Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
jesus that jadine fact sheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh that's a good point about Marvel, I should learn to read the numbers on the cards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Mardu is such a weird deck. 3/2s that can't block along side a 6 mana defensive planeswalker.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sickening posted:

Dumb predictions for tomorrow.

Red god turns into a 15$+ card.

(Also fling is going to see constructed play)

What decks are running Hazoret? Mardu?

Also it's weird to think of Fling as being a constructed worthy card.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

What decks are running Hazoret? Mardu?

Also it's weird to think of Fling as being a constructed worthy card.

It hasn't been found yet but there is something very playable with Hazoret/Noose Constrictor/Fiery Temper/Honored Hydra

I'll be shocked if that core isn't good enough for standard

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

jesus that jadine fact sheet

what

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

SCG shows fact sheets about some of its more common feature match players.

Jadine Klomparens's indicated that she was held at gunpoint by a 9-year-old while delivering pizza.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Mardu is such a weird deck. 3/2s that can't block along side a 6 mana defensive planeswalker.

It is pretty cool how it can transform into a planeswalker midrange deck with Oath of Lili. Also the Ribbons finish was neat.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Go poke around the wizards play network sub-site for the email of the Pacific Northwest West regional coordinator. I forget his name right now. Anyways that dude will be all over it within hours.

Perfect, thanks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
patrick sullivan is the best commentator lol

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Procrastinator posted:

Jadine Klomparens's indicated that she was held at gunpoint by a 9-year-old while delivering pizza.

Wait was the nine year old delivering pizzas or was the delivery guy the gunman

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Soul Glo posted:

Wait was the nine year old delivering pizzas or was the delivery guy the gunman

I think it said she was the deliverer and the nine year old was the gunchild. Either way, I wish they'd fill the player fact sheets with more lol-worthy or :stare:-worthy tidbits like that.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Procrastinator posted:

i knew about the fact sheets but they're usually like "is a horrible shut in nerd"

fuckin lol at that story though

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

I think it said she was the deliverer and the nine year old was the gunchild. Either way, I wish they'd fill the player fact sheets with more lol-worthy or :stare:-worthy tidbits like that.

the person supplies the facts, which prob goes a long way to explain why so many are so boring

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

the person supplies the facts, which prob goes a long way to explain why so many are so boring

That also explains why many of them talk about their tourney accomplishments, which doesn't matter for poo poo to anyone else.

Also, thank you SCG for having the featured matches all be Mardu Vehicles vs. opponent for this first tournament of an exciting brand new standard. :shepface:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

InterrupterJones posted:

That also explains why many of them talk about their tourney accomplishments, which doesn't matter for poo poo to anyone else.

Also, thank you SCG for having the featured matches all be Mardu Vehicles vs. opponent for this first tournament of an exciting brand new standard. :shepface:

The are going to feature their normal grinders no matter what.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

tbf there's a good chance a significant portion of the room is running mardu

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Today I learned that you can slough a Canyon Slough.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That Sultai Delirium/control deck looked cool at least for the 30 seconds of air time it got after the Mardu / GB matchup for the 3rd time.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

That Sultai Delirium/control deck looked cool at least for the 30 seconds of air time it got after the Mardu / GB matchup for the 3rd time.

Any list for this I can find? I'm looking for anything that isn't U/R as I played it some last season and its a huge chore, especially the mirror, and not even great vs Mardu

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Marketing New Brain posted:

Any list for this I can find? I'm looking for anything that isn't U/R as I played it some last season and its a huge chore, especially the mirror, and not even great vs Mardu

When the tournament is over, and there may be a lists on mtggoldfish.com

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Scherer on little-known Liliana the Last Hopeel, some spicy tech

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
god I love pulse trackers

e: and he loving gets there, lol

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 29, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Just got my first trophy ever on MODO with what I thought was a middling WB zombies deck :toot:

WB Zombies are good, even when meh.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Watched a match earlier do they post decklists for these? I really want to see that Mono-black that is 6-0 for poverty reasons.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

bigperm posted:

Watched a match earlier do they post decklists for these? I really want to see that Mono-black that is 6-0 for poverty reasons.
:same: They'll get posted somewhere once the tournament's over, I'm sure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The new-new-rotation makes this set feel like a small one. This will continue to happen every other block.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

The new-new-rotation makes this set feel like a small one. This will continue to happen every other block.

Yup and it sucks

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
man chi hoi punted that game so hard

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Just got my first trophy ever on MODO with what I thought was a middling WB zombies deck :toot:

WB Zombies are good, even when meh.

In limited? BW zombies is a house with a single zombie Lord.

Though a lot of 3-0 decks are going to be defined by "how does it deal with Glorybringer." That's a house in limited.

Especially when drafted by the guy who went P1P1 Glorybringer, P1P2 Insult // Injury, and ends up being the only red player in a 9 person pod.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

i have been watching on and off so i may have missed something but the only "new" deck seems like that U/W control deck from the first round

which was a pretty sweet deck but eh

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

i have been watching on and off so i may have missed something but the only "new" deck seems like that U/W control deck from the first round

which was a pretty sweet deck but eh

there was a mono b aggro deck round 6

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Rinkles posted:

it was like that in the past with spring large sets and they still managed to impact the format significantly e.g. Dragons of Tarkir and Rise of the Eldrazi both added multiple top tier decks. Those didn't particularly feel like small sets to me.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

bigperm posted:

Since it's unique, hopefully it'll get a deck tech video at some point. I don't know how budget friendly it'll be though, since Mono B would never not run some form of Liliana.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just went 2-1 with UB cycling with Open into Wonder and Angler Drake as top end, won my last match on time and I feel so scummy. Opponent had me down to 1 life, passes the turn with 7 seconds left. I play a creature, pass it back. He has way more than enough to kill me. I right click, hover over concede and then win.

I mean, two packs is two packs.

The only time I drew Ruthless Sniper I had it and Seeker of Insight together on board for like 5 friggin' turns drawing nothing but lands. Never got to activate it once. It was very tilting.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

odiv posted:

Just went 2-1 with UB cycling with Open into Wonder and Angler Drake as top end, won my last match on time and I feel so scummy. Opponent had me down to 1 life, passes the turn with 7 seconds left. I play a creature, pass it back. He has way more than enough to kill me. I right click, hover over concede and then win.

I mean, two packs is two packs.

The only time I drew Ruthless Sniper I had it and Seeker of Insight together on board for like 5 friggin' turns drawing nothing but lands. Never got to activate it once. It was very tilting.

In my last draft I played against what looked like a sweet UB cycling deck like that, except with Drake Haven. They had Sniper out turn one and Haven on three, and proceeded to get absurd levels of value. It wasn't absurd to deal with, but they edged me out that game. I ended up out-pacing them in game 2 and running them over in game 3 when they didn't draw their lands fast enough.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Tales of Woe posted:

it was like that in the past with spring large sets and they still managed to impact the format significantly e.g. Dragons of Tarkir and Rise of the Eldrazi both added multiple top tier decks. Those didn't particularly feel like small sets to me.

A lot of the problem is cards not being powerful outside of their block synergies. Delirium and Energy are great examples, you need a critical mass to make them effective or solid enablers. Meanwhile a deck like Mardu works because it is just a good stuff deck, it'll take Cast Out and possibly a planeswalker and discard the rest.

The design on some of these sets for constructed was terrible, and the only new 'archetype' is TorrentialGearhulk.dec because it only cares about card type. They also made the majority of the Aftermath cards well short of constructed playable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nm tales, I misunderstood. Sorry

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 29, 2017

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Marketing New Brain posted:

They also made the majority of the Aftermath cards well short of constructed playable.

This is true of almost every block mechanic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

And yeah, it's obviously too early to write off AKH (barely a week ago there was a different banned list), but this is an unavoidable problem of the new rotation regardless of the specifics of the set.