Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

That was put out before the quali, so they're for sure going to flip out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh wow, it's been 9 years since Ferrari locked out the front row....

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Sochi is a great successor to Valencia.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

It's this and it's making me lol

Is anyone itt not loling at this?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nico must be laughing to himself that he was in that car for three years where they absolutely could've put anybody in there, got a championship out of it and just fucks off for the year where they actually could've used him.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Mods, make this my av pls

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

At this rate, he'll get the moniker butt rear end if he's not careful.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Just watched the replay and oh yes, so ready for another vettel WDC, and finally proving Hamilton and Verstappen to be the frauds they are.

Also, lol, Stroll. Give up your seat.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Stroll looks like he's really struggling with the car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Mods, make this my av pls

Same.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

1500quidporsche posted:

Nico must be laughing to himself that he was in that car for three years where they absolutely could've put anybody in there, got a championship out of it and just fucks off for the year where they actually could've used him.

I've just been thinking that the big mistake Mercades did was not putting Grossjean in that seat, he's spent years dragging a dogshit Lotus around followed by a year of incredibly intense development work on what is in essence a car made by Ferrari.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

geonetix posted:

Just watched the replay and oh yes, so ready for another vettel WDC, and finally proving Hamilton and Verstappen to be the frauds they are.

Also, lol, Stroll. Give up your seat.

And Palmer.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

learnincurve posted:

I've just been thinking that the big mistake Mercades did was not putting Grossjean in that seat, he's spent years dragging a dogshit Lotus around followed by a year of incredibly intense development work on what is in essence a car made by Ferrari.

The seat really should have gone to Are Checo

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hey guys Lance Stroll is bad and won't finish this GP

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

Hey guys Lance Stroll is bad and won't finish this GP

:agreed:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The pattern with Stroll is that by the end of the first stint he has borked his tyres and can't control the car. Then he ends up concentrating too hard on what the car is doing rather than the people on the track and bins it.

The only question is will he bring out the red flags after Ferrari have just pitted or after the mercs pit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Merc strategy panic causes them to pit early, Stroll bins it, brings out safety car, The Scud get a free pit stop and The Finger comes back out again.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

Merc strategy panic causes them to pit early, Stroll bins it, brings out safety car, The Scud get a free pit stop and The Finger comes back out again.

I'm ready to be fingered again tbh

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
So, EJ is claiming that McLaren has done a deal with Mercedes for engines.

quote:

McLaren and Mercedes have denied the claim by TV pundit Eddie Jordan that a deal has already been done for the Woking team to switch from Honda power for the 2018 season.

The two parties have been linked to a possible reunion for some weeks as an inevitable consequence of Honda's ongoing struggles, and the necessity for McLaren to return to competitive form as soon as possible.

Jordan, who has built a reputation for making predictions that turn out to come true, confidently reported today that the deal has been done.

However, McLaren racing director Eric Boullier was keen to put an end to the suggestion.

"I'm very confident to tell you that Eddie Jordan is wrong," he said when asked by Motorsport.com.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff told Jordan in a Channel 4 interview that McLaren is capable of resolving its issues without Mercedes help.

"They don't need our engine," said the Austrian. "They have a Honda relationship that is going through a difficult phase at the moment.

"But McLaren and Honda have the resource, the human resource and financial resource, to drag themselves out of the difficult situation."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-jordan-wrong-on-mercedes-engine-deal-claim-899851/

I'm just gonna go with blind faith and believe Eddie cause half the poo poo he spews turns out to be true although I guess when you spew literally every scenario you're bound to get some right. Also, with Ron gone the possibility of McLaren going back to customer Mercedes engines is infinitely more possible than if Ron were still around.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It is also possible that the information Eddie has is being confused by the fact that we just found out that Mercedes and illian have been quietly working with Honda since it started rattling itself apart, and this update in Spain will be a joint effor to rectify the problem.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Wirth1000 posted:

So, EJ is claiming that McLaren has done a deal with Mercedes for engines.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-jordan-wrong-on-mercedes-engine-deal-claim-899851/

I'm just gonna go with blind faith and believe Eddie cause half the poo poo he spews turns out to be true although I guess when you spew literally every scenario you're bound to get some right. Also, with Ron gone the possibility of McLaren going back to customer Mercedes engines is infinitely more possible than if Ron were still around.

I'm going to say he is wrong. Merc just got bent over by Williams to get Boat-rear end and McLaren gets free engines (albeit bad engines) and a massive palate of cash from Honda.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

It is also possible that the information Eddie has is being confused by the fact that we just found out that Mercedes and illian have been quietly working with Honda since it started rattling itself apart, and this update in Spain will be a joint effor to rectify the problem.

Yeah, he could've correctly heard that McLaren have worked out a deal with Mercedes and jumped to the wrong conclusion regarding what that deal is.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GramCracker posted:

I'm ready to be fingered again tbh

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Wierd that the mercs seems to struggle warming tires. Aren't they typically harder on them, hence why Ferrari have better race pace? Does that mean Ferrari are going to be slower in the race due to tire wear now?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ferrai took less out of the tyre than the mercs. I know it seems like a glorious dream that will be cruelty shattered at any point, but the fact is that on a power dependant track that absolutely suits Mercades in every way, and puts them 1.2 seconds faster than the red bull behind them, Ferrari are simply better than them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

EJ said rather emphatically that Red Bull were going to get Audi engines and accosted Horner over it so I'm not putting too much stock in that

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Ferrai took less out of the tyre than the mercs. I know it seems like a glorious dream that will be cruelty shattered at any point, but the fact is that on a power dependant track that absolutely suits Mercades in every way, and puts them 1.2 seconds faster than the red bull behind them, Ferrari are simply better than them.

Sochi is real rough on brakes. Not the Mercs most bullet proof area.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only thing that Mercedes has is the first sector.

Hamilton is specially bad in the third sector.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

Sochi is real rough on brakes. Not the Mercs most bullet proof area.

Oh good we will get to see both Haas's in the wall then

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

1500quidporsche posted:

EJ said rather emphatically that Red Bull were going to get Audi engines and accosted Horner over it so I'm not putting too much stock in that

They were until the VW emissions scandal hit and VAG decided to stay out of F1.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I think some kind of deal should be made where Williams gets rid of Stroll, but keeps his mom and sister around.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

gret posted:

They were until the VW emissions scandal hit and VAG decided to stay out of F1.

There's like zero scenarios I could see Piech signing off on being in F1. It was just rumors by Red Bull for the usual political gain.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

There's like zero scenarios I could see Piech signing off on being in F1. It was just rumors by Red Bull for the usual political gain.

No, I'm fairly certain gret is right, they were 100% going to enter F1 until the emissions scandal.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
There were endless reports about VAG constantly proping F1 and commissioning reports about the viability of running a team.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

No, I'm fairly certain gret is right, they were 100% going to enter F1 until the emissions scandal.

I don't think there was any sort of indication this was going to happen beyond Eddie's story and a bunch of tinfoil hat wearers swearing that Domenicali was preparing some super secret Audi engine.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Would Redbull Audi be the most insufferable F1 team of all time?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Would Redbull Audi be the most insufferable F1 team of all time?

Almost certainly

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm trying to think of the last truly insufferable team to win a championship before Red Bull and the closest I can get is Ferrari when they pulled that tire protest horseshit.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

Yep I thought the rumour was a buyout of Torro Rosso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

djssniper posted:

Yep I thought the rumour was a buyout of Torro Rosso

It would've made sense, Red Bull were desperate to sell them for a time but they've pumped so much money into the team that no one can afford it.

• Locked thread