Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

djfooboo posted:

I've got Haspelknecht and expansion in a CSI preorder. I have heard a lot of positive buzz since release. Not lighting the world on fire, but a nice slow burn of buzz.

Yeah I can't decide if I want to grab it or wait for its heavier brothers when Capstone does the rest of trilogy. It does look pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

People talk a lot about Gloomhaven. Worth it for solo only play?

My regular rpg groups do pathfinder and white wolf stuff. Sometimes we go for long periods of game cancellations. When I turn to video games for my game fix it doesn't scratch the same itch.

I doubt I'll ever get more than a duo to play Gloomhaven. I have a dedicated slace to leave it set up though. Mostly I'll be going alone.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, has Star Realms come up in the thread before? I just saw the TableTop episode about it and it looks kind of cool.

Also, I remember hearing that Colony was a better version of Machi Koro, is that true? MK looks like the kind of simple game you could play with someone who doesn't do them often, but I remember the thread being kind of cold about it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, has Star Realms come up in the thread before? I just saw the TableTop episode about it and it looks kind of cool.

Also, I remember hearing that Colony was a better version of Machi Koro, is that true? MK looks like the kind of simple game you could play with someone who doesn't do them often, but I remember the thread being kind of cold about it.

Star realms is a market row deckbuilder so it's a bit swingy. Dominions is a better game I think.

MK has a dominant strategy which isn't super great for gameplay.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Dark souls game may suck but maybe Fallout will be better? Easier to translate to the tabletop I suppose...

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/04/modiphius-fallout-warfare-announced.html

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sleekly posted:

Dark souls game may suck but maybe Fallout will be better? Easier to translate to the tabletop I suppose...

This might have worked if they just basically reskinned something like Mage Knight or any other sort of adventure game, changing it from high fantasy to post apocalyptic. But no, this game will totally get the traction they need to have a dedicated tabletop minis wargaming game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Agent Rush posted:

Star Realms is a bit of dumb fun, but not the best for deep play. If you want something similar but much better check out Race for the Galaxy

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Re: forge war stuff

Thanks a bunch. Looks like I will pull the trigger on that one then

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Gameko posted:

People talk a lot about Gloomhaven. Worth it for solo only play?

My regular rpg groups do pathfinder and white wolf stuff. Sometimes we go for long periods of game cancellations. When I turn to video games for my game fix it doesn't scratch the same itch.

I doubt I'll ever get more than a duo to play Gloomhaven. I have a dedicated slace to leave it set up though. Mostly I'll be going alone.

If you're willing to control at least 2 characters, it's perfectly fine for solo play. All scenarios are spawn-balanced for 2-4 players, as are most extraordinary enemies. You'll just need to be mindful of picking 2 characters that work well together and have some decent ability to lock down and/or kill immediate threats. With 3 or 4 it's not much of an issue.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 29, 2017

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Agent Rush posted:

Center market deckbuilders (meaning ones where the cards to purchase are randomly drawn from a common deck instead of having your choice among a pool of all available cards) all have a problem of being much more luck dependent. Star Realms is no exception, but the nice thing about Star Realms is it is fast and light and easy. The negatives of the center market don't stand out quite as badly. Also, it is very inexpensive, which is a plus.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sleekly posted:

I really wish they hadn't done this. A dedicate ttrpg could have been nice. Or an adventure board game. But a combat only miniatures game? That's no way to treat fallout.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lord Frisk posted:

I really wish they hadn't done this. A dedicate ttrpg could have been nice. Or an adventure board game. But a combat only miniatures game? That's no way to treat fallout.

I think you mean a COIN knockoff

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Frisk posted:

Maybe you haven't heard of the best Fallout, Fallout: Tactics

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

Yeah I agree with GrandpaPants. Mage knight style could've worked

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

StashAugustine posted:

I think you mean a COIN knockoff

I wish Star Wars rebellion was a COIN game. Star Wars is in dire need of a COIN game. Even the rebel/imperial duo can be made into a twilight struggle knockoff.

DadJokeGenerator
Feb 15, 2015

Agent Rush posted:

Magnetic North posted:

Center market deckbuilders (meaning ones where the cards to purchase are randomly drawn from a common deck instead of having your choice among a pool of all available cards) all have a problem of being much more luck dependent. Star Realms is no exception, but the nice thing about Star Realms is it is fast and light and easy. The negatives of the center market don't stand out quite as badly. Also, it is very inexpensive, which is a plus.

I've had a lot of quick fun with Star Realms but it's easy to see its problems. If you still want to buy it consider buying the expansion or a second deck then go the Tyrants of the Underdark style play - sort the deck into the 4 factions beforehand and agree to play with only 2 of them for a more focused build, faster game, and fewer unwanted cards in the market row.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lord Frisk posted:

Exactly. Just like the new CMON Song of Fire these miniature combat games ignore 75% of what these franchises are about.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Maybe you haven't heard of the best Fallout, Fallout: Tactics

fallout tactics also had that rad set of tabletop rules in the back of the manual or whatever

i never actually tried it though, and i only played a little bit of skirmish on pc anyway

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I wanna try mansions of madness so badly, but my flgs doesn't have a demo version. Worth?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

please knock Mom! posted:

I wanna try mansions of madness so badly, but my flgs doesn't have a demo version. Worth?

Life Hack: If you buy Tabletop Simulator you can try almost any game for free.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Scyther posted:

Life Hack: If you buy Tabletop Simulator you can try almost any game for free.
It's also 50% off on Steam right now!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

please knock Mom! posted:

You pay shipping and you can have my copy

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Lord Frisk posted:

I mean, I suppose it could still happen. Hopefully they'll consider that if this is successful. A tactical table top RPG could be awesome.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

jivjov posted:

You pay shipping and you can have my copy
If it's 2E I would be interested to pay more than just shipping.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

I have that game, but didn't know it had MoM. Will try. Also I live in Europe so shipping from the US might be expensive.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Happy International Tabletop Day yall. Go out and play some games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just got to Coolstuff for 12 hours of games and their yard sale. Hoping to chunk some bad games and trade or buy some good ones cheap. They usually have their ding and sent stuff out as well.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Star realms is a market row deckbuilder so it's a bit swingy. Dominions is a better game I think.

MK has a dominant strategy which isn't super great for gameplay.

Thanks, any other recommendations for a deckbuilding game? I've got Arctic Scavengers + expansions already, and was considering Puzzle Strike.

Does Colony have that same problem, or is it a better example of that kind of engine building game like Dice City?

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 29, 2017

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Race for the galaxy is pretty great.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Speaking of deckbuilders, does anyone have a good suggestion for a RPG-y coop one where the deckbuilding is similar to Dominion where thinning your deck is something that occurs during gameplay and is as important as drafting good cards for it? I'm interested in a deckbuilding game where the deck evolves over the course of play and there's strategy involved in making the optimal play in the moment versus trimming your deck to be more efficient long-term.

I've heard good things about a bunch of games (Clank, Gloomhaven, etc.) but I don't know enough about them to know if they're *that* kind of deckbuilding game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Clank doesn't really have that many good decisions to make, and it's hard to do any long term strategizing because of its market row nature. It is astonishingly average.

Gloomhaven isn't a deckbuilder.

I think the only game that is both a deckbuilder and RPG-y is Mage Knight, but I don't think the decision is really between deck thin vs optimal play so much as "what do I do with this hand."

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Agent Rush posted:

Thanks, any other recommendations for a deckbuilding game? I've got Arctic Scavengers + expansions already, and was considering Puzzle Strike.

Does Colony have that same problem, or is it a better example of that kind of engine building game like Dice City?

Star Realms and other market row deckbuilders tend to play themselves more often than not. Even if SR lasts only 10-15 minutes, that's 10-15 minutes you could have been playing a game, instead of degassing a random number generator.

For recommendations, Dominion is still the reigning king of the genre. But I probably don't need to sing its praises. Most people in the hobby know Dominion, and know whether or not they like Dominion. That said, if you don't know if you like Dominion, there are plenty of folks here who would be happy to explain why you should like Dominion.

Puzzle Strike is very solid! Like Dominion, it uses a fixed market set out from the beginning of the game, so your game doesn't turn on a lucky flip. But, the gem-battling dynamic creates a lot of interesting interaction and counterplay, for those who feel like Dominion is too much like solitaire. (Those people are wrong. Or rather, a lot of Dominion's interaction is high-level stuff like pile control, which takes a while to see.)

Also, PS does solve one of my few problems with Dominion. In any given Dominion kingdom, two experienced players will often play the same strategy, with slight variations between their decks. But Puzzle Strike uses asymmetric starting decks, so strategies tend to diverge more. It trades this asymmetry for a much smaller pool of market cards chips. The general wisdom is, in Dominion you play the kingdom, in Puzzle Strike you play the matchup.

I haven't gotten to play Valley of the Kings yet, but it comes highly recommended by the general gooncensus. VotK fixes the core problem of the market row subgenre by eliminating blind flips. New cards show up at the top of a pyramid, and must filter their way to the bottom before you can purchase them. This gives you time to plan, and even a little control over when potential problem cards fall into the market. There's three standalone sets, all about $15, so they also fit Star Realms' "cheap and portable" category.

Last, Eminent Domain is a weird one, but well loved. It uses a deckbuilding mechanic to fuel a role selection/follow-the-leader game like Puerto Rico or Race for the Galaxy. The more you perform a certain role, the better your deck becomes at that particular role (and the worse it becomes at everything else). Worth looking into, but very unlike any other deckbuilding game. Also, you really, really need the first expansion, Escalation, to add variety to the game.

Also, the single best board game ever put to cardboard, Mage Knight, has a strong deckbuilding component. But if I evangelize Mage Knight any harder, I think I legally have to register as a church.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

RoboCicero posted:

Speaking of deckbuilders, does anyone have a good suggestion for a RPG-y coop one where the deckbuilding is similar to Dominion where thinning your deck is something that occurs during gameplay and is as important as drafting good cards for it? I'm interested in a deckbuilding game where the deck evolves over the course of play and there's strategy involved in making the optimal play in the moment versus trimming your deck to be more efficient long-term.

I've heard good things about a bunch of games (Clank, Gloomhaven, etc.) but I don't know enough about them to know if they're *that* kind of deckbuilding game.

I haven't played it yet but Aeon's End sounds about as close to that description as you're likely to find in the coop deckbuilding space. (which is not super large - most deckbuilders are competitive). You might also look at Shadowrun Crossfire (although I don't remember a lot of thinning in it) or maybe the Legendary Encounters games (but I don't think those feel much like an RPG). As was previously stated, Gloomhaven isn't a deckbuilder in any meaningful sense.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Do any of you guys have any experience with Dawn of the Zeds (3rd Edition)? I've been looking for some good solo board games and this one looks like a lot of fun, but the only places that sell the game have it priced at $80 or more.

I've also heard some very mixed opinions on Robinson Crusoe and, having watched a full play-through of the game, it looks way too punishing of a game (although that might just be bad luck on the player's part).

Mind you I'm also considering Mage Knight, but DotZ was designed for solo play and I like the zombie theme more; Robinson Crusoe I can more easily be talked out of.

Bloody Pancreas fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 29, 2017

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Mage Knight is fantastic solo - one of the best solo board games out there.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I've also heard some very mixed opinions on Robinson Crusoe and, having watched a full play-through of the game, it looks way too punishing of a game (although that might just be bad luck on the player's part).

The game is almost entirely determined by luck, so yes, it was bad luck on the player's part.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Every time someone brings this game up is the perfect time to remind the thread that Ignacy Tra-whatever the rest of it is does not understand a thing about game design.

Enough so that Vlaada himself gave him amazing advice:
1. https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/13091/are-you-designing-game-you-better-have-vlaada-chva

2. https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/13132/are-you-designing-game-you-better-have-vlaada-chva

3. https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/13248/lesson

and as far as I know Ignacy ignored it.

Also, the winner of his other big game, Imperial Settlers can almost entirely be predicted by 'did you pick Egyptian? You're probably gonna win. Did you pick Japanese? You're probably gonna lose.'

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I played Imperial Settlers twice before giving up on it. Egypt won 2/2 times, and it never really was close

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The new Modern Art is up for preorder on CSI and Cardhaus, man I really like the new art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How's the learning curve in The Great Zimbabwe compared to FCM?