Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

He's not the first one either :unsmigghh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Axetrain posted:

He's not the first one either :unsmigghh:.

I'm the clan killer, Steelion is a Type 59 thief, but you....you're a monster. Good work.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

You're a 45% player over 2k games. Maybe the problem isn't your team?

:drat: :iceburn:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

WG *should* put bots in the game, and rig the MM to give them to chronic shitlers. If anything, it'd be fun to watch someone delude themselves when they rack up 15 kills against them and :smug: out on Twitch or Youtube.

"Heh...another tank cuuuuuuuuuuuuucked! Take that, :Vladislav:! Hey, why am I seeing so many people with those dots, is it a new clan or something?"

They already have bots, they're just limited to tiers 1-2 in the Proving Grounds game mode. I use it sometimes to test out mods or game playability on an iffy PC. I'd be more than happy with them just unleashing the bots on all tiers and shoveling shitlords into that game mode though!

Kilonum posted:

Looks like I picked the wrong weekend to come back to this game after not playing for a couple years :(

In other news, at least now I have a computer that stays at 60fps with everything maxed at 2560x1080

What's up UWHD buddy! :hfive: What monitor you got? (I'm using the 25UM56-P.)

Axetrain posted:

I just picked up a Luchs today because I have an IRL friend I have cruelly tricked into trying this game and we are working through the low tiers. Wish I knew about it earlier, it's lots of fun. Basically gangster style drive by shooting: the tank.

Yeah, we only talk about it and how great it is in this thread all the time. ;)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Atomizer posted:

29UB55-B

My entire complete build is here (sans my various sim controllers and gamepad)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Free exp discount worth any gold?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Free exp discount worth any gold?

If you're going to blow gold on free XP, you always should convert during a sale since it's a substantial bonus. Don't bother converting XP unless you've got clan or tourney gold income. I would strongly advise against paying Wargaming money for gold to convert XP since there's only a few tanks that you should free XP past, and only a few non-tier 9 tanks that you'd need to free XP the modules on and anything but a tier 9 you can just get the free XP through the natural 5% rate. It's just a hell of a lot of money to spend to convert 500k XP and you don't get enough value to be worth it.

Atomizer posted:

Kilonum posted:

29UB55-B

Hey I'm a blind rear end motherfucker that needs to lean closer to my monitors to be able to snipe in Far Cry, will these big ol' things make me a super pro? I do like buying big ol' things.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 29, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Hey I'm a blind rear end motherfucker that needs to lean closer to my monitors to be able to snipe in Far Cry, will these big ol' things make me a super pro? I do like buying big ol' things.

Well if you lean close to these monitors you'll need to turn your head left and right to see the sides! We're just talking about Ultrawide monitors, which have a 21:9 aspect ratio instead of a more common 16:9. There are a few reasons you'd use one of these:
- To watch movies in close to their natural aspect ratio without too much wasted space; for reasons I wont go into here, feature-length films are created in a variety of aspect ratios that happen to be wider than even 16:9, so if you were to view the original video, uncropped, you'd have wasted horizontal space above & below the image. Conversely, TV shows and other content are created for HD/FHD resolution, so viewing these on an Ultrawide creates vertical bars at the sides.
- To multitask easily: Ultrawide monitors can more easily work with full-width windows snapped side-by-side. You might also be into video/photo/sound editing where your workflow would easily fit on an Ultrawide where you'd otherwise have to use two displays side-by-side.
- For extra screen real estate as applicable to certain games. In WoT and many games, this means you can see extra stuff in the game world off to the sides, which could make things like CB easier. In some games, however, an Ultrawide can reduce your field of view because gently caress Blizzard, that's why.

Should you get one? It depends. Something like a FHD or QHD 144 Hz G-Sync monitor would probably be best for pure gaming, but I do really like this Ultrawide for my purposes. That model I mentioned is a good entry-level one; I got it several months ago for about $150, and the one he linked is roughly the 29" equivalent of mine at the same resolution. Note that these are both at the wide FHD resolution, and there are also WQHD (3440x1440) panels. Note that UWHD/WFHD is 33% more pixels to push than FHD (~2.7 vs 2 MP, which my 1070 handles just fine) while WQHD is a whopping 5 MP (4K/UHD is ~8.5 MP) so keep this in mind in terms of GPU power vs. the graphical details you like to run.

Also to note is that Ultrawide can be awkward to read on, because anything with text is formatted for a much narrower display. You either have Web pages with text down the center and mostly blank space on the sides (even with the browser window maximized) or you could expand the text size to take up the extra space, and if you do that you have to scroll up and down a ton more. This is why devices like the Google Pixel (which I'm typing on right now) and some newer Chromebooks have narrower than 16:9 displays, like the Samsung CB Plus/Pro with a 3:2.

Really, 16:9 is the best aspect ratio for mixed content nowadays, and FHD or QHD is the best resolution for a combination of price, performance (in gaming) and usability. But yeah, if you're like me and have multiple displays anyway, I totally recommend giving that cheap 25" Ultrawide a shot if any of the above points applies to you. Otherwise an aforementioned G-Sync gaming panel would be a better, albeit more expensive option.

There's also this Ultrawide laptop which I actually own, although the resolution leaves something to be desired (it's basically a "wide WXGA", "WWXGA" or maybe "UWXGA", at 1792x768.)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think somethings broken in the stats sites or the Pzr 7 is seriously undervalued in the calculation thingy.

Also after 10 games of being absolute poo poo and not having a clue how to play this tank, I'm starting to understand how it works.

It's pure troll at times. That JgpzrE100 player got so annoyed after the 2nd shot bounced and I put one through his lower plate that he just drove towards me and got nuked by my team mates. Also big shoutout to the Kranvagn and IS-7 who kept wasting shots to try and kill me when I was on sub 100hp instead of the much easier damaged mediums.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hellsau posted:

The only interaction I've had with you in game was when you shot me in the goddamn side for 350 damage because you spewed a shot off at an enemy over my O-I's hull even though that enemy tank was reloading and you could just peek out a bit further and take them out. My guess is that you're bad, and that's fine because you're reasonably new, but you're very rarely going to be the best player on your team. Start helping the good players carry your idiots, rather than dragging them down with you.

Man, let it go. This happens with every level of player.

quote:

Maybe 2000 battles isn't enough to even out

Perhaps.

quote:

but saying that you need to play for hours at a time to even out your odds of getting a good team shows a complete ignorance of statistics

Well then I'm extremely unlucky. Playing ten games and getting two wins a lot of the time tends to skew my perspective on the issue.
I do admit I need to work on my patience. I tend to get aggressive after a bit when no one feels like doing the same. Sometimes it works out, other times not so much.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

Well then I'm extremely unlucky.

yeah that must be it

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Atomizer posted:

Ultrawide stuff

Generally I always just put a text window on one half of my ultrawide, that's partially because I've got a 3440x1440 screen though, which is an absolute wall of monitor.

I'd say 16:9 is an awkward compromise because it's a bit too narrow for two windows at once, and there's so much use for more than one window at once it's not really worth optimizing for (and even if that were the case 16:10 would likely be better.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

If you could platoon an arti with two humans so that you had people reliably hitting the stuff you stun, do you think you could have done all 15 missions in 15 battles?

If the goal was to farm it out? drat it would go fast.

I know you, Hellsau have just said "SELL THE drat BC 12-t", but should I unlock the AMX 30 or is it crap too? have teh b-c 25 and 1390 unlocked already.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 29, 2017

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

My average winrate across 22 accounts is like 39%.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Unexpected posted:

Hi. What do you think about the new, premium Lorraine?
Thanks.

Personally I really like the new Lorraine and it works well as I am training a crew for my Batchat 25t. It has excellent pen for a t8 premium medium and does solid damage if you pen your full magazine. It also prints credits since it is really easy to pen things and you don't need to fire tons of premium ammo. You just need to account for it having paper armor like most of the French tanks and use its mobility to reposition often.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jago posted:

If the goal was to farm it out? drat it would go fast.

I know you, Hellsau have just said "SELL THE drat BC 12-t", but should I unlock the AMX 30 or is it crap too? have teh b-c 25 and 1390 unlocked already.

The 13 90 is very good. It's clearly inferior to a Skoda T50, but most tanks are, and the 13 90 can really put out a hurting while also doing a good scouting job. You'll probably die if you get suicide rushed while passive scouting and your idiots don't left click the enemy since the clip isn't big enough to outright kill anything, but if you're just active scouting or playing scavenger and spewing out shots you can really rack up the damage.

e: hey you know how I was laughing at how few viewers WGLNA's stream had? SCGTour, a third-tier Magic the Gathering tournament, is getting 11 thousand viewers. Some random Korean Hearthstone streamer has 10k viewers. WGLNA got 5-6 thousand viewers even by heavily bribing the viewers.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 29, 2017

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SocketWrench posted:

Man, let it go. This happens with every level of player.

Perhaps.

Well then I'm extremely unlucky. Playing ten games and getting two wins a lot of the time tends to skew my perspective on the issue.
I do admit I need to work on my patience. I tend to get aggressive after a bit when no one feels like doing the same. Sometimes it works out, other times not so much.

You're not unlucky. You're making bad decisions and then blaming it on 'bad luck'.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Would be easier to appreciate this awesome new update if the drat servers didn't keep making GBS threads the bed. :mad:

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Yeah, none of the European servers seem to be working at all right now. The game just freezes at the loading screen whenever I try to join a match.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The EU servers have crashed the last 2 days running. If you were in a queue trying to get into a game unlucky you're going to be locked out for awhile.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Sounds like the EU cluster has attained self-awareness and is killing itself in order to prevent a greater tragedy.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

That sucks. All I can do in the game now is click on the 'General' chat window, where frustrated nazis spam hatred against anyone who isn't them. Sometimes they also complain about the quality of Wargaming's services, but that mostly seems to be a side issue even now that the servers are down.

EDIT: Thankfully, the server booted me out entirely, so even that isn't possible anymore!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm having entirely too much fun trolling all the bads on the official forums with low-effort shitposting

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Nordick posted:

I'm having entirely too much fun trolling all the bads on the official forums with low-effort shitposting

That's like pooping into a sea of poo poo. Nobody will notice or care.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nordick posted:

Would be easier to appreciate this awesome new update if the drat servers didn't keep making GBS threads the bed. :mad:

I played a round yesterday to get the "We're sorry" reward and for the first half of the battle I had 500ms ping and bad ploss. Made the T69 challenging.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

McGavin posted:

That's like pooping into a sea of poo poo. Nobody will notice or care.
Not the point, a good bowel movement is still satisfying.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

My average winrate across 22 accounts is like 39%.

I still can't figure out the point of having 22 accounts you don't actually play

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I just logged in for the first time post-patch, what's the deal with me getting a million credits? What did those bastards take from me?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

R. Mute posted:

I just logged in for the first time post-patch, what's the deal with me getting a million credits? What did those bastards take from me?
Some sort of compensation for them switching around some light tanks tiers, I can't remember the specific conditions.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

R. Mute posted:

If you owned a tier 8 light that moved to tier 9, you got the tier 8 for free. If you already had the LTTB or M41 (which were tier 7s and moved to tier 8) you got full credit value for them.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

That'll be it. Good enough.

Speaking of the M41, is that tier VIII single shot gun new? I can't remember researching it. Looks like it might be better than the autoloader.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

R. Mute posted:

Speaking of the M41, is that tier VIII single shot gun new? I can't remember researching it. Looks like it might be better than the autoloader.
Yes and yes.

Full patch notes with all vehicle changes: https://worldoftanks.com/en/content/docs/918-updatenotes/

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

R. Mute posted:

The single shot gun always existed on the M41. When it was first released, the autoloader and single shot guns were both good. Then they heavily nerfed the single shot gun (they added almost a second to the reload) and minorly nerfed the autoloader, so the autoloader was the only viable gun. Now the single shot gun is adequate and the autoloader is completely worthless.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Sounding like a good patch already.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I just noticed the T-50 moved from tier 4 to tier 5 and got a ridiculously good gun.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

xthetenth posted:

Generally I always just put a text window on one half of my ultrawide, that's partially because I've got a 3440x1440 screen though, which is an absolute wall of monitor.

I'd say 16:9 is an awkward compromise because it's a bit too narrow for two windows at once, and there's so much use for more than one window at once it's not really worth optimizing for (and even if that were the case 16:10 would likely be better.

16:9 (or 16:10) being a compromise is in regards to that aspect ratio being able to handle most of the tasks you'd want it to without doing anything awkwardly. Ultrawide is good for feature films and multi-window or workflow-specific productivity, but bad for reading/browsing. 3:2, 4:3, or any narrow format is best for the opposite of Ultrawide (e.g. wide video wastes a ton of screen space above and below.) The common "wide" formats can do everything pretty well even while not being optimized for anything in particular (like dual-windows) except original HD-format video. Gaming, as I mentioned, is variable, with some games maybe being able to take advantage of extra height or others being able to adapt to Ultrawide, and Blizzard just plain loving Ultrawide users in the rear end.

Ultimately, though, since our primary focus here is on gaming, a G-Sync or Freesync monitor is going to be recommended (regardless of aspect ratio, size, or resolution.)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hellsau posted:

The single shot gun always existed on the M41. When it was first released, the autoloader and single shot guns were both good. Then they heavily nerfed the single shot gun (they added almost a second to the reload) and minorly nerfed the autoloader, so the autoloader was the only viable gun. Now the single shot gun is adequate and the autoloader is completely worthless.

Oh right, I thought they switched the old single shot gun for a new better one, but apparently they just gave the old gun new shells instead. Not that it's really a meaningful distinction though.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've got over 40k games and I have a win rate that's only slightly better than 48%. And I've got a message for Socket Wrench and everyone else who wants to blame their aggregate win rate on bad teams.

My win rate is because of me. I'm the problem. I admit that. I'm not putting in the effort to study more than a few youtube videos and text guides a month. I start battles where I forgot the playstyle of the tank I'm about to play. I jump from tank to tank to try and finish missions that honestly don't need to be finished. I'll drive into the fire from three enemy tanks to try and goomba stomp a fouth.

This is harmful for my teams. But it's also something that happens in online video games. We're not all going to get to purple, and if getting to purple makes the game unfun then you shouldn't even go for it.

The most horrible thing to admit is my compulsion to own or elite every tank in the game and have every character in Tapped Out. The former is effectively impossible. I'll achieve the latter after finishing a few more daily missions.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
To be honest I find it kinda baffling that my win rate after ~26,6k battles is a bit over 57% because I don't really feel like that good a player. I do so much dumb poo poo and regularly get completely clowned in the most embarrassing ways because I'm suicidally reckless. And I haven't ever really made much of a conscious effort to learn the game, I haven't watched any guides or poo poo, I've just been going with whatever I've picked up along the way and tried to click on red tanks better than they click on me.

I realise now that sounds like lovely humblebragging but I swear it's not, I sincerely find it odd that I've done as well as I have.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm firmly average at this game and I'm okay with that. Since I came back my winrate for the last 2000 games has been at 52% and I have to say thats almost entirely down to not playing shithouse tanks and actually applying thought to what i'm going to do. I had a pop at socket wrench for blaming bad luck instead of their bad decisions and I wanted to explain that a bit more. It's unlucky to get hit by a KV-2 shell from across the map. It's a bad decision to have driven into the open with no-where to hide that lets it happen.

Its no coincidence that I stopped (mostly) dying poo poo scrub tier deaths by actually thinking about the tank i'm in, where it can go, what its good at and what its not good at and how a bit of patience (particularly in TD's) can swing the game from a 300 damage death to a 3000+ damage game. Of course I still do stupid poo poo. The last game I played today I got caught in the west on Stalingrad. I knew I was in a bad position but instead of running when I had the chance, I tried to fire a few more shots and just got nuked by arty. Unlucky to get one shotted (especially in 9.18), bad decision to stay there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

If I just played the tanks I'm good at, I'd probably have a 58% WR and 2300 WN8 or something. But my average tier would probably be 6.8 or something, pulled up only by the O-Ho

Now, if I only played tanks I have fun in, I'd have a 60% WR and 3K WN8, with an average tier of 5.