Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You could throw a couple in a little cider vinegar and pickle em and make a pretty mean vinaigrette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Lawnie posted:

I once tried to make fermented hot sauce from home grown habaneros. I saw elsewhere on the internet that I could cover the mixture with cheesecloth under an open mason jar rim, and it grew mold. So if you go that route, do better research than mine.

This post reminded me that I should probably throw away my own fermented hot sauce if I haven't already. I forgot I made that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lawnie posted:

I once tried to make fermented hot sauce from home grown habaneros. I saw elsewhere on the internet that I could cover the mixture with cheesecloth under an open mason jar rim, and it grew mold. So if you go that route, do better research than mine.
For fermenting peppers I've had good luck with using an airlock jar. I've got a couple airlock lid things that work on quart mason jars, but you can get giant fermentation crocks that work the same way if you need to ferment gallons of poo poo at a time.

Of course success with fermenting depends a lot on local conditions. I never have trouble doing easy-to-ferment poo poo without special precautions (e.g. can make kimchi or lacto-fermented pickles in a cambro on the countertop). I get slime on peppers occasionally when trying to ferment them in the open air (basically what you're describing) but have never had fermentation fail in an airlock jar.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

That Works posted:

Not that I've seen. Maybe if you used a whole lot of it? How much did you add?

2-4 per 1/2 lb beans. So it's probably either cloves (I'd do 2-4 cloves), the cinnamon (a few inch chunks), or the beans. Haven't had bitter beans in a while as I've gradually started using different spices.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eeyo posted:

2-4 per 1/2 lb beans. So it's probably either cloves (I'd do 2-4 cloves), the cinnamon (a few inch chunks), or the beans. Haven't had bitter beans in a while as I've gradually started using different spices.

Can't speak for the cloves or cinnamon since I don't use them in my beans, but too much cinnamon definitely can get bitter.

Also for Bay leaves I never use more than 1-2 per lb. Again, since I never tried that many, can't be sure if that's the cause. Personally I'd suspect the cinnamon.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Okay, I need some help with finding recipes. A new romantic partner wants me to make some Austrian/Germanic comfort food this Thursday due to an already stressful week. They would like me to make wienerschnitzel, spaetzle, and jagerschnitzel gravy. I normally just look up recipes by Kenji Lopez-Alt, but he has nothing for this. Could some kind folks point me toward good recipes for these or post their own? Thank you!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If you search my posts in this thread the very first few are of my adventures in making spaetzle for the first time. Can't help with the rest, though.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Wiener Schnitzel is like making tonkatsu, milanesa, veal parmesan, country-fried steak, etc. Veal (or pork) (probably from the loin) pounded flat, breaded in seasoned crumbs, and fried.

Jagerschnitzel just means wienerschnitzel served with a (perhaps boozy, perhaps lightened with cream) brown mushroom gravy instead of a twist of lemon.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
This article describes pretty much how I make a Wienerschnitzel, except I've never added cream to the egg mix while breading:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/may/28/how-to-make-the-perfect-wiener-schnitzel

The most important things to remember are using both flour then egg before breadcrumbs, and making sure you have enough oil in your frying pan before frying. If you mess up the former then your coating will fall off, if you mess up the latter then you will end up with patches of dry breadcrumbs on your schnitzel.

I've never made spaetzle, but I had spaetzle baked with cheese sauce in Berlin and it was great. Not much help I know :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah schnitzel is pretty easy to make. My favorite is veal and it's the "original" Vienna recipe, but pork works really well too.

And the sauce I usually do is a mushroom shallot cream sauce with some German brandy (Asbach). I don't know how traditional it is but it's good.

Have some chopped curly parsley for garnish.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A couple friends of ours are having us for dinner this weekend, and neither of them can eat gluten. Even so I want to bring some food over, like an appetizer or whatever. Suggestions on stuff to look into?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Maybe mochi cake for dessert? Gluten-free, delicious, and probably not something they've had before. They also have a coconut version on that site, if that's more your style.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

C-Euro posted:

A couple friends of ours are having us for dinner this weekend, and neither of them can eat gluten. Even so I want to bring some food over, like an appetizer or whatever. Suggestions on stuff to look into?
Salad?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgVyWObtvRk

I have a couple ideas, just wondering if anyone here has made any particularly good GF stuff lately.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

C-Euro posted:

They are your friends, so you probably know what you're doing, but...when I invite people over for dinner, it will be carefully planned. Even though I will give you a smile and a thank you, in my heart I will definitely not appreciate it when you bring food over yourself.
Unless you've let me know in advance of course.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I'm interested in trying some "Soul Food", not in the US so I don't really have any frame of reference or a place to start, but whenever I've heard it talked about it sounds so good. Wanna keep it relatively simple to begin with and from little research I've done it seems like the basics are fried chicken, collard greens and mac and cheese and some cornbread on the side? Any suggestions on where to start?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I have a couple ideas, just wondering if anyone here has made any particularly good GF stuff lately.
Flourless chocolate cake?

http://www.marthastewart.com/344293/flourless-chocolate-cake

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

screaden posted:

So I'm interested in trying some "Soul Food", not in the US so I don't really have any frame of reference or a place to start, but whenever I've heard it talked about it sounds so good. Wanna keep it relatively simple to begin with and from little research I've done it seems like the basics are fried chicken, collard greens and mac and cheese and some cornbread on the side? Any suggestions on where to start?

Fried or blackened catfish
Black eyed peas
Chitterlings/chitlins (pig intestines)
Hamhocks
Hoppin John
Okra
Grits
Hush Puppies

Kevin Belton, Emeril, and Paula Deen should have recipes for all of those online. They are more southern or Louisiana cooking but they have a lot in common.

Please consult your physician before consuming on a regular basis.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

screaden posted:

I like Alton Brown's red beans and rice recipe. I've never gone to the trouble of following his instructions for pickled pork, though. I use a package of ham chips or pork jowls instead.

Bob Morales posted:

This is a good comment — as far as I understand it, a lot of soul food recipes (the beans and rice and vegetables recipes anyway) seem to rely on smoked, salted, fatty cuts of pork or turkey you normally wouldn't eat, but that add a lot of flavor when used in long-simmering recipes. I definitely believe in treating yourself to the real thing every once in a while, but with the right substitutions (e.g., drained bacon, lean ham, a good pork stock skimmed of fat, chicken broth and liquid smoke, brown rice), a lot of the beans and rice recipes like hoppin' john can be fairly cheap, nutritious meals to make in big batches.

If you like history, there's a lot more to soul food that has to do with its origins in enslaved society in the US and its race and class baggage that makes me think of this scene from Boardwalk Empire, but that's about all I know.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I have a thin end of a beef tenderloin leftover, about a foot long, that I'd like to roast tonight. Would it be a good idea to cut it in half and tie the two halves together with twine in such a way that they make a more even shape?

Also, anyone have a good recipe for roast tenderloin?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

If it has a think and thin end like a pork tenderloin, you can just fold over and tie the thin side to form a more cylindrical shade.
With that you should be able to reverse sear it and have it all come out to your preferred doneness.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I made the jagerschnitzel and the romantic partner made the spaetzle and brought fancy German beer. Thanks for the help, everyone!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that looks amazing

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

fr0id posted:

I made the jagerschnitzel and the romantic partner made the spaetzle and brought fancy German beer. Thanks for the help, everyone!

that looks tasty, and also I have the same IKEA cutlery

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Fried or blackened catfish
Black eyed peas
Chitterlings/chitlins (pig intestines)
Hamhocks
Hoppin John
Okra
Grits
Hush Puppies

Kevin Belton, Emeril, and Paula Deen should have recipes for all of those online. They are more southern or Louisiana cooking but they have a lot in common.

DasNeonLicht posted:

I like Alton Brown's red beans and rice recipe. I've never gone to the trouble of following his instructions for pickled pork, though. I use a package of ham chips or pork jowls instead.

This is a good comment — as far as I understand it, a lot of soul food recipes (the beans and rice and vegetables recipes anyway) seem to rely on smoked, salted, fatty cuts of pork or turkey you normally wouldn't eat, but that add a lot of flavor when used in long-simmering recipes. I definitely believe in treating yourself to the real thing every once in a while, but with the right substitutions (e.g., drained bacon, lean ham, a good pork stock skimmed of fat, chicken broth and liquid smoke, brown rice), a lot of the beans and rice recipes like hoppin' john can be fairly cheap, nutritious meals to make in big batches.

If you like history, there's a lot more to soul food that has to do with its origins in enslaved society in the US and its race and class baggage that makes me think of this scene from Boardwalk Empire, but that's about all I know.

Oh absolutely, it's not something I've had before so I'd like to try it (except for fried chicken), but have no plans on eating it regularly. The historical context is something that does interest me too. Once again, from the little research I have done, my understanding was that it was often cheap (or free), with easy to find ingredients or offcuts and really calorie dense to account for the hard manual labour.

Also, thanks for reminding me that I still have to watch Boardwalk Empire

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fr0id posted:

That is a pro as hell Weizen. Don't let this one go.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

DasNeonLicht posted:

Seconding the Alton Brown red beans and rice recipe. I do the pickled pork as well every time I make it, and it is delicious. I'm also not in the US, so it's nice to make things like this as a treat.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

JawKnee posted:

I have a thin end of a beef tenderloin leftover, about a foot long, that I'd like to roast tonight. Would it be a good idea to cut it in half and tie the two halves together with twine in such a way that they make a more even shape?

Also, anyone have a good recipe for roast tenderloin?

You could cut it into a few pieces and meat glue some bacon between them, making for a big, fatty, delicious roast.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

fr0id posted:

I shouldn't read GWS posts before dinner dammit. That looks tasty as hell.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Look up Edna Lewis for soul food. There are some recipes online but I'd really recommend reading one of her books too.

If you are trying to learn about soul food you should make an effort to look to Black chefs and authors.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
A friend has a bunch of bone marrow left over. I can't use it right away but I'm thinking about freezing it and throwing it into the next stew or potroast I make. Anybody ever do this or know if it'll make a difference? Any other suggestions for leftover marrow would also be appreciated.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

lifts cats over head posted:

A friend has a bunch of bone marrow left over. I can't use it right away but I'm thinking about freezing it and throwing it into the next stew or potroast I make. Anybody ever do this or know if it'll make a difference? Any other suggestions for leftover marrow would also be appreciated.

That's going to be a lot of fat you're gonna skim off for the amount of meaty flavor you're gonna add to the soup and it might come across greasy in a stew

Roasted marrows are nice to spread on toast with herbs and something sour like capers

I've tried an ice cream but it was kind of.. rich

Some other ideas I haven't tried:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/how-to-eat-cook-bone-marrow.html

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Who can recommend some specific Spanish cookbooks? I have The Basque Book and Pintxos, but I'm looking for some non-Basque Spanish food as well.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Steve Yun posted:

That's going to be a lot of fat you're gonna skim off for the amount of meaty flavor you're gonna add to the soup and it might come across greasy in a stew

Roasted marrows are nice to spread on toast with herbs and something sour like capers

I've tried an ice cream but it was kind of.. rich

Some other ideas I haven't tried:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/how-to-eat-cook-bone-marrow.html

Do you think it's worth freezing or is it likely to lose a significant amount of quality?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It'll freeze fine. Just use it within 6 months (or a year if you vacuum seal) because fats can still go rancid in the freezer

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I had really good cheddar-jalapeno mashed potatoes a few weeks back. Is making something like that as easy as melting some kinda cheese in mashed potatoes, or does it require something fancy?

Also, any recommendations for something to put in egg salad? The one I make is a little plain, and besides some chives/green onions, there's not much else in it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 30, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ideas for super easy picnic foods? Nothing perishable -- most of the ideas I'm googling up are like fried chicken, grilled shrimp, potato salad, cheese board and wine. Which is fine if you're driving to the site and eating next to your car I guess? But we're walking a bunch first, and I'm not lugging ice packs.

Already on the list: grapes (possibly frozen at first), sugar snap peas, spiced cashews, chocolate with hazelnuts. And wipes for when we accidentally cover ourselves in melted chocolate.

I kind of want something that's more of a main dish, but a couple more small things would be okay too. I could do peanut butter with apples and celery, but it seems so lame?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Is it sane to buy a case of beef cheeks for home use?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like turtles posted:

Is it sane to buy a case of beef cheeks for home use?

You could freeze them and then pull them out whenever you wanna make a bitchin' ragu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Pollyanna posted:

I had really good cheddar-jalapeno mashed potatoes a few weeks back. Is making something like that as easy as melting some kinda cheese in mashed potatoes, or does it require something fancy?

Also, any recommendations for something to put in egg salad? The one I make is a little plain, and besides some chives/green onions, there's not much else in it.

Put the cheese in witg the potatoes before you mash them

For your egg salad, try finely sliced celery or well shredded bacon. Garnish with a good sprinkle of sumac.