Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Honestly that seems way worse than burrito or regular belcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Network42 posted:

Honestly that seems way worse than burrito or regular belcher.

Its from before when those decks had all the supporting pieces. And it is faster then belcher. Though you used to run 4 belcher and 1 tendrils.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

C-Euro posted:

You probably saw it but SaffronOlive did an article on this deck a couple weeks back. Phone posting so I don't feel like linking it but it should still be up on Goldfish.

Yeah that's the one im talking about.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Yeah, I mean I'm familiar with Spanish inquisition, but I just think the game has really passed the deck by. Burrito gets way more turn 1s in my experience, and it's not like it's any more fragile.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
You know with that shadow of the grave card doomsday may actually be playable. Have a good hand, cast this thing and crack an LED in response you discard your hand, get the mana, get everything back, play Doomsday and make the stack with cards in hand.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

doomsday in legacy is not playable without top

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

doomsday in legacy is not playable without top

Meh, it's not entirely unplayable. Just not in it's current form.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah that's the one im talking about.

Keep me posted on how it goes, I live for silly decks no one plays.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Network42 posted:

Yeah, I mean I'm familiar with Spanish inquisition, but I just think the game has really passed the deck by. Burrito gets way more turn 1s in my experience, and it's not like it's any more fragile.

That's fair. The (only, and very marginal) benefit to si now is the relative resistance to graveyard hate. I still love it to death though.

planedriver
Jun 2, 2013
I'm having trouble deciding on what deck I should build next (tossing up any decks with company and possibly DS). My local meta seems to look like this:
6 affinity
6 tron (G/x and Eldrazi)
6 company (abzan/kiki/bant)
5 merfolk
4 grixis control
3 grixis delver
3 scapeshift/titanshift
3 deaths shadow grixis
3 burn
3 elves
2 UW control
2 jund/abzan
2 lantern control
0 jeskai control
1 of everything else

I was playing Bant Eldrazi (since Dec) but all the midrange/control match ups seem to have disappeared. I borrowed the pieces to Todd Stevens' G/W company last night and it did well but went to time against UW control and merfolk.
I understand it's probably pointless trying to "game" such a diverse meta but maybe there's a deck worth trying I have not considered yet?

Thoughts?

planedriver fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 28, 2017

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

myDad posted:

Emrakul as more than a 1-of? Is this RB Reanimator in Modern?
I play a Grixis list. 4 Emmy/4 Griz. Yes Modern.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

2 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
5 Island
1 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
1 Blood Moon
4 Brainstorm
2 Counterspell
2 Energy Field
2 Enlightened Tutor
4 Force of Will
2 Helm of Obedience
1 Humility
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Keranos, God of Storms
1 Moat
4 Ponder
2 Preordain
3 Rest in Peace
2 Supreme Verdict
4 Swords to Plowshares
Sideboard:

2 Containment Priest
1 Council's Judgment
1 Disenchant
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Flusterstorm
1 From the Ashes
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Kozilek's Return
3 Pyroblast
1 Pyroclasm
1 Spell Pierce

After a representative sample of one match, this pile seems really, really good against eldrazi. My draws were insane and the games I was not on the play were not close. Game 1 might have been a little closer had i been a little more aggressive, but i wasn't sure what he was on so i played it safe and held onto my eye of ugin for one turn, instead of dropping two mimics turn one

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

After a representative sample of one match, this pile seems really, really good against eldrazi. My draws were insane and the games I was not on the play were not close. Game 1 might have been a little closer had i been a little more aggressive, but i wasn't sure what he was on so i played it safe and held onto my eye of ugin for one turn, instead of dropping two mimics turn one

It seems to crush pretty much every fair deck so far. And even storm, though I did have to tweak the board a little. For reference, this is what I'm on right now, and I will be updating this as I make changes if you are interested: https://deckbox.org/sets/1676719

I'm not actually that scared of sneak and show or mono red sneak attack, so I cut the priests entirely and am relying on just keeping the board clear of giant fatties.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You know with that shadow of the grave card doomsday may actually be playable. Have a good hand, cast this thing and crack an LED in response you discard your hand, get the mana, get everything back, play Doomsday and make the stack with cards in hand.
Eh, I'm not quite seeing, its completely dead without LED might as well be on infernal tutor and normal storm at that point. Doomsday itself can also grab cards from the yard for you.

Some people are trying out three wishes as way to cast things off LED.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
3-0'd a modern FNM on my birthday yesterday with almost this exact same list (only have 3 goyfs in paper right now):

I beat burn twice (one opponent stumbled on lands in one game, but all five games I played against red deck were nailbiters where I would have been dead if they had untapped again), and beat Affinity. The affinity pilot wasn't real familiar with the deck, and at one point played an overseer into an engineered explosives -- but I think he figured I was never going to pop it if I couldn't get a 2-for-1, and as long as it was sitting there he couldn't make a cranial plating.

Anyway, I love playing decks like this, and I think this is definitely less janky than the thopter gifts list I had been banging for a while.

Steve -- I appreciate your comment from the previous thread where I'd incorrectly posted this; curious what you think of my list. If you haven't played this in a while then obv we're in a different place because of no probe and traverse.

I just bumped into Elves for the first time since Ahmonket -- Vizier of Poisons / Devoted Druid seems awfully good in that deck. Druid was almost playable there on its own, and now that they have access to a two-card infinite mana combo, they can go bonkers from a much weaker boardstate. I might have to dust that deck off again...

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Had a breakthrough on Loam Depths last night during the gauntlet; the card that I want to have is not Ratchet Bomb/Powder Keg, it's Necroplasm. Tutorable, generally a wrath three turns in a row, grows and recurs as needed. Kills everything in the format, including all opposing tokens and Insectile Aberrations the turn it hits. It can also dodge "being in the 'yard" to satisfy Nether Spirit if I need to.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Doesn't it just get Bolted or whatever? It seems really slow.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

It seems to crush pretty much every fair deck so far. And even storm, though I did have to tweak the board a little. For reference, this is what I'm on right now, and I will be updating this as I make changes if you are interested: https://deckbox.org/sets/1676719

I'm not actually that scared of sneak and show or mono red sneak attack, so I cut the priests entirely and am relying on just keeping the board clear of giant fatties.

What's your cut for Elspeth? A preordain? I'm also going to find room for 1 karakas since it seems free and there's millions of WW spells we want to cast

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Insectile Aberrations the turn it hits

Unless I'm very mistaken, Insectile Abberation has a CMC of 1 per the rules change on flip cards when SOI released.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Unless I'm very mistaken, Insectile Abberation has a CMC of 1 per the rules change on flip cards when SOI released.

you are not, all the flip cards have the CMC of whatever their castable side is

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

What's your cut for Elspeth? A preordain? I'm also going to find room for 1 karakas since it seems free and there's millions of WW spells we want to cast

I really like the preordains. I honestly dont know what to cut. It might be right to cut a fetch though? They are pretty mediocre under blood moon, and I have not really had mana problems with 23 lands, but that could be asking for serious trouble by adding a 4-drop. Ironically it may be correct to cut a land if you dont play the elspeth because the curve is lower.

What I have found is I do tend to want the council's judgment in the main. It may be correct to have 3 swords main and a judgment, and the 4th in the board.

The Karakas is absolutely not free though. Youre cutting a tundra, which reduces your blue sources pretty much. Its wastelandable and doesnt make white under blood moon. If you play karakas, it has to take the place of a spell not a land. It may be arguable to play a third plains over one of the fetches though if youre worried about hitting WW?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Anyway, I love playing decks like this, and I think this is definitely less janky than the thopter gifts list I had been banging for a while.

Steve -- I appreciate your comment from the previous thread where I'd incorrectly posted this; curious what you think of my list. If you haven't played this in a while then obv we're in a different place because of no probe and traverse.

This is the list I was playing a while ago. Obviously losing Probe is a pretty big deal in that deck. I'd probably play like +2 Tarfire and +2 Vapor Snag or something like that. Probably -1 monkeys for +1 Clique. I actually found the deck to be insanely hard to play optimally (I found the game-winning line after losing ALL THE TIME) and favored against a big chunk of the format. It actually was pretty close to RUG Delver in legacy in terms of matchups. Combo was a joke, Jund/k/whatever generic midrange was a pretty bad matchup but still beatable, control was definitely winnable if you played well, and could be very favorable if you built your deck right. Tron was even a pretty good matchup, which was a nice improvement over its equivalent in legacy (Lands) because Stubborn Denial is really, really good against them. The real downside is you don't have the "RUG Delver" draws where you just turn 1 Delver, turn 2 Stifle + Waste + Daze them out of the game because unfortunately WotC hates fun and doesn't allow cool cards like Stifle and Wasteland and Daze in modern.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm not having fun when I'm on the receiving end of Stifle, Wasteland, and Daze, but that's just my opinion.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Paradoxical Mentor brewin'. Eh? Eh?

code:
4 Monastery Mentor
3 Snapcaster Mage

2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Dig Through Time
3 Flusterstorm
4 Force of Will
2 Fragmentize
1 Hurkyl’s Recall
1 Merchant Scroll
4 Paradoxical Outcome
4 Preordain
2 Swords to Plowshares
1 Time Walk

1 Black Lotus
1 Grim Monolith
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
2 Mox Opal
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring
3 Sensei’s Divining Top

4 Flooded Strand
3 Tundra
1 Island
1 Plains
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

The Karakas is absolutely not free though. Youre cutting a tundra, which reduces your blue sources pretty much. Its wastelandable and doesnt make white under blood moon. If you play karakas, it has to take the place of a spell not a land. It may be arguable to play a third plains over one of the fetches though if youre worried about hitting WW?

Maybe you're right. I'm glad you brought up council's judgment because I wanted one main too. Maybe it's right to go down a land for that.

Star Man posted:

I'm not having fun when I'm on the receiving end of Stifle, Wasteland, and Daze, but that's just my opinion.

May I recommend Burn?

Ville Valo posted:

Paradoxical Mentor brewin'. Eh? Eh?

The nice part about this list is it reinforces what a lot of people said before about gush mentor, and that it was a storm deck that didn't require you to make any concessions to play the storm cards.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

May I recommend Burn?

My first Legacy deck was Merfolk in 2009 :v: I loved wrecking people's days with Force of Will, Daze, Stifle, and Cursecatcher like the rest of you.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Maybe you're right. I'm glad you brought up council's judgment because I wanted one main too. Maybe it's right to go down a land for that.

Maybe. If you drop a land though you have to drop a jace or the elspeth I think.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

Maybe. If you drop a land though you have to drop a jace or the elspeth I think.

Yeah, sorry. The complete thought that I had in my head dropped a land and elspeth for the council's judgment

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Yeah, sorry. The complete thought that I had in my head dropped a land and elspeth for the council's judgment

https://deckbox.org/sets/1676719

This is where I settled for testing. Going down to 1 helm in the main, and cutting 1 preordain because one of my friends convinced me that its not strictly necessary, its just a pet card.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What on earth is Kozilek's Return doing in the 75? If you're trying to dodge Hydroblasts, Volcanic Fallout is totally uncounterable.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

What on earth is Kozilek's Return doing in the 75? If you're trying to dodge Hydroblasts, Volcanic Fallout is totally uncounterable.

good in the death and taxes matchup since you may not reliably have sorcery speed red mana

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

good in the death and taxes matchup since you may not reliably have sorcery speed red mana

Both are instants though? Is there some pro-red creature in D&T I don't know about?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 29, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Both are instants though?

One requires double red against a Wasteland Port deck, hurts you, and gets nerfed by Mom.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Is there some pro-red creature in D&T I don't know about?

all of them

e;fb

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Its to be instant speed and kill through mother of runes. Also double red is nearly impossible to get reliably vs d&t. If mom didnt exist it would just be another pyroclasm probably.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

3-0'd a modern FNM on my birthday yesterday with almost this exact same list (only have 3 goyfs in paper right now):

I beat burn twice (one opponent stumbled on lands in one game, but all five games I played against red deck were nailbiters where I would have been dead if they had untapped again), and beat Affinity. The affinity pilot wasn't real familiar with the deck, and at one point played an overseer into an engineered explosives -- but I think he figured I was never going to pop it if I couldn't get a 2-for-1, and as long as it was sitting there he couldn't make a cranial plating.

I just bumped into Elves for the first time since Ahmonket -- Vizier of Poisons / Devoted Druid seems awfully good in that deck. Druid was almost playable there on its own, and now that they have access to a two-card infinite mana combo, they can go bonkers from a much weaker boardstate. I might have to dust that deck off again...

How was that Simic Charm for you? A guy in my store is trying out BUG Delver with one or two of those and is a big fan.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BillowingSpoopyGnatDxAbomb

They can stop me from playing Miracles in Legacy, but they can't stop me from playing Miracles.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

How was that Simic Charm for you? A guy in my store is trying out BUG Delver with one or two of those and is a big fan.

it straight up won me two games -- in one case as a giant growth for lethal when I would have been dead on the crack back, and in one case as a tempo play to bounce an animated Inkmoth with two cranial platings on it. I hemmed and hawed about adding a second, but I think I might try out a one-of izzet charm first. Modals are good.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Pictured: a hardcast chalice for X=5 is countered by a hardcast force with two defense grids in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
In a week that's been full of nothing but wall to wall poo poo related to MTG, that made my night.