Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My bank (USAA) offered me a secured card that involved me giving them 250 dollars and them putting it in a CD. Then I had a card with at 250 dollar limit that I paid every month, and in two years they converted it to a "real" Amex and gave me 251 dollars.

But yeah, dispute that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

THF13 posted:

Freeannualcreditreport.com is the official government sanctioned site where you can get your reports from all three bureaus once a year.

No that's a weird amalgamation of the names of the real one (https://www.annualcreditreport.com/) and the one that plays on TV ads that isn't recommended (freecreditreport.com).

Skoll posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I live pretty frugally so a "low credit limit" won't bother me since I try not to do anything outside my means.

What would be the best secured card to get in this case, with the lowest fees, etc? I'm in the middle of a move right now but once I finish that I'll track down what I supposedly owe money on. The only thing I could even think of is a hospital bill but I was under the impression those don't show up on credit reports.

Collections definitely show up on credit reports, but it's entirely possible you've been a victim of identity theft.

Go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com/ (THIS IS THE PROPER SITE. :proof:) and get your credit report from at least one bureau. Chase's credit journey pulls from TransUnion so that's a good bureau to choose first. You can get one free report per bureau per year via this site, so perhaps it would make sense to only pull TransUnion to start off with.

It takes time for this stuff to play out, so get the clock starting to run as soon as you have an address that'll stay constant for a while. Do note that identity verification might be a little more annoying after you move since they will have to make sure you're not an identity thief trying to open/modify/manage accounts with a different address. :)

astral fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 19, 2017

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

astral posted:

No that's a weird amalgamation of the names of the real one (https://www.annualcreditreport.com/) and the one that plays on TV ads that isn't recommended (freecreditreport.com).

Collections definitely show up on credit reports, but it's entirely possible you've been a victim of identity theft.

Go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com/ (THIS IS THE PROPER SITE. :proof:) and get your credit report from at least one bureau. Chase's credit journey pulls from TransUnion so that's a good bureau to choose first. You can get one free report per bureau per year via this site, so perhaps it would make sense to only pull TransUnion to start off with.

It takes time for this stuff to play out, so get the clock starting to run as soon as you have an address that'll stay constant for a while. Do note that identity verification might be a little more annoying after you move since they will have to make sure you're not an identity thief trying to open/modify/manage accounts with a different address. :)

This is all correct, I am in fact a dumbass.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Skoll posted:

I have absolutely no idea from what then. I've never had a credit card or anything before and I mainly deal in cash for almost everything. I never buy something unless I can pay for it outright, etc etc.

Like folks have said, step 1 is to get your real (free) credit reports from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/, step 2 is to dispute the debt. Step 3 is to wait for the debt to be wiped from your record. Step 4 is to apply for a credit card.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Credit unions are great to work with as well.

Setup a savings account with a credit union and put 500 dollars in it. Use the 500 dollars to secure a 500 dollar personal loan. Deposit the 500 dollars you borrowed into your savings account. Use that 500 dollars to setup a secured credit card with a 500 dollar limit. 2 positive trade lines on your report. After a year or so the card should convert to unsecured. The credit unions are less likely to charge fees on their secured products as well.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just got an email:

quote:

Dear valued customer,

We're writing to inform you that the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card currently in your Amazon Wallet is now earning 3% Back at Amazon.com. This Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card will continue to earn 2% Back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores, as well as 1% Back on all other purchases.

So you don't need Prime for the 3% cash back, apparently

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

EugeneJ posted:

Just got an email:

So you don't need Prime for the 3% cash back, apparently

I thought you got 5% with Prime, 3% is what I used to have when I first got the card.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Michael Corleone posted:

I thought you got 5% with Prime, 3% is what I used to have when I first got the card.

Ohhhhhhhhh my Prime subscription just ended - so it was just telling me that it was going from 5% down to 3% then

My mistake

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I have heard that if you add your Amazon Rewards Visa to someone else's (someone you trust obviously) Amazon Prime account you will get 5% even when you make purchases through your own Amazon non-Prime account.

Not 100% sure about this and Amazon might fix at some point without notice though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

THF13 posted:

I have heard that if you add your Amazon Rewards Visa to someone else's (someone you trust obviously) Amazon Prime account you will get 5% even when you make purchases through your own Amazon non-Prime account.

Not 100% sure about this and Amazon might fix at some point without notice though.

Prime Household or whatever it's called also works if you happen to live with someone who has Prime.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Question: What reason could there be for my FICO score to be significantly different than the TransUnion / Equifax scores on sites like creditkarma? I'm about ~100 points higher on creditkarma.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Thoogsby posted:

Question: What reason could there be for my FICO score to be significantly different than the TransUnion / Equifax scores on sites like creditkarma? I'm about ~100 points higher on creditkarma.

Credit Karma uses a different scoring algorithm. Fun fact: there are literally dozens of ways to turn your credit report into a number.

The one they use, VantageScore 3, will show significant differences from FICO on thin files and recently established credit (Vantage is more forgiving to people who have a short but good history) and paid-off collections (once something is marked paid in full, it has minimal impact under Vantage; FICO still cares a lot that it went to collections at all).

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Just got a 70,000 bonus points for $4,000 of spending in the first 3 months offer from Chase Sapphire Preferred. $0 fee for first year, $95 after that. Good deal? I've got business travel coming up that I get reimbursed for, should be $1500-2000 I can put on a personal card.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Just got a 70,000 bonus points for $4,000 of spending in the first 3 months offer from Chase Sapphire Preferred. $0 fee for first year, $95 after that. Good deal? I've got business travel coming up that I get reimbursed for, should be $1500-2000 I can put on a personal card.

That's the best deal for that card, yes.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Most people don't have access to their real FICO, the number that every other bank is offering up to you for free as your "FICO" on their website is actually a bullshit inflated number that is (often) substantially higher than your actual FICO. They offer this to obfuscate the process a bit more and make it less likely you'll dispute anything in your credit report because it's incredibly costly to the bureaus when you do so.

And how on earth this isn't all loving illegal is beyond me, it almost certainly will be one day

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

Most people don't have access to their real FICO, the number that every other bank is offering up to you for free as your "FICO" on their website is actually a bullshit inflated number that is (often) substantially higher than your actual FICO. They offer this to obfuscate the process a bit more and make it less likely you'll dispute anything in your credit report because it's incredibly costly to the bureaus when you do so.

And how on earth this isn't all loving illegal is beyond me, it almost certainly will be one day

There are several different FICO scoring models (and FICO Bankcard scoring models), and it helps to know which banks are offering which models. Here's a nice list I found: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/comparison-free-fico-scores-banks-cus/

e: And just about all the FICO models' scores are more useful than Vantage scores that are offered by a ton of places.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have not found this to be true at all. The free FICO scores offered by Amex, Barclays, Capital One, and Chase have all been extremely close to the score pulled for credit card applications.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Yes that's extremely good

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I got my Citi AA card offer that didn't have the two year language and I'm currently running through that. I'm looking at making about a $4K purchase online next week. I would've done the SPG business 35K point offer (because Amex is so generous with what qualifies as a business) but that ended on the 5th of April. Are there any other good sign-ups? I'm far past the 5/24. I've recently wrapped up the BoA Merrill card and HIlton Signature.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Where is this offer available?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Pissingintowind posted:

Where is this offer available?

I got it in an email because I have other cards with Chase

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
I checked the OP and the last few pages, is there anything that's good in Australia? Doesn't seem to have been mentioned. I used to use the ING 2% paywave but they stopped doing that, unfortunately.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Whats a good no APR/Interest CC to consolidate with? My gf has debt on like 3 store brand CC's and she isn't sure how to handle it. It seems like this thread has advised people in the past to consolidate onto a card yea?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Chase Slate will give you 0% (for 15 months), no-fee balance transfers for the first 60 days, it's the go-to if you can get approved.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

asur posted:

I have not found this to be true at all. The free FICO scores offered by Amex, Barclays, Capital One, and Chase have all been extremely close to the score pulled for credit card applications.
Amex and Chase at least both offer a real FICO score. But of course there's like 8 different FICO scores so maybe it doesn't mean all that much but I'm pretty sure they show you whatever score it is they use for decisions. Amex is even show you your Experian score which is typically the specific bureau they pull for reports.

And other banks use non-FICO numbers because it's cheaper, not from sort of weird conspiracy. A credit score is just an opinion, there really is no such thing as an official one. FICO is the most popular, but it is not the only one used. Cheaper versions and in-house scores have been making inroads against Fair Isaac for years.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

*edit silly derail

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My wife got the CSP and I'm and AU on hers (way over 5/24 to get my own). We have about 150k URs. We're looking to possibly transfer them to united, but didn't know if they had to be transferred to her united account or if they could go to mine as well/instead. Can the AU transfer out URs?

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Yes

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does a service fee of 2% charged by a processor to pay my mortgage count towards minimum spend, or just the actual amount?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

baquerd posted:

Does a service fee of 2% charged by a processor to pay my mortgage count towards minimum spend, or just the actual amount?

Like plastiq?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No Butt Stuff posted:

Like plastiq?

Yeah, or in this case it's a servicer option. I know I should probably figure out how to properly churn instead, but this is much easier.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 8, 2017

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It counts as spend because it is.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Hmm churning my house LOC could drive a lot of volume. Not sure I can overcome fees or credit card limit problems to make it worth it.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Got a targeted offer for the BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa. $150 cash back after spending $500 in the first 90 days. Just applied and got approved for $7000 line.

I'll probably just use it until I hit $500 but the 3% back on gas is pretty nice, so it may be my new gas card.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

Hmm churning my house LOC could drive a lot of volume. Not sure I can overcome fees or credit card limit problems to make it worth it.

This kind of thing, along with paying taxes on a CC for points and (sometimes) vehicles, is almost never worth it. Even if you pay it off immediately like you should the extra up front fees that companies tack on to those kind of high dollar transactions almost always exceed whatever reward points you get out of it. May be exceptions to this if so love to hear about it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ixian posted:

This kind of thing, along with paying taxes on a CC for points and (sometimes) vehicles, is almost never worth it. Even if you pay it off immediately like you should the extra up front fees that companies tack on to those kind of high dollar transactions almost always exceed whatever reward points you get out of it. May be exceptions to this if so love to hear about it.

I have the Chase Reserve and pay my rent with it using Plastiq because it registers as a lodging payment and gets me 3x points. Even with the fee, I still come out ahead with Chase Ultimate Rewards, especially since I have a NYC rent. Admittedly, this is a very specific case.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

Paid my taxes, I get 2.64% cash back and paid 1.something to pay my taxes with the CC. Then I pay my CC off in full each month.

But yes, I agree, very rarely does this really make sense.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

FunOne posted:

Paid my taxes, I get 2.64% cash back and paid 1.something to pay my taxes with the CC. Then I pay my CC off in full each month.

But yes, I agree, very rarely does this really make sense.

IRS fees are 2% or close enough (they contract with several processors).

There may be certain point combinations/redemption's that make that worth it but not many. Chase occasionally offers screaming deals on hotels that you book with Sapphire points, for example, that you can only get with points.

Usually though I stick with businesses that cover the fees for me, like most shopping sites, etc.

BTW re: Chase - Sapphire/Reserve points are generally rated at 2.1 cents/point by the major points sites - that's best case. Usually but not always hotels and rental cars. Occasionally direct book airline tickets (with Chase) have screaming deals whilst point transfers to the airlines themselves usually suck. The worst are shopping with points, like for Amazon, where Chase only pays out .8/point per actual point - so for a 100 point purchase you actually spend 125. Don't do that - there are better cards for redeeming rewards for shopping.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Is that 2.1c per point including the 50% redemption bonus for CSR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

ohgodwhat posted:

Is that 2.1c per point including the 50% redemption bonus for CSR?

Yes. It is the max, "ideal" rate you will get, at least according to sites like ThePointsGuy, etc.

I've gotten the best redemption from hotels. However you have to dog the process - some hotels on the reward site jack up rates vs. other places, and others refuse to grant their own loyalty points, etc. Often this happens even inside major chains on a property-by-property basis.

Example: Stayed at a Marriott in Sydney last year, good rate, but no Marriott points (it wasn't one of those "unaffiliated" hotels either, you could get Marriott points if you booked through them). Stayed at one in Copenhagen this year, good rate, and I got points. So go figure.

Basically, do your research and you can make out quite well with Sapphire points.