Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

enjoy your big slow local boy, nucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

my mistake

they actually only needed to get to overtime once

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
get that big WHL gently caress, sign Kovy, 10th seed inc

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
eat a gently caress vancouver ha ha

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/s...009%26page%3D18

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

violent sex idiot posted:

eat a gently caress vancouver ha ha

My best friend is a die-hard Canucks fan and watching him today was like seeing an 8 year old being told no one loves him.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Wippersnapper posted:

Being a fan of the Vancouver Canucks sucks.

Who's the best pick at 5?

Whoever it is, Benning will not pick him.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Scorchy posted:

Whoever it is, Benning will not pick him.

There's a prospect with the last name Geekie or something like that so I think Canucks have to take him

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Go Vees Go

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I thought the coyotes were going to get karmically adjusted for beating the canucks in the second to last game of the year but it only half worked out

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I didn't realize there was that much debate over Hischier vs. Patrick.

Hischier did look loving great at the WJC.

quote:

Ray Shero, New Jersey Devils General Manager
"Yes please, I'll take either. How's that?

"They’re outstanding players and Nolan, he’s obviously with injuries this year, I think it's been difficult, but everybody recognizes the talent he has and certainly hockey pedigree. And you see a kid from Switzerland with that kind of talent and you’re looking for centre icemen, but I think everybody in this position is not just looking for centre icemen, you’re looking for good players. And there are a number of good players here.

"Over the last couple of years you’ve had generational players and it's nice to see them prove it on the ice and you see a kid like Auston Matthews get 44 goals this year, from Arizona, that's fantastic. And obviously Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel, all these guys.

"In those drafts everybody’s got 1-2 and then from three to 10 maybe everybody’s got a different list — I think everybody might have a different list from one to eight at this point.

"I can’t speak for other teams, I think, if we had the first overall pick, I think we have a pretty good idea, but again, I'd love to have that problem."

quote:

1st round CHL picks since lockout with higher GPG% of team GPG than Nico:
Tavares: 29%
Stamkos: 25.7%
Kane: 23.4%

Hischier: 22.6%

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 30, 2017

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Burn it all down.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

LumpyGumby posted:

Burn it all down.

This is the price the Avs have been fated to pay for winning Claude Lemieux a Cup.

Then again NJ also won him a Cup...

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Montreal did it first, technically.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Furnaceface posted:

This is the price the Avs have been fated to pay for winning Claude Lemieux a Cup.

Then again NJ also won him a Cup...

They won him two Cups.

CLEARLY, we didn't win him enough.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NHL loser city, now with even more losing.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

HOLY poo poo THE FLYERS GOT THE SECOND PICK?!!!!!

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
The Wings missed the top two picks by one digit

https://twitter.com/MikeyJ_MMA/status/858487334358175744

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

im dumb explain this voodoo to me

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I think they have a book of combinations and they have to look it up on the chart to see who wins.

Gotta love the analog solution they have.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Yeah they're not picking lottery balls with team logos on them. Each team gets a series of four digit numbers with the worst teams getting more combinations.

Here's a good explanation http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/4/29/15483790/2017-nhl-draft-lottery-odds-how-it-works

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
If some still thinks draft lotteries are a good idea I invite you to kiss this dilz

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

T-Bone posted:

I didn't realize there was that much debate over Hischier vs. Patrick.

Hischier did look loving great at the WJC.

There's no consensus right now:

http://www.tsn.ca/patrick-hischier-in-tight-race-for-no-1-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.736258

quote:

For TSN's Draft Lottery edition, five scouts ranked the 6-foot-2, 198-pound Patrick No. 1; five scouts ranked the 6-foot-1, 176-pound Hischier No. 1. The Swiss pivot has closed the gap with his dynamic play, which came at a time when Patrick's injury-riddled season was ended prematurely by an upper-body ailment that wasn’t related to the groin/abdominal issues that plagued him for the first half of the season.

In order to break the Nolan-Nico dead heat, TSN decided to survey another 10 scouts representing another 10 teams and – yup, you guessed it – five named Patrick as No. 1 and five put Hischier at No. 1.

Twenty NHL teams; another deadlock.

In order to break the tie, TSN surveyed three more scouts from three more teams. Patrick got two votes for No. 1; Hischier got one.

Advantage, ever so slightly (12-11), goes to Patrick.

the swiss boy is beautiful so i lean him

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I saw one of the BSH writers talking about Nico on twitter. What in the world are they-

triple sulk posted:

HOLY poo poo THE FLYERS GOT THE SECOND PICK?!!!!!

:circlefap:

:tastykake::tastykake::tastykake::tastykake::tastykake::tastykake:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

LumpyGumby posted:

They won him two Cups.

CLEARLY, we didn't win him enough.

well I mean he kinda won the first one

corn on the cop posted:

There's no consensus right now:

http://www.tsn.ca/patrick-hischier-in-tight-race-for-no-1-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.736258

the swiss boy is beautiful so i lean him

Yeah I think I'd rather have the higher end skill but I dunno if Patrick ends up a Benn/Getzlaf type that'd be cool. Knowing Shero though he's leaning Patrick.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The draft lottery rules hahaha. Congrats to Devils and Flyers fans.

No actually gently caress those two teams. Luckily this is isn't a great lottery to win but probably better than Yak City.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hall-Hischier-Kovalchuk
Henrique-Zajac-Palmieri
Zacha-McLeod-Cammalleri
Wood-Quenneville-Bennett
Blandisi/DSP

Greene-Severson
Moore-Shattenkirk
Merrill-Santini
Mozik

Schneider
Kinkaid

eXXon posted:

No actually gently caress those two teams. Luckily this is isn't a great lottery to win but probably better than Yak City.

devils need to sign Yak

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
drat if Hischier or Patrick pan out the Flyers have a pretty good amount of talent.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

drat if Hischier or Patrick pan out the Flyers have a pretty good amount of talent.

Which they would squader if they keep Dave Hakstol around.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Tanking has been a bigger problem in the league than teams being endemically bad since at least 2003. This draft system is a massive improvement on the old one.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

glynnenstein posted:

Tanking has been a bigger problem in the league than teams being endemically bad since at least 2003. This draft system is a massive improvement on the old one.

How does this improve on it? Teams are still incentived to tank.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

glynnenstein posted:

who gives a gently caress if teams tank

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I didn't say it was perfect. I'd prefer a system that tried to capture what teams have been trying to win but are missing pieces; give the best chance to teams trying to be good and win games but falling short.

This system is a big improvement over teams being assured reward for intentionally losing as much as possible, a low bar.

Gio posted:

who gives a gently caress if teams tank

It creates distortions across the league that mess with totally unrelated games. We've seen what weird poo poo happens when one division is bad all at once without having had the added poo poo of tanking teams ending up being in the same competetive unit. It's also terrible for fans of teams that have to deal with being hopelessly lovely for years.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 30, 2017

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The draft system is a failure judged solely on its results because it rewarded incompetent shitstain Kevin Lowe with McDavid and now the Oilers are in the 2nd round and might make the conference finals.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

are the teams tanking not deserving of the top picks though? philly has the best player in the world and they end up with the #2 pick

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

eXXon posted:

The draft system is a failure judged solely on its results because it rewarded incompetent shitstain Kevin Lowe with McDavid and now the Oilers are in the 2nd round and might make the conference finals.

i wouldn't care one way or the other if they didn't keep tinkering with it and having the results be the complete opposite of what i want

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

It creates distortions across the league that mess with totally unrelated games. We've seen what weird poo poo happens when one division is bad all at once without having had the added poo poo of tanking teams ending up being in the same competetive unit. It's also terrible for fans of teams that have to deal with being hopelessly lovely for years.

This is retarded. gently caress you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

tanking is for many teams "trying to be good". perpetual mediocrity with no future prospects is worse than being at the bottom.

• Locked thread