Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Snooze Cruise posted:

Ophelia Stairs
Cassandra's Horoscope

Julie Andromeda Mao - Andromeda was the daughter of a greek king chained to a rock to feed a sea monster. Unfortunately for her, Miller's middle name wasn't Perseus.

Clarissa Melpomene Mao, Julie's sister, was mentioned a few episodes back during a Avasarala/Errinwright scene. Melpomene was the muse of the chorus, but later became the muse of tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Isn't Caliban's War a reference to the ongoing troubles in Afghanistan in Expanse-Earth ?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oberron's Horn
Arachne's Closet
Carlito's Way

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Golli posted:

Isn't Caliban's War a reference to the ongoing troubles in Afghanistan in Expanse-Earth ?

No, it's a reference to Caliban, a half-human slave in Shakespeare's The Tempest.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oberron's Horn
Arachne's Closet
Carlito's Way

Hey, remember me? It's Benny Blanco-Guanxi from Mars

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

In the show, Caliban is also the codename for the protomolecule monster.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

In the show, Caliban is also the codename for the protomolecule monster.

Hence the reference to The Tempest's Caliban. In the play you have a half-human entity saying "gently caress you" to the humans; in the expanse you have the half-human half-protomolecule hybrids doing much of the same.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Phi230 posted:

Hey, remember me? It's Benny Blanco-Guanxi from Mars

This is a very good joke.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Number Ten Cocks posted:

They could have also inserted a cartoon about Smurfs teaching the same lesson, but that would have been extremely stupid, out of place, and completely unsynched to the rest of the show. This was like that, but less stupid and out of synch. I would have preferred zero on both scales.

That would've been great actually. Open an episode with a Misk & Mariska(or whatever the backpack dinosaurs were called) adventure featuring the drive, then cut to Amos and Alex drinking beer and watching it while the Roci is on a long drift. I'd prefer that over some guy sitting in a chair going "hi I made spaceships work welp time to die".

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
The show does have a distinct lack of Amos and Alex drinking and gambling their way through shore leave.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Hence the reference to The Tempest's Caliban. In the play you have a half-human entity saying "gently caress you" to the humans; in the expanse you have the half-human half-protomolecule hybrids doing much of the same.

His name is also an anagram for Canibal and, in most reading of Tempest as an autobiography, represents the groundlings or common folk. The dim-witted people easily distracted by pretty sights but incredibly fickle and likely to turn against you the second another option comes along, Shakespeare didn't really have a high opinion of the common folk.

In the centuries since the play was written, Caliban has also become a sort of symbol of colonialism and how the Europeans treated aboriginal people they came across. Enslavement and complete dismissal of their culture and intelligence, pretty much exactly how Mao and everyone else in the series, except maybe Miller, treats the protomolecule.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

bloom posted:

That would've been great actually. Open an episode with a Misk & Mariska(or whatever the backpack dinosaurs were called) adventure featuring the drive, then cut to Amos and Alex drinking beer and watching it while the Roci is on a long drift. I'd prefer that over some guy sitting in a chair going "hi I made spaceships work welp time to die".

Yeah this would have been rad as heck actually.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

His name is also an anagram for Canibal and, in most reading of Tempest as an autobiography, represents the groundlings or common folk. The dim-witted people easily distracted by pretty sights but incredibly fickle and likely to turn against you the second another option comes along, Shakespeare didn't really have a high opinion of the common folk.

In the centuries since the play was written, Caliban has also become a sort of symbol of colonialism and how the Europeans treated aboriginal people they came across. Enslavement and complete dismissal of their culture and intelligence, pretty much exactly how Mao and everyone else in the series, except maybe Miller, treats the protomolecule.

Yeah shakespeare was a total booj-lord and we didn't really get intentionally good, comprehensive portrayals of the common man's plight till death of a salesman.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

The show does have a distinct lack of Amos and Alex drinking and gambling their way through shore leave.

This. Those two on shore leave hit every bar, brothel and gambling den when they aren't on duty.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

:lol: The poor, primitive, victimized protomolecule. Dude, humans are the aborgines.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 29, 2017

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Number Ten Cocks posted:

:lol: The poor, primitive, victimized protomolecule.

Well, I mean, it is an alien intelligence (or at least the closest thing the expanse peeps deal with till the gates and poo poo) and the first thing we do, because humans are p poo poo, is try to exploit it.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Well, I mean, it is an alien intelligence (or at least the closest thing the expanse peeps deal with till the gates and poo poo) and the first thing we do, because humans are p poo poo, is try to exploit it.

:yikes:

What is the first thing it did upon discovering humans?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Its job. :colbert: but no really, its job. protomolecule's an intelligent hammer and all the universe is its nail

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually thought they were a bit harsh to the proto"monster" when it was on their ship. It seemed passive and only interested in food. Plant guy was right, it was clearly an intelligent sentient creature and maybe there would have been some way to communicate with it. Just give it a nuke's core and slowly approach it like in those street dog rescue videos.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Its job. :colbert: but no really, its job. protomolecule's an intelligent hammer and all the universe is its nail

It just rose up and seized the means of production in order to build a better world. :ussr:

You can't build a huge alien omelet without breaking a hundred thousand sentient eggs.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 29, 2017

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Number Ten Cocks posted:

It just rose up and seized the means of production in order to build a better world. :ussr:

unironically, yes

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Baronjutter posted:

I actually thought they were a bit harsh to the proto"monster" when it was on their ship. It seemed passive and only interested in food. Plant guy was right, it was clearly an intelligent sentient creature and maybe there would have been some way to communicate with it. Just give it a nuke's core and slowly approach it like in those street dog rescue videos.

I feel like if Holden hadn't just made up with Naomi there was the possibility of a love triangle here. Dumb, narrow minded writers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

scifi released a little video of the "best of" drummer and a promise that we'll see even more of her in season 3. That makes me happy. I'm glad they're expanding characters that apparently aren't really that important from the books if they have good actors or good fan reaction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVgSVFXM8M

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like plant guy, i hope he TAKES ROOT in the ship and remains a major character after i assume they get his daughter back

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Baronjutter posted:

scifi released a little video of the "best of" drummer and a promise that we'll see even more of her in season 3. That makes me happy. I'm glad they're expanding characters that apparently aren't really that important from the books if they have good actors or good fan reaction.

She's got to be replacing Michio Pa for the book 3 stuff (so backhalf of season 3), and I suspect with the show changes and how Holden found out that Fred Johnson has the protomolecule sample in the finale the Rocinante will be headed to Tycho for some sort of confrontation first episode of next season. They've got no leads or reason to hang around Ganymede right now, so that seems the the logical destination.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Number Ten Cocks posted:

You're assigning malice to an automaton. It wasn't meant to encounter multi-cellular life, let alone sentient life. It was doing its best to do what it was programmed to do.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

i like plant guy, i hope he TAKES ROOT in the ship and remains a major character after i assume they get his daughter back

You're in luck, Prax is totes cool and vaguely important!

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Phi230 posted:

You're assigning malice to an automaton. It wasn't meant to encounter multi-cellular life, let alone sentient life. It was doing its best to do what it was programmed to do.

It's a pretty smart automaton! But you're right, there is no free will and no malice, life is a war of all against all by automatons who sometimes mistakenly think they exist.

I agree that the protomolecule does nothing wrong when it liquifies humans, humans do nothing wrong when they eat cattle, and the UN and Mars do nothing wrong when they oppress Belters.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Number Ten Cocks posted:

It's a pretty smart automaton! But you're right, there is no free will and no malice, life is a war of all against all by automatons who sometimes mistakenly think they exist.

yes now replace "life" with "capitalism" :ussr:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I agree that the protomolecule does nothing wrong when it liquifies humans, humans do nothing wrong when they eat cattle, and the UN and Mars do nothing wrong when they oppress Belters.

My guess is you haven't read book 2 yet so I'll just say your dumb opinion is wrong and will be proven wrong in about a year

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

yes now replace "life" with "capitalism"

Capitalism is life, life is capitalism. Some can't accept this.

Phi230 posted:

My guess is you haven't read book 2 yet so I'll just say your dumb opinion is wrong and will be proven wrong in about a year

I've read all the books and just finished a reread of book 2. In book 4 it explicitly thinks of humans as aborigines. It understand the concept and has no instructions to not destroy sentient life to accomplish its purposes. Nor does it care about loading/maintaining insane subminds based on absorbed humans, only the runaway Miller process cares and takes steps to kill the whole thing.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 29, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Some of the posts on this page really need more spoiler tags.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Capitalism is life, life is capitalism. Some can't accept this.

I've read all the books and just finished a reread of book 2. In book 4 it explicitly thinks of humans as aborigines. It understand the concept and has no instructions to not destroy sentient life to accomplish its purposes. Nor does it care about loading/maintaining insane subminds based on absorbed humans, only the runaway Miller process cares and takes steps to kill the whole thing.

It doesn't think about anything. It's incapable of caring about the remnants of consciousness it contains. It's a fancy genetic algorithm, not an entity with even limited agency.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Toast Museum posted:

It doesn't think about anything. It's incapable of caring about the remnants of consciousness it contains. It's a fancy genetic algorithm, not an entity with even limited agency.

The only way that makes it different from humanity is that it lacks our illusions.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

R-Type posted:

From the show-watcher's only perspective, who the gently caress is Caliban and why should I care about his war. I know they titled a book from the series, but why name a episode that if it's not explained?
Honestly, you had a lot of book readers asking that exact question after reading that book.

The show at least put "CALIBAN PROJECT" on that pad Avasarala showed Bobbie. The word "Caliban" never appeared in the text of "Caliban's War." The literate masses were left to google "Caliban" and reach their own conclusions. (Or have familiarity with The Tempest and reach their on conclusions.)

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Eiba posted:

Honestly, you had a lot of book readers asking that exact question after reading that book.

The show at least put "CALIBAN PROJECT" on that pad Avasarala showed Bobbie. The word "Caliban" never appeared in the text of "Caliban's War." The literate masses were left to google "Caliban" and reach their own conclusions. (Or have familiarity with The Tempest and reach their on conclusions.)

None of the book titles appear inside any of the books. Everyone should have to google Cibola unless you know some pretty obscure or specialized poo poo, and maybe the same for Abbadon, but the rest are at least fair. Caliban is the third most obscure, I'm not going to claim everyone should have read the Tempest or remember every character.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 29, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I knew what Cibola was, but that was more because I read a lot of stuff about weird poo poo when i was a teen, and the 7 cities of gold.

My first reaction to Leviathan is that it's a Thomas Hobbes reference.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And Abbadon's Gate is a reference to warhammer 40k

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

None of the book titles appear inside any of the books. Everyone should have to google Cibola unless you know some pretty obscure or specialized poo poo, and maybe the same for Abbadon, but the rest are at least fair. Caliban is the third most obscure, I'm not going to claim everyone should have read the Tempest or remember every character.
Oddly enough I read a biography of Esteban Dorantes (an native African who either escaped or died while leading a Spanish expedition for Cibola) right before Cibola Burns, which was a really fun coincidence. So Caliban was the only one I had to look up.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Snooze Cruise posted:

Ophelia Stairs

The protomolocule discovers the Something Awful forums and uses it to study humanity. It subsequently "drowns" itself in one of Venus' lava plains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

MizPiz posted:

The protomolocule discovers the Something Awful forums and uses it to study humanity. It subsequently preps the bull.

This is genefic we are talking about here. Gotta shoehorn in a fetish.

• Locked thread