Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Does anyone have a picture of a comics page with Mallard Fillmore next to Marmaduke or Blondie or similarly innocuous strips?

The Los Angeles Times stopped carrying Mallard years ago, but back then it was grouped with several other political cartoons (Doonesbury, The Boondocks, Prickly City, Candorville, La Cucaracha) and didn't seem out of place.

I've heard of other papers putting Mallard on an opinion page separate from the main comics.

My local paper does. I'll take a pic if my wife grabs a Sunday edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Roland Jones posted:

No, I get the joke, I was just wondering if it was started here or elsewhere. It seemed like it could be a joke/reference from some outside source or a running gag the thread started, so I wanted to ask, and, if it was the former, get a link to the original.

It's a pretty bog standard comedy pattern, normal normal weird normal.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Why would kids even read the newspaper?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ularg posted:

for the comics mostly

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
But they can just use their smartphones to look up funny pictures online, though. I've just never seen a kid ever look at a paper for almost any reason, even back before smartphones were a thing.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Lurdiak posted:

The fact that it's so easy to find so many cartoons and thinkpieces and lovely tweets calling the Berkeley students who think fascism is bad "THE REAL NAZIS" in complete contradiction to the actual facts is why Trump got elected. Everything can be twisted into "other side bad, my side good" and you can find thousands of 'sources' agreeing with you. Reality has ceased to matter.

It infuriates me to the point I've just stopped engaging with most people when it comes to political opinions. Hank Green made a video recently talking about his frustrations with people choosing "opposite of reality" opinion pieces, much like the comics we love to hate in this thread, over actual experts and journalists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvBRe5IuRBU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

I want my husband to beat up Tinsley for this

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Ularg posted:

A newspaper and Silly Putty will provide a child with up to 15 minutes of entertainment.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cpt.Americant posted:

Not the most original but I like the art

Regardless of originality, it's a downright relief to see actual oppressive regimes depicted in the midst of "why won't those young'uns just let us call them subhuman? :byodood:"

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
When I was younger and saw a newspaper left about in my house and not on a Sunday I'd go to the opinion section to look at mallard filmore even if I didn't get it

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Alhazred posted:

I will never understand why it's so important to keep the newspaper strips "inoffensive":
It's America and everyone's worst fear is angry letters from outraged parents.

Jeg er helt enig, og Zelda er fantastisk.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Ularg posted:

But they can just use their smartphones to look up funny pictures online, though. I've just never seen a kid ever look at a paper for almost any reason, even back before smartphones were a thing.

When I was growing up, one of my favorite moments of the day came when my father got home from work because he'd have the daily paper, from which I was allowed to cut out Calvin and Hobbes once the adults were done reading it. :corsair:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

When I was growing up, one of my favorite moments of the day came when my father got home from work because he'd have the daily paper, from which I was allowed to cut out Calvin and Hobbes once the adults were done reading it. :corsair:

But how did your fragile, childish mind cope with those pages that dared to be political?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

I will never understand why it's so important to keep the newspaper strips "inoffensive":

Translation:
International women's day? Why isn't there an international men's day?

You're right! Why am I holding this stupid sign? Let's make a day for the world's men instead!
But why stop there? Lets's make hospital for the healthy, soup kitchen for the filled and shelters for the millionaires!
Here take my clothes! It looks like you're not freezing!

Don't post loving Zelda. At this point that strip is as bad as Nemi.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lodin posted:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Alhazred posted:

But how did your fragile, childish mind cope with those pages that dared to be political?

Well I grew up to post incessantly on a moribund comedy website's political forum, to the point where they made me a mod of the lunatic-fringe meltdown subforum that emerged from it, so maybe I dunno maybe there were unintended consequences?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Does anyone have a picture of a comics page with Mallard Fillmore next to Marmaduke or Blondie or similarly innocuous strips?

The Los Angeles Times stopped carrying Mallard years ago, but back then it was grouped with several other political cartoons (Doonesbury, The Boondocks, Prickly City, Candorville, La Cucaracha) and didn't seem out of place.

I've heard of other papers putting Mallard on an opinion page separate from the main comics.

Mine does. I'll snap a pic of the Sunday edition tomorrow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Somfin posted:

Marmaduke is too large

He better not be trying to get on that couch! :aaa:

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
I read the newspaper funny pages as a kid. Of course, it was waaay before the internet :corsair: and it was usually on my way to the box scores.

Fortunately, there was no Mallard then. We had more wholesome fare, like Sarge assaulting Beetle, the Wizard of Id's frolicsome torture scenes, and Andy Capp stumbling home drunk.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I hate you so much Branco, you stupid piece of poo poo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

:staredog:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The economy right now is a machine for the rich to take joyrides in when its supposed to deliver goods and services to everyone with the help of regulation s so that it can be fair and efficient. AGC

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The roll cage should say Regulations and the trailer should say Tax Cuts for the Rich

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I like Zelda. She's constantly angry and has lots of sex.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

America can only turn left, an optimistic cartoon

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ularg posted:

A lot of little kids don't have smartphones and they do enjoy reading the comics. Or at least looking at them for a minute. I think it's just a novelty for them. To them they are cartoons that don't move that they hold in their hands.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I like Zelda. She's constantly angry and has lots of sex.

Why isn't she being posted instead of neo nazi web comics?

Johnny Walker posted:

A lot of little kids don't have smartphones and they do enjoy reading the comics. Or at least looking at them for a minute. I think it's just a novelty for them. To them they are cartoons that don't move that they hold in their hands.

My younger brother used to get very upset if you suggested he read the black and white comics if he liked the color ones so much.
Basically kids are stupid.

duz fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 29, 2017

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I have no idea what you guys are talking about with Zelda other than the video game. Can I be filled in, please?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lodin posted:

I would rather read a hundred of those back to back than a single Branco. Keep 'em coming.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Ularg posted:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about with Zelda other than the video game. Can I be filled in, please?

:same:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess it's the artist of that comic above (which I rather like) but I dunno if I have seen her work before today. I guess she writes other comics that are awful or something?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 29, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Starving Wolf posted:

The other day I was doodling over some inventory papers at work, and to my horror discovered only half way through that I am in fact doodling potential political cartoons. I stopped in disgust, but still decided to draw one out today since I have a day off due to medical stuff, and I am a bored, broken man.

I wanted to colour it but I felt gross just making it so I gave up. I hate drawing.

This is good poo poo.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

From the 1902 Georges Melies film, "A Trip to the Moon."

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

This is good poo poo.

:agreed:

Starving Wolf, you should do more of these.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Someone should sit these cartoonists down and explain to them what free speech means

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Someone should sit these cartoonists down and explain to them what free speech means

What's scary is that almost every conservative shithead is sticking up for the free speech of literal Nazis and no one else, and they all started about the same time.

It's like they're a hivemind, taking orders from on high.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

King Possum III posted:

From the 1902 Georges Melies film, "A Trip to the Moon."

and here I was thinking of Smashing Pumpkins

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jay Rust posted:

We already tried with net neutrality

Accepting reality is bad for business in their world

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ularg posted:

I hate you so much Branco, you stupid piece of poo poo.

I'm not sure which is more amazing: that people are trying to turn "anti-fascist" into a pejorative, or that it seems to be loving working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

"Well we're obviously not fascists so these antifa sorts have to just be violent thugs using it as an excuse to..." :words:

• Locked thread