Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

rydiafan posted:

Cain is, by far, my favorite robot/cyborg in cinema.

In keeping with the thread topic, I love that he had spiked toes that come down to anchor him when he fires his shoulder cannon.

The design of the robot is excellent. The scene where he is introduced in varying levels of lighting and murders the city officials and his old crew is such a perfectly done reveal. Robocop 2 is a highly underrated movie, it takes on the exact tone of the first one. So much so that I often associate scenes from one movie to the other. Directed by Irvin Kershner (Empire Strikes Back).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about Robocop 2 was that the special nuke holder case things were just cassette tape holders.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
In The Bourne Identity, there's a scene where Jason Bourne escapes from the US Embassy in Germany while evading a security team. At 1:38 you can here on the radio chatter "Target may have a radio", and the next shot with Jason he's no longer wearing it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My favorite thing about Robocop 2 was that the special nuke holder case things were just cassette tape holders.

I've always been partial to the neon technicolor drug tubes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1B3xs_dsV8

Not subtle, but maybe my favorite part about the movie as a kid

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

I've always been partial to the neon technicolor drug tubes.

Those were actually just contact lens/saline remoistureizer packets dyed neon orange. Some over the counter stuff (can't recall the brand offhand).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzEvKPAU_QU

Listening to Tippet talk about his work on Robocop 2 is great, as is his super jaded attitude to the interviewer.
Nerd: "So when the film is being shot at 24 frames per second, how many stop motion shots are you making for that?"
Tippet: "Well, 24."

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Apr 30, 2017

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Gorson posted:

The design of the robot is excellent. The scene where he is introduced in varying levels of lighting and murders the city officials and his old crew is such a perfectly done reveal. Robocop 2 is a highly underrated movie, it takes on the exact tone of the first one. So much so that I often associate scenes from one movie to the other. Directed by Irvin Kershner (Empire Strikes Back).

My favorite part of RoboCop 2 was how he forgot he was Alex Murphey from RoboCop 1.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Gorson posted:

Although it has aspects of a very good film, Robocop 2 is a bloody mess from a script and pacing point of view. The scene youre talking about is in an entire half hour of the film where Murphy isnt in a single scene. Then the entire "reprogram robocop" subplot goes nowhere and doesnt fit the tone of the rest of the film.

Its kind of a shame they didnt spend more time honing out the script and didnt turn murphy back into a half brainless "robocop" despite him regaining his humanity in the first film as the effort and feel of the film was really top notch.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah I remember watching Robocop in my early 20s for the first time and really enjoying it. So then we queued up Robocop 2 and enjoyed it but with a few "huh? Where did that bit go?" kind of moments.

Then we watched Robocop 3, in which Robocop is able to fly basically like superman and there are ninja robocops that fight each other and are perfectly matched. It was dreadful.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was 12 when I saw Robocop 3 and even I, a guileless child, could tell it was bad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The best commentary track is any with The Rock.
It's usually just him talking about the upcoming action, reacting to it and then saying how cool it is.

No insight, no secrets.
Just 120 minutes of Dwayne Johnson going, "Oh poo poo this guy right here -a real nice dude- he's gonna get obliterated riiiiiiiiiiight... NOW! OH YEAH. Man that's cool!"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

marshmallow creep posted:

I was 12 when I saw Robocop 3 and even I, a guileless child, could tell it was bad.

Out of curiosity I checked what the internet thinks.

A perfectly linear trend.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Reno 911: Miami has multiple commentary tracks done by the cast, in character. It's glorious.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Memento posted:

Out of curiosity I checked what the internet thinks.

A perfectly linear trend.

Where does the remake fall?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Out of memory, mostly.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

GrandpaPants posted:

Out of memory, mostly.

To its credit its a FAR better film then robocop3 was :v:

It really could have been so much better then it was. The writers mostly knew what they were doing in subverting the originals "regaining humanity" into him "losing humanity" but just hosed up with boring villains and an average overall plot. Considerably better then the Total Recall remake though.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Memento posted:

Then we watched Robocop 3, in which Robocop is able to fly basically like superman and there are ninja robocops that fight each other and are perfectly matched. It was dreadful.

What is baffling is that in Robocop 3 Robo has a machinegun arm, jet pack and he fights robot ninjas and yet the film is utterly boring.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I like it when the little girl hacks ED-209.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Robocop 3 is also rated PG-13

How anyone involved with the production continued beyond that decision is loving baffling.

Also, it sat on the shelf for three years as Orion was going bankrupt.

Oh, and when Robocop loses an arm, you can see it tied behind his back for the entire scene. Like right there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Dunno, Kodi seems to handle it fine and that's opensource by a bunch of enthusiasts.
Well, there you go. Enthusiasts have no problem putting more effort into a project to achieve high quality, and high quality is its own reward. Commercial companies put in just enough effort that the end product isn't actually faulty. If you're any kind of internet joint, that's not even a very strict requirement.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Nutsngum posted:

To its credit its a FAR better film then robocop3 was :v:

It really could have been so much better then it was. The writers mostly knew what they were doing in subverting the originals "regaining humanity" into him "losing humanity" but just hosed up with boring villains and an average overall plot. Considerably better then the Total Recall remake though.

I enjoyed the Total Recall remake though, it was a fun action movie. Had they called it anything else than a total recall remake, it would have been fine. The stories are similar but far enough apart that if you changed a few things, it would have been Fun Action Movie instead of Bad Total Recall Remake.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well, there you go. Enthusiasts have no problem putting more effort into a project to achieve high quality, and high quality is its own reward. Commercial companies put in just enough effort that the end product isn't actually faulty. If you're any kind of internet joint, that's not even a very strict requirement.

To be honest I did not really put Netflix in that category seeing what they already built.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Coffee And Pie posted:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Nutsngum posted:

Although it has aspects of a very good film, Robocop 2 is a bloody mess from a script and pacing point of view. The scene youre talking about is in an entire half hour of the film where Murphy isnt in a single scene. Then the entire "reprogram robocop" subplot goes nowhere and doesnt fit the tone of the rest of the film.

The whole thing stinks of Frank Miller, no matter how much they hosed with his script

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The whole thing stinks of Frank Miller, no matter how much they hosed with his script

And then Miller finally turned his original script for Robocop II into a comic and it was loving terrible.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Inzombiac posted:

The best commentary track is any with The Rock.
It's usually just him talking about the upcoming action, reacting to it and then saying how cool it is.

No insight, no secrets.
Just 120 minutes of Dwayne Johnson going, "Oh poo poo this guy right here -a real nice dude- he's gonna get obliterated riiiiiiiiiiight... NOW! OH YEAH. Man that's cool!"

I bought the DVD for Resident Evil purely on the strength of it having a commentary track like this. The director or producer or something is there trying to provide technical insights, then there's like three actors including Rodriguez and Jovovich just nerding out over how fun the action sequences were, complete with Rodriguez frequently lamenting on not being allowed to more brutally murder this zombie and that because they're played by someone high up in the crew.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Few things beat the commentary track of Cannibal: The Musical which is Trey Parker, Matt Stone and all the other main actors watching the movie, getting piss drunk and rushing out the door during the credits to go to the strip club.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Robocop 3 is also rated PG-13

How anyone involved with the production continued beyond that decision is loving baffling.

To sell more toys.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Few things beat the commentary track of Cannibal: The Musical which is Trey Parker, Matt Stone and all the other main actors watching the movie, getting piss drunk and rushing out the door during the credits to go to the strip club.

It gets a little creepy when Parker drunkenly insults his ex-fiancée (who plays the woman interviewing Packer) every time she's on screen.

"Look at that loving BITCH!" etc

Afriscipio posted:

To sell more toys.

You're to sell more toys!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I liked Tropic Thunders commentary because Robert Downy Jr didn't break character until after the credits rolled.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It gets a little creepy when Parker drunkenly insults his ex-fiancée (who plays the woman interviewing Packer) every time she's on screen.

"Look at that loving BITCH!" etc

He named Cartman's mom after her, so every Cartman's mom joke was actually aimed at her.

He's got some issues.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

And then Miller finally turned his original script for Robocop II into a comic and it was loving terrible.

Why did it take people so long to figure out Frank Miller has been basically writing the same grumpy old man story for 30 years anyway?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Why did it take people so long to figure out Frank Miller has been basically writing the same grumpy old man story for 30 years anyway?

One time I called Frank Miller "old iron butt"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nice

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Frank Miller is the kind of person that got mugged upon moving to New York City thirty years ago and has never gotten over it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The people who thought the stories were edgy and cool 30 years ago are now old enough to realise that they were dumb and wrong. And those people are now making business decisions that affect whether or not his crap gets made into movies or whatever.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WampaLord posted:

He named Cartman's mom after her, so every Cartman's mom joke was actually aimed at her.

He's got some issues.

Apparently Butters is based on a co-worker too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Kyle's mom is apparently Matt Stone's own mom, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I hear that Saddam Hussein is based on a real person too.