Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When the fresh pretzels at the store are inexplicably made with no salt (or have like 2 grains on the whole thing). It's fine to offer saltless ones for the weirdos but making the entire batch that way is annoying. The other extreme is bad too where they are more white than brown because of the insane amount of salt they put on, but at least in that case you can scrape some off.

This is one of my more petty pet peeves but hey, I like pretzels and being able to get fresh ones at the store is one of the top perks of living in Germany and it ruins the shopping trip when I can't get any.

Not having easy access to Augustiner, Hofbrauhaus, or Lowenbrau beer or pretzels is a pet peeve of mine. My sister lives in Germany and keeps sending me smug snapchats of all the fun times she has and I miss it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:h: brezeln

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really miss spawn camping in FPS games. I used to love just sitting in front of a spawn point in Quake 2 and killing dudes over and over with a rail gun. I could usually get away with 5 or 6 kills before someone stopped me.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I spent far too much time as a kid spawn killing my own team in Quake.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
FPS games in general are plagued with the same issue all modern multiplayer games: everyone is taking them way too seriously. I tried playing overwatch and even when I was level 1 I was getting raged at by people for picking the wrong guy, not knowing where "the choke" is, etc. Settle down, games are supposed to be fun. There is a competitive mode so you'd think you could avoid the tryhards by not playing that, but it's the same crowd of people - just in the non-competitive mode it's the ones who suck too much to be competitive but have the same toxic attitudes.

Camping in general in FPS games is my specific game peeve though. I don't know how people can stand just sitting in the same spot for minutes straight. If that's what it takes to be good, I don't want to be good, I'll just stick to running around constantly with my "mediocre" kill/death ratio.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FPS games in general are plagued with the same issue all modern multiplayer games: everyone is taking them way too seriously. I tried playing overwatch and even when I was level 1 I was getting raged at by people for picking the wrong guy, not knowing where "the choke" is, etc. Settle down, games are supposed to be fun. There is a competitive mode so you'd think you could avoid the tryhards by not playing that, but it's the same crowd of people - just in the non-competitive mode it's the ones who suck too much to be competitive but have the same toxic attitudes.
Multiplayer games are and always have been only fun with friends. Playing games with random strangers is a terrible idea.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Multiplayer games are and always have been only fun with friends. Playing games with random strangers is a terrible idea.

I would agree it is more fun with friends, but not necessary. If you can't hear/talk to strangers there is no problem - the real problem is the ability to text chat. If hearthstone did anything right it's not allowing any actual form of interaction aside from emotes during the game. Imagine if they had a sidebar for text chat during matches - there would be at least several death threats, racial slurs, etc per game. It's already terrible enough as it is with people inviting you after games so they can rage at you.

Anyway, new peeve: people who don't mind their own business. Usually it's my family who does this, but also coworkers. If I'm gone for even a day, the next day I get bombarded with "where were you? what were you doing? why didn't you say you wouldn't be on facebook today?" etc. If I wanted to tell you I would have, if someone says "I was busy/out for the day/etc" it should be taken as "and don't press me for more details". I mean if I missed something important like a meeting and I'm being asked by someone who has authority over me sure I'll answer, but otherwise mind your own business.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

BioEnchanted posted:

I never noticed anything like that here, but I have heard that kind of laugh since elsewhere - a kind of desperate, almost forced "I get that reference and must let everyone know" kind of shriek.

Scattered throughout the theatre when I went to see Spamalot were various 20-30 years or so old guys on their ownsome, and every one of them had that laugh. It was like listening to loons talk back and forth to one another across a Minnesota lake.

Re: TV show chat and spoilers -- my version of that peeve is being with someone who is absolutely crazy about a show that I've not had or ever will have any interest in. I don't judge, no worries, because God knows I watch some silly stuff and hey, to each his/her own. But this is a 50-year-old woman who is not only seriously into Game of Thrones but talks about the characters as if they were people she actually knows. I honest to God didn't know who the gently caress she was talking about at first, and then realised that over the course of the few weeks I spent with her recently that she was referencing the various characters throughout our conversation. It's got to the point where she buys certain types of jewelery or whatever, and says, 'This is so totally what [random GoT character] would wear.'

She doesn't cosplay, thank gently caress, but honestly, I have enough time keeping track of the actual human beings she knows and talks about without 12,000 fictional characters entering into the equation.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

BioEnchanted posted:

It's like when my brother watched a few LP videos with me from goons, where he mentioned that it seemed like a lot of people online laugh like they've never heard anyone laugh before. I never noticed anything like that here, but I have heard that kind of laugh since elsewhere - a kind of desperate, almost forced "I get that reference and must let everyone know" kind of shriek.

Similarly, there's a very specific laugh you only hear from liberal audiences at showings of liberal movies in liberal/art-house theaters, and it's like the sound of back-patting turned into smug chuckling from the kind of people who probably think watching Rachel Maddow is a form of political protest.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Nice shirts with lovely buttons.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Similarly, there's a very specific laugh you only hear from liberal audiences at showings of liberal movies in liberal/art-house theaters, and it's like the sound of back-patting turned into smug chuckling from the kind of people who probably think watching Rachel Maddow is a form of political protest.

Yessss...I remember the first time I ever heard that particular laugh: when I saw "Spellbound" (spelling bee documentary) in a packed theater in Bethesda, Maryland. Lots of guys wearing shoes with no socks that night.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
False pockets and vanity sizing

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Permanent ranking and score in videogames. Even in noncompetitive videogames it's still this awful thing that people who are far too into the game wind up judging you on and restricts having actual fun playing to just you and your buds.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

Gloryhold It! posted:

False pockets and vanity sizing

Oh my god gently caress any kind of nonfunctional pocket. I don't WANT to carry a goddamn purse everywhere just let me stuff my wallet keys and phone in my pants already! I don't even buy fashionable pants, they all undersize the drat things.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

ishikabibble posted:

Permanent ranking and score in videogames. Even in noncompetitive videogames it's still this awful thing that people who are far too into the game wind up judging you on and restricts having actual fun playing to just you and your buds.

I don't get why anyone would play a video game with anyone but their buds.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Barnes And Body Works posted:

I swear to loving god, people who hover around the bathroom waiting for you to get out of it or start pacing around the bathroom making it clearly obvious that they're waiting to get in the bathroom, ESPECIALLY WHEN there's a free bathroom elsewhere.

This poo poo makes me so mad its not even funny, especially when I'm trying to take a colossal loving dump and then somebody is walking around pacing for you to get out of the bathroom, like gently caress off?

I once spent the majority of my 10-minute break waiting for someone to get out of our only work bathroom. They were just on a phone call, they didn't even flush when they left. I was on my period. I definitely knocked a few times

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Ms Boods posted:

Scattered throughout the theatre when I went to see Spamalot were various 20-30 years or so old guys on their ownsome, and every one of them had that laugh. It was like listening to loons talk back and forth to one another across a Minnesota lake.

Re: TV show chat and spoilers -- my version of that peeve is being with someone who is absolutely crazy about a show that I've not had or ever will have any interest in. I don't judge, no worries, because God knows I watch some silly stuff and hey, to each his/her own. But this is a 50-year-old woman who is not only seriously into Game of Thrones but talks about the characters as if they were people she actually knows. I honest to God didn't know who the gently caress she was talking about at first, and then realised that over the course of the few weeks I spent with her recently that she was referencing the various characters throughout our conversation. It's got to the point where she buys certain types of jewelery or whatever, and says, 'This is so totally what [random GoT character] would wear.'

She doesn't cosplay, thank gently caress, but honestly, I have enough time keeping track of the actual human beings she knows and talks about without 12,000 fictional characters entering into the equation.

You ever tried telling someone you're not interested in Breaking Bad? They act like it's a personal insult. I'm sure it's a good show, I'm not saying you can't like it, I just have no desire to watch six seasons of a show I'm probably not gonna like.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

ghost emoji posted:

You ever tried telling someone you're not interested in Breaking Bad? They act like it's a personal insult. I'm sure it's a good show, I'm not saying you can't like it, I just have no desire to watch six seasons of a show I'm probably not gonna like.

Oh my GOD people get so weird about BB

Also Mad Men. I don't freak out if someone tells me they tried the good wife and didn't like it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ghost emoji posted:

I once spent the majority of my 10-minute break waiting for someone to get out of our only work bathroom. They were just on a phone call, they didn't even flush when they left. I was on my period. I definitely knocked a few times

That's on your employer, not the person I think. One bathroom total is unacceptable unless your office consists of like, 3 people.

I still think knocking is unacceptable. The vast majority of the time they are in there because they too are dealing with bathroom stuff. Like if they were in there taking a massive poo poo, what is knocking going to accomplish? It's not always a process you can rush. The only time knocking is something I'd condone is if you know for a fact they are in there on their phone or jerking off or something. Otherwise it's just a "I know you're in there making GBS threads" signal and it makes things awkward for everyone.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ghost emoji posted:

:stonk:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

haha I'm glad we're moving in a week cos our whole place reeks of weed again :waycool:

if we do get a chance to leave feedback like they've mentioned, I'll be sure to bring it up :~)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

teenytinymouse posted:

Oh my GOD people get so weird about BB

Also Mad Men. I don't freak out if someone tells me they tried the good wife and didn't like it

General Internet consensus about The Wire I've seen is that you need to watch the first two seasons in full before giving it a chance because "it's a slow-burning show and you really need to watch everything. It starts off kind of boring and slow, but finds its voice starting in season 3."

No loving thanks. I usually give a new show I've never seen at least four or five episodes before judging it. Chances are if I need to watch two whole seasons of a show because nothing is explained until the third season and you yourself are telling me that the first two seasons are "kind of boring and slow," then it's not a very good show.

Why yes, it's perfectly acceptable to be completely disgusted and turned off of popular media by its rabid fanbase.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

You Are A Elf posted:

General Internet consensus about The Wire I've seen is that you need to watch the first two seasons in full before giving it a chance because "it's a slow-burning show and you really need to watch everything. It starts off kind of boring and slow, but finds its voice starting in season 3."

No loving thanks. I usually give a new show I've never seen at least four or five episodes before judging it. Chances are if I need to watch two whole seasons of a show because nothing is explained until the third season and you yourself are telling me that the first two seasons are "kind of boring and slow," then it's not a very good show.

Why yes, it's perfectly acceptable to be completely disgusted and turned off of popular media by its rabid fanbase.

This, but for Babylon 5. I gave the show a fair chance when it first aired. Stop trying to tell me that it's my fault I couldn't sit through a whole season of nothing happening.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

You Are A Elf posted:

I usually give a new show I've never seen at least four or five episodes before judging it.
That's generous. If the first episode is mediocre, I'll watch the second to see if it improves. If it hasn't grabbed me by then, I've wasted enough time.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

You Are A Elf posted:

That's not true at all about the wire. They throw a bunch of characters at you in the first 2 episodes, so if you have a short attention span you might find the first 2 episodes dense and boring, but it's not the first two seasons you have to power through.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
You're not allowed to still think a thing is bad if you've passed the arbitrary point after which it Gets Good, either. You're just experiencing it wrong, or possibly a masochist.

Those markers very rarely exist as actual points of improved quality, and the exceptions to my knowledge usually have those markers be fairly early (one I can think of that I agree with is Star Trek TNG hitting its stride after Riker grows his beard, but even pre-beard TNG was decent). Those markers usually exist so that criticisms of the thing people like can be dismissed without much issue.

I'm still mad about Fallout 4.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Back in the day I always used to say, you can't do most decent books justice with a two hour movie, they should make them all into TV shows. Now we have a ton of decent TV shows and no one has the time to watch them all, and you have to watch everything as it's first broadcast, not so much because of the internet and spoilers (your business whether you care about that) but because no matter how good you've heard Breaking Bad is you're not going to catch up with five seasons, stop kidding yourself. Careful what you wish for is the lesson here.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you don't like The Wire after 4 episodes then yeah it's probably not for you. I didn't see the big deal about the show until episode 4 where they start figuring out the codes and you realize this show is working on another level. Not that the show is perfect. There are plenty of cringey parts like the chess game where it hits you over the head with its deep important message. But people also don't give enough credit to The Wire for being really funny. It's not a 100% dour show full of despair.

Also if you don't like the show you probably just hate black people.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 15:01 on May 1, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Back in the day I always used to say, you can't do most decent books justice with a two hour movie, they should make them all into TV shows. Now we have a ton of decent TV shows and no one has the time to watch them all, and you have to watch everything as it's first broadcast, not so much because of the internet and spoilers (your business whether you care about that) but because no matter how good you've heard Breaking Bad is you're not going to catch up with five seasons, stop kidding yourself. Careful what you wish for is the lesson here.

Turn books into miniseries and you're all set. I'm annoyed that Devil in the White City is being made into a movie because I think it's perfect for the miniseries format.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Now we have a ton of decent TV shows and no one has the time to watch them all, and you have to watch everything as it's first broadcast, not so much because of the internet and spoilers (your business whether you care about that) but because no matter how good you've heard Breaking Bad is you're not going to catch up with five seasons, stop kidding yourself.

I watched all of Breaking Bad in one week. It's easy to do things like that if you have no life outside of work.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I watched it all over 9 months or so last year, so what?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

starkebn posted:

I watched it all over 9 months or so last year, so what?

I just don't think it's such a herculean feat that forces you to watch a show as it airs or never watch it like his post was implying :shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first season is also only 7 episodes and you can skip season 2 anyway.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

I just don't think it's such a herculean feat that forces you to watch a show as it airs or never watch it like his post was implying :shrug:

I agree therefore my post, which was to support yours

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Turn books into miniseries and you're all set. I'm annoyed that Devil in the White City is being made into a movie because I think it's perfect for the miniseries format.

The Stand by Stephen King was super well done as a miniseries. I rented it from the video store when I was a teenager and watched all 10 hours in one sitting. Although some things were still left out and changed, it was much a much better adaptation than a movie could have ever hoped to be.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I dunno even if I'm really into something I have to put it down and do something else every so often. I can't binge watch. Or maybe I just can't binge watch the stuff the internet tells me I should be binge watching because I just don't care for it and the stuff I do care about I obviously watch as fast as it comes out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I can't binge dramas, I get emotionally burned out from the repeated plot climaxes and devastating cliffhangers.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People who act like bad things in life are from God whether the bad thing is from their own decision or not.

This is celiac awareness month apparently and lots of people are on Facebook posting statuses about it. A family member with celiac says that she has it because she's strong enough to deal with it and that's why God gave it to her. Like God has a budget from his boss on celiac disease and he has to use it so he chose her.

But that, while annoying to me personally, is understandable. You're religious and you didn't choose to have celiac disease and this is how you live your life ok cool. But another family member looking to buy an expensive new car was turned down for financing and mentioned how this is a sign from God that it's not the right time. God didn't touch the loan officer and keep him from clicking approve. Your terrible credit score and mountains of debt showed that you were unlikely to financially afford the payments on this car and so you were denied. God didn't have anything to do with it.

IM MAD

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

More like oldfaithless.

This forums joke is probably someone else's pet peeve but I don't care, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

People who act like bad things in life are from God whether the bad thing is from their own decision or not.

This is celiac awareness month apparently and lots of people are on Facebook posting statuses about it. A family member with celiac says that she has it because she's strong enough to deal with it and that's why God gave it to her. Like God has a budget from his boss on celiac disease and he has to use it so he chose her.

But that, while annoying to me personally, is understandable. You're religious and you didn't choose to have celiac disease and this is how you live your life ok cool. But another family member looking to buy an expensive new car was turned down for financing and mentioned how this is a sign from God that it's not the right time. God didn't touch the loan officer and keep him from clicking approve. Your terrible credit score and mountains of debt showed that you were unlikely to financially afford the payments on this car and so you were denied. God didn't have anything to do with it.

IM MAD

Ah yes, the old "God doesn't give you anything you can't handle" truism. The millions of people who kill themselves every year around the world are always handwaved away.