Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I have all the skins except for Tracer, mercy and McCree, it's only McCree I want badly and I should have the gold for it at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
So the new console patch added another aim mode, linear ramp with smoothing.

Some people report it feels more like COD or Destiny

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wish this game had a replay function. I just lost a match while I swear that I was standing on the point and I have no idea where the enemy was. If I could watch a replay and see everyone else's view that would just be peachy.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I played a game with a guy that recognized my tag and defended my picking Orisa, saying it was the best Orisa he had ever seen. So that's nice :blush:

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i joined a comp game once and i wrote 'hi everyone XD' in allchat then a guy on the other team wrote, 'omg its the annoying ana fml' :(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I still have no idea what to make of the ranking system in this game, because this game says I'm very bad, but I used to play FPSes where there were no skill based ranking systems at all, and I used to hold my own. Like, old server browser games where everything was hallways and corridors and the character moved at 90 MPH and headshots weren't implemented yet.

I don't know if, say, gold-platinum matches are really that much harder or what. That poo poo where the computer picks your opponents to try and guarantee a good game wasn't seen until Halo 2, and I feel my games were better (and I learned more) when I could play with a huge variety of people. I played with everyone from Id employees to early esports people just by joining the server they were on; and these days I get games telling me that I'm bad and should play with people who are also bad.

Edit: Just to clarify, QP feels more unbalanced, but I can never tell if it's because the skill variable tolerances are higher, or if it's just because people pick four DPSes and Hanzo every time. On the other hand, I don't have matches in QP end because our roadhog pulled the exploding DVa mech to us and then stared at it for a moment as he realized how hosed we all are, and then it killed us all, and then overtime ran out, and then it became play of the game.

I actually had to go take a break and laugh like a maniac at how perfect the comedic timing on that fuckup was.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 28, 2017

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I recently discovered that as Zenyatta, his "attack the objective" line where he says "we must focus our attack upon the objective" is so long that if you start it again the moment it ends, you'll never have to deal with the callout timer and can spam it the entire game. The best part is that nobody can mute you since there's no way to silence character callouts. I've been doing that and then only talking in modified versions of his callout. It's great.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It's actually possible to hide the text spam from voice macros, but most people don't know about it.

It's /hidechat

I don't remember if there's an underscore between the words, but it autocompletes when you type /hi

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 28, 2017

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Donnerberg posted:

It's actually possible to hide the text spam from voice macros, but most people don't know about it.

It's /hidechat

I don't remember if there's an underscore between the words, but it autocompletes when you type /hi

I think I remember seeing an option that lets you leave allchat in the social menu. Either way it's not the text spam, it's the constant and unending voice line repeating over and over that you can't stop.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
You're right and I applaud Talkative Zen.

Just for the sake of clarity. The social menu mutes stuff people type, while hidechat removes the chatbox. The latter is useful if you're not reading it anyway and want more screenspace. It takes away system messages and everything.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I still have no idea what to make of the ranking system in this game, because this game says I'm very bad, but I used to play FPSes where there were no skill based ranking systems at all, and I used to hold my own. Like, old server browser games where everything was hallways and corridors and the character moved at 90 MPH and headshots weren't implemented yet.

I don't know if, say, gold-platinum matches are really that much harder or what. That poo poo where the computer picks your opponents to try and guarantee a good game wasn't seen until Halo 2, and I feel my games were better (and I learned more) when I could play with a huge variety of people. I played with everyone from Id employees to early esports people just by joining the server they were on; and these days I get games telling me that I'm bad and should play with people who are also bad.

This is an objective-based teamplay game, not a high-mobility twitch deathmatch game. The skills required are different from something like Quake or Halo.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Main Paineframe posted:

This is an objective-based teamplay game, not a high-mobility twitch deathmatch game. The skills required are different from something like Quake or Halo.

Yeah, it keeps occurring to me that if I want an easy SR boost I could just enable voice, but I don't want to have to actively go around muting toxic people like I do mobas. Mei kind of stops being Mei when you hear the screaming ragelord controlling her.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's really not that bad, 95% of people are chill and friendly if you are. You need to be able to at least hear your teammates to have a really successful match

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Most people are really cool on voice chat. I haven't seen anything like the TF2 parade of people piping trollish poo poo through their mics I used to experience.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

muting the occasional toxic idiot takes one second

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The Walrus posted:

It's really not that bad, 95% of people are chill and friendly if you are. You need to be able to at least hear your teammates to have a really successful match

No you don't.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Theta Zero posted:

I recently discovered that as Zenyatta, his "attack the objective" line where he says "we must focus our attack upon the objective" is so long that if you start it again the moment it ends, you'll never have to deal with the callout timer and can spam it the entire game. The best part is that nobody can mute you since there's no way to silence character callouts. I've been doing that and then only talking in modified versions of his callout. It's great.

You can also do this with one of the Bastion songs. I have spent many a map happily buzzing along on Bastion's Payload Adventure complete with jaunty soundtrack!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

So the new console patch added another aim mode, linear ramp with smoothing.

Some people report it feels more like COD or Destiny

Oh nice, I'll try this out and see if it improves my abysmal aiming.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

No you don't.
I mean, yeah, it's not strictly necessary. But you're giving yourself a huge handicap if you default to having voice off. it's also easy enough to pull the plug if it turns out that your team is full of toxic ragers, and that's pretty rare anyway.

But simple stuff like well-coordinated ults will win you matches that you would have lost without voice.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Smiles posted:

i joined a comp game once and i wrote 'hi everyone XD' in allchat then a guy on the other team wrote, 'omg its the annoying ana fml' :(

It's always nice when people recognise you. Although in running into people who are running matches on their Alts all the time now. One dude I've run into has five alts at GM

Like jeez dude how much time do you have

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
Think this game needs an alternate quick play where it's wild west style and you could be potentially matched up against anybody of any MMR. That way people who hate smurfs can be left alone and slum divers can still get their jollies.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Constantine XI posted:

Think this game needs an alternate quick play where it's wild west style and you could be potentially matched up against anybody of any MMR. That way people who hate smurfs can be left alone and slum divers can still get their jollies.

The server browser is basically that. It's surprising how suddenly easy the game is with absolute random players in a game.

Good luck finding a server that's running a normal mode in the server browser, though.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, it keeps occurring to me that if I want an easy SR boost I could just enable voice, but I don't want to have to actively go around muting toxic people like I do mobas. Mei kind of stops being Mei when you hear the screaming ragelord controlling her.

It's not just voice - the way you have to play is fundamentally different, too. Character roles, matchups, positioning, and map design are all different.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Uprising match, all heroes. Picked Mercy because nobody ever picks a loving healer. I get a Genji, Sombra, and Bastion that refuses to go turret mode.

gently caress me running, what a nightmare game.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

RanKizama posted:

Uprising match, all heroes. Picked Mercy because nobody ever picks a loving healer. I get a Genji, Sombra, and Bastion that refuses to go turret mode.

gently caress me running, what a nightmare game.

Bastion and Sombra are pretty good at Uprising. Swap the Genji for a Reinhardt, Orisa, or Torbjorn and that would be a pretty solid team.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Theta Zero posted:

Bastion and Sombra are pretty good at Uprising. Swap the Genji for a Reinhardt, Orisa, or Torbjorn and that would be a pretty solid team.
Sombra is okay if she hacks down shields and stuns the devastators. Bastion is good if he turrets and mows down splicers and other Bastions. My teammates did neither of these things and the Genji was a loving nightmare jumping all over the goddamn place. I was so goddamn mad trying to keep everyone up. I almost quit, but I'm stubborn.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I had a Genji and a Hanzo the other day in Uprising the other day, whee.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Bastion is the best possible damage pick in Uprising and can solo carry DPS in all difficulties besides Legendary with a barrier.

All heroes is really easy, in any case. There's a massive margin for error with two tanks

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 29, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Bastion is the best possible damage pick in Uprising and can solo carry DPS in all difficulties besides Legendary with a barrier.

All heroes is really easy, in any case. There's a massive margin for error with two tanks

Bastion can be solo DPS in Legendary no problem. Just need Rein, Orisa, and Mercy with him and it's a cakewalk.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I only did Legendary on fixed party so I didn't test it personally. All heroes is a total cakewalk between Reinhardt and Orisa, she can pull the Turret bastions right off their ledges and force them to run all the way back too

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Theta Zero posted:

None of you have played Hearthstone I see. You just right click the player and hit squelch chat and that stops their in-game quote spamming. I use it on Meis who think they're ameizing.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

BallisticClipboard posted:

None of you have played Hearthstone I see. You just right click the player and hit squelch chat and that stops their in-game quote spamming. I use it on Meis who think they're ameizing.

you should be banned

another good line is widowmarkers "Step into my parlor", that ones really long

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Anyone wanna team up in HotS later this week and grind the new D.va/ED-209 skin? Shoot me a message. I need this skin in a bad way.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

RanKizama posted:

Anyone wanna team up in HotS later this week and grind the new D.va/ED-209 skin? Shoot me a message. I need this skin in a bad way.

Get ya self in the Hots goonscord pal. We're a friendly bunch.

https://discord.gg/z7MrD

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Ronnie posted:

Get ya self in the Hots goonscord pal. We're a friendly bunch.

https://discord.gg/z7MrD
Good poo poo. I'll check that out later. I just logged into the game for the first time since the update and opened a lot of loot boxes for random poo poo. I like how they let you re-roll loot boxes. OW needs to do this.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

i haven't played OW in a long time but Orisa is really fun and also the police D.Va is one of the best skins i've seen to date. i always had a hard time getting into OW because most of the heroes never clicked with me. any tips for being good and cool with Orisa?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
that's easy. orisa is always cool, but never good

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://zippy.gfycat.com/WatchfulContentHorse.webm

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Wait are you telling me artists consume media too? Must be a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I actually didn't know it was a reference.