Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Top dog nomination has closed and top dog subforum voting has started!

Go there and vote, then go out and vote up all the other dogs in the other forums, but make sure to only vote for the bad ones (tactical dog voting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

sebmojo posted:

Top dog nomination has closed and top dog subforum voting has started!

Go there and vote, then go out and vote up all the other dogs in the other forums, but make sure to only vote for the bad ones (tactical dog voting)

Seb! You do standup ha-has too, or just comedy writing? That's most of why I've been all absent from TD, I switched to almost entirely comedy writing. Here's a clip of a set I did the other night, any good goons in here feel like giving me some feedback?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og9m2ECBejs

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Seb! You do standup ha-has too, or just comedy writing? That's most of why I've been all absent from TD, I switched to almost entirely comedy writing. Here's a clip of a set I did the other night, any good goons in here feel like giving me some feedback?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og9m2ECBejs

Just curious, but how long have you been doing stand up? Also, where are you based out of

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Sataere posted:

Just curious, but how long have you been doing stand up? Also, where are you based out of

About four months now. I'm out of Houston.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

About four months now. I'm out of Houston.

Cool. A couple things I noticed.

Move the mic stand out of the way. Otherwise, it is a wall between you and your audience.

Try not to be too fidgety up there. A little pacing is ok, but sometimes I thought you needed to go to the bathroom, and we're struggling to hold it in.

I liked the racial stuff you lead with. You had a lot of quick tags to get going. I also appreciated that you weren't bringing generic stuff, but personal experience. I do a lot of that myself and I hate when people just reinforce stereotypes.

The stuff on depression seemed very touch and go. You had a lot if description in that part of your set, but not a lot of jokes.

I have tried talking about depression on stage, and found it to be one of the trickiest subjects to talk about. I actually shelved my material, because I never felt I was tackling if well.

If your audience starts feeling sorry for you, it becomes a lot harder to get a laugh. It's a very fine line when talking about depression. You have to not make it sad, while still keeping it honest.

You have a unique point of view, which is awesome. I like that you are talking about who you are. If you aren't recording every set, start doing so. And start listening to see what works and what doesn't. Recordings don't lie.

Good luck, dude. I hope you stick with it. The first six months to a year is the hardest part.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Sataere posted:

Cool. A couple things I noticed.

Move the mic stand out of the way. Otherwise, it is a wall between you and your audience.

Try not to be too fidgety up there. A little pacing is ok, but sometimes I thought you needed to go to the bathroom, and we're struggling to hold it in.

I liked the racial stuff you lead with. You had a lot of quick tags to get going. I also appreciated that you weren't bringing generic stuff, but personal experience. I do a lot of that myself and I hate when people just reinforce stereotypes.

The stuff on depression seemed very touch and go. You had a lot if description in that part of your set, but not a lot of jokes.

I have tried talking about depression on stage, and found it to be one of the trickiest subjects to talk about. I actually shelved my material, because I never felt I was tackling if well.

If your audience starts feeling sorry for you, it becomes a lot harder to get a laugh. It's a very fine line when talking about depression. You have to not make it sad, while still keeping it honest.

You have a unique point of view, which is awesome. I like that you are talking about who you are. If you aren't recording every set, start doing so. And start listening to see what works and what doesn't. Recordings don't lie.

Good luck, dude. I hope you stick with it. The first six months to a year is the hardest part.

Thanks so much for the feedback, man! I took the mic off the stand and moved it out for every set I've done since you suggested it. Here's a set I did the other night. I was #38 out of 39 comics. I went on at 11:50 PM to an audience of seven of the drunkest people I've ever seen.

My self-crits:
I'm going wayyy too fast. I have to slow things down
My face looks like a blazing sunshine
No more Ums.

Rough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtv4eeaV3fg

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 1, 2017

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Thanks so much for the feedback, man! I took the mic off the stand and moved it out for every set I've done since you suggested it. Here's a set I did the other night. I was #38 out of 39 comics. I went on at 11:50 PM to an audience of seven of the drunkest people I've ever seen.

My self-crits:
I'm going wayyy too fast. I have to slow things down
My face looks like a blazing sunshine
No more Ums.

Rough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtv4eeaV3fg

Oh man, I was having the same issues. Moving around a lot. (I still do but I try to make them more controlled instead of looking fidgety).
I talk way to fast in my day to day life, so on stage when I'm that little bit more nervous I have to slow it way down. So I know how you feel. I've found that a solid hour of rehearsal and putting in pregnant pauses before some punchlines helps a lot with the speed.

I've just moved from a City of 2 million (Brisbane) with about 10 different rooms. To to a 'city' of 142,000 (Cairns) with 1 room.
Weirdly the comedy scene is WAY better in Cairns where I have moved to since its brand new in the area, everyone is super supportive, there aren't any comedian cliques and its not a 1 month wait to get 5 mins of Open Mic time. Also we're filling our 1 room almost to capacity most nights. (About 100 peeps before the fire marshal has something to say about it). The tricky part is that we are getting a lot of regulars. So I'm writing new stuff every 2 weeks to try so the audience doesn't get bored.

Got my Best jokes on rotation in between the new stuff so I can develop those and make them stronger.

Anyone got tips on crowd work? I'm trying to do a little bit every gig but its hard to squeeze much into a 5 min slot.
I've been granted my first 10-15 min slot this month for a Seven Deadly Sins night and I'd like to nail that. but don't want to run that long without engaging people a little bit.

So far I just try and bait people with leading questions or just talk at a particular person.

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 3, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Bompacho posted:

Oh man, I was having the same issues. Moving around a lot. (I still do but I try to make them more controlled instead of looking fidgety).
I talk way to fast in my day to day life, so on stage when I'm that little bit more nervous I have to slow it way down. So I know how you feel. I've found that a solid hour of rehearsal and putting in pregnant pauses before some punchlines helps a lot with the speed.

I've just moved from a City of 2 million (Brisbane) with about 10 different rooms. To to a 'city' of 142,000 (Cairns) with 1 room.
Weirdly the comedy scene is WAY better in Cairns where I have moved to since its brand new in the area, everyone is super supportive, there aren't any comedian cliques and its not a 1 month wait to get 5 mins of Open Mic time. Also we're filling our 1 room almost to capacity most nights. (About 100 peeps before the fire marshal has something to say about it). The tricky part is that we are getting a lot of regulars. So I'm writing new stuff every 2 weeks to try so the audience doesn't get bored.

Got my Best jokes on rotation in between the new stuff so I can develop those and make them stronger.

Anyone got tips on crowd work? I'm trying to do a little bit every gig but its hard to squeeze much into a 5 min slot.
I've been granted my first 10-15 min slot this month for a Seven Deadly Sins night and I'd like to nail that. but don't want to run that long without engaging people a little bit.

So far I just try and bait people with leading questions or just talk at a particular person.

Smaller scenes are way more supportive, but I guarantee you there are clicks there too. They just aren't as annoying about it.

I don't have any advice about crowd work. I try to work with my material and just play off the audience. It is something I need to focus on at some point, I just try to be in the moment and if something funny is happening or I see someone respond in a way that makes me want to talk to them, I just do.

One thing I do is if I see someone talking to an audience member and I feel he's missed a good joke, I start off going right after him. It makes things more fun.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I noticed in the first set, you talked about the "dot or the feather" and then you said "...which I loving hate." I think if you "loving hate" something, you should talk about why you loving hate it instead of just saying you loving hate it. Maybe return the favor, like "what kind of white guy are you, fedora or puka shells" etc. I guess in general the point is that a statement like "I loving hate this thing" should be backed up by more. Same with "I loving love this thing." But I'm not a comic yet, just a fan of comedy making an observation, take it with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I'm doing my first open mic tomorrow night! Wish me luck everyone. Anyone else in Tampa?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Any Atlanta goons around here? I'm thinking of trying out an open mic soon and want to know if anyone has any insight about the scene.

I'm nervous just thinking about it, but I figure I'll regret it if I don't just give it a shot.

Thanks!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Not from Atlanta, but just go out there and do it. And record your set to listen to it later. Take it from me, it's easy to come up with reasons to not do it and you will regret it if it's something you know you want to do.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I noticed in the first set, you talked about the "dot or the feather" and then you said "...which I loving hate." I think if you "loving hate" something, you should talk about why you loving hate it instead of just saying you loving hate it. Maybe return the favor, like "what kind of white guy are you, fedora or puka shells" etc. I guess in general the point is that a statement like "I loving hate this thing" should be backed up by more. Same with "I loving love this thing." But I'm not a comic yet, just a fan of comedy making an observation, take it with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I'm doing my first open mic tomorrow night! Wish me luck everyone. Anyone else in Tampa?

This is very smart advice. Best of luck on your journey of disappointing townies.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

That sounds like a recipe for getting snatched and murdered
Thursday night I legit headlined my own show for the first time. All the advertising featured my name and face, and I felt comfortable and at home on stage and they rewarded me with copious amounts of laughter. It felt amazing. After one of the best closing jokes of my career so far, the host took the mic, gave me an unsolicited hug (which the other two male comics did not get), held me in this side hug and said to the crowd "And there she is folks, and now you know why they kicked her out of 4H. She couldn't keep her calves together!"

It's a real mystery why more women don't do stand up, amirite?

I'm happy with how the set was and everything else about it was great, but I was just loving irked because no loving way would he have said some poo poo like that about a dude.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Have you guys noticed the weird phenomenon of open mics are hard laughs, but showcases the audience laughs at everything even if it isn't funny?

It's just weird to me that, we'll have packed to the brim Open Mics, people killing it with their best material; and folks are hesitant. But sparse (or full) showcases go down and everyone laughs?

Have you guys noticed this phenomenon of, "people that come to laugh?"

Who comes to an open mic not wanting to laugh?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Greek Tragedy posted:

Thursday night I legit headlined my own show for the first time. All the advertising featured my name and face, and I felt comfortable and at home on stage and they rewarded me with copious amounts of laughter. It felt amazing. After one of the best closing jokes of my career so far, the host took the mic, gave me an unsolicited hug (which the other two male comics did not get), held me in this side hug and said to the crowd "And there she is folks, and now you know why they kicked her out of 4H. She couldn't keep her calves together!"

I'm happy with how the set was and everything else about it was great, but I was just loving irked because no loving way would he have said some poo poo like that about a dude.

Wow I'm surprised you got so many laughs when you don't even know what a joke is.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

a dingus posted:

Wow I'm surprised you got so many laughs when you don't even know what a joke is.

You are wrong and she is right to be annoyed about it. It doesn't matter if she joked about sex on stage, the host shouldn't be saying poo poo like that.

Also, randomly hugging female comics and not the males is not ok. The host shouldn't be doing creepy poo poo. It might not seem overt, but it is demeaning her value as a comic. I wouldn't be surprised if he introduced her as a very funny lady, instead of as a very funny comic.

revolther posted:

Have you guys noticed the weird phenomenon of open mics are hard laughs, but showcases the audience laughs at everything even if it isn't funny?

It's just weird to me that, we'll have packed to the brim Open Mics, people killing it with their best material; and folks are hesitant. But sparse (or full) showcases go down and everyone laughs?

Have you guys noticed this phenomenon of, "people that come to laugh?"

Who comes to an open mic not wanting to laugh?

It's not that surprising. Open mics are full of comics who either

a) Have already heard you work on a joke enough times to no longer find it funny
b) Are busy thinking about what they are going to say, so aren't paying attention
c) Have a different standard of what they find funny. Comics tend to consume a lot more comedy, so in a way, they've heard it all, which makes them harder to please.

With showcases, people have generally paid to see you perform. Because they have invested financially, they are more emotionally invested in your success.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Why is anyone hugging other comics at shows? Whether it's a condescending or creepy dude, or even when it's a woman who insists she's a hugger. You wouldn't hug your coworkers at your day job, right?

Also, the host shouldn't be trying to piggyback any of your jokes or stories after you've closed the show. Whether it's weirdly sexist or not, no time after the headliner.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

freud mayweather posted:

Why is anyone hugging other comics at shows? Whether it's a condescending or creepy dude, or even when it's a woman who insists she's a hugger. You wouldn't hug your coworkers at your day job, right?

Also, the host shouldn't be trying to piggyback any of your jokes or stories after you've closed the show. Whether it's weirdly sexist or not, no time after the headliner.

Absolute truth. I hate when hosts don't shut the gently caress up after the show. Let them know whenough the next show is, make any other announcements and get the gently caress off the stage. It isn't about you.

I'm a hugger offstage for sure, but I'd never do it onstage.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I've done a couple shows now and been to many others and it's amazing the difference in show quality between a host who just does their job and one who can't shut their goddamn mouth and stop trying to jam in awful jokes between comics.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

freud mayweather posted:

This is very smart advice. Best of luck on your journey of disappointing townies.

I am wellll on my way!

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I'm surprised any of you get laughs when none of you know what a joke is.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

a dingus posted:

hugs arent jokes u rapist!!!!!!!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

a dingus posted:

This is a weird hill to die on. Are you a comic who frequently hugs female comics onstage?

First off, the idea that you can say or do whatever you want because "it's just a joke" is laughable. It does not matter. I don't care if it got the biggest laugh of the night, it doesn't make that type of joke acceptable. Not all jokes are created equal. I can make fart noises into a mic and get a laugh, but I wouldn't, because I respect myself. I've seen a comic kill just doing straight up racist impressions. If I have my say, I will never share a stage with him again. If you feel differently, that's fine. But it says a lot about you.

Secondly, in the comedy community, as with the rest of society, women are constantly dealing with a predominantly male group and fighting to be treated with respect and as an equal. Some dude making a joke about a woman spreading her legs is not ok, even if she made it first. Just like if you called yourself fat, it doesn't make it OK for me to start calling you fat. He did not treat her as an equal. I guarantee you that he didn't hug any male comics.

Finally, and most importantly from a pure comedy standpoint, (but not more important than the second point on a scale of basic human dignity) that man failed at his job on so many levels. His job is to move the show along and moving smoothly. Just by virtue of her post, we can see he poo poo that up. His job is to promote the show. Greek Tragedy was the headliner. That means the show was about her. They came to see her. Trying to piggyback off her joke when the show is over is making it about him. That's him failing at his job. And hugging a comic is telling your audience this is just some casual thing you do, not a production with real professionals. It's low grade and shows a lack of respect for the venue, the comics and the show. It's about being a god dammed professional.

I hope you are just new to comedy or a casual observer, but even if you are OK with women being diminished for your own amusement, which you really shouldn't be, there is plenty to find wrong with this from the perspective of a comic who respects their craft.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Greek Tragedy posted:

Also, because I got caught up on my soapbox, congrats on what sounds like a great show. I'm just getting my first feature work in a couple of weeks. I can't wait. I also need to start honing my set, because the last few minutes are not up to the standard that I demand from myself. I really don't want to do two extra minutes of crowd work. :v:

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

That sounds like a recipe for getting snatched and murdered

Sataere posted:

Also, because I got caught up on my soapbox, congrats on what sounds like a great show. I'm just getting my first feature work in a couple of weeks. I can't wait. I also need to start honing my set, because the last few minutes are not up to the standard that I demand from myself. I really don't want to do two extra minutes of crowd work. :v:

Thanks! Also thanks for all the backup (I've been insanely busy and just came back to this thread tonight). Awesome about feature work! I think we should all celebrate all the milestones, it's a tough business. So you can take this or leave it but it was given to me by Auggie Smith who is definitely in the top 5 comics I've ever worked with (I can't remember who he said gave it to him, but here you go). Once you get a really great 5 minutes or a great closer or whatever, move that up and make it your opener, so you have to beef up (or write) more material to get to the end. You can totally put that back as your closer of course whenever you want, but I tried this when i was first going for longer sets and it definitely helped me get my entire set more consistent. I ended up putting my closer back at the end but the rest of my set is better for it, I feel.

Break a leg!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Greek Tragedy posted:

Thanks! Also thanks for all the backup (I've been insanely busy and just came back to this thread tonight). Awesome about feature work! I think we should all celebrate all the milestones, it's a tough business. So you can take this or leave it but it was given to me by Auggie Smith who is definitely in the top 5 comics I've ever worked with (I can't remember who he said gave it to him, but here you go). Once you get a really great 5 minutes or a great closer or whatever, move that up and make it your opener, so you have to beef up (or write) more material to get to the end. You can totally put that back as your closer of course whenever you want, but I tried this when i was first going for longer sets and it definitely helped me get my entire set more consistent. I ended up putting my closer back at the end but the rest of my set is better for it, I feel.

Break a leg!

Yeah, I've had a solid five for a while. The only reason I don't get more work is because I haven't actively worked towards getting booked. I'm more focused on building a set list. I spent much of the last year working and tightening the same three five minute sets.

I just recorded a six minute set I did at Zanies and haven't had a chance to review/edit it. If it's good enough, I will end up forwarding it to all the bookers in the area, but I haven't found a clip I like in two and a half years, so no reason I should start liking one now. :v:

That clip will probably be good though. I'm in the middle of working my way through that clubs audition process and I was already asked back for a third time. The first one I was at, one of the guys was featuring for Gilbert Gottfried a month after his set.

Sataere fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 5, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I did my first feature. I didn't realize I was featuring for Timmy Williams, which was cool. I wish I were more familiar with him, because he was very funny. The dude brought a crowd during a tornado warning an hour and a half outside of Chicago.

I'm trying to come to grips with my set. I know I killed it. The laughter, audience and comic responses after my set told me I did. I also think I was mediocre by my own standards and it's loving with me hard. Anyone else deal with that?

EDIT: Also, I was worried about how much material I had and filling 20 minutes and I accidentally went a minute over with a lot of material to spare. I didn't realize how much I had. :v:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Sataere posted:

I also think I was mediocre by my own standards and it's loving with me hard. Anyone else deal with that?

I experience this with every aspect of my life, so yes.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

N. Senada posted:

I experience this with every aspect of my life, so yes.

Welcome to comedy. :v:

I'm over it now. I'm just taking the win and I'll fix what needs fixing. It was just a weird feeling. And I was just told I have a credit for my comedy resume, which I hadn't realized, so feeling good.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I used to do open mics before my new life. I now write down jokes that I think might be funny. If anyone has inordinate free time and wants to workshop with a guy living on an island, you should totally pm me.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First
So I've decided the scene where I am is pretty cool. Its growing super fast.

Start of this month we hosted Al Del Bene and it was a killer show.
A few of our regular Cairns comedians got to open for him and actually get paid for it.

It's been tricky for the guys running the shows to get the scene to where it is. Previously the pressure has been on for anyone trying new material.
We've only had 1 room in town to try stuff and it was a paying crowd. (To cover expenses not to pay comedians unfortunately we're not QUITE big enough to make that happen every gig but we are getting close.)

Thankfully one of the Comedians found someone who doesn't want to charge to use a room and its pretty central in a club under the city's casino. So we should be able to draw in some random punters.

If anyone finds themselves in Cairns, Australia, holidaying or whatever hit us up for a slot.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Sataere posted:

I'm trying to come to grips with my set. I know I killed it. The laughter, audience and comic responses after my set told me I did. I also think I was mediocre by my own standards and it's loving with me hard. Anyone else deal with that?

Middling is the cushiest spot in comedy so I find there's a weird middle guilt, like I don't feel like I deserved the reaction. Because a lot of times when I started middling I didn't deserve all those laughs.

N. Senada posted:

I used to do open mics before my new life. I now write down jokes that I think might be funny. If anyone has inordinate free time and wants to workshop with a guy living on an island, you should totally pm me.

Just PM me all these jokes you're not using so I can use them.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

freud mayweather posted:

Middling is the cushiest spot in comedy so I find there's a weird middle guilt, like I don't feel like I deserved the reaction. Because a lot of times when I started middling I didn't deserve all those laughs.

It was definitely a new feeling. I listened to the recording last night and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. My crowd work was on point. It may have honestly been too on point, because I think it encouraged mies people to try talking to me.

One of the weirdest things about comedy to me is that because I try to sound conversational, it encourages people to try having a conversation with me. I need to get better at shutting that stuff down.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm a 33 year old that is on an improv house team and I've just started doing stand up using about 7 years worth of written material. I am finding it very difficult to overcome my age in my head, even though I've seen nothing short of good feedback so far.

Is anyone else in this shituation? I was not a motivated young man and now I'm like gently caress, you are a moron.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

JBP posted:

I'm a 33 year old that is on an improv house team and I've just started doing stand up using about 7 years worth of written material. I am finding it very difficult to overcome my age in my head, even though I've seen nothing short of good feedback so far.

Is anyone else in this shituation? I was not a motivated young man and now I'm like gently caress, you are a moron.

I'm 39, so yeah, I totally relate. On the one hand, I get told my point of view is probably better because I have life experience and perspective. On the other hand, I would have gotten it anyway and could still have ten years worth of experience if I wasn't a dumb rear end waiting for a perfect moment that never was going to come.

I would not stress it too much. The one thing I think I have become very aware of the last couple of years is that you need to look forward and stay positive. I just have to trust that my age won't completely screw me over long term and frankly, I do better with younger crowds anyway, which makes no sense because I find their hipster ways odd.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sataere posted:

I'm 39, so yeah, I totally relate. On the one hand, I get told my point of view is probably better because I have life experience and perspective. On the other hand, I would have gotten it anyway and could still have ten years worth of experience if I wasn't a dumb rear end waiting for a perfect moment that never was going to come.

I would not stress it too much. The one thing I think I have become very aware of the last couple of years is that you need to look forward and stay positive. I just have to trust that my age won't completely screw me over long term and frankly, I do better with younger crowds anyway, which makes no sense because I find their hipster ways odd.

Yeah the settled in 30+ successful life haver crowd receive me warmly, but kids loving love it (if I nail the show obviously). I've done shows and had 30+ audience members tell me they're jealous which I suppose speaks to us all feeling a bit that way. It happens a lot more often with the downtrodden suburbanites than it does in the city though.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

JBP posted:

Yeah the settled in 30+ successful life haver crowd receive me warmly, but kids loving love it (if I nail the show obviously). I've done shows and had 30+ audience members tell me they're jealous which I suppose speaks to us all feeling a bit that way. It happens a lot more often with the downtrodden suburbanites than it does in the city though.

It's perspective. What city are you in?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Local drama: dude everyone hates in the scene showed up as a Proudboy to harass antifa.

Surprisingly a ton of local comics have no idea what proudboys are and weren't sure what to be upset about at first.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I had to look up what they were, gross!

The worst my scene gets is drunk people who won't shut up in the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Optimist with doubt posted:

I had to look up what they were, gross!

The worst my scene gets is drunk people who won't shut up in the crowd.

That must be nice. I feel like every six months, we hear stories of someone doing something horrible. Horrible even by comics abysmal standards.