Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it has a bunch of innovative technology, drives well, meets commuter needs, and is relatively affordable

Sounds like Prius sold in less volume.

Not really sure what the volt competes with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Sicilian posted:

Sounds like Prius sold in less volume.

Not really sure what the volt competes with.

Sounds like you need to read the previous 157 pages of this thread.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Volt competes with ICE cars under $50,000. By which I mean most of them.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
IMO the Volt is too expensive, is ugly, has a poor quality interior, and basically put all its eggs in the Range Basket.

The Ioniq looks like a much more cohesive vehicle at a much lower price. I'm sure there will be more solid choices like it 5 years from now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I like the look of the Volt :shobon: which is a good thing, 'cos I'm leasing one tomorrow if things go okay at the dealer!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I like the look of the Volt :shobon: which is a good thing, 'cos I'm leasing one tomorrow if things go okay at the dealer!

What a lucky coincidence!

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

FistEnergy posted:

IMO the Volt is too expensive, is ugly, has a poor quality interior, and basically put all its eggs in the Range Basket.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The looks don't bother me although the concept was obviously much better looking, but the range means that for several years it was the only electric/hybrid option that would get me to work and back, since charging is not an option and will not be an option for the foreseeable future. Except maybe the Prius with the bigger battery, I don't remember when that became available but frankly the Prius is at Pontiac Aztec levels of ugliness.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The anti gm/volt consortium is just myopic and dumb. There is a zero percent chance I'd drive anything electric aside from the Volt right now. People mock the 350 mile road trips, but it's a fact of life that door to door, that's how far from my folks I am. It's 90%+ at 75mph to boot, and I only take one 20min stop on the way. I don't want to stop more, I don't want to stop longer, I've seen every nook and cranny on the way to and from, and I just want to get the trip done. Aside from that I'm all electric, and it's great. The $12k used volt fits a real segment that would be completely unreached otherwise.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

...but frankly the Prius is at Pontiac Aztec levels of ugliness.

I don't know what the gently caress happened inside Toyota, but their new models across the entire line are gently caress-ugly.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

blugu64 posted:

The anti gm/volt consortium is just myopic and dumb. There is a zero percent chance I'd drive anything electric aside from the Volt right now. People mock the 350 mile road trips, but it's a fact of life that door to door, that's how far from my folks I am. It's 90%+ at 75mph to boot, and I only take one 20min stop on the way. I don't want to stop more, I don't want to stop longer, I've seen every nook and cranny on the way to and from, and I just want to get the trip done. Aside from that I'm all electric, and it's great. The $12k used volt fits a real segment that would be completely unreached otherwise.

Would you have bought one new though?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

blugu64 posted:

That's why you move far enough away you can't just drive to visit your family and have to fly instead, problem solved.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
If I needed the Volt's range, I'd buy one. I have 3 kids - all of which are in carseats - so we use my wife's Town & Country for everything except my 50 mile daily commute to work. Paying many thousands more for a less attractive EV that is less efficient per mile makes zero sense for me.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

FistEnergy posted:

The Ioniq looks like a much more cohesive vehicle at a much lower price. I'm sure there will be more solid choices like it 5 years from now.

The quality of the gen 2 was vastly improved over the gen 1 Volt.

My issue with the Plug in Hybrid Ioniq is it seems like it wants to turn on the ICE engine too often, also it still has a normal transmission.

I watched a few videos on the Plug in Ioniq and all the drivers got the engine to turn on with not too hard acceleration, when I drove a Gen 2 Volt, the only way to do that was to floor it. (Gen 1 volt would never do it, unless the battery was empty)

Plug in Ioniq = Hybrid with a bigger battery
Gen 2 Volt = EV with a gas range extender and the occasional boost under 100% acceleration

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dbhjed posted:

The quality of the gen 2 was vastly improved over the gen 1 Volt.

My issue with the Plug in Hybrid Ioniq is it seems like it wants to turn on the ICE engine too often, also it still has a normal transmission.

I watched a few videos on the Plug in Ioniq and all the drivers got the engine to turn on with not too hard acceleration, when I drove a Gen 2 Volt, the only way to do that was to floor it. (Gen 1 volt would never do it, unless the battery was empty)

Plug in Ioniq = Hybrid with a bigger battery
Gen 2 Volt = EV with a gas range extender and the occasional boost under 100% acceleration

While in normal/sport mode with a charged battery the gen 1 or gen 2 Volt will never run the engine even if you floor it and take it all the way up to the top speed. If it was happening in the Volt you drove, it was likely in hold/CS/mountain mode, or the battery was depleted.

The only exception to this is if the outside temp is cold enough to trigger "ERDTT" (engine running due to temperature). This occurs at 30F normally. Or 14F if you have the Engine Assisted Heat setting on Deferred. Both are 100% EV until the battery is depleted otherwise.

The gen2 has 2 electric motors, one at 87kW (117HP) and another at 48kW (64HP). When you put your foot down it uses both of them in tandem. The gas engine on the other hand is only 75kW (101HP).

It also tries to keep the engine off as much as possible when in hold/hybrid mode. The engine will generally shut down when power needs are less than 6kW and/or speed is under 40mph. It seems to only fire back up when power needs are above 6kW for an extended amount of time.

From what I understand the Prius Prime has the same issue as the ionic plugin.. even in EV mode, it will still start the motor up under times of high load

stevewm fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 30, 2017

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

stevewm posted:

While in normal/sport mode with a charged battery the gen 1 or gen 2 Volt will never run the engine even if you floor it and take it all the way up to the top speed. If it was happening in the Volt you drove, it was likely in hold/CS/mountain mode, or the battery was depleted.

From what I understand the Prius Prime has the same issue as the ionic plugin.. even in EV mode, it will still start the motor up under times of high load

The Gen 1 Volt would never turn on the ICE unless the battery was low, but when renting a gen 2 for a week, I was able to get the ICE to turn on by pressing on the accelerator hard to get on the highway. I am talking 100% to the floor acceleration. But I don't remember how much was left on the battery, but they were not empty. The engine turned on for like 30 seconds then shut off again

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
How much load was put on the ICE here? I mean, I can't imagine it being very healthy for the ICE to turn on from stone cold, go full RPM, then shut off again after 30 seconds?

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

How much load was put on the ICE here? I mean, I can't imagine it being very healthy for the ICE to turn on from stone cold, go full RPM, then shut off again after 30 seconds?

It was a good push on it. It scared me the first time since my normal drive was the gen 1.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dbhjed posted:

The Gen 1 Volt would never turn on the ICE unless the battery was low, but when renting a gen 2 for a week, I was able to get the ICE to turn on by pressing on the accelerator hard to get on the highway. I am talking 100% to the floor acceleration. But I don't remember how much was left on the battery, but they were not empty. The engine turned on for like 30 seconds then shut off again

Strange. I've never had mine do that. And I've done a few pedal to floor runs.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Dbhjed posted:

I have floored our gen 2 probably 50 times full out in sport and normal and never had the engine come on. Not saying yours didn't but definitely not normal or even expected behavior.

ClassH fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 1, 2017

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ClassH posted:

I have floored our gen 2 probably 50 times full out in sport and normal and never had the engine come on. Not saying yours didn't but definitely not normal or even expected behavior.

Same! I just let tried this today and nothing.. Nice silent jaunt up to 80, battery power meter pegged, and 120kW output power showing on the dash. No engine being used.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Big TED talk/discussion with Elon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPaYrhUZSYQ
Everything from the Boring company to all Tesla stuff to Trump to SpaceX etc.

Also revealed a teaser image for the semi:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Didn't The Boring Company literally start out as a joke on twitter?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Collateral Damage posted:

Didn't The Boring Company literally start out as a joke on twitter?
We thought it was a joke.

It wasn't.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

stevewm posted:

Same! I just let tried this today and nothing.. Nice silent jaunt up to 80, battery power meter pegged, and 120kW output power showing on the dash. No engine being used.

Maybe something was up with the one I was renting, it was a rental after all and we know what kind of abuse those get.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Would it be a good idea to use a Tesla + power inverter to power your computer for a day? I'm having my home electricity turned off to have work done, but still need to do stuff that day.

This seems like a fine idea but idk if the 12V outlet is designed for that. I'm no electrician.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

smoobles posted:

Would it be a good idea to use a Tesla + power inverter to power your computer for a day? I'm having my home electricity turned off to have work done, but still need to do stuff that day.

This seems like a fine idea but idk if the 12V outlet is designed for that. I'm no electrician.

How big a computer? I'd run a modern MacBook (including a 15" Pro) off it, probably not a gaming rig.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

smoobles posted:

Put her in camping mode with a good inverter and you should be good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tesla has a camping mode? :monocle:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

An unofficial one. Car on, neutral, parking brake on. This way you can run the ac/heater all night while you are sleeping in the back.

The 12 volts are enough to run a laptop but perhaps not a desktop. You could also use it to drive somewhere else...

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Just check the size of the fuse on the 12v/cigarette plug, should be plenty for a laptop. The Leaf apparently has a 1500w 400v to 12v convertor, though you'd need to go directly to the battery to use most of that. People on the Tesla forums that have installed stereos and big amps should have an idea of the capacity of those convertors are. I'd honestly be shocked if it was less than the Leaf.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Ford Fusion update:. 1827.1km on the car, only filled up tank 1.2 times.

This thing is ridiculous. In a few months my daily drive to work is going to be 5km and the furthest I will need to drive is Costco, which coincidentally has a free EV plug across the street!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
A prius will run a refrigerator for a couple of days. There is even an OEM kit to hook it up to the whole house. I am sure there is a tesla powerwall hack. I would probably just rent a honda generator, make sure you put it outside.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Platystemon posted:

Exactly how I camp on the side of PCH near Malibu. With a big enough inverter I don't see you having a problem; barring planned use of a desktop or something.

If that's the case, rent a generator or kindly ask a neighbor to string an electrical cord. Unless you're a douche, they are, or it's not feasible, I can't see them saying no.

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016

Hizawk posted:

Ford Fusion update:. 1827.1km on the car, only filled up tank 1.2 times.

This thing is ridiculous. In a few months my daily drive to work is going to be 5km and the furthest I will need to drive is Costco, which coincidentally has a free EV plug across the street!

There's a Costco where they use km?!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

double ohm seven posted:

There's a Costco where they use km?!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In France it's actually called C'ost-ce-co.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Interesting:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/if-you-fast-charge-tesla-will-permanently-throttle-charging.90230/

Also: Pretty toxic forum there...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That seems bad. Really, really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sounds like bullshit. Bjørn Nyland has done loads more miles and supercharging than that guy and that guy used 50 kW as well. But Bjørn's was a 2013, maybe it's implemented on newer models. Calling this "service techs say the darndest things" in lieu of more official confirmation.

• Locked thread