Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mike Ross has retired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I remember thinking ireland would never replace John Hayes then Mike Ross came and did the exact same thing as him minus crying at the anthem. Then Furlong showed up, battered a few All Blacks and showed us all that Props can do more than be 19 stone and hold up a scrum.

Last of a dying breed is big Ross.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Watching the Edinburgh v Dragons scrum and Edinburgh have been terrible, their scrum has been really poo poo house all night.

Having said that Edinburgh right back in it at 20-10 and the Dragons down to 14 for the rest of the game.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 28, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well of course they won, they weren't playing at Rodney Parade.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Well of course they won, they weren't playing at Rodney Parade.

Ugh, robbed at the end. 24-20 to Edinburgh. The shite away form of the Dragons continues. Well shite home for as well.

In other news

redknob
Aug 29, 2005
If anyone wanted to watch some minnows playing: http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/welcome-rugby-europe-tv

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Huh, I thought you meant the tahs reds game coming up soon...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

redknob posted:

If anyone wanted to watch some minnows playing: http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/welcome-rugby-europe-tv

Cool, good find.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Pretty poo poo show by the ref tonight, the sunwolves have every right to feel aggrieved.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The red was totally deserved.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

For sure, but I posted this earlier, the wolves were due a penalty try and the chiefs should have had at least one yellow for repeat infringements.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

bessantj posted:

Done. Now to see if I can get the Dragons to come out to Bobby Roode's music.

Never underestimate the power of asking a bunch of people on a forum to vote for something stupid :

https://www.facebook.com/ospreysrugby/videos/10154704497847842/

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

Never underestimate the power of asking a bunch of people on a forum to vote for something stupid :

https://www.facebook.com/ospreysrugby/videos/10154704497847842/

That is fantastic, it really is.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tyma posted:

Help save The Ospreys season, by forcing them to run out to Triple H's theme song.

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/News/Article/48985

They hosed up by not including this as a possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

Mr Chips posted:

After the 2003 RWC, there should've been a surge in junior numbers that should be bearing fruit by now. There was definitely an increase in participation in Western Australia and South Australia. Somehow the ARU managed to gently caress that up.

There doesn't seem to be much investment or involvement at the school and grassroots levels, where they can promote the game and start teaching the future players the basic skills that they need to hone over a lifetime. The fact that they're now basically relying on the odds and sods from New Zealand that can't make a Super Rugby side here speaks volumes, really. There are a few gems that get swept up like Mike Harris, but those are few and far between.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

There doesn't seem to be much investment or involvement at the school and grassroots levels, where they can promote the game and start teaching the future players the basic skills that they need to hone over a lifetime. The fact that they're now basically relying on the odds and sods from New Zealand that can't make a Super Rugby side here speaks volumes, really. There are a few gems that get swept up like Mike Harris, but those are few and far between.

After the Golden Era of Rugby, they kinda of anticipated a growth of interest in Super Rugby that they were hoping the regions would pick up the slack and push through grassroots reform and would be a path to more sustained junior numbers.
Outside of Canberra, that never really happened. Gee, I wonder why.
As I've said before, the interest levels they captured in 2003 with the Wallabies wasn't sustainable, because it was based on the idea that the AFL and NRL weren't going to recover from their then nadirs. Which was always going to happen when Vic and NSW teams won the respective flags. It didn't help that the Wallabies were the only team on Free-to-air, which is a big deal in Australia when a lot of kids don't have access to Foxtel because buying foxtel is a terrible loving idea.

The end result was a spectacular lack of investment in the states on the other side of the Barassi line, a general lack of investment everywhere and here we are 15 years later and the ARU is basically bankrupt and having to kill one of it's two "over the line" franchises.

The right move would have been to have pushed for a club rugby set up like they have in New Zealand or South Africa. Until the establishment of the NRC in 2014, they only vaguely tried once, in 2007 when it was way too late.
Rugby is reverting slowly to it's natural position as the private schoolboy sport in NSW and Queensland, and is losing what little grip it had on Victoria and WA. The only upside is that Rugby League is so far up it's own arse that it's in absolutely no position to counter the AFL's aggressive "WE ARE THE NATIONAL SPORT, gently caress YOU" move in putting teams everywhere (and, as a by-the-by, the AFL treats it's expansion teams far better than the NRL does), meaning that if the ARU ever got a second golden generation it would be in a decent position to do the actual right thing.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 1, 2017

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

redknob posted:

Turned on the Austria vs. Serbia game and was disappointed that Austria wasn't in their lederhosen kit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

That Beauden Barrett kick-pass is just getting silly now

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Hurricanes weren't too great though. A severe lack of discipline kept the Stormers within a sniff of winning. When a team is 5 or 6 tries to 1, the game shouldn't still be in the balance.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

bigfoot again posted:

That Beauden Barrett kick-pass is just getting silly now

He's stopped using his arms.
And now that Jordie (or however his name is spelt) has picked up his game with the ball (and boy has he loving ever - he was incredible last night), he's proving he's a real Barrett by failing with the boot.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Beauden Barrett is consistently the best #10 in the world, and Jordie Barrett is a loving magician.

By the time we get to July, The Lions will play a team composed entirely of clones of Beauden Barrett.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Tyma posted:

Beauden Barrett is consistently the best #10 in the world, and Jordie Barrett is a loving magician.

By the time we get to July, The Lions will play a team composed entirely of clones of Beauden Barrett.

It actually is feasible for NZ to have a backline consisting entirely of Smiths, Barretts and McKenzies.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Quade got schooled by a dude in his mid 30s.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Leave it to Beaver

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

How many games in a row have NZ teams won against AU teams?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Pity party for Pienaar today in Ulster vs Leinster, a dead rubber with nothing to play for in his last game. Love the guy, sad to see him go and even sadder he never won anything here.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Munster with six players in the Pro 12 best XV :rms:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Genuinely hope Munster win the league this year, anyone but a bunch of loving dubs again.

Roger Wilson with the opening try in his final game, at least someone got a fairytale ending.

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 6, 2017

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

The Rabbi T. White posted:

It actually is feasible for NZ to have a backline consisting entirely of Smiths, Barretts and McKenzies.

I've been thinking this through and I can't come up with one without Conrad Smith. Please elighten me otherwise

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Ben smith

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

What the gently caress are you doing Glasgow for fucks sake! Arrrrghhhh.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Self detonating?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Ospreys certainly are.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If anyone wants a rugby fix tonight, TV5 Monde have some live Top 14. It's free on Sky.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

WMain00 posted:

What the gently caress are you doing Glasgow for fucks sake! Arrrrghhhh.

making GBS threads the bed against an Edinburgh side playing their best rugby of the season (and still failing to win the 1872 cup in peak Edinburgh fashion).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ben Youngs isn't going on the Lions tour for family reasons. Who gets to be midweek scrum half now?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

And Dick Pic.
E: someone would be playing well out of position at 11 - but still.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

9. Aaron Smith
10. Marty McKenzie
11. Beauden Barrett
12. Fletcher Smith
13. Ben Smith
14. Damian McKenzie
15. Jordie Barrett

Fletcher Smith and the wingers are all out of position, but have the skills to possibly excel there. Ben Smith has spent time at 13 at the test level (2013 Autumn Internationals).

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 6, 2017

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

goatface posted:

Ben Youngs isn't going on the Lions tour for family reasons. Who gets to be midweek scrum half now?

Probably Danny Care or Gareth Davies I would think. Kieran Marmion might be in with an outside shot.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

goatface posted:

His sister-in-law (Tom Youngs' wife) has terminal cancer :(
Not sure who replaces him. How serious was Laidlaw's injury in the 6 Nations? Any chance of him making the tour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

stavros880 posted:

His sister-in-law (Tom Youngs' wife) has terminal cancer :(
Not sure who replaces him. How serious was Laidlaw's injury in the 6 Nations? Any chance of him making the tour?

hosed up ligaments, so probably not.

Edit: Never mind, the Lions have called up Laidlaw.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 6, 2017