attacks.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the missles are fine for hard where lock on isnt an option. they also seem to do knockdown so theres that too.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Dzhay posted:

So, how do you go about suing someone for using your normal-rear end surname? Because I know a bunch of Smiths and Simmonses who could be making mad bank.

congrats and welcome to the hell that is copyright law

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The missiles always suck. Slow as gently caress, so they have garbage DPS. It's not hard to aim your gatling pod on Hard even in the middle of combat.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The xenomorph dick is the only spot I've ever died. She revealed it and locked into her OHKO attack at the same time so I had no time to react. The boss fight is insanely cool and one of the best, but that's just a bit poo poo design.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

really queer Christmas posted:

The xenomorph dick is the only spot I've ever died. She revealed it and locked into her OHKO attack at the same time so I had no time to react. The boss fight is insanely cool and one of the best, but that's just a bit poo poo design.

I never realized it had a OHKO attack. Mainly because my gameplay style is somewhat similar to an over caffeinated squirrel on crack. I zoom in, whack whack whack, then dart away wildly tapping the dodge button the instant the boss so much as farts threateningly.

It's served me pretty well.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The missiles always suck. Slow as gently caress, so they have garbage DPS. It's not hard to aim your gatling pod on Hard even in the middle of combat.

Unlike the gatling bullets, missles have decent amounts of stagger. There's one section of a later boss-fight that this makes trivial, although it wasn't a particularly difficult section in the first place. Aside from that, yeah, the missile pod is not very good at all.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

What a gorgeous piece of music.

And what a fantastic monster design Simone is.

She was spoiled by previews, her concept art published a long time ago, but it still manages to present itself as this perfectly elegant horror when encountered in-game.

I mean it in deep sincerity when I say thank you for the nightmares, NieR Automata.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

There is nothing wrong with the Simone boss fight.

Also this game is the only one I've found that has a hacking minigame I don't actively despise.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The Dark Id posted:

After enduring a couple minutes of the enslaved androids’ attacks boy a lot of these boss fights are secretly on scripted timers,
To be fair, you see that in a lot of bullet-hell games as well.

By the time I fought Simone Beauvoir the Songstress I was well ahead of the leveling curve. The level you are now? That's where I was when I fought Adam. Yet another example--as if one were still needed--of why you really want to save the sub-quests until fast travel unlocks. It's still an amazing looking/sounding fight, but level makes a big difference in Automata. Most all of the hard to dodge attacks I just facetanked, then killed her while she was in the middle of unslinging the terror-dick.

Robs the game of some of the menace you know? Shame Hard mode was so poorly implemented.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I'm surprised the game doesn't include any EXP limiter item like Kingdom Hearts or FFXV

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah, thats one problem with the game. Even slightly farming for chips will mean youre over leveled for the rest of the game. I did this in my hard playthrough and im already unkillable because im 10 levels higher than anything and have good chips. Hopefully by the end game ill be underleveled.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Nina posted:

I'm surprised the game doesn't include any EXP limiter item like Kingdom Hearts or FFXV

Personally I think I'd have preferred it if levelling was confined to enabling you to equip more chips rather than overall stat boosts. That way if you wanted to limit yourself for the challenge you could just play the game under-equipped. (There'd have to be a lot less levels obviously, but hey.)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Mazerunner posted:

I feel like naming your song literally as "A Beautiful Song" might be a bit on the nose, but here they can walk the walk so I'll let it pass.

Have you perhaps noticed that the boss the song is tied to is slightly obsessed with a certain theme that might have influenced its naming

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Hoping for more chiptunes versions of the game's music going forward.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nina posted:

You'd be pretty heavily crippled. Your damage output relies a lot on your level relative to the enemy's. It's not like Kingdom Hearts where level was mostly about abilities and life extensions.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 29, 2017

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

KamikazePotato posted:

In my opinion I didn't find the missiles useful in any part of the game. I didn't try them there but I get the feeling it still would have been easier/faster just to strafe the androids with Pod A. I don't mind that, as having the auto-lock-on Pod be the best one in the game would have sucked.

There's one boss phase in particular where the missiles completely shut down their attacks. Kinda makes the experience hilarious because it's supposed to be a dramatic moment but the boss literally cannot get an attack off because it's getting stunlocked by missiles every time it tries to do something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It'd be better if level scaling was in so enemies are always same level, rather than exp limits to create extra difficulty

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It'd be better if level scaling was in so enemies are always same level, rather than exp limits to create extra difficulty

Scaling exists.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I honestly didn't mind this game becoming easy once I got a decent chip set up since this is an RPG, in my experience level scaling sucks because it just shows me how pointless the leveling is (see: later Elder Scrolls games). Although I think it could be a nice switch to turn on if you're into that sort of thing.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 29, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Scaling exists.

Universally so. Toggle it in the menu and enemies that were level 3 are now level 35 like your 2B, anything higher level than you would stay as such

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"But Disneyland is the happiest place on earth!", said no one who has actually worked there

Someone already answered this, but apparently outside the guests, its actually pretty great to work at Disneyland.
To quote a Cracked article, "As a reward for fending off vicious geese and being stabbed in the groin by children, [Disney] throw[s them] impromptu parties and celebrations pretty regularly, just to keep [their] morale up. They'll have cast appreciation days, where they bring in huge food trucks to serve [them] all free meals (they even provide a Thanksgiving Feast for everyone who has to work on the holiday). And while most theme park employees don't get any kind of retirement plan, Disney announced they were providing [them] with a 401K out of the blue. There's a reason turnover is low at these parks, even if the job means the occasional tantrum from a man dressed as a giant chipmunk."

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Personally I think I'd have preferred it if levelling was confined to enabling you to equip more chips rather than overall stat boosts. That way if you wanted to limit yourself for the challenge you could just play the game under-equipped. (There'd have to be a lot less levels obviously, but hey.)

So, like in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days?

On a random note, am I the only one who saw the Party Tank and Amusement Park, and thought of those old man Six Flags commercials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Kingdom Hearts suffering is starting shortly, if that's your kinda scene. There will probably be a short Automata update later tonight to cap off this chapter after that.

]http://www.hitbox.tv/TheDarkId

• Locked thread