Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

xzzy posted:

Did you get your filter? I'm thinking of buying a second filter for another camera body and like this idea of yours.

What specifically did you ask them to make?

Yeah, I was able to get that ordered and it works great with my holder. I just shot an email to pat@thousandoaksoptical.com and asked if I could get a 100mm x 100mm square of the solar filter glass. Ended up costing about $90 shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I got a whole bunch of prints made recently which turned out to be a very annoying way to find out that my monitors badly need color calibration.

I'm not tweaking things routinely so it seems silly to buy my own colorimeter, is there any way to rent one for a few days? I already asked my local camera shop's rental department (Precision Camera) and they said they don't offer them.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Headed to Europe in a few weeks and would like something better than the busted camera on my iphone for taking photos.

What's my best option for a camera that can be slipped into a jacket pocket for under $200?

Probably best to go with an older used model than a new one, correct?

I guess I'd like something small-ish and lightweight that I don't mind if it gets stolen.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Find a used copy or raise your budget to get a Sony RX100.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Under $200? Buy an olympus stylus epic for cheap and spend the rest on 35mm film (and development/scanning). If you can swing a little more the older model RX100, the original Fuji X100, and the Ricoh GR series are all decent $300 options (sometimes less actually). The x100 and the ricoh are fixed lenses tho and the x100 is pushing "pocketable".

Another option is checking out renting. I know lensrentals.com has RX100s and Fuji P&Ss, but if you are like the rest of us this is just an excuse to buy a camera.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Find the newest, highest-featured Sony point-and-shoot on your local used market that fits your budget. P&S cameras are tremendously varied and it's usually not obvious why one model costs twice as much as another. Browse your local Craigslist, google everything and try to figure out when a given camera was new and how much it cost at the time it was new. Stick with Sony, they haven't made a bad P&S for a very long time. Anything you get that's fully functional will give you pretty good photos.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Ricoh GR III or GR IV are a few years old but still deliver solid performance. I have a GR III that I took to Vietnam last year and was quite happy with the results.
Pros: Very pocket-able, full controls with only the right hand, solid construction (survived asphalt) , macro ability is really underrated, can also take AAA batteries if you're an idiot like me and leave the charger at home.
Cons: ISO above 400 is not recommended unless your using it to get that film grain look, therefore handheld low-light performance isn't as great as more modern gear, video is VGA resolution only (640x480), fixed-focal length, servo-motor for the auto-focus/lens will be noisy due to age (mine is).

Paid $200 in December 2015 but prices have dropped since then. I got it off Ebay from a Japanese camera store and the service was excellent, so I recommend that option if you can't find one locally. Alternatively there's a Canon Powershot S100 on KEH right now for $180 and that was always highly recommended by goons in the Point & Shoot thread. (https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-powershot-s100-12-1-megapixel-compact-camera-black.html)

As 8th-snype said however, camera gear is a bracket game and for an extra $100 the jump up to an original Fuji X100 or RX100 Mk1 is a substantial upgrade performance wise.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For those who use them for flashes and such, Eneloop AAs are marked down on Amazon today. $15 for an 8-pack, $29 for a 16-pack.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I am looking to upgrade from a Fuji X10 (yes, the old point-and-shoot), and I'm not sure whether I should be looking at a dSLR, a mirrorless design, or just a high-end point-and-shoot. My primary use is to take pictures of LARP fighting, and I'm usually standing on the field or right on the sidelines, so it's not distance photography. I use burst mode and take a run of pictures whenever anything interesting happens. I like to shoot lots of pictures and take the JPGs right out of the camera (I will crop, but I don't want to mess around with actual editing when I'm dealing with hundreds of photos from an event). I like to keep the camera in fully automatic mode, I don't want to be fiddling with settings. It's basically spray-and-pray photography but I'm happy with the results thus far, except for the limitations imposed by an elderly camera with a 2/3" sensor. The things I'm looking for (besides the obvious of picture clarity) are fast autofocus, a good in-camera JPG engine, long battery life, and an effective burst mode. I've been very happy with my old Fuji so I was thinking possibly the Fuji X-T20, based on reading the mirrorless thread on and off for quite a while. I have not even the slightest idea where to start if I actually were to get a dSLR, and the newbie dSLR thread seems to state that there isn't a big advantage for them over a mirrorless design. My budget is $2000. I know this question is terribly broad, but photography is a terribly broad field and I'm a total novice to it, so I appreciate any guidance.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
If you want great out of camera jpgs then stick with Fuji. The XT20 18-55mm kit would be perfect for your needs although with that budget you could feasibly get an XT2. Just buy a couple of spare wasabi batteries.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Random question and maybe someone can answer. I bought a DJI Mavic Pro and have been looking for a set of good ND filters. Amazon is a crap shoot .. anyone have any experience with this stuff?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I want to shoot video of a desktop from about 30-50cm vertically above

Any cheap and cheerful solutions?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

To be honest your own phone will probably suffice just fine

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

To be honest your own phone will probably suffice just fine

Sorry, meant solutions for mounting a camera/phone, not the device itself.

Tripods with extendable arms seem pricey and I can't find a cheap aliexpress option.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

A cheap Amazon tripod should get you that high. Like a 60inch amazon basics tripod is $24, that should get you your 30-60cm above a table/desk.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

spog posted:

Sorry, meant solutions for mounting a camera/phone, not the device itself.

Tripods with extendable arms seem pricey and I can't find a cheap aliexpress option.

You could get a light stand with a boom arm if you are gonna do something lightweight. The cheaper ones are a pain to use though so bear that in mind. Personally I'd get one of these http://a.co/frvwHzk and mount it to a beefy tripod or ladder. I have a pair of them and they are pretty sturdy.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

spog posted:

Look up casey neistats studio tour, skip to the part where he talks about his overhead rig. Its literally 5 planks held by clamps with a tripod head bolted on. It sounds cheap and bad but it works super good. Might be a bit much for your needs though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

8th-snype posted:

You could get a light stand with a boom arm if you are gonna do something lightweight. The cheaper ones are a pain to use though so bear that in mind. Personally I'd get one of these http://a.co/frvwHzk and mount it to a beefy tripod or ladder. I have a pair of them and they are pretty sturdy.

Yeah light stand or microphone stand with boom arm.

I've previously jury-rigged a webcam to a mic boom with some duct tape to record some pen-and-paper interaction design sessions, and it worked fine.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions:

tater_salad posted:

A cheap Amazon tripod should get you that high. Like a 60inch amazon basics tripod is $24, that should get you your 30-60cm above a table/desk.
I did try this with my cheapy tripod and the problem is that the angle between the desktop and the camera is too great (can't get it all in focus at the same time and the composition has too much depth to it)

8th-snype posted:

nielsm posted:

Yeah light stand or microphone stand with boom arm.

I've previously jury-rigged a webcam to a mic boom with some duct tape to record some pen-and-paper interaction design sessions, and it worked fine.

Given that I already have a tripod, I was hoping to find something like an extension pole to come off the tripod head at right angles, but I can't see a simple option. Maybe jury rig something from piping and a few bolts?

underage at the vape shop posted:

Look up casey neistats studio tour, skip to the part where he talks about his overhead rig. Its literally 5 planks held by clamps with a tripod head bolted on. It sounds cheap and bad but it works super good. Might be a bit much for your needs though.

Funnily enough, that was my inspiration. While wood would be easy to make, it does make a bulky affair that can't be easily stored
Maybe I could make a box out of MDF with hinged joints and mount some LEDs inside it....

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

tater_salad posted:

How are those? I still need my first tripod and I've generally liked Amazon Basics products across the board. Is there anything I should know before grabbing one of them?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Kilometers Davis posted:

How are those? I still need my first tripod and I've generally liked Amazon Basics products across the board. Is there anything I should know before grabbing one of them?

They work fine. If you're using it in a studio/stationary environment, there's no real reason to get lightweight tripods.

The second you start lugging them around to shoots/travel, you begin to understand why people shell out the big bucks for carbon fiber.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
A cheap tripod is better than no tripod, but be aware that portable stability costs and a cheap tripod will generally not be as stable a platform as you might like - especially if you are using bigger lenses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The main issue on the cheap stuff is setting the position precisely. You loosen a screw a little bit, move the camera where you want, crank down on the screw, let go of the camera.. and it instantly settles a couple degrees lower than you wanted. So you get into this endless game of trying to guess how much slack your tripod head has and outsmarting it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Cheap
Stable
Light

Pick two

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah all of my out of the house shooting at this point is done via handholding my 50mm and the tripod use will be all inside or at worst outside on the patio or backyard for puppy shoots. I mainly want one so I can start shooting some YouTube guitar videos and messing around with getting better product images for selling things online. Are there any competitors to the Amazon Basics tripod at the same price point I should look at?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

spog posted:

Thanks for the suggestions:

I did try this with my cheapy tripod and the problem is that the angle between the desktop and the camera is too great (can't get it all in focus at the same time and the composition has too much depth to it)

Given that I already have a tripod, I was hoping to find something like an extension pole to come off the tripod head at right angles, but I can't see a simple option. Maybe jury rig something from piping and a few bolts?

Funnily enough, that was my inspiration. While wood would be easy to make, it does make a bulky affair that can't be easily stored
Maybe I could make a box out of MDF with hinged joints and mount some LEDs inside it....

Just buy the arms I linked then. Extend the the tripod and use the clamp to grab the center column. You may need to weight down the tripod so it's more stable but that's how I'd do it. You should be able to screw 2 of the arms together to get 22" of extension.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah all of my out of the house shooting at this point is done via handholding my 50mm and the tripod use will be all inside or at worst outside on the patio or backyard for puppy shoots. I mainly want one so I can start shooting some YouTube guitar videos and messing around with getting better product images for selling things online. Are there any competitors to the Amazon Basics tripod at the same price point I should look at?

Most ultra cheap tripods are exactly the same - as in they are completely identical and probably even from the same production line, just with different brand decals applied. I had a cheap and lovely Hama tripod, my girlfriend had an Amazon Basics one, and the only physical difference beyond the branding was that mine came with a bag.

I'd really recommend getting a decent tripod. You might not think you'll use it much, but I can tell you that when you see the difference it can make even with regular cityscape shots, you'll want to use it more.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Question: I am looking for a small camera bag: this bag is gong to have to fit in the "personal item" category, as I have a carry on bag I use for my luggage. Requirements are that it is able to hold 2 mirrorless cameras (A7IIs), and 3 lenses (ideally both lenses on camera), the lenses are slight telephoto, (85mm) wide angle zoom (16-35) and wide (35mm 1.8).

Thank you all in advance

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Most messenger bags should be able to handle that. A quick look at LowePro's Bag Finder tool spits out pretty much their entire range of messengers. If you aren't carrying anything else in it except those cameras and a few small accessories, then I can't imagine you'll push the limits of most brands' messenger bags. I fly a lot and I am usually carrying a regular carryon bag plus a messenger bag with a padded insert for camera gear (the actual bag is a kevlar Planetside 2 bag I got from Sony years ago when I worked their stand at E3) and I've never had any hassle carrying it through as a personal item.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Ryand-Smith posted:

Question: I am looking for a small camera bag: this bag is gong to have to fit in the "personal item" category, as I have a carry on bag I use for my luggage. Requirements are that it is able to hold 2 mirrorless cameras (A7IIs), and 3 lenses (ideally both lenses on camera), the lenses are slight telephoto, (85mm) wide angle zoom (16-35) and wide (35mm 1.8).

Thank you all in advance

You want a Peak Designs 13 everyday messenger. I flew to the east coast with an xpro2, 5 lenses, flash, external HDD, kindle, iPad, and cords for everything in mine. It fit under the seat with zero problems. It's also small enough when not packed for travel to actually use everyday without being bulky.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Helen Highwater posted:

Most ultra cheap tripods are exactly the same - as in they are completely identical and probably even from the same production line, just with different brand decals applied. I had a cheap and lovely Hama tripod, my girlfriend had an Amazon Basics one, and the only physical difference beyond the branding was that mine came with a bag.

I'd really recommend getting a decent tripod. You might not think you'll use it much, but I can tell you that when you see the difference it can make even with regular cityscape shots, you'll want to use it more.

Cheers for this advice. Not to instantly go against your points but I'm pretty close to grabbing the Amazon one. Is there anything under around $60 or so that would last me a good while or at that level am I best going cheap?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
There are two (well more than two) amazon tripods And they are very different.

The 60 is the one with the centre pole and stabilizing between that and be legs; all tripods like that in that price range are going to be bad.

The 62 is much better, sturdier, but apparently they don't sell it anymore? I have one and it's okay.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Wild EEPROM posted:

There are two (well more than two) amazon tripods And they are very different.

The 60 is the one with the centre pole and stabilizing between that and be legs; all tripods like that in that price range are going to be bad.

The 62 is much better, sturdier, but apparently they don't sell it anymore? I have one and it's okay.

I have that same 62" one and can confirm that it's good. Very heavy duty and durable, but heavy is a plus and a minus. It's the same as the Ravelli APGL4 on Amazon, which is apparently being marked up higher than it used to cost.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Bought a nice big backpack today. Anyone have after-market recommendations for padded inserts? I just went with the wisdom of 'buy a nice bag, add nice parts' rather than try to buy a camera-dedicated bag now and find out I outgrew it in a couple of years.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ernie. posted:

Bought a nice big backpack today. Anyone have after-market recommendations for padded inserts? I just went with the wisdom of 'buy a nice bag, add nice parts' rather than try to buy a camera-dedicated bag now and find out I outgrew it in a couple of years.

Look at the Crumpler camera bag inserts.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Anyone can recommend a good place to get my Nikon F3 CLAed? Mine is developing an annoying habit of shutter button not working (the manual shutter lever seems to be ok, so its not a shutter issue). Someone mentioned it might be dirt under the button, and this camera could use some servicing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Putrid Grin posted:

Anyone can recommend a good place to get my Nikon F3 CLAed? Mine is developing an annoying habit of shutter button not working (the manual shutter lever seems to be ok, so its not a shutter issue). Someone mentioned it might be dirt under the button, and this camera could use some servicing.

I've had this place http://www.cameratechs.com/ do some repair and CLA work for me. They do good work, not sure how they compare pricewise to other places since I'm local and just drive my stuff over to them.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Putrid Grin posted:

Precision Camera in Austin do a lot of work on F3 bodies and should be able to fix it. Give them a ring. I'm sure some of the more experienced goons will know of potentially other specialist Nikon repair places, but Precision's work always seemed top-notch to me.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
My friends and I are taking a trip to Japan next summer and I wanted to start preparing now. I have a Pentax ME Super and and Fuji X-E1, are there any must have lenses for the ME Super that could be adapted to the Fuji? Other than packing plenty of batteries and getting a good bag, what else should I bring?

Also, are there any budget conscious film cameras out there that are fun for travel? I was thinking of grabbing an instax for my friends to pass around but they're kinda big.

Lastly, are there any cool photo/camera stores in Tokyo I should visit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

RobotDogPolice posted:

are there any cool photo/camera stores in Tokyo I should visit?
I went to Akihabara and it had Yodobashi Camera, a huge electronics store with an entire floor dedicated to cameras. Don't expect to get bargains, though, I've read that Japan isn't particularly a good place to buy photo stuff.