Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Godzilla07 posted:

Overall I found W3's combat to be satisfactory, yet I still found myself at this point when I played B&W. The new enemies just felt annoying rather than a new, interesting challenge.

I enjoyed fighting as the Non-Geralt Character so much more and would love a whole game like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Guys, I'm sorry for buying critically acclaimed games that people barely detail the flaws of and not enjoying them when those flaws turn out to be huge and make said game not worth a gently caress if you have a low tolerance for obviously poor game design bullshit.

I'll make sure to know exactly what a game is like before I consider buying it in future.

Holy poo poo guys, think about how your average jemoke would react to even watching a video of someone playing the likes of Automata or Last Guardian.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

Guys, I'm sorry for buying critically acclaimed games that people barely detail the flaws of and not enjoying them when those flaws turn out to be huge and make said game not worth a gently caress if you have a low tolerance for obviously poor game design bullshit.

I'll make sure to know exactly what a game is like before I consider buying it in future.

Holy poo poo guys, think about how your average jemoke would react to even watching a video of someone playing the likes of Automata or Last Guardian.

You're entitled to your subjective experience, it's not obviously poor game design, and I'm glad this has been a teachable moment :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

Stop posting

no u

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

spudsbuckley posted:

critically acclaimed games that people barely detail the flaws

Flaws are subjective. When it came to playthrough 2 you said "hacking poo poo blows and I have to play as annoying anime boy." That's a subjective opinion. (A wrong one at that.) Hacking owned and 9S was a great character with a great arch.

It feels less like "How dare people not point out the flaws" and more like "I'm a huge baby that turns away from a game the second it doesn't line up with my vague expectations"

spudsbuckley posted:

obviously poor game design bullshit

This is objectively wrong. Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean it's bad, it means you don't get it. Accept that the flaws are with you, not the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

spudsbuckley posted:

buy yakuza next, this is fun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

He already said he enjoyed Yakuza 0. Maybe they might actually enjoy Persona, now that I think about it, since Yakuza 0 starts slow

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

buy yakuza next, this is fun

Put 50 odd hours into Yakuza 0. Have Kiwami pre-ordered.

Great game. Plays really well. No constant struggle with any of the basic mechanics of the game and it stays entertaining past the initial few hours.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

spudsbuckley posted:

Plays really well. No constant struggle with any of the basic mechanics of the game and it stays entertaining past the initial few hours.

I definitely disagree with this statement, much as I liked Yakuza.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

spudsbuckley posted:

Great game. Plays really well. No constant struggle with any of the basic mechanics of the game and it stays entertaining past the initial few hours.

Great. You should play NieR Automata because the same is true about that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oh sorry i also forget: do you hate horizon yet?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

People are just going to bounce off games that other people like, and that's fair. As long you don't try to use 19th-century models of anthropology and racially-charged rationales to defend your point of view I say live and let live

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Suddenly reminded of my ex-housemate who wouldn't​ play Diablo 3 because he got mad that they didn't actually use the weapon they had in their hand to hit stuff.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mordiceius posted:

Great. You should play NieR Automata because the same is true about that.

Nah, dishwater dull past the first few hours due to a pointless big ole empty map and lovely sidequests.

The second playthrough having a reskin of the twin stick shooting as a "new" mechanic along with the second most annoying character as the protagonist seals the who-gives-a-poo poo deal.

I'm sure it subverts conventions or whatever but that doesn't stop it from being real tedious and loving boring.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

This thread will aggressively rave about stuff, call it best game of all time everyone should play, and recommend things to people even if it's not a good fit, then then insult people when they buy it and don't like it.

I like Neir, a lot actually, but it has like zero appeal to like 80% of people who play games. That won't stop people from telling you to buy it and then calling you dumb when you don't like it. For the record here's some anecdotal statistics. I have about 300 people on my friends list. 30 of them play Neir. Every. Single. One. is an active poster in this thread. It's mostly an echo chamber of like minded individuals.

That said arguing on the internet is fun as poo poo I don't know why people get so down on it. This thread is the best when everyone is yelling at each other.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone still posting on a dying internet forum that makes you pay to post and is heavily moderated is already skewing towards the niche anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Obviously there are games that are for enthusiasts and niche audiences. Those enthusiasts are the ones who would spend their time posting on an internet forum on a weekend, of course enthusiast spaces will be echo chambery and play games that most people will bounce off, because most people play Madden + CoD and maybe whatever Ubi game gets the huge marketing push. And I say that as someone who likes sports games and shooters too

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

FishBulb posted:

This thread is perfectly fine compared to any of the Vita threads

Or the Switch thread, haha, holy poo poo what a trash fire.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

spudsbuckley posted:

I actually agree with you about both Nier and TLG, although I didn't let the 2nd playthrough of Nier stop me from enjoying the story and game.

The AI in TLG is dumb and I've mentioned my story enough that I don't think I need to do it again, but people defending the game saying you are a kid and the animal not following orders because lol animals can be fickle assholes is hilarious. Sorry I don't have the patience for a video game animal not following directions to the point where I don't figure out a solution because the thing I was originally trying was correct.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's fine. But this is PS4 thread in a nutshell.

"What should I buy!?

Bloodborne

But I can't stand souls games

Doesn't matter get Bloodborne. Bloodborne is god tier it will change your mind.

I got Bloodborne. I hate it

Get good scrub. Sorry your opinions suck. Why did you buy a game you knew you wouldn't like?"

I'm not claiming I'm not guilty of this myself. Also Bloodborne is the best game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol back to bb already? call me next anime

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bloodborne anime adaption when

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

People are just going to bounce off games that other people like, and that's fair. As long you don't try to use 19th-century models of anthropology and racially-charged rationales to defend your point of view I say live and let live

Lol

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Protip: "tits and rear end cartoons" do not make up the whole of Japanese culture, so don't throw out outdated Clash-of-Civilizations dichotomies like "Western" and "the Japanese X"

This place is starting to look like d&d :yikes:

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 29, 2017

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

This thread will aggressively rave about stuff, call it best game of all time everyone should play, and recommend things to people even if it's not a good fit, then then insult people when they buy it and don't like it.

I like Neir, a lot actually, but it has like zero appeal to like 80% of people who play games. That won't stop people from telling you to buy it and then calling you dumb when you don't like it. For the record here's some anecdotal statistics. I have about 300 people on my friends list. 30 of them play Neir. Every. Single. One. is an active poster in this thread. It's mostly an echo chamber of like minded individuals.

That said arguing on the internet is fun as poo poo I don't know why people get so down on it. This thread is the best when everyone is yelling at each other.

The sad thing is that I actually really like the core combat in Automata despite not being even vaguely a fan of Platinum but I just can't get past the utterly poo poo regressive design, glaring repetition, mediocre trite story and awful voice acting.

It is a game that I want to enjoy but it is just so flawed that I can't be arsed with it.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Sometimes I wonder do we even deserve Knack 2?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

The sad thing is that I actually really like the core combat in Automata despite not being even vaguely a fan of Platinum but I just can't get past the utterly poo poo regressive design, glaring repetition, mediocre trite story and awful voice acting.

It is a game that I want to enjoy but it is just so flawed that I can't be arsed with it.

You didn't finish the story. Your experiences on everything else are legitimate but you did not even get through half of the story

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You didn't finish the story.

Barely started it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

I feel you, but I'm really happy I stuck with it. It really picks up at the beginning of route C. I never hated it enough to stop playing but I was pretty down on it for A and B. It never stops being cheesy or having really weird design choices (some good. Some bad) but it gets crazy enough I just stopped caring and started having a blast with it.

I can be tedious at times and the map sucks though.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

katkillad2 posted:

I actually agree with you about both Nier and TLG, although I didn't let the 2nd playthrough of Nier stop me from enjoying the story and game.

The AI in TLG is dumb and I've mentioned my story enough that I don't think I need to do it again, but people defending the game saying you are a kid and the animal not following orders because lol animals can be fickle assholes is hilarious. Sorry I don't have the patience for a video game animal not following directions to the point where I don't figure out a solution because the thing I was originally trying was correct.

Yeah, I think of this kind of thing as the "it's supposed to be poo poo because ........" defense.

I play games to relax and be entertained. I don't force myself to play sort of crap stuff because life is too loving short.

Whenever I read about someone complaining about grinding for whatever in a game being sooooooo boring I just think "holy poo poo dude, just loving quit and go do something else enjoyable. Go for a walk, watch a movie, visit your loved ones or play something else. Don't keep doing the bad boring thing that you know is bad and boring"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

my one big problem with the map is that fast travel is something you unlock. there's no reason for it to work that way but it does

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ironically, people doing something over and over that they know is bad for them in the long run is one of the themes of Nier: Automata

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Bloodborne is awesome and I love it but I'm really bad at games and I hate it it's too hard but it's a really cool game.e I just wish ir had difficulty settings so you could make it easier but I think it would completely ruin the appeal of the ga.e that's

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

spudsbuckley posted:

Ok I was wrong this thread is good.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I bought Flinthook and really wanted to like it. After Wizorb I've been a sucker for Tribute games and the guy they always get to make their sprites. The game just feels really difficult and the Rogue Legacy mechanic of earning upgrades the more you play is there, but the upgrades don't actually seem to be helping too much. There was this moment with Enter the Gungeon where things finally clicked and I was making it to the Dragun every run and I'm just not finding that moment with Flinthook. Basically the Rogue Legacy bits of Flinthook aren't making me more powerful to the point where I can see progress and the game isn't different enough each run that I'm going to put 100+ hours into it like I did with Gungeon.

Also gently caress the spikes and blades on the ground, they might as well be invisible because I never see them.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

This is basically what I found on the topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/3a7edo/google_music_all_access_on_ps4_work_around_via

I want to use my Google music sub (and free YT red) so I can kick Spotify to the curb but I really like music integration on the PS4. I'll mess with it more later.

I couldn't get the app to detect my PS4 for some reason.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

It's mostly an echo chamber of like minded individuals.

Welcome to Something Awful.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

fridge corn posted:

Bloodborne is awesome and I love it but I'm really bad at games and I hate it it's too hard but it's a really cool game.e I just wish ir had difficulty settings so you could make it easier but I think it would completely ruin the appeal of the ga.e that's

bloodborne does have a difficulty setting: summon or no summon

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

spudsbuckley posted:

despite not being even vaguely a fan of Platinum

Jesus Christ

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The main problem with this thread is people complaining about games instead of enjoying them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Pablo Gigante posted:

The main problem with this thread is people complaining about games instead of enjoying them

Welcome to Games.