Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Marketing New Brain posted:

A lot of the problem is cards not being powerful outside of their block synergies. Delirium and Energy are great examples, you need a critical mass to make them effective or solid enablers. Meanwhile a deck like Mardu works because it is just a good stuff deck, it'll take Cast Out and possibly a planeswalker and discard the rest.

The design on some of these sets for constructed was terrible, and the only new 'archetype' is TorrentialGearhulk.dec because it only cares about card type. They also made the majority of the Aftermath cards well short of constructed playable.

The issue I have with block-based synergy decks is that they largely build themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Marketing New Brain posted:

A lot of the problem is cards not being powerful outside of their block synergies. Delirium and Energy are great examples, you need a critical mass to make them effective or solid enablers. Meanwhile a deck like Mardu works because it is just a good stuff deck, it'll take Cast Out and possibly a planeswalker and discard the rest.

The design on some of these sets for constructed was terrible, and the only new 'archetype' is TorrentialGearhulk.dec because it only cares about card type. They also made the majority of the Aftermath cards well short of constructed playable.

Cut // Ribbons in Mardu is wrecking G/B

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Standard looks better now. The meta is pretty open to some fun decks now.

I predict an Abzan delirium control deck will be pretty fun. I might put one together.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

Cut // Ribbons in Mardu is wrecking G/B

I mean two mana flame slash isn't good enough because it is awful vs Mardu, and in general, but I guess anything can happen with the weird way in which they are building sets now. I think that card is extremely fringe and not going to see much play.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
G/B Delirium is back baby, and would have won against Jessup instead of drawing if Jessup wasn't slowed down by his chins.

It is always awkward to watch both players show their hands, and mathematically a person would have lost, but they refuse to concede while the other guy begs for his win.

Edit: Cut/Ribbons just won three games on screen today. Who knew shooting down Grim Flayers and then flinging 5 at the opponents face would be good in an aggro deck.

Edit about Abzan: I have been playing Abzan G/B Snake adding Gideon and Sorin. It plays like Tokens with more removal and bigger counters. I can post a list if anyone is interested.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 30, 2017

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Here's the book review I mentioned I was writing: Generation Decks, by Titus Chalk (amazon link)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Playing Draft the other day I had my opponent down to 1 when he turned on New Perspectives, cycled through half his deck to find Archfiend of Ifnir at my end of turn, then used it to wipe my board.

Pretty much every game of this format has had some amazing play in it, all sorts of fun.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
If your goal was just to beat Mardu and you didn't care about any other matchup, what would you run?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

uninverted posted:

If your goal was just to beat Mardu and you didn't care about any other matchup, what would you run?

BG is probably the best choice right now if you want an established deck. There might be a better Abzan build or a WB control list that has even more removal and lifelinkers to put the game out of reach once it stabilizes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

DangerDongs posted:

G/B Delirium is back baby, and would have won against Jessup instead of drawing if Jessup wasn't slowed down by his chins.

It is always awkward to watch both players show their hands, and mathematically a person would have lost, but they refuse to concede while the other guy begs for his win.

Edit: Cut/Ribbons just won three games on screen today. Who knew shooting down Grim Flayers and then flinging 5 at the opponents face would be good in an aggro deck.

Edit about Abzan: I have been playing Abzan G/B Snake adding Gideon and Sorin. It plays like Tokens with more removal and bigger counters. I can post a list if anyone is interested.

Drop it in the Brewhaus? I'm definitely playing black at Montreal, but don't fancy getting Heart of Kirens. I think I have most BG cards though. Would like to see if there is a Mardu deck that isn't vehicles now, I'd like to do a walker deck in those colors, see if using both Lilanas works.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I just want a blue control deck to be good

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

GeneX posted:

GeneX posted:

GeneX posted:

GeneX posted:

:same: PLEASE

e:

and not just a midrange deck that plays Torrential Gearhulk

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

GeneX posted:

Same, and not tapout! I just want to play in my opponents' end steps.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

Here's the book review I mentioned I was writing: Generation Decks, by Titus Chalk (amazon link)

Don't you only post in here to promote your own writing? Do you get money if we buy the book through that link? You should really disclose that.

I scrubbed your referrer info from the link in my quote. If anyone wants it, click through the link in my quote.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Don't you only post in here to promote your own writing? Do you get money if we buy the book through that link? You should really disclose that.

I scrubbed your referrer info from the link in my quote. If anyone wants it, click through the link in my quote.
Yep. This isn't surprising given everything he writes is long-form autofellatio.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Yep. This isn't surprising given everything he writes is long-form autofellatio.

I like calling him out on it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Hahaha holy poo poo dude, I post stuff here because I've been posting in these threads since the first one and I got a good response from them when I was starting out and people seem to like what I write

And no, there's no amazon referral link in there, I think that's visible if you like look at the URL or something, but I don't make any money off of this

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo dude, I post stuff here because I've been posting in these threads since the first one and I got a good response from them when I was starting out and people seem to like what I write

And no, there's no amazon referral link in there, I think that's visible if you like look at the URL or something, but I don't make any money off of this

I can tell by the quality of your writing that you don't make any money off of it.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Did you ever go back and edit that art director interview with all the factual errors and misattributions? I'm going to guess no.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I like KCW's writing. I won't say it can never use an editor, but I generally don't expect random blogs to be professionally edited. Well, peace.

e: that being said, yeah, after rereading the comments to the art director interview, it should have some official corrections it looks like

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 30, 2017

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Loving my draft deck. 4 wins out of 7, 3 losses. Sometimes I win by just beating down with Trueheart Twins and Gust Walkers, other times I use the manticores to rip their life away. I only added white to what was shaping up to be a red/black deck early on since it was my first pick pack 1. Here's hoping my wins keep coming!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

15 lands huh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
a land seems better then pyramid tbh

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

yeah I would definitely cut pyramid for a land, might even cut something for a second land though I think that's borderline

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Did you ever go back and edit that art director interview with all the factual errors and misattributions? I'm going to guess no.

If you actually want a full breakdown of this I can give that but if you're just gonna make Sick Burns about stuff I wrote two years ago then nah

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Drop it in the Brewhaus? I'm definitely playing black at Montreal, but don't fancy getting Heart of Kirens. I think I have most BG cards though. Would like to see if there is a Mardu deck that isn't vehicles now, I'd like to do a walker deck in those colors, see if using both Lilanas works.

Will do my man. I ended up cutting little Lili, and I haven't found room for big Lily yet.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

mandatory lesbian posted:

a land seems better then pyramid tbh

Yeah, I was gonna say at least do this - that's nuts. The pyramid's doing nothing in an aggressive deck with five-drops for the top end.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

If you actually want a full breakdown of this I can give that but if you're just gonna make Sick Burns about stuff I wrote two years ago then nah

What about sick burns on stuff you published tonight?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

christ you're catty

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

christ you're catty

I just don't want this thread to devolve into people only posting to self-promote their blogs.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
id forgotten how entertaining this thread can be :allears:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I just don't want this thread to devolve into people only posting to self-promote their blogs.

its a good thing it's only the one guy then

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

so i guess i shouldn't post a link to my blog where i argue against the reserve list and how bad edh is and the latest absurd mtgo bugs i've run up against?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

kingcobweb posted:

I generally genuinely enjoy your writing and, even if I didn't, it's different from the vast majority of generic, vapid magic writing that I'd say keep it up.

Given that I do enjoy it, please write more.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
hell we post and "analyze" the magic stories, and KCW's stuff is way better than that (except for The Greatest Piece of Fiction Ever Composed, of course)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hellsau posted:

so i guess i shouldn't post a link to my blog where i argue against the reserve list and how bad edh is and the latest absurd mtgo bugs i've run up against?

I think referring to this thread as your blog is stretching it a little

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Does KCW's blog even have ads? I have ad blockers installed like a remotely sane person but I thought he just made his money through patreon.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

Does KCW's blog even have ads? I have ad blockers installed like a remotely sane person but I thought he just made his money through patreon.

afaik it doesn't, I have adblocker on too. I certainly don't monetize it. I tried that way back when and I never got above the $10 threshold to cash out

Patreon rules, when I was at gatheringmagic they gave me $35 per column (which I had to negotiate up from $25), and they wouldn't tell me even vague traffic numbers.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I thought the bit on the top ban was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
If we're giving subjective opinions of KCW's writing - I really liked your set retrospective (to the point where I've re-read all of them at least three times) and not a single other article you have written since then, and you seem like someone I would genuinely not get along with if I met you in person.

With that said - keep it up with the writing, since the more people who write about Magic and don't work for WotC, the better.