Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Johnny Landmine posted:

This is true as a blanket statement, but it doesn't really make the Soul Box less of a pain in the rear end, which is Saagonsa's (fair imo) gripe here. As far as I know there's no way to save partway through that section.
I don't recall anything especially difficult in there. Hacking is tedious, but I don't think there has ever been a hacking instance that I would call hard. Maybe that's why I can't really empathize? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

RanKizama posted:

Johnny Landmine posted:

This is true as a blanket statement, but it doesn't really make the Soul Box less of a pain in the rear end, which is Saagonsa's (fair imo) gripe here. As far as I know there's no way to save partway through that section.
I don't recall anything especially difficult in there. Hacking is tedious, but I don't think there has ever been a hacking instance that I would call hard. Maybe that's why I can't really empathize? :shrug:

You can run out of the Soul Box back to the save area and save but it takes a while - I got one shot by the boss and ended up saving a couple of times just to not have to repeat the whole thing.

I am bad for veering into walls whilst doing the hacking so some of the levels in there were very tricky for me (plus I had to do it all twice due to being an idiot and dying).

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

RanKizama posted:

The tediousness is the problem. Having to repeat the whole dungeon if you die on the boss takes a significant amount of time running around and hacking, and hacking (with few exceptions, half of which are on the final boss) is neither particularly challenging nor fun.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I was actually about to ask if playing as 9S was supposed to be tedious and you weren't supposed to hit things with your sword, and I guess that is the case.

Kind of a bummer :shrug:

e: I guess you can hack robots and subjugate them, so maybe thats the way to go, so I can just chill while 2B and a big robot dude kill everything for me.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Johnny Landmine posted:

The tediousness is the problem. Having to repeat the whole dungeon if you die on the boss takes a significant amount of time running around and hacking, and hacking (with few exceptions, half of which are on the final boss) is neither particularly challenging nor fun.

I like hackining and one of those boxes seriously took me something like 20+ tries. I left and saved, there was no way I was gonna do that again.

Oh yeah while I'm on the subject of hacking. Optional secret boss stuff: So I needed to be 9S to get through Emil's door and steal his stuff, but I really don't want to fight him as 9S, I want that heavy attack. Can I play on a bit in route C and return as 2A to fight him? Also does that stop him spawning as a shop?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Johnny Landmine posted:

Yeah i got pasted there (or one of the towers anyway) and had to redo the whole freaking thing, so the second time up i ran all the loving way down and back to save before hitting the top. Probably the only time i was actually frustrated and annoyed with the game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I like hackining and one of those boxes seriously took me something like 20+ tries. I left and saved, there was no way I was gonna do that again.

Oh yeah while I'm on the subject of hacking. Optional secret boss stuff: So I needed to be 9S to get through Emil's door and steal his stuff, but I really don't want to fight him as 9S, I want that heavy attack. Can I play on a bit in route C and return as 2A to fight him? Also does that stop him spawning as a shop?

No, you have to fight him as 9S. Just use hacking, that boss is some bullshit. And you probably want to hit level 99 first so that your hacking actually does noticable damage.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I was actually about to ask if playing as 9S was supposed to be tedious and you weren't supposed to hit things with your sword, and I guess that is the case.

Kind of a bummer :shrug:

e: I guess you can hack robots and subjugate them, so maybe thats the way to go, so I can just chill while 2B and a big robot dude kill everything for me.

You can totally hit things with a sword as 9S if you want (though I recommend a spear), for the most part - the particular area under discussion just places a specific emphasis on hacking.

That said, hacking - just straight up hacking in and making enemies explode hacking - is generally the quickest way through combat as 9S. I think I've subjugated enemies approximately twice in all my time playing.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 29, 2017

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Dabir posted:

No, you have to fight him as 9S. Just use hacking, that boss is some bullshit. And you probably want to hit level 99 first so that your hacking actually does noticable damage.
Nah, with hacking that boss is a cake walk even in the mid-80's. I think I was 86 when I dropped him. Takes like 5 hacks and some good dodging skills with slow down chips, but it's not bad

I did level up a bit before heading for the desert version as A2 though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just turned it on easy for the last few hacks in the Soul box because it was starting to really irritate me. Some of the later hacks were taking me like 10-15 tries. I also suck at and don't like twin stick shooters.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Playing 9S on Hard now and I swear you straight up have less range for hacking without lock on. It's real frustrating

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The only real problem with the combat in the game is that it's too easy to break it. If you played FF8 then you probably figured out how to break everything mostly through junctioning and cards. It's way too easy to break this game by crafting a few +6 chips and buying 99 of every healing ware.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

RanKizama posted:

Nah, with hacking that boss is a cake walk even in the mid-80's. I think I was 86 when I dropped him. Takes like 5 hacks and some good dodging skills with slow down chips, but it's not bad

I did level up a bit before heading for the desert version as A2 though.

I did it way lower than that and it took a fuckton of hacks. Probably at least 20, and they weren't all successful. It was awful.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think any boss in the game took me more than 5 hacks, and I never got higher than about level 70.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Johnny Landmine posted:

You can totally hit things with a sword as 9S if you want (though I recommend a spear), for the most part - the particular area under discussion just places a specific emphasis on hacking.

That said, hacking - just straight up hacking in and making enemies explode hacking - is generally the quickest way through combat as 9S. I think I've subjugated enemies approximately twice in all my time playing.

Fists are also pretty great with 9S. The fist-throw is very brutal.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Not being able to lock on while hacking is the number one thing keeping me from giving hard mode a shot.

I'm always torn when developers change-up the core mechanics for a spell. On the one hand, I think it's neat to transition from one gameplay style to another for the sake of the moment - that bit in Metal Gear Solid 3 where the game temporarily turns into a rail-shooter as you escape the base is awesome, as is the boss fight in Sin and Punishment 2 where the guy handcuffs you to him the two of you face off in a fistfight (in a game that's otherwise about shooting things). On the other hand, there's also always the lingering chance the switch will be to a style of game I'm not nearly as adept at, or possibly even terrible. I've since hit the best possible rank in almost every single Killer Is Dead challenge except for the turret minigame, which I can't even clear, and doubt I'll ever be able to. If I'd played the original Drakengard back in the day, I likely would've hated the final boss even more than the Dark Id.

Hacking in Nier: Automata isn't anywhere near as bad as those latter two examples, but it's outside my comfort zone enough that it dampens my enthusiasm to tackle the game at a higher level.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The turret one is one of the only minigames I have completed so suck it.

I have it on PC so I switched to the mouse for that one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, see, I'm packing the PS3 version, so no luck there. Shame too, since mouse aiming would cure that particular ill.

Relatedly, my least favorite bit in Shadows of the Damned was the turret section as well. Grasshopper needs to stop putting these segments in games.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Just popping in to say that this is probably the best full package of a singleplayer game I've played this decade and if anyone is on the fence about buying it you should do yourself a solid and just go for it

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Playing as 9S I melee attacked all the trash and hacked the tougher enemies and it worked out just fine. I'd also been doing most of the sidequests so I was probably slightly overleveled, though.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Question about ending D "Ah...so that's were you were." What did 9S mean by this? Like another final line of cryptic dialogue uttered by a JRPG character, it reminds me of "Ramza...what did you get?"

While I'm at it, concerning the logic virus [post ending B spoilers]: Is there any backstory about its origin? There is some speculation that the God of Drakengard hated humanity so much that he was unsatisfied when he learned of humanity's extinction and personally coded a virus that would destroy humanity's successors, the androids. Did the God or the machine lifeforms create it?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Contingency Plan posted:

Question about ending D "Ah...so that's were you were." What did 9S mean by this? Like another final line of cryptic dialogue uttered by a JRPG character, it reminds me of "Ramza...what did you get?"

While I'm at it, concerning the logic virus [post ending B spoilers]: Is there any backstory about its origin? There is some speculation that the God of Drakengard hated humanity so much that he was unsatisfied when he learned of humanity's extinction and personally coded a virus that would destroy humanity's successors, the androids. Did the God or the machine lifeforms create it?

I don't see any reason to think that the machines didn't make it themselves. It's been around for a long time, it's mentioned in Anemone's magic backstory computer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Trying to figure out what happened here. I finished A2s part of route C afaik. Been playing as 9s and took town 3 of the towers. I teleported outside of a mission and randomly was A2 again and got a bit of dialog. I played as her for a bit and died without saving so I reloaded as 9s. Teleported to the same place and it didn't switch back to A2 and I'm still 9s. What happened there?

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Contingency Plan posted:

9S likely realized that 2B's memories were stored in the sword that impaled him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In the 5 plus minutes this game has been loading I think I figured out that this game is trying to pit me against another player at the top of the fourth tower. Either that or it crashed but I'm thinking it's the former . If this ever loads and I die against said player please tell me I don't have to redo this whole tower

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

In the 5 plus minutes this game has been loading I think I figured out that this game is trying to pit me against another player at the top of the fourth tower. Either that or it crashed but I'm thinking it's the former . If this ever loads and I die against said player please tell me I don't have to redo this whole tower
Do you mean one of the Resource Collection Units, or the main tower? Because I think you can save anywhere in that last one.

Also I think your game crashed, sorry.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't realize I was supposed to hit x to prompt text chatter between the pods in the loading screen so I just sat there like a dope for 10 minutes. I was wayy off :v:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I dunno what people were saying earlier about dying always causing a game over after the intro of route C. I just died in the shmup boss fight section of the tower because i was dumb and didn't get out of the way of a hail of bullets, but it just started me back at the start of the sequence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

I dunno what people were saying earlier about dying always causing a game over after the intro of route C. I just died in the shmup boss fight section of the tower because i was dumb and didn't get out of the way of a hail of bullets, but it just started me back at the start of the sequence.

Boss fights have checkpoints.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Boss fights have checkpoints.

The boss fight at the end of the soul box sure didn't! That was my original complaint that was dismissed by the fact that route C doesn't have those.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nice av

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So after C is there one or 2 more main play throughs?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
None.

You've got chapter select, so you can go back and clear out sidequests you missed and such. The only story remaining is picking the other choice in that scene, you know which one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

veni veni veni posted:

So after C is there one or 2 more main play throughs?

After you beat the third playthrough there are zero playthroughs. You get either ending C or D. You can go right back to the last chapter and get the other one, and then you can get E after that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ah ok. Huh. I thought there was a bunch left.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 30, 2017

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah i kind of don't like that this game is usually described as "multiple playthroughs with 5 Main Endings", when according to general semantics it'd be more like Chapter 1.A+1.B and 2 and then chapter select for a few dozen quick other endings (including the most noteworthy D/E)which both sounds a lot more interesting and reasonably doable. To me at least.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I finished routes A-E. :smith:

Unnnnngh.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I forgot how enjoyable the Route A final boss is until this new run. It's really the most balanced fight when it comes to difficulty and actually quite tough if you haven't stockpiled tons of healing items. His attacks are designed well to fake out your dodging since they hit twice

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Have a route B moose mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiI1iwgXKak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat."