Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bilirubin posted:

Why?

Having caddies using them to make notes in their notebooks seems appropriate, but I have visions of weekend hackers hauling one out with each shot and slowing down their play even more. Hopefully this is jus tmy overactive imagination though. Just seems like a crutch and another thing to spend ones money on that isn't really needed.

But who knows perhaps in a year I won't be able to imagine playing without one.

You're correct about slowing the game. But, the players that are stupid slow already are the ones who misuse the rangefinders. There are guys who check it while 15 feet off the green, or who walk to their ball with no clubs and only the rangefinder, and yeah, it's another tool in their slow the game down arsenal. But, used by ready golfers, they can speed up play by giving good accurate distances, and thereby better shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I only got a rangefinder this year. At my handicap, I really only use it inside 120 yards to figure out which wedge I need to use and to scout out whether or not a hazard is in play. The GPS app on my phone is best for calculating layups and as a frame of reference on blind doglegs or elevation changes. For example, it shoots 95 yards but the shot is up hill and into the wind, so it's playing 115.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I came very close to walking off of the golf course leaving my clubs behind today.

I can't hit my driver, at all. It's a 150 yard duck hook every time. I'm hitting every other club in my bag better than I ever have but I can't hit my driver.

I hit 5 iron off the tee on almost every hole after the sixth today and scored better.

I'm so goddamn frustrated right now.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I could have used one at the range today to calculate the lateral displacement on a few of my slices.

Hit a jumbo bucket, and was really pleased with the distance, consistency, and direction of my irons, although I noted that the shafts were regular not stiff. The grips are shot though--the rubber has dried and they are slick and brittle. Eh, they are non conforming silhouettes so best replaced at some point.

My "new" driver had nice distance, but my 3 and 5 woods really bent strongly to the right. Check the shafts and they are "lights" What madness is that? Not going to say they are responsible for my at times poor play, but no way am I going to be fighting my gear in the future. Those get replaced soonest.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Shrapnig posted:

I came very close to walking off of the golf course leaving my clubs behind today.

I can't hit my driver, at all. It's a 150 yard duck hook every time. I'm hitting every other club in my bag better than I ever have but I can't hit my driver.

I hit 5 iron off the tee on almost every hole after the sixth today and scored better.

I'm so goddamn frustrated right now.

:smith:

I can relate with your sentiment Shrapnig.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hot as balls outside today

Ya birdied #9 to finish even on the front. Hell yeah! Off to a great start! Woooo

:doh:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Agree with Kameh, no way a laser range finder slows down play if it's in the right hands.

Speaking of slow play, I played 18 holes with my parents and sister on Saturday. Overall it was pretty fun, I shot a 79, 41 on the front and 37 on the back. 41 on the front includes three penalty strokes and double bogey on a par 3, blech. Round could have been a lot uglier but I made some long putts. I don't think I've putted this well in years.

My mom is just absolutely the slowest golfer though, I legit play worse around her cause I'm waiting about ten minutes in between shots. It took us 4 4.5 hours to play and we never had to wait a single time. That's just toooooo long. She has this huge pre-shot routine to try to eliminate her golf anxiety and it takes her like a full minute to hit every shot from the time she steps up the the ball. That's not factoring in the hemming and hawing over what club to hit. Her and my sister also have just zero course awareness, my mom doesn't watch to see where her shot goes so it's constantly "have you seen my ball?", then they will drive to one ball and wait to hit it. Then drive to the other one, INSTEAD OF DROPPING SOMEONE OFF AND HITTING ALMOST AT THE SAME TIME.

Tough to get much momentum going when you literally have to wait for ten other shots to be played between each of your shots.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Those general "center of the green" measures on phone golfshot gps apps or carts are better for most folks but I love my rangefinder.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

DoctaFun posted:

Agree with Kameh, no way a laser range finder slows down play if it's in the right hands.

Speaking of slow play, I played 18 holes with my parents and sister on Saturday. Overall it was pretty fun, I shot a 79, 41 on the front and 37 on the back. 41 on the front includes three penalty strokes and double bogey on a par 3, blech. Round could have been a lot uglier but I made some long putts. I don't think I've putted this well in years.

My mom is just absolutely the slowest golfer though, I legit play worse around her cause I'm waiting about ten minutes in between shots. It took us 4 4.5 hours to play and we never had to wait a single time. That's just toooooo long. She has this huge pre-shot routine to try to eliminate her golf anxiety and it takes her like a full minute to hit every shot from the time she steps up the the ball. That's not factoring in the hemming and hawing over what club to hit. Her and my sister also have just zero course awareness, my mom doesn't watch to see where her shot goes so it's constantly "have you seen my ball?", then they will drive to one ball and wait to hit it. Then drive to the other one, INSTEAD OF DROPPING SOMEONE OFF AND HITTING ALMOST AT THE SAME TIME.

Tough to get much momentum going when you literally have to wait for ten other shots to be played between each of your shots.

Golfing with your family is extremely ftw. I look forward to my family's annual 4th of July round every year.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Keyser S0ze posted:

Those general "center of the green" measures on phone golfshot gps apps or carts are better for most folks but I love my rangefinder.

yeah, I like to throw darts at the pin from 105 and in with my 56 degree wedge so knowing the exact pin distance allows me to know exactly what I should swing to for the distance. Most people wouldn't care, but I do. Range finder doesn't slow me down, but I am generally waiting on the people in front of me always. I get my yardage to most pin locations before the scrubs even pull the flag for their 3rd putts.

edit: Before I got a range finder a few weeks back though I would generally try to do the same thing moving the target on The Grint gps screen based on pin position given and then guesstimating it's location. Wasn't bad, took a little longer to adjust/feel comfortable with the distance though, but my putting average over 18 holes has improved with a range finder because I am putting it much closer.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ABOUT loving TIME

USGA posted:

New Decision 34-3/10 implements two standards for Rules committees to limit the use of video: 1) when video reveals evidence that could not reasonably be seen with the “naked eye,” and 2) when players use their “reasonable judgment” to determine a specific location when applying the Rules.

The first standard states, “the use of video technology can make it possible to identify things that could not be seen with the naked eye.” An example includes a player who unknowingly touches a few grains of sand in taking a backswing with a club in a bunker when making a stroke.

If the committee concludes that such facts could not reasonably have been seen with the naked eye and the player was not otherwise aware of the potential breach, the player will be deemed not to have breached the Rules, even when video technology shows otherwise. This is an extension of the provision on ball-at-rest-moved cases, which was introduced in 2014.

The second standard applies when a player determines a spot, point, position, line, area, distance or other location in applying the Rules, and recognizes that a player should not be held to the degree of precision that can sometimes be provided by video technology. Examples include determining the nearest point of relief or replacing a lifted ball.

So long as the player does what can reasonably be expected under the circumstances to make an accurate determination, the player’s reasonable judgment will be accepted, even if later shown to be inaccurate by the use of video evidence.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

ABOUT loving TIME

This is all well and good, but it does not stop arm chair quarterbacks at home calling in rules violations :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

This is all well and good, but it does not stop arm chair quarterbacks at home calling in rules violations :(

I think that's the PGA/LPGA's thing, not the USGA

E: and that 'reasonable judgement' thing seems to head it off as well to a degree

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 25, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I bought got fitted for my first set of new clubs last weekend. It was demo weekend at the local Golf and Ski Warehouse, so 2 hours before my scheduled fitting in the Callaway machine. I hit the King Cobra one lengths, Callaway steel series, Ping G series, and some Taylor made clubs. I had never been to a demo day, so I had no idea what to expect. The Ping rep watched me hit 4 black dot (standard lie) 7 irons and told me that I needed a more upright club. 5 minutes later I was crushing a Yellow day G series iron. I asked him how he could tell and said he was just watching my divots. Then it started to rain so I went inside for my fitting.

The guy who did the fitting is an associate of one of my golfing buddies and he had offered to do it at no charge. I was buying clubs regardless of if I was getting charged or not, but it made the whole experience a lot more relaxed.The Callaway Performance center is basically a large closed off room with a screen you hit into and a machine the measures your distance, ball speed, ball spin, etc I hit about 10 shots with 4 different brands of irons, and we discarded the worst two shots when doing the analysis of distance and whatnot.

I ended up choosing the Pings, and after hitting more shots the club fitter also thought I needed the yellow dot. Then it was driver time. I ended up choosing the GBB Epic. It just swings so nicely, I hit a nice draw with it, and the spin numbers were better than the Ping.

Finally, since I never hit my 3 wood, I decided to go with a Callaway XR 4 wood. Can't wait for them to come in!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Kirkland Signature balls are back in stock.

2 dozen for $30 + $5 shipping

4 piece urethane ball. Supposed to be comparable to the pro v1.

Edit: You do not need to be a member, I'm told.

Edit 2: Yes, I bought the max of 4 dozen.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

poo poo, they're out of stock. Oh well I think I still have ~3 dozen and I'm not using them until it dries up a bit more anyway.

Day 1 of my Tuesday league last night was interesting. I had two birdies and was putting very well but still shot a 45. It's such a difficult course compared to what I'm used to, every bad shot or mis-club is severely punished. If I'm not 6-8 shots lower in my league tonight at my home course I'll be surprised.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Kirkland Signature balls are back in stock.

2 dozen for $30 + $5 shipping

4 piece urethane ball. Supposed to be comparable to the pro v1.

Edit: You do not need to be a member, I'm told.

Edit 2: Yes, I bought the max of 4 dozen.

I played them when they first came out, they are essentially pro v1's in disguise.

And good lord man, you just bought 4 dozen of the nike's a few weeks ago. How many golf balls do you have lol :)

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

I played them when they first came out, they are essentially pro v1's in disguise.

And good lord man, you just bought 4 dozen of the nike's a few weeks ago. How many golf balls do you have lol :)

Well, this should push it to 18 dozen. Then I'm good.

Right, guys? Guys?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pro V1 is garbage. Pro V1x or bust. :smug:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Well, this should push it to 18 dozen. Then I'm good.

Right, guys? Guys?

lol

I've got 8 dozen at home right now, guess I can't talk to much poo poo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oh god I only have 1 sleeve of fresh balls. What do I even buy these days? I used to game whatever coach gave us (was Maxifly iirc), but had settled on Titleist Tour 100 compression from pure feel. What does that mean in today's game?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Oh god I only have 1 sleeve of fresh balls. What do I even buy these days? I used to game whatever coach gave us (was Maxifly iirc), but had settled on Titleist Tour 100 compression from pure feel. What does that mean in today's game?
There's no "Titleist Tour" ball. There was the Titleist Professional, played by pretty much everyone, the Tour Prestige, played by Karrie Webb but was only around for a few years before the Pro V1 appeared, and the Tour Balata. They all came in 90 and 100 compressions.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

There's no "Titleist Tour" ball. There was the Titleist Professional, played by pretty much everyone, the Tour Prestige, played by Karrie Webb but was only around for a few years before the Pro V1 appeared, and the Tour Balata. They all came in 90 and 100 compressions.

IDK man it was like 30 years ago and I didn't :spergin: about things other than "did it hit straight and feel good" back then before we had access to literally the entirety of human knowledge at our fingertips. As I recall the sleeves were black.

Thanks for this though, guess I'll give the ProV1s a try then.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

IDK man it was like 30 years ago and I didn't :spergin: about things other than "did it hit straight and feel good" back then before we had access to literally the entirety of human knowledge at our fingertips. As I recall the sleeves were black.

Thanks for this though, guess I'll give the ProV1s a try then.
That's probably a Tour Balata then. The Professional was in a bronze sleeve.

Pro V1's are expensive. If you're just getting back into golf, the Top Flite Gamer will be a good value.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 26, 2017

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Or 2014 AAAA Pro V1's from lostgolfballs.com for about a dollar a ball. I am not the best golfer but at that price it is all I use. I like using a consistent ball and the feel and green holding abilities makes it a win. Probably not helping my two way miss off the tee at the moment though :v:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Nabokoffin posted:

Or 2014 AAAA Pro V1's from lostgolfballs.com for about a dollar a ball. I am not the best golfer but at that price it is all I use. I like using a consistent ball and the feel and green holding abilities makes it a win. Probably not helping my two way miss off the tee at the moment though :v:

I've been gaming cheapo Slazengers this spring and it's really noticeable how much harder it is to hit a fade with an iron compared to any urethane ball. They stay straighter with the driver too which is usually a good thing; I may keep a bunch in my bag if I am going full try-hard in a scramble so I can hit driver with them and use KSigs or whatever for all the other shots. My boss does it with Top Flites and ProV1s but he's like a 28 handicap so it doesn't really matter much to him IMO.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Suprfli6 posted:

I've been gaming cheapo Slazengers this spring and it's really noticeable how much harder it is to hit a fade with an iron compared to any urethane ball. They stay straighter with the driver too which is usually a good thing; I may keep a bunch in my bag if I am going full try-hard in a scramble so I can hit driver with them and use KSigs or whatever for all the other shots. My boss does it with Top Flites and ProV1s but he's like a 28 handicap so it doesn't really matter much to him IMO.

That is good to know, I may have to switch to them. I am around a 15 handicap, been shooting in the 80's this year but took a month and a half off. Played last week and shot 114, tight fairways with out of bounds everywhere though. Going to play here in a couple of minutes so we will see if I still got the wild tee shots.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thanks for the ball suggestions, will give them all a try. I recall when younger playing the Titleist DT 90s but then taking the step up in compression. Memory is a hell of a thing.

Got a couple of my irons regripped this morning, in anticipation for lessons. I would have done all of my irons but at like $100 for the set it kind of feels like throwing good money after bad given I plan to get an entirely new set more to my specs. I did notice that the face of my commonly hit irons (esp W, 9, 7, 5) the grooves in the sweet spot are getting pretty badly worn so its probably time.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm very upset that my hard earned angst and autism bought Kameh KSigs.

You're dead to me.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

I'm very upset that my hard earned angst and autism bought Kameh KSigs.

You're dead to me.

Nah bro, those were outta my pocket.

You bought me these instead.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Trip Report:

I striped every ball down every fairway as well as I could hope. My wedges and short irons were poo poo so I posted a poo poo score. I love and hate this game so much.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I played fairly bad in Wednesday league but I still shot one of the lowest scores at 6 over. I had one of the six birdies in the entire skins pool (~35 guys) which makes me optimistic about winning some $$ this year.

The other team we played with was a guy in his 50s with his son subbing for his usual partner. The son was really inconsistent and shot a 51, but he also hit a drive that went 20 yards further than I've ever seen a ball on that hole. I just checked with Google Earth and it carried 295-300 yards and was 60 feet uphill from the tee to where it landed.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Recently bought a bucket of 5As from them, and --as advertised-- some still have pen marks from the original owners. I've tried isopropol alcohol, ethanol, acetone and Magic Erasers, and nothing removes the ink. Does anything work? I can remove Sharpie ink from other things, why not golf balls?

Also, I've been warned against their reconditioned balls. Good advice?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/EuropeanTour/st...%26autosize%3D1

that sound

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Lincoln posted:

Recently bought a bucket of 5As from them, and --as advertised-- some still have pen marks from the original owners. I've tried isopropol alcohol, ethanol, acetone and Magic Erasers, and nothing removes the ink. Does anything work? I can remove Sharpie ink from other things, why not golf balls?

Also, I've been warned against their reconditioned balls. Good advice?

Acetone doesn't work? Neither does a magic eraser? Acetone alone gets rid of most of it for me. There's sometimes a very faint blue line, but it doesn't bother me.

I've never tried it on golf balls, but here's a teacher trick: wipe over a Sharpie mark with an Expo dry erase marker, then clean it off with a dry-erase eraser (or rag, in this case). Gets rid of sharpie marks on the whiteboard.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 30, 2017

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Here's a different, but still satisfying sound:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQv9BIajeYD/

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Kameh posted:

Here's a different, but still satisfying sound:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQv9BIajeYD/

I've hit a shot from pretty much that exact same spot on that hole before. I won't pretend I hit it as good as that, but it was a nice low hooked 3w through/between the trees that came up just short of the green.

That hole is brutal if you don't like hitting a draw off the tee, or if you're a spectator standing on the right tree line - I've seen at least two different ones take a tee shot directly to the skull and collapse the last two years of the LA Open.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 30, 2017

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
damnit

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I'm curious what the consensus is on Zurich's Team format. What do you guys think about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Kameh posted:

I've never tried it on golf balls, but here's a teacher trick: wipe over a Sharpie mark with an Expo dry erase marker, then clean it off with a dry-erase eraser (or rag, in this case). Gets rid of sharpie marks on the whiteboard.

oh yeah, tried that too. No dice. It's like the pen ink is as permanent as the factory Titleist logo. Bizarre.