Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Archer gets around it by not being funny in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

algebra testes posted:

Unfortunately eventually you hit a point where the characters are absurd bundles of injokes and neurosis and the writers struggle come up with new jokes that aren't tired rehashes. Or they end up making the characters completely erratic or unrelatable due to a build up of comedic baggage.

Archer gets around this by soft reebooting the show every season/other season, and that works for them but probably wouldn't for B99.

Yeah Jake's goldfish memory thing is a great example. Multiple episodes have shown him to be a good detective with a functioning memory. I hate that they made him suddenly an idiot for a weak joke.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Nathan Fillion plays a really good lovely actor.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah Jake's goldfish memory thing is a great example. Multiple episodes have shown him to be a good detective with a functioning memory. I hate that they made him suddenly an idiot for a weak joke.

Right? He lived in Florida for a long time and still remembered Amy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Zenithe posted:

Nathan Fillion plays a really good lovely actor.

"Hey Nathan, we have this role for a lovely, self obsessed actor here. And for some reason, everyone thought you would be perfectly suited."

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

HookShot posted:

Archer gets around it by not being funny in the first place.

Sorry about you being dead inside

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Terry and Holt/Boyle storylines were fine, but Jake turned into a loving idiot and a poo poo detective and a terrible friend in order to get a storyline going that wasn't that funny to begin with.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Am I crazy, or is Diaz a terrible character/performance? Stephanie Beatriz might be a fine actress, but she's not good at playing the character as written. I'm sure it's not easy, the character is all over the place.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 23, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As previously discussed I think she just struggles with becoming too much of an absurd sitcom character that's a bundle of injokes as most sitcom characters tend to do after a few seasons.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
She kind of has the same problem as April did in later episodes of P&R- her "doesn't give a poo poo" attitude feels disingenuous now that we've had so many plotlines demonstrating that she actually gives a poo poo about lots of things. Even then, April's growth as a character was better defined, whereas Rosa just kind of goes through the same little arc every half hour.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we don't have Strike Team Thunder Kill Alpha Colon Hard Target

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Man Sprinkler Bullet Tornado!

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Jake and Boyle casually ruining that poor dude's life was a little too real/close to being actual police for my taste. Also, the lifted plot/resolution/beats from The Office's Branch Closing was kind of lame. HOWEVER, everything regarding Hitchcock was gold.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Man Sprinkler Bullet Tornado!

"I said that too, both times!"

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

try the new taco place posted:

Jake and Boyle casually ruining that poor dude's life was a little too real/close to being actual police for my taste. Also, the lifted plot/resolution/beats from The Office's Branch Closing was kind of lame. HOWEVER, everything regarding Hitchcock was gold.

Holy poo poo go outside for a while

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Hitchcock's tattoo is loving wild.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

try the new taco place posted:

You mean the guy with a giant bag full of heroin?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I really expected the other precinct with the task force to be the wholesalers. Not sure which ending would have been cheaper that or what they went with.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This season is strange. The plots really aren't really paying off for me, but the one-off gags are some of the funniest moments in the show's run.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Amy's expression on learning Holt was indeed mentoring her- perfect.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
While I didn't find the whole cement thing with Gina funny, I kept laughing at them hiding her behind stuff to avoid showing her torso. Just the way she would pop up but still have obtuse blocking.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I resisted it for a while, but Gina has become a mean-spirited screeching cartoon character. If we're leaving the world of reality, then fine. I just can't stand the idea that she saved the precinct through tricking people into drinking loving cement for her YouTube channel.

I think the only funny line was "What's in that yogurt Gina?" "Certainly nothing you'd build a sidewalk with"

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

swickles posted:

You mean the guy with a giant bag full of heroin?

Nah

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

The guy who was trying to get a job as a drug courier with a criminal organization to fix all his life problems? Because that was surely going to work out great for him and his family.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

ChesterJT posted:

The guy who was trying to get a job as a drug courier with a criminal organization to fix all his life problems? Because that was surely going to work out great for him and his family.

I know plenty of people who have been in the unfortunate situation where they've had to do some dodgy things to get by. Sometimes it's for their kids, other times it's just to get them out a rough patch, and if they could do something else they would.

It's kinda lovely that the show re-enforces your belief that you should judge people so harshly for the roles they've been pushed into.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Megaspel posted:

I know plenty of people who have been in the unfortunate situation where they've had to do some dodgy things to get by. Sometimes it's for their kids, other times it's just to get them out a rough patch, and if they could do something else they would.

It's kinda lovely that the show re-enforces your belief that you should judge people so harshly for the roles they've been pushed into.

I know its a comedy show, but that guy in a rough patch was "forced" into that position by gambling debts. You most certainly can judge him for the decisions he has made.

extreme unfunny example: nazis shouldnt be judged as they were "pushed" into those roles.

On Gina: she sucks now. Her accident sucked and served only to peak interest in between the break and then she comes back, is in an unfunny brace for one episode and now is back to normal.

aside from the first two awful episodes in florida, I think this season has otherwise been pretty good. they needed to drop terrible storylines like boyles kid and pimento.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Boyle's face and thumbs up when he knocks Bodie off the bike was so drat good. Also when Boyle and Holt were working on how to insinuate.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

this is extremely not the place or show to talk about police seriously, BUT I just saw this https://twitter.com/dirkblocker/status/857987924217835520 so who knows

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Megaspel posted:

Never seen someone try to make drug dealers sympathetic victims in a thread about a comedy police show. LF maybe.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean you don't have to try very hard.

Drug dealers are a symptom not the root.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TommyGun85 posted:

I know its a comedy show, but that guy in a rough patch was "forced" into that position by gambling debts. You most certainly can judge him for the decisions he has made.

extreme unfunny example: nazis shouldnt be judged as they were "pushed" into those roles.

On Gina: she sucks now. Her accident sucked and served only to peak interest in between the break and then she comes back, is in an unfunny brace for one episode and now is back to normal.

aside from the first two awful episodes in florida, I think this season has otherwise been pretty good. they needed to drop terrible storylines like boyles kid and pimento.

Holy poo poo dude I've never seen somebody Godwin over a sitcom before.

The gambling debts line was added specifically so someone like you would be okay with the guy's life being ruined. The reason your mind works that way in the first place is because of a steady drip-drip-drip of media saying police violence is heroic, criminals don't have rights, and a person deserves anything that happens to them as long as you can find a mistake they made to point to. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is one of the most popular cop show on TV right now, and probably the one most likely to be watched by kids, and when Jake & Co. act like dirty cops it normalizes behavior that kills real people in real life. I'm sick of seeing them point guns at unarmed suspects. Half the time a real cop kills someone it's because he was trying to wave his weapon around and act tough like he was on TV.

I liked the Florida episodes and I can stick with the Pimento episodes because I love Jason Mantzoukas's portrayal of him, but I agree that Gina is getting way too cartoonish. Remember when they used to have episodes underlining how much more responsible she was than Jake, and her whole deal was that she had a much more well-rounded life than the cop characters? The comedy came from her not caring about things in a show where everybody cares as much as they possibly can. That was funny.

The prank storyline also made it hard to ignore how Gina's really written to be about twenty years younger than Chelsea Peretti is. She's their way of sneaking in a millennial character into a premise where it doesn't make sense for anyone to be under 30.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Holy poo poo dude I've never seen somebody Godwin over a sitcom before.

The gambling debts line was added specifically so someone like you would be okay with the guy's life being ruined. The reason your mind works that way in the first place is because of a steady drip-drip-drip of media saying police violence is heroic, criminals don't have rights, and a person deserves anything that happens to them as long as you can find a mistake they made to point to. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is one of the most popular cop show on TV right now, and probably the one most likely to be watched by kids, and when Jake & Co. act like dirty cops it normalizes behavior that kills real people in real life. I'm sick of seeing them point guns at unarmed suspects. Half the time a real cop kills someone it's because he was trying to wave his weapon around and act tough like he was on TV.

You of all people shouldn't be a judge of anyone's reactions. This post full of crazy is a great reason why.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ChesterJT posted:

You of all people shouldn't be a judge of anyone's reactions. This post full of crazy is a great reason why.

Nah, it's a lot of valid points that are lost on you for reasons I'm sure don't have to do with you having a vested interest in the world working a certain way. What is "full on crazy" about pointing out the tendency for cops' to act like action heroes (and usually kill innocent, unarmed minorities in the process) and drawing a link to supposedly light, comedic media representation of cops where they act like action heroes (and wave their guns in the face of unarmed, uncharged individuals)?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean you don't have to try very hard.

Drug dealers are a symptom not the root.

Someone hasn't watched The Wire.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Nah, it's a lot of valid points that are lost on you for reasons I'm sure don't have to do with you having a vested interest in the world working a certain way. What is "full on crazy" about pointing out the tendency for cops' to act like action heroes (and usually kill innocent, unarmed minorities in the process) and drawing a link to supposedly light, comedic media representation of cops where they act like action heroes (and wave their guns in the face of unarmed, uncharged individuals)?

Must be a slow day in D&D. You know this thread is for the comedy show Brooklyn 99 right? Maybe try out the "Comments on law enforcement for which I have no experience or knowledge of" thread which I'm sure exists over there somewhere.

Is there a new episode yet? Good lord.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ChesterJT posted:

Must be a slow day in D&D. You know this thread is for the comedy show Brooklyn 99 right? Maybe try out the "Comments on law enforcement for which I have no experience or knowledge of" thread which I'm sure exists over there somewhere.

Yeah man, media representations have 0 bearing on real life. Don't talk if your response is gonna be "go back to D&D" at the first sign of someone not swallowing your poo poo laden load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

e: I mean we have a goddamn reality TV show host as our president and you've got the audacity to say TV doesn't influence real life poo poo? Get the gently caress outta here and back to those sheets you're cutting eye holes in.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 29, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ChesterJT posted:

Yeah my black rear end definitely has no experience or knowledge of cops behaving like action heroes. Yep.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I just pretend this show is a loosely connected sketch show at this point, because the overarching plots are hot garbage but the little bits like Hitchcock's suicide tattoo and mentee Amy are as amazing as ever

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

double negative posted:

I just pretend this show is a loosely connected sketch show at this point, because the overarching plots are hot garbage but the little bits like Hitchcock's suicide tattoo and mentee Amy are as amazing as ever

22 Short Films about Brooklyn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Hey uh...Terry? I think you should apologize SUPER fast if you like being on B99....
https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/858436126914117632

• Locked thread