Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ROY KOOPA
P WING
ROLLERS

smell you later alligator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

So my switch is coming tomorrow, already picked up Zelda and MK8.

I'm going on some long trips, a couple 12 hour drives and 12 hour flights. What is the best portable charger? How long can I Zelda for.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I just watched the ARMS Tournament stream on Nico Nico Douga. That game has the making of a surprise hit. The game translates well as a spectator sport, since the matches are intense trades of punches, flurries and grabs, even if the players themselves are not try-hard professionals. The finals was between a male and female players, which was not a one-ended final as one might've expected. The level of accessibility the game has reminds me of Dead or Alive's combat system. But like in DoA, there is room for highly technical gameplay. I'm certainly going to pick this game up in July with my Switch.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/858244518772183041

Spot Wario in the video.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
MK8's battle mode sucked and was the one flaw of the game, so I'm so so so overjoyed they're bringing back proper N64 style battles.

And MK8 is a really good game with ridiculously good graphics. It was really underrated, but like some people have said before... nobody had a WiiU. (I did) So it didn't get the play it deserved.

Switch desperately needs games right now beyond Zelda, so people are so ready to eat up some MK8.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Mario Kart 8 gave me that same sensation zelda did, where it feels almost impossible to have such a good looking game on a handheld.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Rexroom posted:

I just watched the ARMS Tournament stream on Nico Nico Douga. That game has the making of a surprise hit. The game translates well as a spectator sport, since the matches are intense trades of punches, flurries and grabs, even if the players themselves are not try-hard professionals. The finals was between a male and female players, which was not a one-ended final as one might've expected. The level of accessibility the game has reminds me of Dead or Alive's combat system. But like in DoA, there is room for highly technical gameplay. I'm certainly going to pick this game up in July with my Switch.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/858244518772183041

Spot Wario in the video.

Unless I'm blind Wario isn't in that clip...

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

ChocNitty posted:

Mario Kart 8 gave me that same sensation zelda did, where it feels almost impossible to have such a good looking game on a handheld.

:same:

this console is really good guys.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Aardvark Barber posted:

Unless I'm blind Wario isn't in that clip...

It's Bowser I think.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Healbot posted:

It's Bowser I think.

It's ya boy.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I jumped into a japanese players tournament with items disabled, and got spanked.

Is it worth completing all of the 1st player races, particularly the 2 lowest engine classes? All the stuff you get is just cosmetic, right?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Winning a cup will give you the trophy for that cup in the lower engine classes too, so there's no reason to play 50 or 100. The stuff you get isn't just cosmetic, but you can unlock it from playing any mode.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Winning a cup will give you the trophy for that cup in the lower engine classes too, so there's no reason to play 50 or 100. The stuff you get isn't just cosmetic, but you can unlock it from playing any mode.

this is a good and cool change from the wii u version, which did not mark off trophies for the lower speeds

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Don't play Tetris with a pro controller... so many accidental hard drops. Individual button directions on the joycons are mos def the way to go.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just bought a switch and got a joycon sync issue lol

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

never leave handheld mode friend.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I remember this being the case on the Wii U but I have several gold trophies on 200cc that indicate it isn't so here.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Why do some trophies have stars and some don't? The help section is pretty scarce.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

well why not posted:

Why do some trophies have stars and some don't? The help section is pretty scarce.

3 stars is a full 60 points (1st in all 4 courses)
2 stars is 57+
1 star is like.. 52+ I think

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Letting you have two items in Mario Kart was HELLA the right decision.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is there a way to swap between the two items?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Is there a way to swap between the two items?

Boomerang.

Also did anyone notice that the piranha plant eats bloopers?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BambooEarpick posted:

Hey, so have they started selling Switches yet? I really wanna get one!

They had an employee playing the town crier at Best Buy yesterday morning when I went in to pick up MK8D. "Just so you know, we've got Switches, neon and gray!" I got a kick out of it, it's like they were holding onto those shits for the next AAA release. Or maybe it was just a coincidence, idk, it's not like a retailer needs any help selling Switches yet.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

cheers. that should be in the OP.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

TerraGoetia posted:

Two things I caught from that video is that... grand masters leave one column open for the I block. And that's pretty much their only way they clear.
Also gms are... much better than I am about avoiding gaps in their lines. Watching him place his blocks was like watching art being made. gently caress.

Okay, so some clarification. This video is of the Grandmaster series, which has a primary focus on single-player, balls-hard challenges. The rule set PPT uses is not all that similar to TGM. Modern versus tetris places a higher emphasis on chaining, clearing lines with a piece, then immediately clearing with another, and so-on. Ideally, you'd want to make those B2B tetris clears, yes, but in real world practice it's not nearly so easy. You're also awarded bonus attack for technical feats like T-spins. Unless I'm mistaken, PPT also chooses where to put a hole in the garbage blocks it sends your opponent by shifting it a certain number of rows from where your clear was. This means if you always clear using the same I piece from the well on the right, your opponent will end up with a garbage well like in the screenshot they can easily use to counter it. That's the other benefit to mixing up where and how you clear.

You'll want to clear early and often. Obviously, Tetris clears are still your best friend, but not the end-all-be-all in this brave new tetris world. Feel free to hop into the dedicated thread to discuss more!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Argue posted:

I remember this being the case on the Wii U but I have several gold trophies on 200cc that indicate it isn't so here.

Completing 150cc definitely fills in 100 and 50, 200 is completely separate for some reason.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

What's your favorite optimal 200cc setup? What I use for 150cc is no good, too fast, no traction.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

enojy posted:

What's your favorite optimal 200cc setup? What I use for 150cc is no good, too fast, no traction.

roy koopa always
car irrelevant

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

alf_pogs posted:

roy koopa always
car irrelevant

My boy

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

cheers. that should be in the OP.

Someone please PM it to the OP.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
200 cc is Villager + City Clicker + whatever wheel who gives a poo poo

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

none of the switch controllers are a good fit for puyo puyo tetris

this sucks

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BattleMaster posted:

Why do you hurt me like this, Puyo Puyo Tetris

The real problem is that you aren't using Arle & Carbunkle, instead opting for Rulue, lover of Satan.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sea Sponge Run posted:

this sucks

i kind of want to try getting a spare joycon and soldering a sanwa jlf to it but i'll let someone else be the one to try that out

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sea Sponge Run posted:

this sucks

Hori is supposedly making a RAP for the Switch. Whether or not you want to buy a $150 fight stick to play Tetris on a console which will almost certainly never be an ideal platform for competitive fighters is up to you.

Alternatively, I think Brook is working on a converter for the Switch, which means you may soon be able to use the controller/stick of your choice.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

DoctorWhat posted:

HD Rumble is powered by Linear Resonant Actuators, which are fundamentally closer to a speaker than to a motor. There's some cool stuff the Steam Controller can do w/r/t playing music using its more primitive implementation of HD Rumble (which is mainly used for haptic feedback on the touchpads and triggers).

https://vimeo.com/132533086

EDIT: Each Joycon has multiple actuators.

This is extremely neat, thanks for posting it.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Does the Pro Controller have the same HD Rumble as both Joy Cons together or just one.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ometeotl posted:

Does the Pro Controller have the same HD Rumble as both Joy Cons together or just one.

Pretty sure it's got the same setup as a pair of cons

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I have been playing Mario kart with the sound off and it took me a while to get used to the sound of the rumble when you pick up a coin. it sounds like an upset stomach

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The rumble is really good. Feeling surface changes through the controller is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I've been playing handheld and barely even feel the rumble! I forget it is even happening unless I make a point of looking for it. Are my joycons bad or is it toned down for handheld?

• Locked thread