Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Avitus straight up mentions being Saren's apprentice in conversation in the game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Oh and the Turian mechanic on Noveria, I hope he shows up in the next game. Someone needs to fix the not-Mako.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

monster on a stick posted:

Does Andromeda also show us what happened to the Salarian merchant on Feros, the non-corrupt cop-san on Noveria, and the guy who asks for his wife's body? I mean it's really important to find out what happened to them.

Salarian merchant: died when Reapers attacked
Cop from Noveria (living on Illium in ME2): died when Reapers attacked
The guy who wanted his wife's body: died when Cerberus (working for the Reapers) attacked

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Error 404 posted:

Salarian merchant: died when Reapers attacked
Cop from Noveria (living on Illium in ME2): died when Reapers attacked
The guy who wanted his wife's body: died when Cerberus (working for the Reapers) attacked

No not the undercover agent, the honest cop who calls you Shepard-san (because she is Japanese, see) and when you fight the Geth in the parking garage comes out and says "WTF is going on?"

Oh and also what happened to the Krogan who were looking for fish on the Citadel, thanks in advance

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BrianWilly posted:

Avitus straight up mentions being Saren's apprentice in conversation in the game, too.

See, this level of connection was so unnecessary. That said, Avitus is neato.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pick posted:

See, this level of connection was so unnecessary. That said, Avitus is neato.

Eh, I can forgive it in this case. There probably aren't that many Spectres at any given time and I'd imagine that, Shepard aside, it's a fairly close-knit community. Nihlus and Saren knew each other, no stretch to think Avitus also knew them and was associated with one of them.

Then again, it's not like being terrified of departing too much from the existing Mass Effect setting isn't a running thing (in my opinion, major problem) with Andromeda anyway.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pick posted:

If the benefactor is good, I promise they own a katana. If the benefactors evil, I promise they own an evil katana.

Ryder sighed as he drew his firaan.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Ryder sighed as he drew 'Azure Slayer', a gift from the Asari Matriarch, Hanza.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
What exactly does Force do in this game again, as in Biotic/Melee Force? I read it's how well you can stun/stagger things, but back in the earlier ME games I always thought it was more like, you could launch enemies at a faster speed, so they would take more damage when they banged against walls and stuff. Has anyone actually tested it? If it is indeed stagger threshold, can some large enemies not be staggered at all?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zero VGS posted:

What exactly does Force do in this game again, as in Biotic/Melee Force? I read it's how well you can stun/stagger things, but back in the earlier ME games I always thought it was more like, you could launch enemies at a faster speed, so they would take more damage when they banged against walls and stuff. Has anyone actually tested it? If it is indeed stagger threshold, can some large enemies not be staggered at all?

In ME3 more force equaled more stagger. In ME3 for example, you wanted to spec the Human Vanguard's charge to give 1000 newtons of force, which was the stagger point for the Phantom (because it would instantly kill you if you didn't hit 1000N and hit it with Charge).

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It'd also indirectly affect how much damage they'd take from physics collisions too AFAIK.

I don't think enemies take physics damage now though. I've blown annointed a thousand feet into the air and had them land (usually behind me) and light me up like nothing loving happened. It's one of the reasons biotic echoes can be a bit poo poo, if it doesn't outright kill enemies they can end up flanking you from all over the place.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 1, 2017

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

tooterfish posted:

It'd also indirectly affect how much damage they'd take from physics collisions too AFAIK.

I don't think enemies take physics damage now though. I've blown annointed a thousand feet into the air and had them land (usually behind me) and light me up like nothing loving happened. It's one of the reasons biotic echoes can be a bit poo poo, if it doesn't outright kill enemies they can end up flanking you from all over the place.
Physics damage is fixed at 250 to 350 with some power evolutions.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I avoided playing ME3 for years since the internet hated it so much. Just got around to playing/finishing it right now, and gently caress y'all, that was a cool video game and I liked it. That being said,
- Absolutely everything about EDI's new body was bad. Jesus christ, Joker.
- Kai Leng was bad.
- Running animation in the Normandy/Citadel was comically bad.
- Got a little corny when every 10 minutes I just so happen to run into yet another major or minor character from a previous game. Apparently the galaxy is roughly the size of my neighborhood.

Maybe Andromeda is secretly good as well. I guess I'll find out in 2022 when I get around to trying it.

Shooting Mordin bummed me out a whole lot btw. Shot Legion and Wrex too. Being friends with Shepard seems like an awful idea.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Vargs posted:

Shooting Mordin bummed me out a whole lot btw. Shot Legion and Wrex too. Being friends with Shepard seems like an awful idea.
You didn't need to shoot any of them!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
*writes Vargs name down on the not cool and ungood list*

:frogon:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I played though ME3 as Space Jesus, so I never shot my teammates. I remember for the Space Hitler playthrough of ME1, you kill the krogan member of your team if your playing true to Space Hitler.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 1, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Vargs posted:

Maybe Andromeda is secretly good as well. I guess I'll find out in 2022 when I get around to trying it.

MEA makes ME3 look like game of the decade all decades

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Moola posted:

MEA makes ME3 look like game of the decade all decades

pretty much. for all of me3s various issues, it still had a solid bedrock of 2 good games and great characters and at least some of the choices led to things and you felt stuff. andromada just has jack poo poo going for it. sure it has some ok characters even a few good ones, but most of it feels like mass effect surface only.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Vargs posted:

I avoided playing ME3 for years since the internet hated it so much. Just got around to playing/finishing it right now, and gently caress y'all, that was a cool video game and I liked it. That being said,
- Kai Leng was bad.
- Got a little corny when every 10 minutes I just so happen to run into yet another major or minor character from a previous game. Apparently the galaxy is roughly the size of my neighborhood.

Here's what you missed in the thread: ME3 is good, some people don't like the ending. Andromeda still bad. Also, don't shoot any of your teammates, they are all nice folks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

a primate posted:

Here's what you missed in the thread: ME3 is good, some people don't like the ending. Andromeda still bad. Also, don't shoot any of your teammates, they are all nice folks.

:trumppop:
:sad:

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Taear posted:

He's one of the pathfinder team. He becomes the pathfinder later on after all.

Unfortunately I don't care about combat at all. Often they'll be aggroed from far far away. And my companions will attack them. At least I think they are attacking them since it's such a hassle seeing if your companions are doing anything.

Yeah, but when you find him he's NOT the Pathfinder, he's just some guy

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. for all of me3s various issues, it still had a solid bedrock of 2 good games and great characters and at least some of the choices led to things and you felt stuff. andromada just has jack poo poo going for it. sure it has some ok characters even a few good ones, but most of it feels like mass effect surface only.

I picked the green ending, my choices mattered. Technically all your choices don't matter because they all gave "war resources" so they didn't care what you picked, haha.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Much like the real world, 99% of ME3 is dragged down by 1% of it.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Taear posted:

I never have either but I could tell my squad was doing stuff. This one it does feel like it's me on my own and some people just sorta...running about.

TO be fair, if you're using SickAssKrogan(WHICH YOU loving SHOULD) all he does is run about and gently caress poo poo up. I haven't had any problem with the AI in this game

Carebearz fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 1, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
ME3 war resources and MEA planet viability are basically the same things in both games. You get it regardless after the quest and all your choices during the quests are kinda pointless. At least a space baby doesn't have you choose the ending movie.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 1, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Mass Effect 3, your final moments are spent talking to a space baby.

In Mass Effect Andromeda, you play as a literal space baby for 80 hours.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I was going to say, in Mass Effect Andromeda the big nemesis is the space baby.

Just look at those big round eyes and tell me otherwise.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

exquisite tea posted:

In Mass Effect 3, your final moments are spent talking to a space baby.

You also dream about the space baby too after the major missions!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The dream sequences in ME3 much like many other aspects to Mass Effect really only make sense if you played your Shepard a particular type of way and not if you're say, a colossal rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a poo poo about collateral damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

The dream sequences in ME3 much like many other aspects to Mass Effect really only make sense if you played your Shepard a particular type of way and not if you're say, a colossal rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a poo poo about collateral damage.

They could have been clever and reference some of the ME1 background starts too, like see a soldier eaten by a thresher maw or see everyone get shot by batarians.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm surprised no one talks about how the Kett are basically carbon copies of the reapers trying to turn all races into them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hi I'm Commander Shepard, hero(ine?) of a thousand bloodthirsty battles across the galaxy, slaughterer of all life, pulverizer of spines and widowmaker extraordinaire.

I'm now going to get mope around being sad and emotional for an entire game because I watched some dumb kid die.

No, no you don't get to decide I feel this way with a button press or any player agency. That's just how it is because of the incredible artistic vision the writing team has so deal with it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I'm surprised no one talks about how the Kett are basically carbon copies of the reapers trying to turn all races into them.

We're still getting over how the entire plot of Andromeda is basically a carbon copy of Halo 4.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenzarin posted:

My brother thought they were Collectors again at first.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

exquisite tea posted:

We're still getting over how the entire plot of Andromeda is basically a carbon copy of Halo 4.

I only played Halo 2, the ending sucked.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Serf posted:

Much like the real world, 99% of ME3 is dragged down by 1% of it.

disagree

I think 75% of me3 is medicore, 4.5% is great, and 20.5% is terrible

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Played Dragon Age: Origins? They're also copies of the darkspawn.

BW just has a weird thing with the villains want us to become them.

@ME3 Talk

Feeling bad about dead kid is lame. But ME3 had things like the Rannoch Reaper fight and while there is no actaul final boss, the final fight in is still more intense than the "final boss" of Andromeda.

This might be due to these scenes having unbelievably good music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqVqMh8kHHk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3T-uY53sWk

In any event, those two moments alone blow all of Andromeda out of the water. And there were several other good moments besides.

3 has problems with being railroaded and given a characterization of Shepard I don't exactly agree with a lot of the time but it was still really fun and emotional. Seeing Jack again for instance is such a fond memory for me.

Also while it's DLC, Citadel is so good that it might as well be mandatory and it also is better than all of Andromeda. It's basically a DLC full of Movie Nights.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 1, 2017

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Vargs posted:

- Kai Leng was bad.

Maybe being friends with your lovely Shep was a bad idea, WHY THE gently caress WOULD YOU SHOOT MORDIN, LEGION, OR WREX THEY WERE THE BEST.

e: I'm seconding the point that Vargs is lovely and an uncool and notgood dude

Carebearz fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 1, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's really hard to replay ME3's campaign after ME2's and the multiplayer. The presentation's a lot worse and there's so little to actually kill after playing gold or platinum. Early on everyone's freaking out about the Brute, but I've killed it already.

The biggest problem in Andromeda for me though is that Bioware really lost any sense of cinematography with the cutscenes. The example I gave before was how in a throwaway conversation on Tuchanka in 2 the Krogan shaman, if you answer right, talks about how Shepard "gets" the Krogan, how they love to fight and crush the enemy, and while he's talking it cuts to a tight shot of Shepard's face in profile and shadowed as they start to grin. Or Zaeed and Shepard pulling their guns on each other if you let the Blue Suns guy get away. There's nothing like that at all in Andromeda. Like yeah the plot's dumb and peoples' faces are tired but it's a pretty good looking game! They just won't show it in a flattering way.

quote:

Maybe being friends with your lovely Shep was a bad idea, WHY THE gently caress WOULD YOU SHOOT MORDIN, LEGION, OR WREX THEY WERE THE BEST.

I wonder how many people never woke Grunt or Legion up and hawked them for cash on their first playthroughs.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Moola posted:

disagree

I think 75% of me3 is medicore, 4.5% is great, and 20.5% is terrible

A fair assessment. I just remember enjoying pretty much every moment of ME3 until the very ending. That was just disappointing, akin to the air being let out of a balloon all at once. I replayed it before ME:A and had pretty much the same experience again. Fantastic game until it ends.