Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Just use aji mirin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

emotive posted:

Is there a good source online for buying hon-mirin? I checked two Asian groceries near me today and one had none at all, the other an asinine amount of Kikkoman aji-mirin.

Whole Foods had Eden brand, but $12 for a 10 oz bottle seems insane.

I honestly just use any cooking wine labeled as being rice-based and add a tiny amount of sugar if I want it sweeter, although I don't usually.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I honestly just use any cooking wine labeled as being rice-based and add a tiny amount of sugar if I want it sweeter, although I don't usually.

Yeah, I may just go that route for now or cave and just buy the Aji stuff (the ingredients list is just a bit of a turn-off). I do have Shaoxing wine, but I believe they're quite different.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sake with sugar would be a lot closer than Shaoxing. But I would look around online, I can buy hon mirin for like $2 a bottle on the internet in China so I can't imagine it's not available in a real country.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Sake with sugar would be a lot closer than Shaoxing. But I would look around online, I can buy hon mirin for like $2 a bottle on the internet in China so I can't imagine it's not available in a real country.

This is the only source I can find that doesn't have some astronomical shipping fee...

https://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/asian-food/sauces-seasoning/flavor-enhancers-dashi/morita-honjozo-mirin-33-fz

Think I'll just order this -- $16 for 33 oz. vs $12 for 10 oz is a bit easier to swallow.

emotive fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 27, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
does anyone know the magic technique behind 'burnt miso' ramen?

I had this poo poo in kyoto and it was.... insanely good...

google has failed me thusfar.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

This? Sounds like they cook the miso to a deep color over a high flame. Not sure how the shop specifically does it but there's many ways you could go about cooking miso until it's really dark.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I used to get these big glass bottles of mirin, Takara Masamune, but I couldn't find any last time I ran out, and looking it up some website says its discontinued :(

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

hakimashou posted:

I used to get these big glass bottles of mirin, Takara Masamune, but I couldn't find any last time I ran out, and looking it up some website says its discontinued :(

Regular Takara is still available (at least in my liquor store).

emotive, if you've only been looking at grocery stores, you should try liquor stores; depending on your location hon-mirin might only be able to be sold there due to the alcohol content and lack of salt (that's the case in NYC, anyway).

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Scythe posted:

Regular Takara is still available (at least in my liquor store).

emotive, if you've only been looking at grocery stores, you should try liquor stores; depending on your location hon-mirin might only be able to be sold there due to the alcohol content and lack of salt (that's the case in NYC, anyway).

Yeah, I checked when I went to grab sake tonight and no luck unfortunately. Funnily enough they had some super fancy looking Shaoxing wine but no mirin.

Anyway I ordered that stuff I linked above so I guess I'm all set.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
For future reference, mirin is definitely one of those things you can leave out and nobody will notice.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I think that really depends on what you're making.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Can you just put in sake and sugar in lieu of mirin?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I think that really depends on what you're making.

I agree. It's not going to make it garbage but both mirin and sugar are things that are noticeable in their absence from a lot of Japanese food. If it's something that:

A) has sake
B) has sweetness from other ingredients
C) has heavy flavors from the non-liquid ingredients

You can probably get away with it.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

mindphlux posted:

If you have Amazon Prime, there's a series on it called Prime Japan. The host/narrator is largely insufferable, but then he gives way to a Japanese voiceover. Anyway, watch the episode about ramen. It might not actually give you kitchen tips, but there's a segment about a badass old lady who makes burnt miso ramen by manually double-blowtorching the poo poo out of the broth several times before serving.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ALFbrot posted:

If you have Amazon Prime, there's a series on it called Prime Japan. The host/narrator is largely insufferable, but then he gives way to a Japanese voiceover. Anyway, watch the episode about ramen. It might not actually give you kitchen tips, but there's a segment about a badass old lady who makes burnt miso ramen by manually double-blowtorching the poo poo out of the broth several times before serving.

awesome, thanks!!

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I have a drat rice cooker, this is what's giving me the shits! I can cook literally any kind of rice but sushi rice and it's frigging perfect. But it doesn't seem to matter how much water I put in there with the grains (I've been up to 1.5:1), it ends up loving burnt! I'm a competent cook, but Japanese rice makes me feel like a complete imbecile.

If my god-drat poo poo-loving rice cooker can't get it right, I have no reason to think it's going to be any less stuck-to-the-bottom godawful gross if I do it over a flame, but I suppose this is my only option. I'll just have to baby it I guess.

How burnt are we talking here?
I know rice cookers aren't SUPPOSED to have a burnt bottom to them, but the crispy rice on the bottom of the pan is usually delicious. It's called okoge. It can be eaten on its own, or used to make ochazuke.

If you're getting an absolutely blackened bottom, something is really wrong. When you make stovetop rice, the bottom should be crispy and browned.

I understand this is really frustrating. :( I hope the stovetop option works for you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Are you doing lazy sushi rice by adding the vinegar and sugar to the rice cooker? That always makes the bottom layer burn in my experience.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Stringent posted:

For future reference, mirin is definitely one of those things you can leave out and nobody will notice.

For future reference, never trust cooking advice from forums user 'Stringent'.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nah son, like gf said, one you got sake and sugar (which is 90% of the recipes that call for mirin), you can get away without it.

I mean, better if you got it but you can get away without it.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

How burnt are we talking here?
I know rice cookers aren't SUPPOSED to have a burnt bottom to them, but the crispy rice on the bottom of the pan is usually delicious. It's called okoge. It can be eaten on its own, or used to make ochazuke.

If you're getting an absolutely blackened bottom, something is really wrong. When you make stovetop rice, the bottom should be crispy and browned.

I understand this is really frustrating. :( I hope the stovetop option works for you.

Nah, not black, but usually kind of stuck.

It sounds like I'm just getting that crispy brown stuff you say is delicious, but it tastes (and feels) wrong to me. I don't get it with any other kind of rice; only Japanese short-grain. Weird as, but maybe nothing is wrong.

Grand Fromage posted:

Are you doing lazy sushi rice by adding the vinegar and sugar to the rice cooker? That always makes the bottom layer burn in my experience.

Nah, just water and rice.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

mindphlux posted:

Coincidentally, I just ate this in Kyoto three days ago. It is seriously awesome. We're you at Gogyo? The bowl looks like what I had. I'm also mulling over how to reproduce this.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 29, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gogyo burnt miso ramen is awesome and everybody should go if you're in Kyoto.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Semirelated, I guess...? It's not cooking but it is about tea implements. I recently acquired a chawan. Is it cool to post about chanoyu in here or should I dig up the drinks thread?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Semirelated, I guess...? It's not cooking but it is about tea implements. I recently acquired a chawan. Is it cool to post about chanoyu in here or should I dig up the drinks thread?

That's cool with me, I don't mind at all.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Do it!

P.S. Replace the potatoes in your nikujaga with chunks of lotus root and daikon, y'all. It is goooood.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

P.S. Replace the potatoes in your nikujaga with chunks of lotus root and daikon, y'all. It is goooood.

Why not both

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I like putting Japanese sweet potato in my niku jaga.
Or kabocha.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ask me about trying to follow a Japanese potato salad recipe and accidentally buying sweet potatoes.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

While we're sorta on the topic of ramen still; what's the usual spice added to spicy miso ramen? I've got an assortment of stuff but not sure which to use. I have homemade sichuan chili oil and red pepper flakes, doubanjiang, togarashi, sambal, etc.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
You should give this a shot, the ramen he's trying to copy owns:

http://ramenrecipe.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-127.html

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Coincidentally, I just ate this in Kyoto three days ago. It is seriously awesome. We're you at Gogyo? The bowl looks like what I had. I'm also mulling over how to reproduce this.

yeah it was loving amazing. I just wandered in, didn't seek it out or anything. realizing how much of a happy coincidence that was in retrospect. by far the best bowl of ramen I had while in japan.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Why not both

don't tell me how to live my life, you cheese tea

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is there a traditionally spicy dish in Japan (besides curry)? I know Japanese food isn't known for its heat but I figure they must've picked up something from China or Korea over the centuries.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

al-azad posted:

Is there a traditionally spicy dish in Japan (besides curry)? I know Japanese food isn't known for its heat but I figure they must've picked up something from China or Korea over the centuries.

Aside from a condiment made by grating a daikon that has been pierced with small hot red peppers, I don't personally know of any traditionally spicy Japanese dishes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Aside from a condiment made by grating a daikon that has been pierced with small hot red peppers, I don't personally know of any traditionally spicy Japanese dishes.

I need to know of this condiment and "hot daikon" isn't doing much.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can't think of any, either. All that's coming to mind are imports like curry and ma po tofu.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

al-azad posted:

I need to know of this condiment and "hot daikon" isn't doing much.

Momiji oroshi iirc. The name refers to red maple leaves. I've mainly had it in ponzu sauce with sashimi. You pierce a daikon and insert rehydrated chili peppers (poke em in with a chopstick). Then grate and drain before serving.

Okay, here's my newest piece of tea ware. This is a bizen style tea bowl made by Mori Tozan. I've included the box since it's also an important component. Sorry that it is currently untied!

There's a specific way to tie the box ribbon. The indigo cloth is for wrapping the bowl and makes it a bit easier to take out, since there isn't too much spare room inside.

Today I finished preparing the tea bowl for use, so it's just drying out a bit more before I whisk some thin tea in it for the first time.

Here's Mori Tozan's signature. Mori is the potter's family name and Tozan is his pottery name. He specializes in bizen ware.

e: I decided I should expand a little on the subject. Recently I've returned to studying tea, and during my honeymoon I got to attend an urasenke style ceremony. Not the full blown four hour formal type, but a shorter two hour demonstration including arranging charcoal and heating the iron kettle over it -- a rarity these days when most practitioners use an electric heat source or kettle.

Many practitioners will say that practicing the Japanese tea ceremony will let you understand everything about the culture, since the ceremony incorporates so many different arts as well as a particularly close relationship with Zen and with the nation's history. The school of tea I mentioned, urasenke, is the biggest of the three main schools that came from Sen no Rikyu's successors. Sen no Rikyu's is a pretty notable historical figure and well worth reading about. You could say he is at least partly responsible for the wabi sabi aesthetic -- which is what the above tea bowl is all about.

The "thin tea" I mentioned is made with matcha powder. It's also what I was served during the demo and is commonly served during these more truncated and casual tea ceremonies. The type of matcha used in these events is much higher quality than what is typically used for flavoring cakes and lattes; the food grade matcha would wind up unpalatably bitter for most people. Matcha is still one of those things where a higher price mostly goes hand in hand with higher quality. The better grades of ceremonial matcha are less bitter and more floral, and well worth exploring without going all in on the ceremonial side.

Thin tea generally has about two scoops of matcha from a small bamboo implement called the chashaku. It's still much thicker than steeped tea! Thick tea uses about three times as much matcha. Both are whisked with a bamboo whisk called a chasen. Getting a good foamy head is pretty important and the process also helps cool the scalding hot water a bit for the guest.

Anyway that's not much of an overview, but gently caress it I hope someone found it a bit informative!

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 2, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Is the clay... supposed to look like the poo poo you take after a food truck festival? Your bowl looks like someone enjoyed a lot of meat on a stick and mexicorn.

I mean, no disrespect to the hand crafting and very authentic nature of it, but that clay and glaze looks hella rough.

edit: My mistake, I have done some googling, and holy hell. Yours is not the roughest of the bunch by far.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I went to a place called Tokyo Fish Market in Berkeley and got some maguro, but I was confused because they had both salmon and specifically sashimi-grade salmon, but I saw no such distinction for the available tuna ( I think one was described as bluefin).

Does maguro always mean sashimi-grade ahi?