Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol forever at people that use "casual ableism" unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
those people have less worth because they are less abled

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
look at this campaign of casual ableism that has been perpetrated since the 70s

Some sources suggest that the original name for the alliance, "Cribs", was a name narrowed down from a list of many options, and chosen unanimously from three final choices, which included the Black Overlords, and the Assassins. Cribs was chosen to reflect the young age of the majority of the gang members. The name "Cribs" evolved into the name "Crips" when gang members began carrying around canes to display their "pimp" status. People in the neighborhood then began calling them cripples, or "Crips" for short.[15] A Los Angeles Sentinel article in February 1972 referred to some members as "Crips" (for cripples).[1] Another source suggests "Crips" may have evolved from "Cripplers", a 1970s street gang in Watts of which Raymond Washington was a member.[16]

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

prefect posted:

why is it that you can get your palm read or your fortune told with tarot cards, but there are no phrenologists around? i think that would be fun :mad:

don't worry, phrenology is making a comeback on reddit and other "rationalist" spaces

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why? casual racism and sexism are things too. just because you don't see a problem with calling people autistic as an insult doesn't mean it's a dumb concept.

(i don't think dumb/stupid/idiot/etc are ableist)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

why? casual racism and sexism are things too. just because you don't see a problem with calling people autistic as an insult doesn't mean it's a dumb concept.

well they are according to the author of that card so how does it feel to be a casual ableist?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CommunistPancake posted:

discriminating or having prejudice against a handicapped person is not the same thing as playing oh holier than thou about calling someone a retard or a cripple

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The edit history of this page is what you'd expect.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Carbon dioxide posted:

The edit history of this page is what you'd expect.

i thought this was the thread for worthless wikipedia things

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raminasi posted:

i thought this was the thread for worthless wikipedia things

it's worthless because they deleted it

although the once and forever champion of this sort of thing is

https://twitter.com/alanferrier/status/808764211648200706

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

haveblue posted:

:eyepop:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

haveblue posted:

Is that my right or your right?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

haveblue posted:

See also the edit history after that. I'm the uncertainty about the penguin's appreciation of that music.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

darthbob88 posted:

See also the edit history after that. I'm the uncertainty about the penguin's appreciation of that music.

what am I supposed to be looking at here

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
who is proud to have removed subtle humor

that is a bad and unfunny individual

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wikipediphiles have zero sense of fun

if they had any capacity for joy or humor they would have left in the [cetacean needed] tags on the list of whales and the little helicopter icons on the Helicopter Prison Escapes page

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the most humorless of editors follow this and other threads about funny wiki poo poo and make it lovely. hi I see you I know you're reading this

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

discriminating or having prejudice against a handicapped person is not the same thing as playing oh holier than thou about calling someone a retard or a cripple

what does this mean

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

if they had any capacity for joy or humor they would have left in the [cetacean needed] tags on the list of whales and the little helicopter icons on the Helicopter Prison Escapes page

can sort of see why, as it is hard to draw the line on that stuff. they should realize the rare gold nugget of humor does just humanize an effort that should look very human

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just imagine if every page had examples of nerd so-called humor

the puns alone would be the end of the effort

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sagebrush posted:

or the "in poplar culture" section on that tree fungus page

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

more like engaged in casual copperplate

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Agile Vector posted:

more like engaged in casual copperplate

haha

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

raminasi posted:

or the "in poplar culture" section on that tree fungus page

i like to think that fyad was responsible for the mass removal of the "in popular culture" sections after their wikipedia vandalism war

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
like this one

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i like to think that fyad was responsible for the mass removal of the "in popular culture" sections after their wikipedia vandalism war
that wasn't a popular culture section

read it again

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
oh lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if I'd just stayed at it i could have been a professional ableist but i got lazy so im still just a casual one

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
this practice of leaving the silent e in what should be "ablist" triggers me to no end

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
ab-leist

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sham bam bamina! posted:

this practice of leaving the silent e in what should be "ablist" triggers me to no end

the ab list is what i would call name my gym if i owned one for some reason

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's necessary to differentiate the pronunciation from "ab list".

the other way to write it i suppose would be "abelist", transposing the letters like fire/fiery

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

the other way to write it i suppose would be "abelist", transposing the letters like fire/fiery

but then who are the cainists going to be mad at?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sagebrush posted:

no it isn't, any more than when any other root with a silent e gets a suffix

if i buy a drink for an alcoholic, am i enabling him or "enableing" him?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the past-tense of 'highlight' should be 'highlit'

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
One of the characters who holds the rare distinction of defeating Bugs is Cecil Turtle, following the pattern Aesop's famous fable The Tortoise and the Hare, where the rabbit was the antagonist, while the turtle was the protagonist (Bugs and Cecil, respectively)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Noun
黒 (shinjitai kanji, kyūjitai kanji 黑, hiragana くろ, rōmaji kuro)

1. black
2. (Magic: The Gathering) black

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
not worthless

Once during a rehearsal, a member of the band threw a spitball. Already in a foul mood, Calloway decided to blame this on Gillespie. In order to clear his name, Gillespie didn’t take the blame and the problem quickly escalated into a fist fight, then a knife fight. Calloway had minor cuts on the thigh and wrist. After the two men were separated, Calloway fired Gillespie.

also

Gillespie avoided serving in World War II. In his Selective Service interview, he told the local board, "in this stage of my life here in the United States whose foot has been in my rear end?" He was thereafter classed as 4-F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Zion curtains are partitions unique to Utah restaurants that separate restaurant bartenders preparing alcoholic drinks from the customers who order them.[10] The partitions are only mandated for restaurants with "Limited-Service Restaurant Licenses" and "Full-Service Restaurant Licenses".[10][11] These partitions are often made of frosted glass since they are required to be "solid, translucent, [and] permanent".[10] They were mandated in hopes of combating excessive drinking by keeping alcohol out of sight of restaurant patrons who choose not to consume alcohol. [12] As of the Spring 2017 legislative session the Zion Curtain laws are being revoked and the requirement is being withdrawn from restaurants and pubs. https://www.ksl.com/?sid=43343928&nid=148