Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

swickles posted:

What are you going to do when she wakes up?

One of these days the girl isn't going to wake up and RG3 will end up in jail.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I'm surprised nobody had the issue of transitioning from happily single to happily married. Nobody was afraid they might be making a mistake on who to settle down with? Divorce rates are crazy high.

Nothing chanced, nothing gained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I'm surprised nobody had the issue of transitioning from happily single to happily married. Nobody was afraid they might be making a mistake on who to settle down with? Divorce rates are crazy high.

divorce rates are high because the group of "people who get married" include the people who get married at 18 after accidentally getting knocked up and assorted jerry springer poo poo. if you truly love someone and things are clearly good there shouldn't be a question of if things will get bad later. i mean, your relationship could deteriorate 10 years from now, but no one can tell the future. i might die in a horrible accident on my way to get lunch today or north korea might drop a nuke on my head tomorrow but im just as worried about that as my marriage suddenly becoming bad.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
How are these picks taking longer than the 1st round picks? I can't, I'm out.

e: Wrong thread but I'mma leave this here. It's a lie I'm going to watch the all of this garbage.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I mean, divorce rates are crazy high because of why people get married. If you want to marry her because you want to marry her, go for it. If you feel there is an external pressure to marry her, that is what you should be worried about.

But I mean, otherwise man, cold feet is a thing.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
These are all good and kind words.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I never had any doubts. There wasn't even a proposal, we just moved in together and after a couple of years it was just a given that we were getting hitched. For myself, I guess I wasn't happily single, so the notion of not being able to ever see anyone else wasn't much of an issue. I would've been throwing away a 7-year relationship, at 30, for just the possibility of finding some theoretical women I liked better?

Long story short a hand in the bush is worth two in some bush you're imagining might be there in the future or something.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's nice that we're all in happy relationships, but maybe you should consult some non-goons if the joys of bachelorhood are a factor for you. I certainly have limited experience there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The most important key to a successful LTR isn't love, it's respect. If you respect the hell out of your partner and she respects the hell out of you, then you'll be OK.

Also for gently caress's sake don't marry someone you haven't lived with for at least a year. There's no reason to hurry, none.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
At least don't do a lame proposal.

Just be chilling on the couch watching Netflix and be like "Yo, let's get married".

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

A Man and his dog posted:

At least don't do a lame proposal.

Just be chilling on the couch watching Netflix and be like "Yo, let's get married".

Post the artisnal burrito

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also don't waste tens of thousands of dollars on a wedding

I got married at a really nice state park, surrounded by redwoods. It cost like $50. The most expensive thing was the catering (about a grand), my wife picked a nice dress that was around $200, and the other thing to spend real money on is an actual photographer (my one regret, having a family member do the pictures).

Your wedding will be memorable no matter what and the wedding industry is super predatory and convinces people to waste ridiculous amounts on stuff that has zero impact on your long-term happiness.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ostentatious posted:

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Leperflesh posted:

I got married at a really nice state park, surrounded by redwoods. It cost like $50. The most expensive thing was the catering (about a grand), my wife picked a nice dress that was around $200, and the other thing to spend real money on is an actual photographer (my one regret, having a family member do the pictures).

Your wedding will be memorable no matter what and the wedding industry is super predatory and convinces people to waste ridiculous amounts on stuff that has zero impact on your long-term happiness.

Let's just put a stop to wedding cost chat before this derails.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ostentatious posted:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Leperflesh posted:

I'm doing a more traditional wedding, and it's expensive as gently caress. It'll be nice, and most of the expense is everyone our parents have ever met being fed and drunked. Whatever, going to have a nice time and gouge the rich olds on presents. Roomba on the registry.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Ostentatious posted:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

My gf's​ dad had one of his lungs shut down and is diabetic

House is super lonely without her around imo while she's visiting him

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

My gf's​ dad had one of his lungs shut down and is diabetic

House is super lonely without her around imo while she's visiting him

i'm sure you can imagine another one

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

Do it bitch

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Don't spend poo poo on the wedding, eloping owns, money in the bank owns. If you both want a big party then fine, but a big wedding for its own sake is some dumb loving poo poo if you aren't rich.

Marriage is for when you know you're going to be with the person forever anyway. If that isn't a given don't do it.

Also if you don't agree on money and kids (or lack thereof) lol kill yourself. Because if you don't agree on these things for real everything is hosed forever.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 29, 2017

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

These doubts happen, and they're not a big deal, it's human to wonder how bad you're loving your life up on a daily basis. Just relax, remember nobody's perfect, she's having to put up with all your bullshit too, and the rest will work itself out. The biggest tools that've helped me survive the last decade of coupledom are to recognize when you're mad and not do anything stupid until you've calmed down, to not be afraid to say whatever the hell is going on with you even if it's uncomfortable, and to be willing to listen to her own take on things and respect that opinion, even if you don't always share it. If this comes off as some stereotypical trite cliche, that's because those stereotypes exist for a reason, and similar to what you likely figured out post-teenage years, your problems aren't some unique special snowflake issues, people are universally stupid about pretty much the same stuff. Overall, always fall back on that "just relax" piece, people always over complicate this stuff for no good reason.

Also, if you do gently caress it all up, worst case scenario we all die alone anyway, you'll just be getting a jump start. Overachiever.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

i'm sure you can imagine another one

Please young gop don't belittle that ty

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
A person I knew growing up ended up marrying his college sweetheart and after five years they got a divorce. The reason? She didn't want kids.

How the gently caress do you not discuss something like that before tying the knot?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Anxiety about big life decisions is natural, but you have to be honest with yourself about what you're worried about. If you can articulate real problems then that should give you pause. If the person actively keeps you from the things in life that make you happy, or makes you feel like poo poo for even wanting them in the first place, that's some toxic poo poo to worry about.

Stuff like "what of they spontaneously decide they hate me and go gently caress everyone else and steal all my poo poo?!?" is just irrational anxiety or whatever. You know, probably . :v:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I will post this delicious chicken parm I had yesterday.

Beautiful thick chicken cutlets.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

The most important key to a successful LTR isn't love, it's respect. If you respect the hell out of your partner and she respects the hell out of you, then you'll be OK.

Also for gently caress's sake don't marry someone you haven't lived with for at least a year. There's no reason to hurry, none.

This is legit good advice. poo poo changes when you live together and you figure out how much respect you have for one another and how well you can discuss things and overcome disagreements.

Edit: the people I know who have divorced either didn't have or lost respect for one another and acted accordingly, or were incapable of having real, tough conversations to work through things.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 29, 2017

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

A Man and his dog posted:

I will post this delicious chicken parm I had yesterday.

Beautiful thick chicken cutlets.

Ostentatious posted:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Same. Table. Cloth.

:v:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I just murdered a pine tree, and I'm covered in sawdust and sap.

Happy Arbor day!

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
It's a gorgeous, breezy day and i'm thristing for an LP traditional right about now.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
If you have even a single doubt about being married don't do it. It could be the biggest mistake of your life. Remember, you're on the defensive - it's not a gender thing, it's as a member of the internet intelligentsia. Imagine getting married and realizing he/she reads reddit, or likes the original bob Dylan version of all along the watchtower. It can't be risked.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Being married is awesome.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
My wife is awesome and most days I don't want to strangle my kids so

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My wife and I spent today drinking wine and packing and getting ready for our vacation to New Orleans today. We leave for NOLA tomorrow and are going to Jazz fest next week. It's gonna loving own bones.

Having a person to spend your life with is the tits

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 30, 2017

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I like being single

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

a neat cape posted:

I like being single

Single. Like the amount of meals you eat in a day.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

i went to medieval times today and the princess had a violent seizure in the middle of her lines. i went to take a piss and children were crying in the lobby. the world loving sucks sometimes

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Im single and wouldn't mind having a partner but i see some of my friends hating life in a couple where they're just beaten down and im like... gently caress that.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It is far worse to go through life with the wrong person than to go through life as your own main companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Woke up at 5 am to smoke 2 pork butts, my 2nd time using the smoker baby!

• Locked thread